• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Ring height Q. specifically looking for info from guys with Vortex PST 6-24x50 S/A Rem 700

apf383

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2013
Just received my Vortex PST 6-24x50 and need an idea on ring height. I saw the sticky thread above on determining height, and Mr. Seekins following input, but I don't know my barrel contour, I thought it was Sandero though? Due to the praise here for the Seekins Rings, I am going that way, it's just the height in question. My rifle is a factory S/A Rem 700 AAC-SD in .308, with a Ken Farrell 20 MOA base, and the above 50mm objective Vortex. I plan on using the standard equipment caps, no need for Butlers. Naturally I want the glass as low as possible, but my stock has an adjustable comb, so I can go up if necessary. Would the Seekins Medium, .87, do the trick? Also, any significant advantage to using the 6/4 over the standard 4/4? Finally, lapping, necessary or no? Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Your scopes bell OD is 2.26" Half of that is 1.13" so......

Seekins Mediums 1.13"- 0.87" = 0.26"

Meaning if your Farrell base is at least 0.26" high, your scope will clear.

Seekins Low's 1.13"- 0.82" = 0.31"

If your Farrell base is at least 0.31" then Seekins lows will also clear.

Ken Farrell makes so many bases, that I cannot tell you how high yours are. If you have it, measure it you will know. If you don't have the base in hand yet, call Ken Farrell and ask.

The 4/4 screw models are plenty good. And you should not have to lap Seekins rings, ever...

Last edited:
Thanks for the help Bob. Since the base is canted because it's 20 MOA, I get different readings. From right behind the chamber, top of receiver to top of rail, not the top of the raised lug, I get .48 in. Right in front of chamber, from receiver to to same place on rail, I get .39. Using the formula above, I believe I'm gtg with either the lows or mediums. Do you agree?