• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rifle Gen 2 vs Savage Ashbury

Doc Hawk

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2017
Debating between the two in 6.5. Money not a factor; they are both in the same price range. The way I intend to use the platform, I would benefit from the folding stock. I have heard great things about the RPR and was on a wait list for over a year. After all that time, suddenly I got a call from my local shop (AO Sword Firearms) that they have both of these rifles available. I hadn't considered the Savage before for this slot in my rack, but I do own a 110BA in 338 Lapua and really enjoy it.

Has anyone actually held one of the Ashburys in their hands, let alone shot one? Any firsthand or informed secondhand experience on how these rifles stack up?

Might be late too late, but I have the Savage 10 APO in 6.5CM and like it. My only gripe is that it comes with the Magpul CTR stock. Savage is offering their MSR 10 long range with a PRS Gen3 which in my opinion would've been better suited on the APO. I swapped the EGW 0 base that comes on it with a 20 MOA base so it requires high rings for the obj bell of my DMR II to clear the front handguard. This meant that i had to buy an additional cheek riser for the CTR ($20). I'm going to the range on Saturday to zero it so I'll update with how it shoots later in the weekend.

I have a BA10 Stealth in 6.5 and an RPR also in 6.5. I need to get glass on both before I can compare the two. I took the cheesy stock off the Savage and replaced it with an MDT skeleton stock.

I don't have that particular Savage but I have others, precision target action based F/TR, and an RPR.

I'd vote for the RPR. It is not a chassis rifle in the strictest sense where you put a barrelled action into the chassis, but rather the components fasten directly to the action. That has some fundamental advantages. I am using Leupold LRT scope mounted low shooting from a sling. I have cheek support all the way forward, similar to nose to carry handle, like on a service rifle. The average chassis rifle does not have a cheek piece above the running bolt for support that far forward.

I have had good luck with factory barrels on both brands and new barrels are easy enough which ever one you choose.

The advice is worth what you paid for it.

I have shot both, and currently own the savage ba10 stealth in 6.5. I dont think you would go wrong with either one. I will say that for an off the shelf rifle the savage is pretty accurate. Ive shot spray paint cans at 700 yards with it, with ease.

Last edited:
I don't like the RPR buttstock, though I think the action is nicer and I have three savages. My LRP 6.5 CM that I bought to start shooting long range still shoots as good as my custom. The action isn't as smooth and I can't run it as hard as my stiller action but it's just accurate. I've shot both and they're both decent rifles. I just couldn't get comfortable on the RPR, if I had one I'd put a XLR or PRS stock on it.

Reactions: 10ring1
I love my RPR in 6.5CM although I hated the factory butt stock!!! That buttstock may look great but making any adjustments to it were a pain and IMHO was by far the worst butt stock of any rifle I own. Once I swapped it out with a Magpul PRS stock all things changed for the best! I also swapped out the bolt shroud, bolt tool, and bolt knob with titanium components from Anarchy Outdoors since the bolt shroud on the Gen 2 RPR did not pass muster. Finally, I had Rampart Gunworks spray the receiver and forearm Magpul OD Green Cerakote and the barrel Armor Black. Added a Vortex Razor HD II to complete the project.....ready to put her to work slaying zombies.

Attachments

• photo58710.jpg
    photo58710.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 75
  • photo58718.jpg
    photo58718.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 107
  • photo58719.jpg
    photo58719.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 82
  • photo58724.jpg
    photo58724.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 106
  • photo58727.jpg
    photo58727.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 82
  • photo58728.jpg
    photo58728.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 86
  • photo58729.jpg
    photo58729.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 78
  • photo58730.jpg
    photo58730.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 62
  • photo58731.jpg
    photo58731.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 64
  • photo58733.jpg
    photo58733.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 55
Does the slight movement of the RPR folding stock mechanism affect accuracy. My RPR has a slight wiggle. I haven't mounted a scope to it and shoot it.

Does the slight movement of the RPR folding stock mechanism affect accuracy. My RPR has a slight wiggle. I haven't mounted a scope to it and shoot it.
Mine does the same, what did you find out?

I have a few thousand rounds through my RPR. It always feeds, extracts, and ejects. While I have a new barrel on it now, the old barrel and the new barrel both shoot great. I run it hard in matches. The gun gets banged around. It has also seen its share of sand and mud in the action. It always runs great. It also runs AI, ARC, and MAGPUL mags flawlessly. I love the gun. The last match I was at there were 13 RPR's there. I did not see one Savage/ APO. What does that tell you? I like Savage rifles, they shoot great. But Ruger has set the bar. PM me if you have any questions.

Bang

Does anyone make a short, unobtrusive bolt handle for the RPR? I’m a lefty that shoots right-handed guns and it seems the stock bolt handle will be in the way when I eventually get my TPR.

Thanks.

I love my RPR in 6.5CM although I hated the factory butt stock!!! That buttstock may look great but making any adjustments to it were a pain and IMHO was by far the worst butt stock of any rifle I own. Once I swapped it out with a Magpul PRS stock all things changed for the best...

Nice pics. Does the stock still fold like the stock buttstock did?

6.5 RPR. SAS Arbitor. Factory Hornady 140gr Black. Bushnell LRHS 3-12. Harris bipod from a bench. I called the flyer. Much smoother and pleasant to shoot than my old Savage. It was in a Manners t4a though. I used to be a Savage lover. Still have a soft spot for them. I just see more value in other rifles.

Attachments

• 20180712_140144.jpg
    20180712_140144.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 31