• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Gunsite Scout

Gary Smith

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2005
Whitewood S.D.
I know that the RGS does not comfortably fit in the general Sniper's Hide themed rifle, but I think they are just
the bees knees and fill a niche that has long been ignored.
I know fully well that Ruger has sold truckloads and some here no doubt own one.
I would like to know about the deficiencies you have experienced with this rifle if any.
And no I don't equate owning one of these to Harley owners riding Vespa's, or fat girls.

I havent shot the Ruger version, but the concept for a general pupose rifle is sound. They are excellent quick handling rifles.

I have one. Love it. Ruger sent me a free 5rd accurate mag so I can legally hunt with it (it comes with a 10rd accurate mag). The mags fit in my 700 too. It's a very solid and fast rifle. I use this and a Marlin Guide Gun for my open sight brush guns. The hogs like both of them.....

One thing.....I wish Ruger would use metal for their mag catch and well. The plastic is kinda crappy for a $1,000 rifle.......

The ruger scout rifle is my "politically correct" assault rifle. Took off scout scope base, changed to vortex flash
hider, only use iron sights, 1917 leather sling, lots of 10 round metal mags with chest pouch. I used it in a rifle
class and did very well with it; sure slower than the semi-s but shooting 3" to 4" groups at 200 yds (prone)and
hitting steel with a lot more than .223. Yes, the mags fit in my Whiskey 3 stock .308 Rem 700.

My father in law just bought one. My first impression is that it is really neat. Honestly we are both very disappointed with it right now. The action/bolt is extremely sloppy and it binds. For some odd reason it blows the shoulder of the brass out as well (factory ammo). Never seen a rifle do that. THe concept is great; we both feel the execution was poor. Hopefully the problem is just with his. He is sending it to Ruger for evaluation. The trigger is also quite strong and not smooth. I do like the idea behind it however.

I had one too, the concept ROCKS!!! Unfortunately, I also found the action to be incredibly sloppy and binding, I could not cycle the bolt quickly because it would always bind during the bolt lift. It was disappointing because I've had good luck with Ruger's in the past. The plastic mags were excellent though. Also I see over on Hill People Gear that McMillan has now made a nice stock for it, but the bolt bind was a deal breaker for me. I'm now in the process of building a similar concept on a Remmy action.
Oh, one more thing: Ruger actually did two versions of the 16.5, the first ones out of the factory did not have wrench flats on the flash hider, the later versions have the flats. It is my understanding that the later versions were supposedly better free floated and thus more accurate. If you do buy one, I recommend actually handling the one your going to buy first, and inspect the free-float. Just my 2 cents.

It has already been done-SMLE No 5 Jungle Carbine. By the way silky smooth action and a surprising trigger.

I owned one for a bit. Overall I loved 70% of the design. A few things ticked me off:

Non-graduated slip-tension rear peep sight

My steel mags fed alright, but the bolt was definetly not as smooth as their integral magazine rifles. The mags took away from controlled-round feeding.

Though removable...wtf were they thinking with the "mini-30" type flash suppressor?

Things I absolutely loved:

Adjustable length of pull with excellent recoil pad - awesome for compactness and young shooters

Beautiful laminate stock

Aftermarket XS rail so I could put a scope any damn place I wanted

Midweight barrel

Threaded muzzle

Personally, I couldn't give two shits what Jeff Cooper thought a "scout rifle" should be. For myself, a quick-handling compact .308 with ability to run iron sights or scope and look good doing it were what sold me.

Unfortunately, my ruger scout front sight was canted from the factory. Enough so that it couldn't be zeroed. Instead of paying $45 in shipping back to Ruger, I got a full refund and put the money elsewhere. I'm debating giving one another try in the future.

I have been in the market for another 308 bolt gun for a couple months now. I keep picking one up at the LGS and I just can't find it in my heart to love it.

I hated the bolt on mine, but I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by its accuracy. Mine came new with a 5 rd mag. When I questioned Ruger, they sent me a free 10 rd. mag within a few days. Great service.