• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger’s new target long range 22lr American ... swing and a miss

Got mine about 4 weeks ago and was finally able to get out and test it. Having had the rprf and this i am glad that this one doesn't have the FTE issues like the precision did. out of about 450 rounds through it so far i've only had one FTE. Anyway, did a video on round 1 of ammo testing if anyone is interested to see how it did.

Cd22, at 50 yds mine was acceptable. Shoot it at 100yds with Lapua and try the sk lr. Hadn't been able too shoot for awhile due to wife having surgery.

I've posted a pic up with some results. With different ammo and at 100 yds center x wasn't so good. Post is in earlier part of thread.

I've posted a pic up with some results. With different ammo and at 100 yds center x wasn't so good. Post is in earlier part of thread.
Ah i see them now. looks like we have the exact same setup lol! its branded as a "long range" model so i'm going do the testing with the sk lr at 100+, however i do not have high hopes it will perform well.

I'm bout to get a Tikka also.
having had the cz457, rprf, ruger american long range, its by far the best. Action/trigger is amazing. the only thing that is not good about them is the factory stock. i pulled it straight out of the box and put it right in a krg bravo. other than this its performed really well. another downside is the magazines are like 30 freakin dollars. baretta.com had them on sale a while ago for like 25/piece.

having had the cz457, rprf, ruger american long range, its by far the best. Action/trigger is amazing. the only thing that is not good about them is the factory stock. i pulled it straight out of the box and put it right in a krg bravo. other than this its performed really well. another downside is the magazines are like 30 freakin dollars. baretta.com had them on sale a while ago for like 25/piece.
from what i have seen Beretta seems to do 25% off sales fairly regularly often with free shipping over $75. it is commonly posted in the T1x thread when it happens if you are interested.

Reactions: Deputy617
Since I hadn't seen any pics of groups or heard any feedback, guess I'll be the guinea pig. Should have one hopefully by the end of the week.
Would love to hear any up to date thoughts on your experiences with the LRT. Did you pull the plug on it as a turd?

Last edited:
My buddy shoots the LRT. He put 1500 rounds through it the first week. The guns need to be broke in.

XIH9BYx.jpg

Biggest thing I noticed is with ammo that didn't perform all that great at first. Eley Club and SK Rifle Match usually grouped in the .6-.8" range at 50 yards when the rifle was brand new (<250 rounds) but, now 1500+ rounds later, they're capable of consistent sub .5" if I do my part. Granted, some of that may be due to getting more comfortable behind the trigger but, part of it has to be because its getting broken-in.

I'm gonna hang-on to mine and upgrade the optic the first chance I get. I'm using a pretty plain jane 1" Leupold VX3i 4-14x40 for the time being but, the rifle deserves much better. Considering either a Meopta or one of the new Leica Am Plus6's that'll hopefully be available soon.

Reactions: Pravataracing
XIH9BYx.jpg

Biggest thing I noticed is with ammo that didn't perform all that great at first. Eley Club and SK Rifle Match usually grouped in the .6-.8" range at 50 yards when the rifle was brand new (<250 rounds) but, now 1500+ rounds later, they're capable of consistent sub .5" if I do my part. Granted, some of that may be due to getting more comfortable behind the trigger but, part of it has to be because its getting broken-in.

I'm gonna hang-on to mine and upgrade the optic the first chance I get. I'm using a pretty plain jane 1" Leupold VX3i 4-14x40 for the time being but, the rifle deserves much better. Considering either a Meopta or one of the new Leica Am Plus6's that'll hopefully be available soon.
Almost 2 months since your or anybody elses last post. Has performance continued to improve with your LRT?

I'm a Ruger fan and have a RPRF Base Class rifle as my first foray into rimfire. But I have been eyeing the Tika T1x as the base for another rifle until I saw your comments on the LRT. My RPRF is improving with age too. Yes I'm sure that after only 300 rounds alot of the improvement is me getting trigger time with it. So my inner Ruger fan has me watching comments and reviews about this American LRT very closely. I don't any in stock anywhere but that's the same for the Tika. I'm not in a hurry to purchase either so for now I'll just continue watching for actual shooters experiences.

Reactions: GoggledIt
Unfortunately, the weather here has been less than cooperative and work has kept me so busy lately that I haven't been back to the range with my Ruger since January 3rd. But, I'm hoping to change that the week after next with some time off and decent weather for shooting.

Reactions: kmckinnon
I have handled or shot one of these but I like the looks of them , waiting patiently for them become available again

Got mine about 4 weeks ago and was finally able to get out and test it. Having had the rprf and this i am glad that this one doesn't have the FTE issues like the precision did. out of about 450 rounds through it so far i've only had one FTE. Anyway, did a video on round 1 of ammo testing if anyone is interested to see how it did.

Shooting for groups with a Magnitospeed hanging on the barrel usually doesn’t yield the best groups.

OFG

Reactions: GoggledIt
I have handled or shot one of these but I like the looks of them , waiting patiently for them become available again

Inside The Call: Ruger Scrambling To Refill Empty Firearms Shelves | SGB Media Online (sgbonline.com)

Good article about how Ruger has hired additional employees and is cautiously scaling-up production to meet record levels of demand. Hopefully, that means it won't be a terribly long wait for people who want to purchase an RAR LRT. I'm very satisfied with mine, especially after upgrading the trigger and seeing my 50-yard groups gradually shrink to sub-MOA after 1500 rounds. Eley Club was a shocker. That stuff didn't shoot worth a darn at first and now it's one of its favorites.

As much as I enjoyed viewing CD22's accuracy tests and appreciated his efforts, user reviews are subjective to ability, environmental conditions and personal bias. I think he went in with low expectations and when his new RAR LRT lived down to them it created the impression that the rifle wasn't all that great. Hey, it happens. I think that my own expectations were a tad more realistic. I wasn't expecting Anschutz/VuDoo performance straight out of the box and as a result, I haven't been disappointed. When weather improves, I'm eager to perform a thorough side-by-side comparison to a friend's Tikka T1x at 50-100 yards and we'll see where it really stands among $500 .22 rifles.

Reactions: kmckinnon