• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Road cyclist, the good, the bad and the ugly!

That’s a real problem that I try to impress on all cyclists. If you want to have the rights, you have to follow the rules. A stop sign means STOP!

And, it never hurts to be courteous when you don’t have too. Like giving the motorists the right a way when you actually have the right-a-way. Doing so keeps both the cyclist and the motorist safe. Or if just seems like the nice thing to do. I like motorists to like me.

It helps to be nice. On both sides. Golden rule thing. Always holds true.

A little like when I tell people new to motorcycles, you are at the bottom of the GVW food chain, you will loose. Ride like that.

No matter where this topic comes up it is always the same. Gun forum, tools, motorcycles, you name it. I bet it is the same everywhere but on bicycle forums. Why do you think that is. Could it possibly be because people don't like it.

Here in Kansas city, there are HUNDREDS OF MILES of bike paths. There is a path that goes across the entire state.

And yet they are on every road but interstates.

Now being one of those "boomers" that is on an e-bike, I will also say I am on the public roads, but the traffic in Kingsville is a bit different from Kansas City. If I lived in town I would toss the bike in the back of the car and go to one of the hundred parks in the greater KC area. There are several I do want to ride, there is so much more to look at.

If you are riding a bicycle what do you want to see, the back end of a 2017 chevy or this:
1686742504162.png

I ride bikes on public roads, as is legal in my state. I follow the laws about as closely as I do in my car (which is to say that 100% compliance is neither wise nor possible), and am courteous to other users just as I am when operating a motor vehicle. If you have a problem with the behavior of other cyclists you've encountered, that's fine, but go fuck yourself if you want to smear every cyclist based upon the behavior of a few. That's pretty much the same as average liberal gun-grabber logic.

I treat aggression by drivers as an unwarranted violation of my rights and will respond just the same as with any other use of potentially deadly force against myself and others. Don't be shocked if you discover that it's pretty easy for a cyclist to conceal a Glock 43.

The tax argument is complete bullshit, and any conservative should be ashamed for attempts to use this argument against cyclists. First, taxation is theft and thus immoral; wishing the government to commit an immoral act against others is something that commies do. Second, I own several registered motor vehicles and trailers; the considerable registration fees in combination with all the other taxes I pay on my income and personal property comprises what I feel to be an adequate level of taxation to offset the wear and tear presented by a few thousand miles of a 20lb bicycle.

I remember seeing this douche bag on a road bike that used to yell "stop sign" at me when he would see me ride through a stop sign. Or yell at me on the sidewalk. He also told me there were to many stickers to ride on this trail I have put about 5k miles on. Literally yelled at me from a man basket installing internet as I was exiting the trail.

Stupid fucker doesn't know about thorn liners or that you don't have to stop at stop signs in CO unless there is traffic with the right away. Check your local laws, stop signs don't mean "STOP" to bikes every where. Bikes stopping at stop signs just because is about as stupid as people who wear bike helmets and ride around the park at 7mph.

I can tell you as someone who follows no traffic laws and stays out of the way of traffic. Nobody cares about me. Dude who rides around in lanes of traffic and makes a point to stop and put his feet down at stop signs follows traffic laws, and yells at other cyclists about them, ya hated douche bag.

No matter where this topic comes up it is always the same. Gun forum, tools, motorcycles, you name it. I bet it is the same everywhere but on bicycle forums. Why do you think that is. Could it possibly be because people don't like it.

Here in Kansas city, there are HUNDREDS OF MILES of bike paths. There is a path that goes across the entire state.

And yet they are on every road but interstates.

Now being one of those "boomers" that is on an e-bike, I will also say I am on the public roads, but the traffic in Kingsville is a bit different from Kansas City. If I lived in town I would toss the bike in the back of the car and go to one of the hundred parks in the greater KC area. There are several I do want to ride, there is so much more to look at.

If you are riding a bicycle what do you want to see, the back end of a 2017 chevy or this:
View attachment 8162312
Road bikes don't do dirt. Thats why i don't do road bikes.

Dog walkers don't like road bikes blasting by at 30+ MPH. And road bikers training don't want to tangled up in that mess. It is inevitable, when you come up on someone on a trail and yell coming up on your right. 95% of people demonstrate they have no idea which is left or right, and you never quite know what they are going to do. Kind of like a squirrel in the middle of the road.

A lot of people on bikes are commuting or at least headed somewhere specific. This means using roads to at least get to the trail, and off the trail to your destination.

Why everyone thinks they are so fucking important they can't be slowed down by traffic for 30 seconds if its a bike is beyond me. Half of the same peole complaining have probably sat in grid lock for hours because of other cars. And half of those lazy fucks are probably with in easy walking or biking distance of their destination. I had a friend telling me about his 10 mile 2 hour commute. Made me laugh, I can damn near walk 10 miles in 2 hours at an average pace.

Saving the environment, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: My bike saves me time and money. It paid for itself with gas money saved commuting in its first year. Headed to the back country to see the dino tracks. Ok, I will be there taking a nap when all you tired dusty fuckers come walking up.

I was looking for an article about the trucker here in town that ran over a vietnam vet, tried to narrowly miss him by passing him in his lane, and dude crashed under the truck when he went by so close. I am pretty sure he was looking at time in pokey also.

Reactions: E. Bryant
I am a lifelong cyclist, mostly a mountain biker but I do occasionally train on roads and commute to work on the bike. I can't say I'm shocked by most of the post in this thread as with any group there will always be those who are idiots (speaking about the cycling community here). I do my best to stay out of the way of cars / traffic the same as I do when I'm driving a motor vehicle.

I believe in freedom, so I fully support anyone who holds a negative opinion of cyclist and I will die to defend their ability to hate me for the choices I make in my life. This belief I have applies to everyone and all beliefs people hold as long as they do not go against our freedoms. So please, carry on with the ranting against cyclists.

Studies show that a higher variance of vehicle speeds in traffic flow increases the risk of an accident.
I saw this also on an OHSP study.

I support cross-country biking, but there needs to be the infrastructure for it. Rural two-lane roads aren’t designed for it.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
According to the majority of state Laws, Cyclists have legal use of roads. I expect you should find something better to bitch about
Very true. But are also obligated to follow the rules of the road. Like stop signs, and one-way roads, and closed roads, and no turn signs….

Just to play a little devil's advocate (I know, the Pit, one doesn't do such things here) for a moment, I suspect a lot of the issue is that nobody "notices" the "normal" cyclists, the ones who just go about not being spectacular suicidal morons. This makes it seem like there are a lot more dumbasses per capita than there actually are.

Then again these lycra clad assholes do enjoy blocking up the main road here going 3-4 wide...

Reactions: Modoc and Bender
Road bikes don't do dirt. Thats why i don't do road bikes.

Dog walkers don't like road bikes blasting by at 30+ MPH. And road bikers training don't want to tangled up in that mess. It is inevitable, when you come up on someone on a trail and yell coming up on your right. 95% of people demonstrate they have no idea which is left or right, and you never quite know what they are going to do. Kind of like a squirrel in the middle of the road.

A lot of people on bikes are commuting or at least headed somewhere specific. This means using roads to at least get to the trail, and off the trail to your destination.

Why everyone thinks they are so fucking important they can't be slowed down by traffic for 30 seconds if its a bike is beyond me. Half of the same peole complaining have probably sat in grid lock for hours because of other cars. And half of those lazy fucks are probably with in easy walking or biking distance of their destination. I had a friend telling me about his 10 mile 2 hour commute. Made me laugh, I can damn near walk 10 miles in 2 hours at an average pace.

Saving the environment, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: My bike saves me time and money. It paid for itself with gas money saved commuting in its first year. Headed to the back country to see the dino tracks. Ok, I will be there taking a nap when all you tired dusty fuckers come walking up.

I was looking for an article about the trucker here in town that ran over a vietnam vet, tried to narrowly miss him by passing him in his lane, and dude crashed under the truck when he went by so close. I am pretty sure he was looking at time in pokey also.

got it, you have the right and to hell with everything else.

Just to play a little devil's advocate (I know, the Pit, one doesn't do such things here) for a moment, I suspect a lot of the issue is that nobody "notices" the "normal" cyclists, the ones who just go about not being spectacular suicidal morons. This makes it seem like there are a lot more dumbasses per capita than there actually are.

Then again these lycra clad assholes do enjoy blocking up the main road here going 3-4 wide...

Same can be said for filthy cagers that avoid cyclists, give them room and don't roll coal in their faces.

Same can be said for filthy cagers that avoid cyclists, give them room and don't roll coal in their faces.
Hey, I'm a biker, I know all too well how unobservant dumbasses in steel boxes are. I also know that means I have to observe for them, cause I will lose the encounter.

Always have this feeling of dread when seeing someone who sits outside tucks in under the front of a truck sitting at lights/junction. Best will I'm the world, there is no chance in hell that driver can see you. Bit of self preservation goes a long way

Very true. But are also obligated to follow the rules of the road. Like stop signs, and one-way roads, and closed roads, and no turn signs….

This argument is as dumb as the taxation argument, especially on a forum purportedly dedicated to the pursuit of individual liberty.

I saw this also on an OHSP study.

I support cross-country biking, but there needs to be the infrastructure for it. Rural two-lane roads aren’t designed for it.

Most rural two-lane roads are fine for commingling autos and bikes, assuming the cyclists stick to a single file and the drivers can cope with the inconvenience of briefly slowing until a pass can be made safely. It's no different than sharing the road with farm equipment, horse carriages, etc.

You keep saying ‘anti-cyclists’ like ‘nazis’ or ‘white supremicists’ in order to play the victim. You sound as woke as the freaking rainbow warriors. Then you justify the laws you break by indicating that ‘everybody does it’. Have you taken a second to listen to yourself?

It sounds like ranting, and someone who thinks the whole world is against him. You might want to see a therapist about that. 😉

I know you somehow think that I’m ‘the enemy’, but I could give a fuck about your entitled cyclist ranting a other than the fact that you are obviously wound so tight that you can’t tell that most of us are so over your self-righteous shit that we’re just fucking with you.

I never even posted or cared about your cyclist rights. I did post to try and hint to you that you’re out of control and a laughingstock. But I guess that you missed that.

Carry on with your high and mighty superior stance. I’m guessing that you’re an officer, correct?

View attachment 8162096
Man the assumptions are flying thick and fast.

Since you know everything about me please continue with your completely wrong diatribe.

M

• Haha
Reactions: lash
Not a cyclist but if you’ve ever rode Deals Gap on a motorcycle and your flying along and come up on a car/truck it totally ruins the experience.

Most the locals up there will pull over and let you go by which is nice. Out of towner‘s not so much.

Reactions: Bender
IME *most* people are sane, courteous drivers that don't want to hurt or kill cyclists. Then there are the minority like we see here that are irrationally homicidal maniacs that are looking for a fight because they're 'inconvenienced.'

TDS has nothing on the latter.

My heart goes out to them because their lives must be SO hard that someone out trying to keep the roll around their middle from expanding incites rage.

M

Reactions: EGwhisper
Most rural two-lane roads are fine for commingling autos and bikes, assuming the cyclists stick to a single file and the drivers can cope with the inconvenience of briefly slowing until a pass can be made safely. It's no different than sharing the road with farm equipment, horse carriages, etc.
Living in a rural area, we "get it" when it comes to farm equipment. There are also Amish in our area, so that is a thing as well. You can tell the people that live there and ride bicycles and those that park at a Katy Trail head and want to ride on the road. It is ALWAYS as in ALWAYS easy to spot.

The people that live in the country are just like you say, single file, front wheel to back wheel, and as close to the edge as they are comfortable. Most of them are "older" and trying to be active with a low impact sport. If they are on something low, they will have a flag on their "bike". I saw a really cool three wheel bike that was like 4" off the road, and has two handles with the brakes and steering. A little like one of those can am things. It looked really fun, and it felt like you are going 100 as you are so close to the ground.

The "city fold" are always side by side, often a few deep, and they will not move over for love or money. As you see they have that right, and that is the first thing out of their mouth. What is great fun is if you are in a sprayer is to move to the middle and make them line up. They get down right huffy. On some bridges and such there is room for only one. One neighbor just stopped on the bridge and made them backup.

The bottom line is don't be a jerk.

If you don't know what a sprayer is.

1686757268667.png

I have been mtb'ing since 1995. I actually used to race under NORBA. So many people told me if I wanted to make it to the next level I need to road bike to get in the miles. I couldn't do it; for one it's dangerous and two, even back then, road cyclists had a bad rap for being a-holes. I even wore all the tight XC clothing.

When I drive I pay attention to everything and I'll give road cyclist a wide birth. I am even nice to gravel cyclist out here in the country. I will slow down as not to create a dust storm they will have to ride through. Just hoping to get some good karma.

I could even ride my bike to work, but I would probably be killed as the Farm To Market I travel on doesn't have any shoulder. I would much rather be in my metal box and survive that trip so I can go mtb later after work.

Last edited:
I rode a group ride with a dude about that size one time.
Fucker refused to stop at stop signs and wouldn't unclip for anything.

A couple of us boxed him in at an intersection. He fell off and taco'd his rear wheel.

The ride leader told him too bad and to never show up at his rides again. 🤣🤣
doctor-who-dr-who.gif

You mean you follow ALL the laws ALL the time? Don't speed? Don't run yellows? Always come to a complete stop at all stop signs? Always use turn signals?

Do yourself a favor next time you're driving. Look at how many people around you (and you!) are breaking laws every time they drive, then get back to me with what laws cyclists break that really affect you. Here. Let me help and help some more

Its easy to spot a cyclist breaking the law because we're 'other' but when a car breaks a law, it's almost invisible. ...but cars and cyclists break about the same number of laws.

Get back with me about what you find when you're actually paying attention to what's going on around you

M
Ahh yes, the infamous "everyone else does it so it's okay" argument
ill-allow-it-ken-jeong.gif

It's cute that you have little dehumanizing slang terms for people in cars while you ride around in closeted gay spandex outfits 🤣

doctor-who-dr-who.gif

It's cute that you have little dehumanizing slang terms for people in cars while you ride around in closeted gay spandex outfits 🤣

You're very late...and uninformed.

Reactions: abn31c
I ride a recumbent trike. Tadpole. I'm ancient, and creaky, so that's what I ride. I don't wear Spandex. I used to ride 20 miles daily one way to college. Rode mountain bikes all over the dirt roads and trails in Lake County OR. As a child I road my old stripped down one speed Schwin all over the desert at Edwards AFB.
I also drive a Jeep, and a Ram 3500 dually, and tow a 38 ft Toy Hauler, and have for literally decades.
I have come to the conclusion that almost no-fucking-body knows how to drive. My annual trip from Texas to the Sierra Nevada Range and Oregon, then return has shown ample data to hold that conclusion.
On the local trail (nice, well paved river trail), I've seen high-speed bicyclists blowing past old ladies, and have picked up (over the last year) two different people who'd been brushed and knocked off the trail by bikers. On the other hand I have also noticed that the majority of walkers and riders are wearing pods, staring into their screens as they walk and never once hear anyone SHOUTING "I'm passing on your left, sir (or ma'am)". I have a small compressed air fog horn, I got from Walmart, in the boat aisle, but have only used it on one car in the neighborhood street I take to get to the Trail head. The dogs-off-leashes, are also a problem, but I have only had to pepper spray one pit bull. The worst part was the whining. From the owner, not the Pitty. The dog took it pretty well, and backed right off. CatTrike, wife rides a Trident Terrain. Fat Tads.

Attachments

• IMG_6889.jpeg
    IMG_6889.jpeg
    790.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
If you mean the Hide app, it only tells me when somebody quotes me directly (and I like it that way), and that's only cool peeps I haven't put on the list of blocked cunts that grows by the week 🤣

Lol! I was being flippant, so not to worry. I would have said “I’m being flip”, but then I’d have to deal with all of Philippe’s hate mail and even retired I don’t have the time for that.

My apologies if it seems like I'm hijacking this thread but this has to do with cycling. I was looking for a Super Dave Osborne bicycle video but it looks like he didn't perform any stunts with bicycles.

Instead, I found this video. Yes, I know some of you are disappointed that I couldn't find a Super Dave Osborne video but I hope this one is a consolation.

I think I know why her clothing is so tight. She would not want any loose fabric getting caught in the spokes, gears, chain or pedals.

• Love
Reactions: lash and Bender
All you anti-cycling shorts people. Might you ever considered leaving a bit of food on the buffet table. Does wonders for the shape of the stomach

doctor-who-dr-who.gif

Cager isn't my term, it comes from motorcycling. ...but if the steel safety cage you're driving around in fits, wear it.

You cagersskeep raging about 'follow the traffic rules' but don't follow them yourselves. Hypocritical much?

I've got a suggestion: instead of assuming intent, why not try to figure out 'why?' Why is that cyclist riding like that? What does he see that I don't? It'll help with the TDS-like condition y'all have with cyclists.

M

I ride a recumbent trike. Tadpole. I'm ancient, and creaky, so that's what I ride. I don't wear Spandex. I used to ride 20 miles daily one way to college. Roads mountain bikes all over the dirt roads and trails in Lake County OR. As a child I road my old stripped down one speed Schwin all over the desert at Edwards AFB.
I also drive a Jeep, and a Ram 3500 dually, and tow a 38 ft Toy Hauler, and have for literally decades.
I have come to the conclusion that almost no-fucking-body knows how to drive. My annual trip from Texas to the Sierra Nevada Range and Oregon, then return has shown ample data to hold that conclusion.
On the local trail (nice, well paved river trail), I've seen high-speed bicyclists blowing past old ladies, and have picked up (over the last year) two different people who'd been brushed and knocked off the trail by bikers. On the other hand I have also noticed that the majority of walkers and riders are wearing pods, staring into their screens as they walk and never once hear anyone SHOUTING "I'm passing on your left, sir (or ma'am)". I have a small compressed air fog horn, I got from Walmart, in the boat aisle, but have only used it on one car in the neighborhood street I take to get to the Trail head. The dogs-off-leashes, are also a problem, but I have only had to pepper spray one pit bull. The worst part was the whining. From the owner, not the Pitty. The dog took it pretty well, and backed right off. CatTrike, wife rides a Trident Terrain. Fat Tads.
I've worked right off the big MUT here in the DC area, the W&OD trail. I've seen cyclists doing the same things to me when I'm out for a toodle or running. Been passed at 20+ by a guy on an e-bike with zero warning. Makes me angry because I get tarred with the same brush as we see in this and the other thread. I know MUTS aren't race courses so use a MUT as a warmup or cooldown on longer rides. You wanna walk in a gaggle, flapping your gums and not paying attention? Great. Have fun. I'll wait till it's safe to pass and go around with no drama. Do I wish you wouldn't? Sure, but I'm not going to get all steamed up about it like some cagers seem to when they meet a cyclist on the road.

I've been coming up behind a jogger with plugs in that u-turned right in front of me without even bothering to look if anything was coming. I'm NOT one of those 'blow by them' types so could stop in time, but the fact remains that people seem to turn their brains off on MUTS because 'its safe.' ...which makes it not safe.

As much as cagers whine about 'cyclists not riding paths,' its still safer to act like a car and ride the road. That's especially true when the MUT next to a street has turns across the MUT. Right hooks, SMIDSY turns, etc are all a fact of life when you have that situation. BTDT multiple times. I can tell you from personal experience that shoulder blocking an SUV that was right hooking me hurts.

...but the anti-cyclist types will never understand and will continue to ascribe malice to someone trying to get down the road safely

M