• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RPG Takes Down Chinook 25 SEALS + Dog + SPops

Re: RPG Takes Down Chinook 25 SEALS + Dog + SPops

My prayers go out to the families of the fallen, and the comrades they left behind.

HOWEVER

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Time to leave and nuke them on the way out.
Lived through Viet Nam...enough is enough</div></div>

Cutting and running isn't the answer. You don't quit, I'm sure the troops on that aircraft would be the first to say that.

We didn't quit after Pearl Harber, we didn't quit after a troop ship was sunk in WWII, we didn't quit when a plane load of Paratroopers went down on D-day.

Release the "dogs of war" but you don't quit.

Payback is the answer, not quitting.

That's a huge hit to what is a relatively small unit. RIP

a Golden BB, if it wasn't a mechanical failure on a heavily loaded flying brick.
Considering how many helos went down in Vietnam compared to now I think we are doing very well. A incident happened like this in Kuwait/Iraq 20 years ago. As I recall the pilot of that CH-47 was female. We lost a AC-130 there too, with all aboard.
On Memorial day and veteran's day we will will always note their loss. i was surprised at the last memorial Day reading of the names to find out how many young men were lost from my county and neighborhood died in the last 10 years.
But these things happen, especially with old equipment flying at high altitudes in difficult maintenance conditions. And they happen right here at home from time to time. a Osprey crashed and killed a Marine Force Recon team some years back, in california. pilot error. he tried to flare like in a helo and it wasn't.
You want to know what the other members of the group did.....flew through the smoke and carried on with the mission, just like the bomber and fighter pilots did when one of theirs crashed at the end of the runway taking off in WW II. That happened routinely, unlike now. You tighten your straps and carry on.

I hate seeing things like this. Condolences to the families.

A very sad day indeed. My heart and pray goes out these guys families. Afghanistan is in the midst of one long and hard summer as we lose some of our best through death and being maimed for life. I am truly saddened by this...a shot for the men that gave all.

I hate the fact that Al Qaeda are gonna get a major morale boost from this. It's being reported that it was a Team 6 loss. Kind of sucks the wind out if the Bin Laden victory. Tragic tragic tragic. Goddamn.

RIP. Hope this was dumb luck on behalf of Hadji and not some conspiracy BS.

This thread saddens me however to respond to how to handle Afghanistan, a Phantom Fury style campaign is needed IMO but we are so worried about Afghan population it wont happen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spanky84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread saddens me however to respond to how to handle Afghanistan, a Phantom Fury style campaign is needed IMO but we are so worried about Afghan population it wont happen
</div></div>
More like a "Rolling Thunder" campaign with B-52's. i think we still have a few of those dinosaurs.
When Patton rolled into Germany and his lead elements took fire from a town or village (or near one) he rolled up the SP Arty and shelled the hell out of it. Then he would put a couple of "Town Leaders" in a care with a full tank of gas and send them down the raod to tell the next ones what would ahppen if they fired a shot at his troops.
It would be a very quite drive for a while after.

The fact is that the Muslim look at thinks long term, while many Americans can't stay focused for 30 seconds. This war on islamic Jihad is something we may never be able to win, but we sure can lose.
I just wish we were serious about it and called Islam the Totaitarian Ideology it is. It's not a religion, it's a political movement that demands total fealty to some Mullah, has no central control or guidance, and despises us. Treacherous, deceitful, vicious, and petty is what muslims are.

........"A helicopter crash in Afghanistan's eastern Wardak province has killed 30 U.S. special operation troops and <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">seven Afghan soldiers</span></span>, the country's president said on Saturday."........

Gee, anybody else see what's going on here?

You can't trust these motherfuckers. Someone in the A'stan mil staff is a mole. This was obviously an important mission, and Taliban were tipped off (in my opinion).

Those profiting from our presence, don't want us to leave.

God bless those and their families. Regardless of the situation, it is a tragic loss of some of America's best. Many, Many thanks for the sacrifice. To hell with all that oppose us!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">........"A helicopter crash in Afghanistan's eastern Wardak province has killed 30 U.S. special operation troops and <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">seven Afghan soldiers</span></span>, the country's president said on Saturday."........

You can't trust these motherfuckers. Someone in the A'stan mil staff is a mole. This was obviously an important mission, and Taliban were tipped off (in my opinion).
</div></div>

While I wouldn't be surprised if that were true, I don't really see how you came to that conclusion...? i.e. connect the dots for me please

This is terrible. I pray it hasn't been influenced by our rules of engagement.

Thanks to those for their ultimate sacrifice.

We need to take Israel's stance at some point. They don't play!

Israel neither asks for permission nor forgiveness when they feel threatened or have been struck. War is an ugly thing. Sometimes you have to just play dirty and be overwhelming with it so it will end quickly.

May we never forget those that have sacrificed!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">........"A helicopter crash in Afghanistan's eastern Wardak province has killed 30 U.S. special operation troops and <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">seven Afghan soldiers</span></span>, the country's president said on Saturday."........

</div></div>

While I wouldn't be surprised if that were true, I don't really see how you came to that conclusion...? i.e. connect the dots for me please </div></div>

If Afghan troops were involved, there was also Afghan staff officers involved in the planning. I wouldn't trust them myself. An operation involving SEAL Team 6, tells me it was a high priority, or high payoff target.

Something very wrong here,I guess tactics have changed since I was a gunner,To many seals together on one ship.Especially team 6.I'm very upset, somethings wrong information compromised?All I can now say is prayers out Semper Fi I pray fair winds and following seas for all your journey's home.

RIP, families and brothers in prayers. May the wind always be in your sails. That was one heavy loss and I'm once again left to ponder why so many of our best were on a single mission and also on one platform?

MontanaMarine, Afghan soldiers invovled does not mean Afghan officers were in on the planning. The Afghan Army's Commandos are not like the average soldiers to begin with, and in light of the fact that this was apparently DevGru according to the Huffington Post, they aren't telling the Afghans anything. They just do it and ask questions later. I HIGHLY doubt anything was leaked. Just bad luck. It happens. It's horrible and sad, but bad luck happens and we lose some VERY good people.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOPO-sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Support the families:

http://www.nswfoundation.org/ </div></div>

+1 Already did today! Let's pitch in people. Your donations go directly to the affected people.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mustafa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MontanaMarine, Afghan soldiers invovled does not mean Afghan officers were in on the planning. The Afghan Army's Commandos are not like the average soldiers to begin with, and in light of the fact that this was apparently DevGru according to the Huffington Post, they aren't telling the Afghans anything. They just do it and ask questions later. I HIGHLY doubt anything was leaked. Just bad luck. It happens. It's horrible and sad, but bad luck happens and we lose some VERY good people. </div></div> Well said.

My sincere condolences to their families and fellow warriors.

GAU-2 gunner on Jolly Green/Pave Low doing pick up and delivery of a lot of those guys during Desert Shield/Storm. They were always happy to get off and even happier when we came in to get em. They might've been banged up but were ultimate professionals. No crying and whining on those flights. Always good to the crew, even when they coined us on the way out...

Lost a lot of good people on missions even wikileaks will never know about. This op was probably a lot like those. Hope we aren't getting complacent in light of our recent successes. Despite all of our technology and skills it can still come down to one illerate, stinkin ass Hadji with an old Chicom RPG and a lot of luck. That's why it will always be dangerous and will always suck when good men die.

RIP brothers, peace to you and your loved ones. Alpha Mike Foxtrot...with all due respect.
mad.gif

Anybody hear about the helo that went down in Salerno? Don't see anything on the news about it.

Was told one went down there a couple hours later.

God Bless those that gave all. RIP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marcus85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody hear about the helo that went down in Salerno? Don't see anything on the news about it.

</div></div>
That was a fire-fighting helo. in Salerno Italy, not FOB Salerno.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOPO-sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Support the families:

http://www.nswfoundation.org/</div></div>

Thanks for the link. Feeling pretty helpless. Too old for boots ont the ground but I can help support the families.

God Bless these warriors and may their brothers return safely.

RIP! Our Prayers and thoughts are with them, and their families.

Ill raise my glass high to those men tonight!

A very sad day. What a shame. Prayers for their families.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PBinWA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOPO-sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Support the families:

http://www.nswfoundation.org/ </div></div>

+1 Already did today! Let's pitch in people. Your donations go directly to the affected people.</div></div>

Agree with the above donations entirely, but what ever happened to the 25M UBL bounty? If not already distributed to SEALs involved, this might be a quite appropriate at least partial allocation of the bounty (or is this too logical).

Thoughts on controversy about releasing names of fallen and safety of the families? And the choice of helo.: no Apache's within range I suppose...

They reported that they killed the guys responsible. That's serious groundwork. Doesn't make the loss easier but good to know justice got served.

Its been a bit rough, especially for one of my buddies at work. His brothers good friend was one the PJ's on the helo when it went down.

~So that others may live...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">........"A helicopter crash in Afghanistan's eastern Wardak province has killed 30 U.S. special operation troops and <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">seven Afghan soldiers</span></span>, the country's president said on Saturday."........

Those profiting from our presence, don't want us to leave.</div></div>

A lot times I get the same feeling as you you do about this.

However looking back in history at not only this group of 'operators' I also look back into Viet Nam when too many of the same flights from one compound keep coming out and it's simply a matter of aircraft watching by the enemy to see when spec-ops troops go out. I lost a friend and former platoon mate who was 'advising' in '03. One too many times taking the only route to and from their very isolated base of operation and they got ambushed. Helicopters at high altitude are especially vulnerable.

I have the book MACV-SOG, in which the author seems to think there is a mole somewhere in the headquarters. Which, there well could have been. But, when they keep dispatching H-21's and H-34's, when everyone else is flying UH-1's, there isn't a whole lot of braincells used to know that it's them that's leaving. It doesn't take an insider to watch our compounds from a long ways away. And know who is doing what. Another friend was killed in Jan of '07 when his helicopter was litterally in an aerial ambush. Insurgents figured out that helicoptors use the tall buildings in Baghdad as screens as they fly through. They put a Russian .50 eight floors up facing one of the more common routes. When they flew past, they didn't stand a whole lot of chance of coming out of that. Nevermind that no one in the building didn't have any clue a group of men hauled something heavy up the stairs/elevator. Nothing seemed suspicious that way....
shocked.gif

It's a terrible tragedy that we allowed this to happen. But there is a certain amount of complacency on our part that contributes to this every time. This doesn't negate the fact that what they were and what we lost is a terrible thing. RIP gentlemen.