• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Rifle Painting Tutorial

Re: Rifle Painting Tutorial

1st try on a camo job. Frankenrifle with ugly old parts, needed something to clean it up. Didn't have the stones to do the scope. All done with Krylon Fusion Camo paint. Base coat of OD, camo net for snakeskin sprayed with tan. It was too light to suit me, so using grass out of the back 40, I shot OD and brown over it to tone it down. The mag pouch in the pics is a 511 tactical that started out black. Tan base over that, same grass and color as on rifle.

DSCN0524e.jpg

DSCN0522e.jpg

DSCN0518e.jpg

DSCN0526e.jpg

Got a little carried away....went away from camo on a paint job on an AR.......surely not for everyone but should definitely put a smile on the wife's face

2010-07-16173129.jpg

Great tutorial... after painting an old 10/22 stock I took a shot at the new (plain black) H-S Precision on my 700.

Not sure how often it is mentioned, but wearing gloves and a face mask would have been an excellent idea. Another note - once you get it looking 'pretty good' it is time to STOP. Instead, I painted for a good two hours, got paint all over my hands, and had paint in my nose hairs!

I will post pics once everything it put back together. Thanks to the 'hide' and OP for this thread.

Well I stumbled across this thread after thinking about putting the rattle can to one of my rifles and I think I am officially inspired. Here is a job I did on my 22-250 a few years ago but I was only brave enough to do the stock. I used fishnet stockings for the pattern. I believe I have the courage now to attempt painting the entire rifle so my 10FP is about to be the next victim.

DSC01339.jpg

DSC01338.jpg

DSC01336.jpg

ArcticT

I know the fishnet stocking process is an easy set-up, but you did a great job. The colors almost seem to shift when the angle changes. You can use a rubber band tied around one strand of the fishnet,around what ever your painting and back to another strand of fishnet to help your pattern show up in the shallow sections...

Here is one I went a totally different direction with last week.

Vietnam memorial wall / woodland camo
VIETWL2.jpg

Vietcomplete.jpg

VIETWL1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arcticT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I stumbled across this thread after thinking about putting the rattle can to one of my rifles and I think I am officially inspired. Here is a job I did on my 22-250 a few years ago but I was only brave enough to do the stock. I used fishnet stockings for the pattern. I believe I have the courage now to attempt painting the entire rifle so my 10FP is about to be the next victim.

DSC01339.jpg

DSC01338.jpg

DSC01336.jpg

</div></div>

I think I understand using the fishnets over a base coat and under the final 2 to get the pattern, but what order did you lay down the layers?

Hey guys..
Here is some FREE stuff you might enjoy.

1. If your looking for FREE camouflage patterns / stencils go here:
http://www.printmini.com/printables/mil/index.shtml
http://tacticalcamo.com/MARPAT/digi.php

2. If you looking for FREE military letters and number stencils, then go here:
http://www.airsoftretreat.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=632

3. If you want FREE military shapes stencils then go here:
http://www.juststencils.com/craft-stencils/shapes/military?limit=all
http://www.spraypaintstencils.com/militarystencils/stencilindex.html

4. If you happen to airbrush, well then here’s a GREAT site for you to check out.. Tons of special effects, how to’s, etc.
http://airbrushtricks.com/start/airbrush-videos/airbrush-tutorials.html

I hope this information helps someone..

Have a great one team

Link

Ruger 10/22, did this one last winter. Rides in the flat bottom boat at least 3 times a week to limit the Nutria population...
Just cut off some of the natural Veg around the farm with a base coat of Ultra Flat Khaki, then added Olive, Brown, and Black...

22Shoot001ab2.jpg

Got bored, and hit the Mini-14 last winter also....

Mini-14003a.jpg

Well thanks to this Thread I decided I'd have a go at painting my cheapo Savage 64f .22lr. I can honestly say I didn't put enough prep into it, and it didn't turn out the way I wanted. I plan to resand and go with the digicamo in the next week. Hope you guys enjoy the 64f.

basecoat.jpg

This is the Base coat in Ultra Flat Khaki

topacn.jpg

This is a top view of the overall rifle after a complete painting.

hopefully.jpg

And of course this is a side on view of the completed rifle. Definitely not what I was hoping for but as a first attempt I'm moderately pleased with it.

All of you guys have done such amazing jobs on your firearms, and I only hope to achieve the greatness when I paint my Savage 110 .30-06.

Kinyocase

Extremely helpful thread, gonna attempt to paint my AR tomorrow. If it comes out as planned I'll post some pics.

About to start painting but I have a question: It is about 50 degrees in my garage, will the paint adhere normally or do i need the parts to be warmer?

Does Krylon hold up pretty well? I dont know where yall find the balls to paint those expensive scopes. I just cant get the guts to paint my NF. I might have to give this a shot!!! Great looking rifles!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, holds up fine and easy to touch up. </div></div>

I agree with pat. Holds up better than I thought it would

So here is my first shot at this. This is an old stock that I had lying around and just wanted to try this before I actually did this with my good rifles. I want some opinions from some experts... How do you think it looks? With or without the olive?

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

My wife decided she should give painting a stock a try. Something a little different for the forum. She ended up painting her Taurus Millenium Pro PT111. Hope you guys enjoy it.

pt111painted.jpg

i wanted to remove my old krylon paint from my stock and do it all new. can someone tell me whats the best removal method besides sanding? i have an AICS and sanding that slightly textured molded in finish would be bad. is thinner bad for that plastic? any info woud help!!

The army manual says to use clp and elbow grease. I recommend you not use that technique;)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">acetone and several rags, wet and rub.

use gloves. </div></div>

Please use some form of eye protection if you use acetone. Cant stress that enough.

I painted my AI the other night using this method. It's the first time I've used the grass method, I've always used snipers veil but I like the way it turned out. I couldn't talk myself into painting the S&B though so I just wrapped some veil around it.

DSCF0086.jpg

DSCF0089.jpg

Stumbled on this thread and figured id post my .22 stock paint.

Might do it to my SPS, not sure yet though.
its hard to commit to painting it or leaving it blacked out.

22stock3.jpg

22stock2.jpg

Yeah im wearing two different socks, big deal

Thanks Bro!! I like the additional lines yours has. There is alot more depth contrast to yours. I will be getting a Manners stock (hopefully) pretty soon for my 10PC. I am undecided on what exactly to do with the camo job.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Bro!! I like the additional lines yours has. There is alot more depth contrast to yours. I will be getting a Manners stock (hopefully) pretty soon for my 10PC. I am undecided on what exactly to do with the camo job.

DK </div></div>

I like the idea of a full camo job, but cant push myself to paint my scope and rifle.
frown.gif
Ill just stick with the stock

I personally don't like to paint my actions or scopes. I can never seem to leave my camo jobs alone, so I don't wish to constantly have to remove the paint from them. I typically don't even strip the paint off the stocks either, I just rough them up and reshoot them. Easier that way...

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MANIMAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So here is my first shot at this. This is an old stock that I had lying around and just wanted to try this before I actually did this with my good rifles. I want some opinions from some experts... How do you think it looks? With or without the olive?

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg
</div></div>

Can't believe you didn't get any responses. Or maybe you did and I just overlooked them. I like what you did and I like it better with the olive paint.

Manimal,
I think that looks great! I would leave the green in. If you were in the desert southwest you might not need it, but you must have some green in NC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MANIMAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So here is my first shot at this. This is an old stock that I had lying around and just wanted to try this before I actually did this with my good rifles. I want some opinions from some experts... How do you think it looks? With or without the olive?

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

[url="http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww163"]http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww163[/url]
/reelfootduckhuntin/IMG_0041.jpg </div></div>

Nice job on the paint ,,, I just tried my hand at the grass camo on a crossbow ,, It looks ok ,, but Ill be wasting a few cans of Krylon on cardboard before i try it on a rifle ,,
Again nice work

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arcticT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I stumbled across this thread after thinking about putting the rattle can to one of my rifles and I think I am officially inspired. Here is a job I did on my 22-250 a few years ago but I was only brave enough to do the stock. I used fishnet stockings for the pattern. I believe I have the courage now to attempt painting the entire rifle so my 10FP is about to be the next victim.

DSC01339.jpg

DSC01338.jpg

DSC01336.jpg

</div></div>
I'd really like to know how you did this. I've been trying to do a snakeskin that was seamless using laundry bags. The fishnets look like the way to go. Can you give details about your color order from base up and how you got the colors to look 3D? I have stalled out on my current project trying to get this right.
Thanks,
Corey

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah im wearing two different socks, big deal</div></div>

Yeah, but (like me) I'm sure you have another pair just like it in the drawer!
grin.gif

"That's my excuse, and I'm stickin' with it ".
crazy.gif

You painters....a different breed. Make it all sound so simple. Some of us can't even paint the wind as it blows by.

here's my tan multicam job i did a couple weeks ago on my new 260 build. I used air dry cerakote.

DSC00315.jpg

DSC00316.jpg

DSC00317.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VIET</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Which brand is the best for painting Dura coat or kylon brand ? Thank you</div></div>
Do you wan't it to actually protect your gun, or do you just want a cosmetic "make-up" to be able to come off and re-apply with the seasons? I don't say that as a negative because if you're using it to hunt with and are constantly changing the color of the season, krylon may be a good option. (although I would still do cerakote as a base color)

I would HIGHLY recommend Cerakote for you're pattern, but only if you're 99% sure of the color/pattern that you're gonna go with.
It can be modified with a second or 3rd layer...but you're better off doing it right the first time if you're using a dedicated gun cote product.

My attempt at snake skin. Still crude, but it's only Krylon on this one, easy to remove and try again. Going to try a more random pattern next time.
PICT0013-2.jpg