• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

Well my new RPR 300 PRC is at least shootable. Found a old Primary Arms scope as Temporary scope, until I decide what scope I want + Spuhr mount to go with it

Attachments

• 55A852BB-48C2-4E35-8B47-CAB21D390BCF.jpeg
    55A852BB-48C2-4E35-8B47-CAB21D390BCF.jpeg
    475.7 KB · Views: 151
Once my barrel gets here and I get it mounted, I'm gonna send some pics of my paint job along also.

I rebarreled to 7mm-08 from 6 Creed. Ruger honestly needs to team up with Magpul for their stocks. The OEM stocks suck ass . Just my opinion though.

I'm not needing a new barrel yet and my RPR stock barrel shoots lights out....going by barrel life range I'm about half way through it's life. Quite frankly I'm considering picking up another stock take off barrel this one shoots so well, but also considering Proof. Anyone have groups/ammo with Proof Stainless they want to share I'd love to hear. Thanks

I'm not needing a new barrel yet and my RPR stock barrel shoots lights out....going by barrel life range I'm about half way through it's life. Quite frankly I'm considering picking up another stock take off barrel this one shoots so well, but also considering Proof. Anyone have groups/ammo with Proof Stainless they want to share I'd love to hear. Thanks

I just bought this Proof barrel on sale for $479 at midway will be shooting it at 1000 yards this weekend I will let you know. I wish I had cum across the price you posted very nice

I started out with the 6.5CM, then bought the 338LM. Been playing with that one more than any of my rifles since I got it. One thing I didn't like on the 338 was the ability to lighten the trigger down the 1 1/2# like I could on the 6.5. So I switched out the trigger to a Timney. NICE! Factory set at 8oz. for the first stage and 16oz. for the second. Admittedly I don't really feel the 8oz. first stage but the second breaks right at 1 1/2#. Tried it out last weekend to test the trigger and an LMT DMR stock I put on it. Just 3 rds is all I could try but it looks like I'm going to like both. A lot!

Guys, I have 3 RPR, 6.5 Cd, .308 and a .17 HMR. I do enjoy shooting them all, BUT I hate the stocks And the bolt shroud!!! Any input on where to buy decent stocks and what to get. Thanks !

Guys, I have 3 RPR, 6.5 Cd, .308 and a .17 HMR. I do enjoy shooting them all, BUT I hate the stocks And the bolt shroud!!! Any input on where to buy decent stocks and what to get. Thanks !
I replaced mine after the first outing. The OEM stocks do suck ass. I replaced mine with a Magpul PRS Gen3. Sold the original one for 125 shipped to a forum member here. So basically paid 75 for the PRS.

Reactions: Cunninglynguist
Quite honestly I see nothing wrong with the stock. More than satisfied with mine. The only reason I changed out the 338LM stock was because I could. Just trying out something different, if I don't like it I'll put it on an AR. It may not have that "KOOL" factor but it does exactly what it was designed for. Ruger designed it well, extremely usable, or easily changed, an owners wet dream.

I feel the same way about the Ruger trigger. On the non magnums that is. Nice trigger, easily adjustable. But I feel the magnum should be able to be adjusted down lower than 2.5#. I really like my 6.5CM but I feel Ruger made a mistake when they made the magnum lower limit only 2.5#. It's a precision rifle, not a hunter, you should be able to get the trigger lower for target shooting. That's the only reason I changed the trigger. Excellent trigger on the non mags.

Just remember, every time they change/upgrade something, this increases the price which really defeats the whole purpose of this rifle.

I replaced mine after the first outing. The OEM stocks do suck ass. I replaced mine with a Magpul PRS Gen3. Sold the original one for 125 shipped to a forum member here. So basically paid 75 for the PRS.
How did you find someone that wanted a spare stock WoW that would be the only way I would replace mine. I have found as long as you are the only person shooting the guy once it is adjusted it is ok.

I just listed it. People like them. They are universal on any AR platform. Instead of sinking 200 plus dollars on a PRS, they took mine. I just didn't like the adjustments. Felt very gritty and would loosen up the whole time I was out there. Spent as much time fucking with the stock as I did shooting.

I just listed it. People like them. They are universal on any AR platform. Instead of sinking 200 plus dollars on a PRS, they took mine. I just didn't like the adjustments. Felt very gritty and would loosen up the whole time I was out there. Spent as much time fucking with the stock as I did shooting.

Quite honestly I see nothing wrong with the stock. More than satisfied with mine. The only reason I changed out the 338LM stock was because I could. Just trying out something different, if I don't like it I'll put it on an AR. It may not have that "KOOL" factor but it does exactly what it was designed for. Ruger designed it well, extremely usable, or easily changed, an owners wet dream.

I feel the same way about the Ruger trigger. On the non magnums that is. Nice trigger, easily adjustable. But I feel the magnum should be able to be adjusted down lower than 2.5#. I really like my 6.5CM but I feel Ruger made a mistake when they made the magnum lower limit only 2.5#. It's a precision rifle, not a hunter, you should be able to get the trigger lower for target shooting. That's the only reason I changed the trigger. Excellent trigger on the non mags.

Just remember, every time they change/upgrade something, this increases the price which really defeats the whole purpose of this rifle.

Same. Mine never moves. Only sucks when I grow a beard, it likes to pinch and pull on my hair. Works great though. Adding a different stock also adds weight to the rear causing the rifle to be more off balance than it is from the factory.

The magpul stocks are nice. Also you can use stocks from here: https://www.luth-ar.com/ or from Seekins: https://www.seekinsprecision.com/product/pro-composites.html or basically just about any stock that fits the AR15 platform. Also if you've got some extra cash this is a very nice stock: and at least a couple of places you can look for a new bolt shroud: https://www.longriflesinc.com/colle...t-replacement-billet-al-ruger-rpr-bolt-shroud and here: https://www.anarchyoutdoors.com/ruger-precision-rifle-bolt-shroud-replacement/ They also have fluted ones too.

The magpul stocks are nice. Also you can use stocks from here: https://www.luth-ar.com/ or from Seekins: https://www.seekinsprecision.com/product/pro-composites.html or basically just about any stock that fits the AR15 platform. Also if you've got some extra cash this is a very nice stock: and at least a couple of places you can look for a new bolt shroud: https://www.longriflesinc.com/colle...t-replacement-billet-al-ruger-rpr-bolt-shroud and here: https://www.anarchyoutdoors.com/ruger-precision-rifle-bolt-shroud-replacement/ They also have fluted ones too.

I'm going to load some 140gr. Hornady Match with H4350 and then Hornady 147 eld-x's looking to see what load guys are using. I'm shooting Hornady eld-x 143gr with 41.2 H4350 at around 2740 with a pretty accurate load, just wanting to see if these will do better. I'm going to ladder test these and then try the Hornady 147 eld-x. I've read where the 147's do really well but want to try the 140's since there just sitting on my bench.

I know not to use someone else's load, just looking at what you use and I'll work my way up.

Guys, my .243 RPR is going to need a new barrel soon. Trying to decide if I should stay .243 or go to 6.5. Obviously got the goods for the .243, and would have to get the dies and such for the 6.5. I know it is my choice, but wanted to get your thoughts on what you would do. I am mainly shooting 600 yds or less, but occasionally get an opportunity to reach out to 1,000. So, should I stay .243 or go 6.5?

Guys, my .243 RPR is going to need a new barrel soon. Trying to decide if I should stay .243 or go to 6.5. Obviously got the goods for the .243, and would have to get the dies and such for the 6.5. I know it is my choice, but wanted to get your thoughts on what you would do. I am mainly shooting 600 yds or less, but occasionally get an opportunity to reach out to 1,000. So, should I stay .243 or go 6.5?

The barrel life of the 6.5 is a nice benefit, the only other benefit is factory ammo, but if you are reloading then that doesn't really matter. I think for your use case it really does come down to personal preference as you indicated.

I have a 6 CM and have been loading 103 gr. Hornady's with almost 1" accuracy which is pretty good, but not as good as I was expecting. I am going to try 115 gr. Dtacs.
Two questions:
I was at a match and one of my squad mates told me to try an AI mag for the additional length so I can load closer to the lands. Does anyone know how much more length an AI mag provides?
Are there any pet loads for this round? I'm not a speed demon. Just want good SD and accuracy.

Reactions: WI3Der
Here's how mine sits now.

RPR
27" 7mm-08 barrel from preferred barrel blanks
Timney flat trigger set at 1.5lbs
Magpul Gen3 PRS
Tuxedo Grip from anarachy
Stock bolt
AAC Brake for my can
Magpul bipod
EGW 30MOA rail
Vortex Viper PST 6-24 ebr-2c MRAD
Snakeskin paint job by me
15835004069921139070126018698515.jpg

While I absolutely love both my 6.5CM and my 338, one problem I've encountered with the 338 is the variance in size of the mags/receiver. I only received one magazine with mine when I got it, and it's always been a bitch to insert/remove from the receiver. I figured it was an excess of coating and it would probably wear in. Never did. I ordered another mag so I'd have an extra and it fit great. Almost a drop free fit. I measured the two mags and the original was right at .030" wider in the body at the feed lips. No wonder it was so tight! I emailed Ruger and they said send it back and they'd give me a replacement.

A buddy has the 338 RPR too and we were out shooting together Monday. His mag dropped free from his so just for the hell of it I took a caliper and measured his. His measured just like my original (thicker) magazine. His wouldn't hardly fit in my gun either. My thinner mag which is what I'm using now was almost too loose in his receiver, almost rattled around. First off, I feel that's too much difference in magazine dimensions. Can't say that I've measured any other magazines for size variance but I think they should be closer to the same size. But also, apparently because the receiver is 2 piece and bolted together, it allows some variance in width dimensions also.

Had the original mag packaged up to send back but now I don't know what to do. If I get another packaged magazine that's the same size I've still got the same problem. So before I waste my time I guess I'll call Ruger and see what they say.

Have any other magnum owners out there had an issue with their mags??

There were discussions early on of people loosening and retightening their lower components to help mag binding. I'm not really sure of the results, mine didn't need it. I'm also not sure where it is in the threads.

I have a factory RPR .308 barrel with 450 to 500 rounds through it for sale with brake. I switched to a Proof 6.5 I wanted more consistency for shooting out to 1000 yards

Reactions: Bender
Here's how mine sits now.

RPR
27" 7mm-08 barrel from preferred barrel blanks
Timney flat trigger set at 1.5lbs
Magpul Gen3 PRS
Tuxedo Grip from anarachy
Stock bolt
AAC Brake for my can
Magpul bipod
EGW 30MOA rail
Vortex Viper PST 6-24 ebr-2c MRAD
Snakeskin paint job by me
View attachment 7266454
Hey that paint looks very nice. I’m thinking about doing something similar to my RPR. Would you mind sharing how you did that?

While I absolutely love both my 6.5CM and my 338, one problem I've encountered with the 338 is the variance in size of the mags/receiver. I only received one magazine with mine when I got it, and it's always been a bitch to insert/remove from the receiver. I figured it was an excess of coating and it would probably wear in. Never did. I ordered another mag so I'd have an extra and it fit great. Almost a drop free fit. I measured the two mags and the original was right at .030" wider in the body at the feed lips. No wonder it was so tight! I emailed Ruger and they said send it back and they'd give me a replacement.

A buddy has the 338 RPR too and we were out shooting together Monday. His mag dropped free from his so just for the hell of it I took a caliper and measured his. His measured just like my original (thicker) magazine. His wouldn't hardly fit in my gun either. My thinner mag which is what I'm using now was almost too loose in his receiver, almost rattled around. First off, I feel that's too much difference in magazine dimensions. Can't say that I've measured any other magazines for size variance but I think they should be closer to the same size. But also, apparently because the receiver is 2 piece and bolted together, it allows some variance in width dimensions also.

Had the original mag packaged up to send back but now I don't know what to do. If I get another packaged magazine that's the same size I've still got the same problem. So before I waste my time I guess I'll call Ruger and see what they say.

Have any other magnum owners out there had an issue with their mags??

I'm a newly minted RPR owner and haven't had my 338 more than two weeks and haven't fired the first round through it yet so take my experience for what it's worth..... very little. Mine came with two 5rd mags. Both went in and dropped free as expected. I've loaded both mags and cycled ammo through it to check for function, but that was pretty uneventful and went as I had hoped and expected.

Hey that paint looks very nice. I’m thinking about doing something similar to my RPR. Would you mind sharing how you did that?

I loved the outcome of it myself.

First off I took off everything I didn't want painted.

Then I sprayed all the parts with brake cleaner.

Let dry.

Sprayed base coat of Dupli-color silver with ceramic. Let dry.

Took mesh laundry bag and laid over parts. Sprayed with flat black Dupli-color with ceramic.

Let dry and reassembled.

The mesh bag was just laid on top, not tight at all. Was about 2 inches away when I sprayed black paint. Took mesh off immediately and let dry.

I think it looks pretty good for a garage paint job.

Rich

Im building my first RPR in .308, it’s a gen 2 i believe with the aluminum bolt shroud. So far I went with an a2 extension tube with a magpul prs gen 3, magpul miad grip, Seekins precision Sp3r v3 mlok 15” rail, vortex viper pst gen1 4-16x50 ffp scope in a vortex pro extended cantilever mount. I’m going to add an ambi safety, a level and a switch view throw lever for the scope zoom. I’m probably going to stay with a Harris bipod since I have a few around, but I like the idea of a mlok bipod that mounts to the 3 and 9 locations. I like the trigger so I’m not planning a trigger swap. I am going to duracoat it at some point after I get a couple other rifles to paint all at once.
Anyone have any other suggestions? I know most things are user preference.

Im building my first RPR in .308, it’s a gen 2 i believe with the aluminum bolt shroud. So far I went with an a2 extension tube with a magpul prs gen 3, magpul miad grip, Seekins precision Sp3r v3 mlok 15” rail, vortex viper pst gen1 4-16x50 ffp scope in a vortex pro extended cantilever mount. I’m going to add an ambi safety, a level and a switch view throw lever for the scope zoom. I’m probably going to stay with a Harris bipod since I have a few around, but I like the idea of a mlok bipod that mounts to the 3 and 9 locations. I like the trigger so I’m not planning a trigger swap. I am going to duracoat it at some point after I get a couple other rifles to paint all at once.
Anyone have any other suggestions? I know most things are user preference.

Ammo.
Lots of ammo.

I hope I am at the correct thread. I have two RPR 6.5 cm and 223 both are fine rifles for my use, shooting paper out to 500 yds. The issue is with the 223. I am getting some primer crating. I have been told that I need to firing pin bushed. Where can I get this done with a short turn around time?

Have you used this company for this work and if so what the turn around time?

Damn it! I was supposed to have my opening day out with the RPR but I live in NY which is a hell hole right now. So. Ya know...

It is worth starting with Ruger. Describe the problem. If they want it back for fixing, they will recommend sending it in a plain box. If you don't have one they may send you one. They did for me. I sent back one that was assembled slightly short, enough so that most ammo wouldn't let the bolt close.

Thanks very much, I will get in contact with them for infor. So the bushing stop the crating .
Fixed mine, I also had him flute my bolt and micro slick it and true my bolt. I love it, makes for easier bolt travel. If he trues your bolt you need to recheck the headspace. I took it to my gun smith to check headspace which he did but said that the Ruger RPR really did not need to have the headspace checked as the bolts due not have enough removed to need re-headspaced.

Fixed mine, I also had him flute my bolt and micro slick it and true my bolt. I love it, makes for easier bolt travel. If he trues your bolt you need to recheck the headspace. I took it to my gun smith to check headspace which he did but said that the Ruger RPR really did not need to have the headspace checked as the bolts due not have enough removed to need re-headspaced.

Thanks for the help

Anyone using a aftermarket 6.5 barrel shooting factory federal 130’s or Prime? What did you go with and how has it been shooting? Thanks

Anyone using a aftermarket 6.5 barrel shooting factory federal 130’s or Prime? What did you go with and how has it been shooting? Thanks

While not a 6.5 , I put a Krieger prefit barrel on my 300wm RPR and it shot much better than the factory barrel which was mediocre at best. The factory barrel performance wasn't close to providing the performance one would expect from a precision rifle. With the Krieger barrel, I've shot <= 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups out to 440 yards which is as far as I've been able to go so far.

Highly recommend looking at Krieger for your 6.5.

Reactions: Hardpan
I am getting some primer crating. I have been told that I need to firing pin bushed. Where can I get this done with a short turn around time?
Not sure if you reload but once I switched to magnum primers (cci 450) my cratering issues went away. Shooting 6mm creedmoor