• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Ruger American Bolt Face

Donelan47

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2019
I have a Ruger American Predator in 6.5CM, I've been wanting to build a 7SS does anyone know if it is possible to open the bolt face up on the ruger american bolt to that .540 bolt face?

You're going need much more modified than that... You'll need a custom magazine box, follower & spring, you'll probably have to have the feed rails opened up, as well. Much more involved than just opening up the bolt face when going from a .308 action to a .404 Jeffery/RUM cartridge width spec'd action.

You would be easier (and cheaper) to start with a Rem 700 SAUM/WSM action, or a custom aftermarket action already machined for WSM sized cartridges.

Reactions: Donelan47
So in retrospect for the money pumped into a budget action, it would be more worth it to go find a custom different donar action? Will the saum/wsm based cartridges feed out of the accurate aics mags without modifications to the follower?

So in retrospect for the money pumped into a budget action, it would be more worth it to go find a custom different donar action? Will the saum/wsm based cartridges feed out of the accurate aics mags without modifications to the follower?
For the most part...Yes. Unless you are a machinist, and have your own equipment, then it's just a matter of labor time cost. Or you might be good friends with the gunsmith. But if you're paying a big name gunsmith to do this, custom work like that can start add up pretty quickly.

As for the AICS mags question, I'd contact either Rich Sherman (Sherman Wildcats), or Accuracy International directly. Going directly to the source, is typically how you can get the most accurate information. If anyone would know about the Sherman wildcats, it would be the man who designed them himself.

Reactions: Donelan47