• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

I spent some time on eBay/Gunbroker searching but not luck. I reached out to Ruger and they said "The barrel is a factory fitted item and can't be sold to anyone; it needs to be installed by our technicians at the factory. We would only re-barrel the firearm with the original length and caliber it came with. "

Is there another forum here I could post on?

I'll sell you an unfired 6 CM barrel. My gun should be here early next week ?

I spent some time on eBay/Gunbroker searching but not luck. I reached out to Ruger and they said "The barrel is a factory fitted item and can't be sold to anyone; it needs to be installed by our technicians at the factory. We would only re-barrel the firearm with the original length and caliber it came with. "

Is there another forum here I could post on?

Well I wouldn’t have bought the rifle if I knew all my tools would be useless on it! ?

Any issues associated with having an aftermarket stainless barrel under the keymod handguard? I won't be able to access it to oil it. Any rust issues? What if the gun gets wet?

About ready to install a new krieger barrel and wondering if i should cerakote it.

Thanks!

Getting stainless steel wet with not cause a SS barrel to rust. Water, humidity will typically have no effect on stainless steel . . . unless the water is quite acidic and/or you have dissimilar metals in contact with it. There are conditions where stainless steel can "rust" and one might see in scratches where the metal is exposed to some forms of acidic fluid (like heavy chlorinated water). And I wouldn't oil a SS barrel so that the barrel doesn't have a tendency to have various practicals (e.g. dust that may be caustic) cling to it.

Another question: I want to order a bipod rail for attaching my atlas. My rifle is a gen 2 with the keymod handguard. Is the bottom of the rail flat, or does it have a radius? ie) Should I be ordering a flat or curved pic rail?

Does the gun come with some keymod hardware to attach the rail, or do I need to order this as well?

Thanks for all the help!

^ The rail will be flat on the bottom but with raised spots that fit into the keymod slots. The rifle comes with a keymod rail and attaching hardware. I now have an mlok handguard and I’ve gotta say I like it better. Easier to use and solid

Reactions: treillw
Another question: I want to order a bipod rail for attaching my atlas. My rifle is a gen 2 with the keymod handguard. Is the bottom of the rail flat, or does it have a radius? ie) Should I be ordering a flat or curved pic rail?

Does the gun come with some keymod hardware to attach the rail, or do I need to order this as well?

Thanks for all the help!
I have a gen 2 with the keymod handguard. A flat section of keymod pic rail will work fine. I suggest a 3” section of metal rail. This will insure it has several attachment points to the handguard for a good solid connection. Also metal will do much better and not flex when to load your bipod. Loading it creates leverage at the mount and non metal pic rail like magpul plastic will flex. I tried one and had to change it for aluminum. I use an Atlas bipod with an ADM QD clamp. Works great.

^ I agree definitely go with metal. I bought one after the first time using the plastic one due to flex. Forgot it came with that

I’m looking for a high quality single stage aftermarket trigger for my 6.5 RPR. Any recommendations?
Have you considered the RPR trigger mod? I did this to mine and the pull weight is just under 1lb, which seems to be the most popular pull weight at the moment (according to the article mentioned above). With this mod, the factory trigger is not a bad option:

Have you considered the RPR trigger mod? I did this to mine and the pull weight is just under 1lb, which seems to be the most popular pull weight at the moment (according to the article mentioned above). With this mod, the factory trigger is not a bad option:

The weight is not so much my dislike as it is the creep. I feel like I’m pulling forever. Maybe it’s just the blade trigger that makes it feel like that but definitely not impressed.

The weight is not so much my dislike as it is the creep. I feel like I’m pulling forever. Maybe it’s just the blade trigger that makes it feel like that but definitely not impressed.
Hmm perhaps try removing the blade? Give the trigger mod a shot, I was pleasantly surprised how much it improved the feel.

Hmm perhaps try removing the blade? Give the trigger mod a shot, I was pleasantly surprised how much it improved the feel.

I've also done the mod (removing the trigger adjustment spring) and have fired over 4000 rounds with it that way . . . and I really like it. Though at 12-14 oz, there is just a slight bit of creep. But I wouldn't recommend having this trigger without the blade . . . because, if you do a slam test, you'll find the striker will let loose easily and that makes it rather dangerous if one happens to be carrying it loaded.

I felt like the RPRs I have bought (5.56 and 6.5) really needed a trigger upgrade. When firing a round, the blade in the trigger felt like there was sand in the mechanism. The feel made me believe the trigger pull was harder than it probably was. Replaced them both with Timney's and couldn't be happier.

On a side note, anyone have a RPR in 338 Lap??? I am wondering how it feels recoil wise. The Creed goes a pretty long way (had it out to 800 and can hit 36" steel at least 3 out of 5), but was looking to try some mile shooting soon. Thoughts???

Reactions: AllWorkAndNoPlay
I felt like the RPRs I have bought (5.56 and 6.5) really needed a trigger upgrade. When firing a round, the blade in the trigger felt like there was sand in the mechanism. The feel made me believe the trigger pull was harder than it probably was. Replaced them both with Timney's and couldn't be happier.

On a side note, anyone have a RPR in 338 Lap??? I am wondering how it feels recoil wise. The Creed goes a pretty long way (had it out to 800 and can hit 36" steel at least 3 out of 5), but was looking to try some mile shooting soon. Thoughts???
36” steel at 800? And you miss 3 out of 8????

Reactions: spife7980
I’m looking for a high quality single stage aftermarket trigger for my 6.5 RPR. Any recommendations?
Not single stage but high quality:

Reactions: sissupr and cb4017

I took my RPR trigger out as soon as I could. Mine had horrible creep. Went with the timney 2 stage and never looked back. I cleaned the crap out of it and it still had creep. I figured I just got a Monday/Friday made one. Practice will make perfect. Orrery soon with more trigger time behind the rifle and learning solid fundamentals you’ll be hitting a 10 inch plate at 800 5 out of 5. I wish there was somewhere around me to shoot a mile. The 6.5 is more than capable.

I have the flat bow Timney in my RPR and love it. I havent adjusted the weight from what it was set at out of the box but just the lack of creep, super clean break and lack of overtravel make it a huge upgrade from factory. I could not stand the feel of the blade on the factory trigger. I prefer 2 stage triggers so it was exactly what I wanted to begin with. I think I paid $170-ish and it was worth every penny.

Hmmm??? I wonder if there tends to be more creep in the RPR trigger at the higher pull weight than at the very low one's??? Since mine is set very low, I don't notice much. The same for my RPRR as I didn't notice much difference between the factory trigger set real low (e.g. with no adjustment spring) than the Timney trigger I am beta testing (which is a very nice trigger and I rate as certainly better than the factory one, but not a great deal more).

Last edited:
^ My weight is dialed all the way down and I like it too. Pretty crisp. I think it’s actually the only factory trigger I’ve left in

Reactions: 10ring1
^ I agree definitely go with metal. I bought one after the first time using the plastic one due to flex. Forgot it came with that

So the rail that came with my gun seems like its aluminum to me. I scratched the back of it and it's shiny....

How did you guys get plastic ones?

So the rail that came with my gun seems like its aluminum to me. I scratched the back of it and it's shiny....

How did you guys get plastic ones?

Maybe they started giving aluminum rails with the gen two? Mine is a gen one and came with the plastic

Any suggestions on a scope to put on this fat pig? The Vortex 4.5-27 has caught my eye.

Reactions: sissupr
Any suggestions on a scope to put on this fat pig? The Vortex 4.5-27 has caught my eye.

I’m in a similar boat - picking up my 6mm creed RPR this weekend and trying to decide between Athlon Ares BTR ($600 it appears currently) or a Viper PST Gen 2 5-25 (whatever cost is at the dealer I do work for)

I'm not going to make a specific scope suggestion, however, my limited experience leans toward a scope with 10 mil per revolution turrets. At least, that would be one suggestion if you will be dialing elevation often.

As well as coming off the bench and going to prone on the mat, I am also bailing the vertical rifle case in favor of a drag bag; something like the Eberlestock E2b. Would you guys have another recommendation for a bag?

Scratch that, looks like I am looking for a nice Plano case of some kind instead. No need for a drag bag in the civilian market I don't believe.

Last edited: