• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion

Any thoughts on purchasing the Savage rather than the Ruger and then not having to replace the barrel?
As said above, people don't replace the RPR barrel because it's inferior, they replace them because they are shot out or simply worn to the point accuracy fades. What more is the Savage going to give you? Some of these rounds are hot, venerable barrel killers. 308 will last for years and 20k, 6mmCM will give you 3k and a season of shooting. Just the way it is.
Both rifles are simple to replace the barrels, you just have to decide what you want for features. A Savage in a hot caliber won't last any longer than a RPR in the same caliber.

I dismissed the comment as a Savage fan wanting to push their product of choice :)

However, I do think it is a fair question to ask why put $1200 in new parts on a gen 2 RPR when I could have bought a 6.5 PRC, or for a few hundred more got a Tikka.

That is a easy question for me. After 1300-1500 rounds I am very comfortable with the rifle and the round, and can make good use of them. It may be mental, but brother-in-law also has a 6mm RPR, and I can tell a difference in general feel when I shoot his. The best rifle is the one you perform with. Think of riding in the truck with your grandfather 30 years ago and he would shoot a crow at 150 yards with a dirty beat up .222. Is that a superior rifle, not at all, it likely had never even been cleaned. Is it very deadly in the hands of someone who is used to it? Absolutely.

The old barrel would still probably shoot better than the typical recreational shooter. I used to shoot 1/2-3/4 groups all day long at a 100yrd indoor range, then after about the 800 round mark that started to change to 3/4-1in groups.

My understanding is that the majority of RPR owners change the barrel when it is worn out.
What would be the advantage of getting a Savage, miracle barrel steel that last forever? Lol
Yeah I might consider savage if they have one of those new forever barrels

As said above, people don't replace the RPR barrel because it's inferior, they replace them because they are shot out or simply worn to the point accuracy fades. What more is the Savage going to give you? Some of these rounds are hot, venerable barrel killers. 308 will last for years and 20k, 6mmCM will give you 3k and a season of shooting. Just the way it is.
Both rifles are simple to replace the barrels, you just have to decide what you want for features. A Savage in a hot caliber won't last any longer than a RPR in the same caliber.

I replaced barrel on my .300 win mag RPR due to quality. The Krieger replacement is much better from accuracy and consistency standpoints.

Anyone using the Patriot Valley Arms barrel nut system for the RPR? It allows the use of standard AR handguards.
Review? Pluses or minuses?

Anyone using the Patriot Valley Arms barrel nut system for the RPR? It allows the use of standard AR handguards.
Review? Pluses or minuses?
I used the factory handguard still on my gen 2 after I put my pva barrel on. Switching to a seekins handguard in a week or 2 and will probably use the seekins handguard nut

Any thoughts on purchasing the Savage rather than the Ruger and then not having to replace the barrel?
Only reason I replaced the barrel on mine is it had 2900 rounds. Still shot fine. Got another one to leave some meat on the bone of my stock barrel in case I need one down the road. That's on my 6.5CM

Installed a target tool stock on my RPR 300 PRC, and it looks great.
E8752D45-83BB-403C-8A5A-1FC0BE08C107.jpeg

I put the Seekins hand guard on my RPR (308) early on. Good solid HG
I just painted it to match my rig I painted years ago. I’ll let it set up a couple days then install it with the arca rail
DB31A60A-F6AF-4280-8B77-2FD89EE42DCD.jpeg

I apologize if this has already been asked and answered (fng question most likely), but what’s the minimum scope ring/mount height folks are using with a 34mm tube/56mm scope lens on a Gen 1 rifle (full rail on top of the handguard)? Thanks.

Last edited:
I apologize if this has already been asked and answered (fng question most likely), but what’s the minimum scope ring/mount height folks are using with a 34mm tube/56mm scope lens on a Gen 1 rifle (full rail on top of the handguard)? Thanks.

I would go with a 1.5 inch mount. You could probably go 1.38 but you’ll get better cheek purchase and won’t have to smash your face on the cheek riser.

I would go 1.5, I was running 1.45 and it was fine with the gen 3 but if you want to run the seekins handguard or a full length rail it will be a very tight fit.

Yeah, figured 1.5” was the safest call. Thanks for confirming. Running an HS currently that *barely* clears the rail on the Seekins guard and want to upgrade to a Razor or Toric.

Anyone running a Luth-AR stock on their gun? I’m thinking of switching out mine and was wondering if anyone had any experience with one.
I did for while, worked really well, but I had a PRS from another rifle and now run that. Seems to fit me better.

I recently switched to a PRS as well for better fit. Did have to move my scope mount back for proper eye relief though as the comb is slightly farther back.

I used the factory handguard still on my gen 2 after I put my pva barrel on. Switching to a seekins handguard in a week or 2 and will probably use the seekins handguard nut
I just switched over to a Seekins which works for me as usually buy and sell add ons about half a dozen times before I get it right.

Reactions: Hardpan
Now I am shopping around for triggers, any suggestions other than Timney not that there is anything bad about Timney just looking for options and recommendations

I just switched over to a Seekins which works for me as usually buy and sell add ons about half a dozen times before I get it right.
I know what you mean and just experienced it again. So the inner diameter of the seekins handguard nut is smaller than the gen 2 handguard nut, it won’t fit over my aftermarket barrel so I’m up the creek with the seekins. I emailed them and they don’t recommend messing with boreing out the inner diameter due to the walls being thin already. Looks like I’ll be selling this handguard. Sucks I painted it too

I know what you mean and just experienced it again. So the inner diameter of the seekins handguard nut is smaller than the gen 2 handguard nut, it won’t fit over my aftermarket barrel so I’m up the creek with the seekins. I emailed them and they don’t recommend messing with boreing out the inner diameter due to the walls being thin already. Looks like I’ll be selling this handguard. Sucks I painted it too
Get the barrel nut from Seekins and ask them to RUSH send it to you. Its been awhile since I bought mine but I am thinking that it was a separate item (why I don't know). I like the flat bottom on it and the fact that its solid. You're not going to be able to bend or break this one.

Reactions: greg1147
I had to go after my gen 2 handguard nut with a file and emery cloth to open it enough to go over my aftermarket barrel as well. Also had to use a 0.030” barrel shim to be able to fully tighten the handguard back on the rifle as well.

Get the barrel nut from Seekins and ask them to RUSH send it to you. Its been awhile since I bought mine but I am thinking that it was a separate item (why I don't know). I like the flat bottom on it and the fact that its solid. You're not going to be able to bend or break this one.
I appreciate the advise but it’s the handguard nut I’m having an issue with. The barrel nut does not come into the equation. I’ve already talked with customer service at seekins about the issue.

I had to go after my gen 2 handguard nut with a file and emery cloth to open it enough to go over my aftermarket barrel as well. Also had to use a 0.030” barrel shim to be able to fully tighten the handguard back on the rifle as well.

My gen 2 handguard nut barely fit over my aftermarket barrel. Foolish of me to assume the seekins would work without checking with them first.

I appreciate the advise but it’s the handguard nut I’m having an issue with. The barrel nut does not come into the equation. I’ve already talked with customer service at seekins about the issue.
Sorry, misunderstood.

I still have the original barrel nut and hand guard, I think Igot the Seekins barrel nut when I bought hand guard, I don't recall needing to buy it separately.

Anyone have an ARCA rail mounted to their forend? There’s a couple of different makes and lengths out there. Looking for some input. Thanks

Handguard includes integral QD sling attachment points to eliminate the need for additional adaptors, a target-style flat bottom that improves stability and an integral bottom 1.50" dovetail that is compatible with RRS S.O.A.R. and similar QD systems.

That is from the 26" 6mm creedmoor factory rifle description. Maybe someone has one and can comment. I don't see any handguards listed on their parts wesite. Calling Ruger, you might find out if they sell them.

That is from the 26" 6mm creedmoor factory rifle description. Maybe someone has one and can comment. I don't see any handguards listed on their parts wesite. Calling Ruger, you might find out if they sell them.

I recently emailed Ruger about purchasing one of their newer ARCA ready handguards. Their reply stated that they do not offer them for individual sale at this time.

Well I still have a brand new arca rail from sawtooth for the seekins Sp3r handguard for sale. $95 to your door

Anyone have a take off gen3 short action handguard they are looking to get rid of? Pm me if you do. Thanks

Hello All,

I'm new to RPR and also new to bolt action rifles. All previous rifles have been semi autos based on AR 15 or AR 10 platforms.

I'm also a somewhat experienced reloader (since the 90's), but I have a specific question regarding RPR's (or more generally bolt actions).

As I start to work up loads for my new rifle, are the pressure signs the same as autos? I would expect the case rim to be much less stressed than an auto when the load is getting too hot, but what about the other signs? Do they exhibit extractor marks? Besides a flattening primer do RPR's crater or pierce primers? My rifle is 6.5CM fwiw.

Also, what do you all consider broken in in regards to # of rounds?

Thanks in advance!

Baldur459

A thousand people will have a thousand different break-in numbers for you. The RPR is a great start off rifle. Solid. Proven. And priced right. Can you buy better, more expensive rifles? Sure but that's a rabbit hole for later. Buy a book and track your round count.

Are you looking to bench shoot?

Bolt action rounds - don't just eject them and let them fly. They'll get banged up hitting the floor. Use the same brand/type/grain of ammo. Once you fire a round wait a few seconds for the round to sit in the chamber. The shell will form to the chamber and make reloading easier.
Pressures? Go to the Ruger site for a basis, but I am sure someone on here can be more specific for you.

If I shoot factory I shoot Federal Gold Medal Sierra MatchKing BTHP 168gr. A proven round. Start there

To answer your other question, I'm bench rest shooting now, but once comfortable I'm thinking of trying some competition in my local area.

Picked up a used Ruger Precision 308 Gen 1 a few months ago and finally had the chance to go shoot it. I'm definitely not the best shooter in the world and this was my first time behind the gun. I was shooting Federal GMM 168 SMK's with 5 shot groups at 100 yards. The first photo with the top left group was shot without a suppressor. The second photo with the group in the middle was shot with a suppressor and I definitely pulled one of those shots. Overall, really digging this rifle!

Q6mcAhmm.jpg

hCK90jMm.jpg

llTXrufl.jpg

Last edited:
I have never owned a bolt gun before and am interested in getting my first one. Been looking at a RPR in 6.5 creedmore to do basically bench shooting at my local range that goes out to 300 Yards. I do have some areas that I can shoot out to a mile. Just wandering if this is going to be more Gun than I really need? If so what would you suggest for a first bolt gun? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

I have never owned a bolt gun before and am interested in getting my first one. Been looking at a RPR in 6.5 creedmore to do basically bench shooting at my local range that goes out to 300 Yards. I do have some areas that I can shoot out to a mile. Just wandering if this is going to be more Gun than I really need? If so what would you suggest for a first bolt gun? Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Mine is a Gen2 .308 RPR and I've been happy with it since day one. I've talked to quite a few shooters at my local ranges who went with the 6.5CM and they were also very happy from day one. Their 6.5's did a lot better than my .308, especially when they were shooting 140 ELD's. I went with the RPR .308 instead of a 6.5 mainly because I know the barrel will last a lot longer than a 6.5CM. There's plenty of accessories and ways to customize an RPR to your taste. So, I feel it's a very good buy and well worth it's price point. Whether it's more or less of a gun than you really need . . . only YOU can determine that. I would say you should be able to pick one up for less that $1K if you're patient and keep your eyes open.

I don't think that you can go wrong with an RPR in 6.5Creedmoor, I have one and my son shoots it out to 1000yards. Although a Tikka Tac A1 may be an alternative.

Youll have five visits to the 300 range with an RPR 6.5 before you start looking for longer ranges.