• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

RPR chrome moly

falz24

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2011
Hi I was looking at the specs for the barrel and it’s a chrome moly barrel. I haven’t seen this mentioned in RPR vs 700 5R comparison threads. Is the chrome moly barrel a major negative to the RPR? Does it also affect the action?

It's not a negative at all unless you are somewere that corrosion is a major concern or if you don't take proper care of your equipment. Such as oiling it after it gets rained on.
I'm not 100% sure but I would bet the Remington barrel is CmV as well.

I stand corrected, I just looked the 5R is stainless.

Last edited:
Agreed. No big deal. As long as you give it the maintainance that all Precision Rifles should get (proper cleaning and protection etc...), then you shouldnt notice a difference.

It's not a negative at all unless you are somewere that corrosion is a major concern or if you don't take proper care of your equipment. Such as oiling it after it gets rained on.tr
I'm not 100% sure but I would bet the Remington barrel is
Two completely meaningless terms without reference to specific alloys.

?? I'm guessing your referring to the difference between CMV 4140 / 4150 and Carpenter or Crucible 416 barrel steels.

Last edited:
It's not a negative at all unless you are somewere that corrosion is a major concern or if you don't take proper care of your equipment. Such as oiling it after it gets rained on.tr
I'm not 100% sure but I would bet the Remington barrel is

?? I'm guessing your referring to the difference between CMV 4140 / 4150 and Carpenter or Crucible 416 barrel steels.

Yeah, along with little things like heat treating and stress relief. By themselves, the terms are meaningless. Nice for marketing to say like "aircraft aluminum". Doesn't convey any useful information though.

Yeah, along with little things like heat treating and stress relief. By themselves, the terms are meaningless. Nice for marketing to say like "aircraft aluminum". Doesn't convey any useful information though.

I fallow your drift but from a general consumers standpoint most aren't interested in a metallurgical or engineering lesson. The composition of barrel grade steel is a pretty well known fact and since we dont have any shady Chinese companies is the US building barrels out of A36 or 516 grade 70 blowing up in people's faces the CMV and SS terms are used pretty loosly.

Sigh! I know, I know. I just like knowing this stuff. Been into things like this most of my life and marketing jabber just pisses me off.
The why and the wherefore is what makes the stuff work. I will research the product a lot more than most when it comes time to select new equipment or parts for my guns, motorcycles and watches. You can make an adequate cannon barrel out of Oak sticks with some brass banding, but that is not what I'd want for a precision rifle.