• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Robinson Armament XCR-M...what am I missing?

tactic-als

Jawa Reaper
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2008
PA
OK, I was really interested in this firearm about 10+ years ago?...but I ended up going a different route, forgot about it and then a buddy brought it up. At first I dismissed it as something I had written of for whatever reason but I'm on the Robinson Armament website right now and thinking....is this something I should pursue? I'm looking at the XCR-M Mini Exposed Gas Block, .308 Win, 12" or 14.7" barrel to run suppressed.

What I like, short barrel, gas piston operated, side charging handle, modular (possibly change to 260 Rem or 6.5 CM?)

Thoughts?

Reactions: Constructor
I had one... sold it. The accuracy wasn't really there and they were difficult to work with. But I love the whole gun overall, their ergonomics are excellent

I had one, sold it. Mixed emotions, kind of wish I hadn’t, but I rolled it onto another project so life goes on.

With hand loads, i was getting 5 shot groups of 3/4 MOA, but I may just have gotten lucky, 147 Hornady and Varget was the trick.

Recoil was mild. I didn’t have a suppressor at the time, so never shot suppresses. Probably would have kept it if I tried it as a host. It is feature packed, and some of the ergonomics, like bolt release are very well thought out and placed.

What I didn’t like: the trigger needed polishing, but I got it nice and smooth by the end. They have upgraded the stock and hand guard, which needed work to feel in line with what they charge for the gun.

The real turn off for some: the owner. I don’t have anything against him, but it seems he has rubbed enough folks the wrong way. When I met him he seemed like an anti-social engineer (I’m one too, so it didn’t bother me).

I’d buy another for the right price, but right now I’m on a AR-10 kick that may transform into fiddling with FALs eventually.

Reactions: rurallife
I had one of the earlier ones (serial number below 1000) and it was a lemon from hell. Wouldn't hold 2" @ 100m and would continuously jam with hunting ammo (SP, HP, etc). Got rid of it ASAP and haven't looked back.

I did like the left side charging, ergonomics, and wieght.

Apparently the accuracy issues have been resolved and there's plenty of love for the newer models on the XCR Forum.

They screwed me out of an M96 when I sent bolt in for recall and never got it back or even the slightest courtesy of a FU.

• Wow
Reactions: GhostFace
I have a xcr l 223. Mine works great and is decently accurate. 1moa+/-. Love the ergo's and function. However as much as I love side chargers, this one irritates me as when I sling it for hunting, the charging handle digs into my back. My scars don't. Position is wrong for me. Everyone is built different so it may not be a problem for everyone. Personally when going with a 308 frame I am more interested in precision and feel there are much better choices regardless of the function design.

Can't really speak to the XCR-M. I have three of the XCR-L and like them. I have never had the problems others have had with customer service. I have heard that people don't like the owner very much either. I have never spoken to him or met him so I can't speak to that. On the XCR-L I have used it for classes and it has never failed me. It's has been just as accurate as my ARs just shooting Fed 5.56. I have thought about getting a .308 or 6.5 XCR-M, more on the 6.5 side. However, I assembled an AeroPrecision 6.5 rifle and .308 upper instead of going with the XCR-M. By putting my AR 10 together I was able to keep with the M-Lok system I enjoy on my ARs and it is not offered yet on the XCR competition rifles as I wanted a full length rail. The final reason for an AeroPrecision over the XCR-M was it's half the price, so I added a .308 upper and still came $1000 less.

I know this is an old thread but I took the plunge and placed an order thru their website for an 18” heavy barreled XCR-M 6.5CM. I have gone back and forth in my mind to change it to a light barrel but I don’t know if a light profile is the best option for a barrel that long? On the other hand, I concerned about the weight of the heavy barrel. I have been looking everywhere for weight comparisons but can’t find anything.

Anyway, RA is saying it will take 14 weeks to receive my order.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
I know this is an old thread but I took the plunge and placed an order thru their website for an 18” heavy barreled XCR-M 6.5CM. I have gone back and forth in my mind to change it to a light barrel but I don’t know if a light profile is the best option for a barrel that long? On the other hand, I concerned about the weight of the heavy barrel. I have been looking everywhere for weight comparisons but can’t find anything.

Anyway, RA is saying it will take 14 weeks to receive my order.
Give a review when it arrives and when you put it through the paces.

Reactions: Supremesvo
Give a review when it arrives and when you put it through the paces.
My XCR M just came in last week. Picked it up, going to go shoot this Friday, added my eotech and g33, let’s see how accurate this is 😬 I’m from MA soooooo the laws are restricted no collapsible and adjustments

Attachments

• BFEC0194-F1B5-4C8C-AA15-BF127B8CF0C8.jpeg
    BFEC0194-F1B5-4C8C-AA15-BF127B8CF0C8.jpeg
    650.5 KB · Views: 320
I ordered mine from their website back in October! They said it would take 10 weeks. I still have never heard anything from them. I moved on.

Aaron, just so you know you did yourself a favor. I’ve been waiting nearly a year. I’m about to cancel my order and buy a savage msr 10 long range. Sure I can’t change calibers like I can on the XCR but at least I can get more or less what I want, and sadly with better accuracy I would bet. The owner is still the same. I have a message from him as I’ve been inquiring where my rifle is. They have a constant it will just be a few more weeks, repeated approach. I will be honest if I continue this and it isn’t the best rifle I’ve ever shot, I’ll let everyone know lol.

Like many in this thread I had an XCR-L and and sold it. It was novel (basically a modern, western AK design) and cool to my range friends for about a month; didn’t have any functional problems and was about 2MOA accurate with good ammunition in 6.5 Grendel. After the honeymoon period I had a proprietary rifle that I didn’t really enjoy shooting any more than my AR-15s. It sat in the safe for about a year before I sold it on to another friend who liked the barrel change system, the AK design, and wanted to try 6.5 Grendel but have the option to bail out to 556 easily.

I have nothing bad to say about the XCR except it just wasn’t for me. I live in a small space so I apply the Mari Kondo method of evaluating my firearms collection annually: if it doesn’t spark joy when I hold it - I sell.

Well I ordered the XCR-m in .308 with a 20 inch heavy barrel. I asked them flat out what the moa was and they said about 1. So I’m going to hold them to that since it’s in writing. I understand that with a chrome lined barrel you’re not going to get a sub 1 gun. I presently don’t have anything in the battle rifle category that will function as a DMR. That was the purpose for picking the Robinson. I wanted the ability to pick between .308 and 6.5 creedmoore. It also won the battle rifle shootout, which tipped its favor. This was just before savage put out their MSR 10 long range. From what I understand those are about .5 moa guns.

Any updates on the XCR -m rifles @wraith3920 and @Supremesvo ?
I got it. It took 51 weeks to arrive. Due to the price of ammo and range time, I've only been able to take it out to a 75 ft indoor range for break in. I had no issues with it during the break in. Used some cheap tula steel case and some PMC brass M80. 60 rounds in no feed issues on either. With that, I don't like the sights that come with it. I am looking at a set of RTG diopters. Unfortunately, you can't get a flip away barrel sight anymore. Even still, with the irons indoors I was able to get some nickel sized groups. I'll provide greater detail after I put an optic on it and have it on a 100yd range to see what it's true MOA is. I've heard the platform likes heavier grain rds like 168 vs 150, but I haven't tested that yet.

Good to hear, thank you for the speedy reply. Looking at purchasing a .308 in the 14.7" heavy barrel. How's the CS been with Robar?

Best part of the video.... "Mountain Jews".

XCR had so much potential, like the massada/ACR. Robinson arms owner is a twat and service always sucked unless you were in the valley and a member of the "tribe".

The AR10 platform has matured and there are so many other good options out there, I wouldn't waste time or money on one.

If he ever did come out with a real M96, ALA Stoner 63, I would sell my kid for one.

Best part of the video.... "Mountain Jews".

XCR had so much potential, like the massada/ACR. Robinson arms owner is a twat and service always sucked unless you were in the valley and a member of the "tribe".

The AR10 platform has matured and there are so many other good options out there, I wouldn't waste time or money on one.

If he ever did come out with a real M96, ALA Stoner 63, I would sell my kid for one.
I agree 100%. The owner was a jerk and wouldn't respond. I had to drive to his shop when I was up skiing. He wasn't happy to see me. Switched the barrel for me, I quickly sold it. It was an awesome gun, it never took off

An alternative - PSA has finally released the Jakyl and people seem to like it. I'm probably going to get one when .300BLK comes out.

The direction the military is going with the XM157 where all the “zero sensitive” bits are integrated with the scope and attached to the receiver seems to make the advantages of all these monolithic designed uppers moot.

That is assuming all the sensitive bits are attached to said device. Its very likely stand alone products will be better/more powerfull but can still be linked (Think powered rail with common interface like a newtworking cable) so they can all talk to each other. Trying to smash a magnified sight, red dot, LRF, ballistic comp, IR and visable lasers is a tall order to compete against dedeicated devices. Then there is still the argument if one part goes down, does the whole sight apparatus become unusable.

I own an early one in 5.56. Also have the 7.63x39 barrel and bolt. Really like the ergonomics and always got pretty good accuracy out of it. Used to shoot it a lot.

However, the original trigger was pretty bad. First upgraded alternative resulted in light primer strikes as I recall. Eventually came out with a decent trigger. The other problem is that, after a bunch of rounds the gun started falling apart. Screw holding the bolt release lever kept backing out. Worse, the single screw that attached the barrel to the receiver kept loosening. Would shoot 4-50 rounds and suddenly the accuracy would disappear. Yup, the barrel had come loose again, so time to retighten the single screw attaching it to the receiver. Also, as I recall had some weird cotter pin arrangement instead of the regular detent system used to attach the upper to the lower and these started loosening up as I recall.

I had some fun shooting the rifle when I first got it, but hasn't come out of the safe in years and would sell it, except that I couldn't in good conscience pawn it off on someone else in its current condition.

That is assuming all the sensitive bits are attached to said device. Its very likely stand alone products will be better/more powerfull but can still be linked (Think powered rail with common interface like a newtworking cable) so they can all talk to each other. Trying to smash a magnified sight, red dot, LRF, ballistic comp, IR and visable lasers is a tall order to compete against dedeicated devices. Then there is still the argument if one part goes down, does the whole sight apparatus become unusable.
Strong agree. We've seen all-in-one stuff before, and technology doesn't always go at the same pace. Seen e.g. any number of perfectly good lasers with lights that are a joke anymore.

And there are specialty items of all sorts that will continue to be created, even more may emerge as more items become miniaturized. Laser designators for PGMs are quite small, I expect the next generation to be weapon mountable but... only for a relative handful of TACPs, etc.

Even just GLs on a more rigid forearm for those users has some value.

Wasn't this the guy that lost his shit online and posted open letters to customers/potential customers basically telling them that he knows everything better than them and to fuck off because hes sick of dealing with you, after his initial release had a huge amount of issues?

I'm pretty sure its that guy.

On a side note, I've had multiple people tell me I need to be on GT's videos where I stand off to the side and just make weird faces at him throughout.

Wow, a lot of people making anti-mormon comments with no evidence. They aren’t my favorite people, but im not going to bash them publicly. I’ve talked with a few people in the valley that worked professionally with Alex. Word is that he is a super talented engineer that build and sold a few companies before getting in to manufacturing guns. The thing is… talented engineers rarely make good business people, even worse customer relations, and generally need to be kept in check by others that understand the bigger picture. Griffin armament are kind of the same way… but their products work.

I see lots of people talking about marginal accuracy....this was my group at 100 yards with 168 gr SMK BTHPs using an LPVO. That 5th shot I pulled too, but it was still a 0.8 MOA group on a hot barrel.

Attachments

• 20230605_183627.jpg
    20230605_183627.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: Shooter McGavin
Since this has been resurrected.

The AR-15 Podcast Episode 388 (Dooley and friends) has the owner of Robinson Arms on.
It is an interesting listen, from the origin of the rifle (60/90 day crash design to meet military test deadline) to its current evolution.
I recommend checking it out.

He basically tried to make a rifle that was more ergonomic, reliable, smoother shooting, gas piston, side charging which will accommodate barrel changes without hurting accuracy and more.

Its a different bird.

If I hadn't decided I like building more than buying, I would get one.

If that FS link down under here was active, I'd probably grab it.

Last edited:
Reactions: jstokes1
I joined this forum solely to reply to this thread.

I am a recent acquirer of a XCR-M. (.308, 20" light barrel, 3-port muzzle brake, standard upper, M-Lok rail). Ordered in July, received in December. Saw a lot of complaints above about the wait time. That really long cold & flu season did a doozy on supply chain management.

I have put just over 100 rounds through it, entirely 147 gr FMJ. Thus far I have identified one infrequent but persistent malfunction, which is either due to the rifle not being optimally lubricated...or it's the ammo. I do not think it is the magazines, because it has happened with both the steel mags and PMAGs, but I can't rule that out entirely. What is happening is a first-round failure to enter into battery. It is occurring both when I release the bolt from lock-back on a full mag, and when I engage the charging handle. It is not easily noticed audibly or visually, and a trigger pull results in a light primer strike. Clearing the round requires bracing the rifle and pulling back on the charging handle with two hands. I have tried PMC, Armscorp, and Magtech ammo thus far. I am near certain all these malfunctions have happened with the Magtech M80 ball ammo. Only one time has it occurred AFTER firing a round; it's typically right when you load a fresh magazine.

I got into an XCR-M because I'd been researching battle rifles for months, found too many flaws in each of the Cold War Classics, and decided to pick one that, despite not really being "battle proven" drew heavy inspiration from the best of what's out there. So if my accuracy is not sub-MOA, that's ok for me. I have my 6.5 Creedmoor B-14 HMR for that. What I do expect out of this rifle though, for what I paid, is rugged reliability. The rifle seems properly gassed on Setting 4, as there have been zero issues with extraction or ejection (it's really good at chewing up brass; lots of neck crimps).

Shooting with the iron sights it comes with, I've been pleased with the relative accuracy at 25 yards indoors. The recoil is well-managed by the muzzle brake. I plan on getting a flash hider as well just to get an idea of how much recoil is reduced by the brake. It is a heavy platform, but not unbearably so. Mounted with my LPVO (the new Arken EP-8) for a dress rehearsal the setup weighed a bit over 12 lbs.

Getting this out-of-battery issue resolved is my top priority at this point. If any of you XCR owners have had this happen, what did you find was the culprit?

Thank you for joining our precision rifle oriented community to resurect a thread from over a year ago and talk about your semi auto blaster that is lucky to hold 3 moa and doesn't run. It's not like there are 10 other gun forums that cater to these types of guns.

Perhaps calling the manufacture who built the gun would be a wise first step. Just make sure you let them know your part of the tribe or your RMA may go into the circular file cabinet. You bought this abortion, let them fix it.

Thank you for joining our precision rifle oriented community to resurect a thread from over a year ago and talk about your semi auto blaster that is lucky to hold 3 moa and doesn't run. It's not like there are 10 other gun forums that cater to these types of guns.

Perhaps calling the manufacture who built the gun would be a wise first step. Just make sure you let them know your part of the tribe or your RMA may go into the circular file cabinet. You bought this abortion, let them fix it.
Thank you for prompting me to discover the ignore feature.

Anyway, after troubleshooting (cleaned, lubed, then manually cycled various rounds from different magazines) I determined it's the ammo. Something about 7.62 NATO from Magtech is not jiving with the XCR-M.

Jesus someone is salty af.

@AKPoaster , I had the same experience with my XCR-M. Newer model with the lengthened gas tube. I was shooting the chinese spam can 147gn copper washed steel case. Would usually jam on first chamber with a light primer strike, would have to mortar the charging handle to extract it. I always kept it clean and well lubricated, but something about that dirty steel case would jam in the chamber. That said, I always found it to be accurate, able to cut down the 1" weed stalks on the 100m berm with that cheap chinese ammo. It gets fed reloads now, all brass case, no jamming issues. Sounds like the Magtech brand is similar in quality as the chinese stuff.

@MarshallX that's good to know about the steel case ammo. PMC Bronze thus far has cycled without fault, and is currently my best option for bulk purchase given my location. Eventually I will start feeding it some filet mignon after the rifle is broken in and I have the opportunity to get it out to an extended range to test the full extent of its accuracy.