Robinson Armament XCR-M...what am I missing?

tactic-als

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 2, 2008
TEXAS
OK, I was really interested in this firearm about 10+ years ago?...but I ended up going a different route, forgot about it and then a buddy brought it up. At first I dismissed it as something I had written of for whatever reason but I'm on the Robinson Armament website right now and thinking....is this something I should pursue? I'm looking at the XCR-M Mini Exposed Gas Block, .308 Win, 12" or 14.7" barrel to run suppressed.

What I like, short barrel, gas piston operated, side charging handle, modular (possibly change to 260 Rem or 6.5 CM?)

Thoughts?

waveslayer

Belligerents
Mar 6, 2012
CA
I had one... sold it. The accuracy wasn't really there and they were difficult to work with. But I love the whole gun overall, their ergonomics are excellent

G-Dog

Private
Belligerents
Feb 28, 2017
I had one, sold it. Mixed emotions, kind of wish I hadn’t, but I rolled it onto another project so life goes on.

With hand loads, i was getting 5 shot groups of 3/4 MOA, but I may just have gotten lucky, 147 Hornady and Varget was the trick.

Recoil was mild. I didn’t have a suppressor at the time, so never shot suppresses. Probably would have kept it if I tried it as a host. It is feature packed, and some of the ergonomics, like bolt release are very well thought out and placed.

What I didn’t like: the trigger needed polishing, but I got it nice and smooth by the end. They have upgraded the stock and hand guard, which needed work to feel in line with what they charge for the gun.

The real turn off for some: the owner. I don’t have anything against him, but it seems he has rubbed enough folks the wrong way. When I met him he seemed like an anti-social engineer (I’m one too, so it didn’t bother me).

I’d buy another for the right price, but right now I’m on a AR-10 kick that may transform into fiddling with FALs eventually.

FF05

RAR Veteran
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
Australia
I had one of the earlier ones (serial number below 1000) and it was a lemon from hell. Wouldn't hold 2" @ 100m and would continuously jam with hunting ammo (SP, HP, etc). Got rid of it ASAP and haven't looked back.

I did like the left side charging, ergonomics, and wieght.

Apparently the accuracy issues have been resolved and there's plenty of love for the newer models on the XCR Forum.

Waorani

Comfortably Numb
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
Greenbow, AL
They screwed me out of an M96 when I sent bolt in for recall and never got it back or even the slightest courtesy of a FU.

ScarlettRed

Private
Belligerents
Aug 7, 2017
Colorado
I have a xcr l 223. Mine works great and is decently accurate. 1moa+/-. Love the ergo's and function. However as much as I love side chargers, this one irritates me as when I sling it for hunting, the charging handle digs into my back. My scars don't. Position is wrong for me. Everyone is built different so it may not be a problem for everyone. Personally when going with a 308 frame I am more interested in precision and feel there are much better choices regardless of the function design.

Shooter McGavin

NTRP TEAM MEMBER #33
Belligerents
Jun 22, 2009
Some where in the US
Can't really speak to the XCR-M. I have three of the XCR-L and like them. I have never had the problems others have had with customer service. I have heard that people don't like the owner very much either. I have never spoken to him or met him so I can't speak to that. On the XCR-L I have used it for classes and it has never failed me. It's has been just as accurate as my ARs just shooting Fed 5.56. I have thought about getting a .308 or 6.5 XCR-M, more on the 6.5 side. However, I assembled an AeroPrecision 6.5 rifle and .308 upper instead of going with the XCR-M. By putting my AR 10 together I was able to keep with the M-Lok system I enjoy on my ARs and it is not offered yet on the XCR competition rifles as I wanted a full length rail. The final reason for an AeroPrecision over the XCR-M was it's half the price, so I added a .308 upper and still came $1000 less.