• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Rifle Painting Tutorial

Re: Rifle Painting Tutorial

Thanks punkpigpen. I see plenty of room for improvement on this one. I'll save some money back and get my airbrush replaced and get some more Duracoat and see if I can do better next time. I want this down perfect before I do my brothers rifle for him. the Krylon wasn't very user friendly for detail work.

Guys I've done a few rifles, and Aervo paint is by far better than Krylon. It takes a little longer to dry, but holds up better and to me looks better.

One of my humble paintings...
P5180156.jpg

P5180155.jpg

P5180157.jpg

Amazing job, and very much appreciated... I want to do a woodlands pattern on my Model 700, with a PPD sztock any ideas?
my best regards Maddawg (another Chris)

ok well now my son says Pa make it black lol, well I have searched these posts looking for an answer to finishing the metal parts? Any ideas?
maddawg

el gordo2 that is one sweet paint job, on your savage , any how to tips-details other than allready posted ?

Great write up. It definitely give s me the piece of mind to spray my own rifle.

Thanks for all the contributions on how to paint your rifle, this is my first attempt. I was only going to do the stock but then got carried away!

30092011026-1.jpg

30092011029-1.jpg

30092011028-1.jpg

30092011027-1.jpg

Awesome thread, Now im not scared to give it a go. Thanks alot guys

Hey guys, Ive been following this particular thread for a while and finally decided to register now that I have my rifle painted!

My project gun: Marlin 60SB

It was stainless with walnut stock... didn't like that much.
So, I bought a Boyd's Tacticool stock and gave her a custom paint job for the area.

My steps were:
1) Took everything apart (painted everything separately)
2) Painted everything olive drab green
3) placed my fern leaves and grass on top of the green
4) Painted over everything (with varying thickness for effect) with Krylon Sand Camo and then removed my foliage!

Sorry I didn't take pictures of the process, but here are the final pictures. Tomorrow Im going to go re-sight it in and I will take some pictures outside with some natural sunlight. Should turn out better.

P1050104.jpg

P1050105.jpg

P1050106.jpg

P1050108.jpg

And I absolutely love that tacticool stock... realllly close to the Macmillan A5 and cost under a hundred bucks... can't go wrong with that

So today I went out a got as picture real quick of her out in the sand.

1030111045.jpg

Find the rifle! Ha not hard obviously just wanted to show it in my AO for color match.
1030111611.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pickpick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> what do you use to take the paint off rifle stocks? I used acetone and it turned it white. </div></div>

I use graffiety remover. We had it at work to remove paint from road signs. When they were defaced. Works really well on scopes. Didn't harm wood stocks either.

neartree.jpg

road.jpg

dirtpile.jpg

close.jpg

These are pictures from no more that 20-30 feet away any more that that and it is hard to see on the camera.

Over the years, I've done a lot of camo painting. Painting directly onto firearms has become less and less desirable for me as the years accumulate. Things wear and become otherwise unsatisfactory, and removal has always been somewhat of a hassle.

These days any rifles/shotguns I own that don't have factory camo are camo'd by first covering <span style="font-style: italic">everything</span> with 3M Blue wide masking tape, then applying either the paint finish or camo duct tape (digital camo duct tape can be used for this) over the masking tape. Naked parts get the tape removed, using an Exacto knife to trim neatly. The rest stays.

Using camo duct tape, I have found that there is no need to match edges and patterns; from beyond 20ft, it just doesn't matter.

Originally, I had qualms about whether this was effective, durable enough, or good for the firearm; but those worries were unfounded.

I have camo jobs that are on the firearm for years now. I have test-peeled back corners and the masking's adhesive is sill easily removed, and will also stick right back down where it was before. The bluing underneath appears to have been protected very well.

If the tape gets damaged or the finish could use replacement with something else (or nothing), the tape can be removed and replaced as needed. The tape itself provides some modest protection from trail rash.

Some fairly interesting projects can be completed, like my Win 94AE .44mag Trapper Carbine with all camo (duct taped) furniture and matching sling.

I just don't like the idea of having anything on the firearm that's either irrevocable, or a pain to remove/replace.

Some may go "Eeeewww" at the idea, and that's fine by me. The resulting camo job trends more (for me) towards the practical than the aesthetic. IMHO; as a concept, camo is more utilitarian than artistic in its intent.

Greg

Does anyone have some additional pictures of how to hold the grass clump and the spray can in relation to the grass? Ive been practicing on 2 x 4's and I still dont have the pattern looking good enough to try it for real.

Here's what Im trying to make it look like:

634551519600937500000507_SNIPERS-01.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bluedsteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trigger Monkey et al;

How has your rifle held its paint? Has any worn off or just washed away?

I just painted an old Crosman pellet rifle today, mostly using your technique. I wanted to try a cheap gun before I tackle my Rem 700 with Leupold.

The Krylon camo paint dries (so far) with a very flat finish. Looks like my flat interior latex in my house, which will stain if you touch it with a sweaty hand...does this happen with your rifle?

I was thinking about going with a gloss paint, if that is more "print proof"(?).

Thanks.

bluedsteel </div></div>

It holds up fine on my rifles but I use duracoat as a base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before
1316556335490.jpg

After
DSCN0965.jpg

DSCN0968.jpg

DSCN0969.jpg
</div></div>

That thing really screws with my eyes. Good camo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Over the years, I've done a lot of camo painting. Painting directly onto firearms has become less and less desirable for me as the years accumulate. Things wear and become otherwise unsatisfactory, and removal has always been somewhat of a hassle.

These days any rifles/shotguns I own that don't have factory camo are camo'd by first covering <span style="font-style: italic">everything</span> with 3M Blue wide masking tape, then applying either the paint finish or camo duct tape (digital camo duct tape can be used for this) over the masking tape. Naked parts get the tape removed, using an Exacto knife to trim neatly. The rest stays.

Using camo duct tape, I have found that there is no need to match edges and patterns; from beyond 20ft, it just doesn't matter.

Originally, I had qualms about whether this was effective, durable enough, or good for the firearm; but those worries were unfounded.

I have camo jobs that are on the firearm for years now. I have test-peeled back corners and the masking's adhesive is sill easily removed, and will also stick right back down where it was before. The bluing underneath appears to have been protected very well.

If the tape gets damaged or the finish could use replacement with something else (or nothing), the tape can be removed and replaced as needed. The tape itself provides some modest protection from trail rash.

Some fairly interesting projects can be completed, like my Win 94AE .44mag Trapper Carbine with all camo (duct taped) furniture and matching sling.

I just don't like the idea of having anything on the firearm that's either irrevocable, or a pain to remove/replace.

Some may go "Eeeewww" at the idea, and that's fine by me. The resulting camo job trends more (for me) towards the practical than the aesthetic. IMHO; as a concept, camo is more utilitarian than artistic in its intent.

Greg </div></div>

Post some pics of your duct tape jobs.

Thanks for the compliment, that sponge camo was the easiest camo job I have done. To me it is the way easier than doing regular camo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the compliment, that sponge camo was the easiest camo job I have done. To me it is the way easier than doing regular camo. </div></div>

I agree. I have done a few paint jobs with a sponge too. I think if you really want it to blend in that method works really good. And most digital paint jobs done with the stencils, just dont look right. Not saying they look bad. I just think the the sponge gets you closer to the effect.

New user here. I stumbled onto this site looking for rifle coating options. WOW! Outstanding work on painting your weapons! I never knew you could use regular spraypaint on rifles. Any certain manufacturer/type recommended?

Inspired by the results seen here, I have to do this soon!

I like krylon ultra flat but any flat spray paint will do. Just know that no matter how well the manufacturer claims it resists scratches and such that it will eventually rub off and it will be necessary to repaint every so often.

Just came back to this one to see how it's going, and saw the question. I'm sorry, I don't do pictures. In the time I've been here there was (I think) one picture that had originated with me and ended up here, and I had mailed it to LL.

My camo jobs can't compete as works of art with many of the outstandingly effective schemes posted here. But they are effective in the sense that they fade into a background effectively enough. They work because the eye can't resolve anything as amall as the discontinuities between the tape strip overlay lines once that eye gets beyond the trip-over distance.

In large part, as long as the shades involved exist at or nearby where the camo'd object resides, there is an opportunity for the background and object's images to merge. Guck tapes can be obtained in woodland green/brown/black, ar/marpat, and desert camo-like patterns and colors, which is close enough for me, and more effective than my feeble attempts to duplicate such designs..

The part about camo that struck me as even more important was the need for it to be changeable and replaceable with minimum fuss and minimum need for any behavior that might scar up the underlying firearm. This method accomodates those needs very effectively.

More importantly, it's quick, economical, and easy; and it minimizes the distraction from issues I consider more important, like load development and marksmanship practice.

Greg

Following this info I painted a Remington 597 that I had laying around. I haven't decided what colors to paint my big gun yet, this paint job was just for fun as it has no camouflage purpose.
IMAG0009.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

Well I got bored today, and went to wal-mart. I bought two colors tan and green... tapped off the turrets, mag well, and muzzle and went' to town.

First try and I'm pretty happy with it.
Before:

IMG_0306.jpg

After

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

a bit lighter than i wished, but actually isn't bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
road.jpg

These are pictures from no more that 20-30 feet away any more that that and it is hard to see on the camera. </div></div>

You did an amazing job. I am impressed with how well it blends. If it weren't for the shadow underneath your scope, there are several pictures that I would claim it wasn't actually there. I wonder if you could lighten the underside or break up the shadow in some way, so that its not a straight line. I would be interested to see exactly how did such a great job with your rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Driftwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
road.jpg

These are pictures from no more that 20-30 feet away any more that that and it is hard to see on the camera. </div></div>

You did an amazing job. I am impressed with how well it blends. If it weren't for the shadow underneath your scope, there are several pictures that I would claim it wasn't actually there. I wonder if you could lighten the underside or break up the shadow in some way, so that its not a straight line. I would be interested to see exactly how did such a great job with your rifle. </div></div>

Thanks. I think the only way to do that would be to paint it white our cream under the scope but in sunlight it would stick out . It looks like the new army camo up close, not the look I was going for, being a Marine amd all. I'd add a brown to it but it's working good now. Thanks for the compliment!

you may try a technique called dusting. Take the spray paint and lightly run it over your scope cap and blend the look alittle. i did it on mine. You will still se your marks on your scope and the name but it will look blended.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Awesymoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I got bored today, and went to wal-mart. I bought two colors tan and green... tapped off the turrets, mag well, and muzzle and went' to town.
First try and I'm pretty happy with it.
Before:

IMG_0306.jpg

After

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

You
a bit lighter than i wished, but actually isn't bad. </div></div>

long arm. check did it today, also hit it with a bit more dark green, really leveled the light tone to a neutral dry environment look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Awesymoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">long arm. check did it today, also hit it with a bit more dark green, really leveled the light tone to a neutral dry environment look. </div></div>

Did you like the way it turned out? I like the camo on your rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LongArm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Did you like the way it turned out? I like the camo on your rifle. </div></div>

Yes, had to be careful not to be too zealous on the application though. pretty easy, though before I put it in the safe, I was holding an AP brush and some CLP scratching my head.

There is some great info in here, has anyone had good luck with the Cerakote air dry ceramic coatings that Brownells sells? They claim to be scratch and solvent resistant, at least more so than off the shelf spraypaint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My camo jobs can't compete as works of art with many of the outstandingly effective schemes posted here. But they are effective in the sense that they fade into a background effectively enough. They work because the eye can't resolve anything as amall as the discontinuities between the tape strip overlay lines once that eye gets beyond the trip-over distance.

In large part, as long as the shades involved exist at or nearby where the camo'd object resides, there is an opportunity for the background and object's images to merge.</div></div>

Check out this application:

CamoPicker

It lets you use a picture of your local landscape to match paint colors to the dominant colors in the photo for various paint manufacturers. It doesn't actually print any patterns, but it allows you to try various patterns with the matched colors.