• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Precision Rimfire

I have the model 8351 and the 8348. I don't think either of them have barrel nuts. I didn't think the RPR rimfire did either. I just took a cursory look at it and saw that the action appeared the same and assumed they put it in a tactical stock. The bolt and trigger look the same to me as well.

Nice. RPR has barrel nut. So it may offer up easy change barrel options in the future.

Well took my RPRR out today after 100 cci sv down range .Settled down and was shooting at 200 meters no problem hitting 3" size targets .
I have a leupold 6x18 with target turrets .Sighted in at 50 meters at 200 it was 30 moa to connect on the targets .
We normally shoot 1/5 nra scale at 50,100,150 and 200 meters off the bench .

HAPPY SHOOTER MRT949

Has anyone figured out the ejection or extraction problem ?

Reactions: GTMANN
Has anyone figured out the ejection or extraction problem ?

Gonna start messing with mine and see. It ejects most of the time, but there are definitely more non ejects/extractions that I would consider acceptable.

Will run it in a competition later this month and see if it comes up.

I haven't had an extraction problem with mine yet with match ammo or CCI SV. Smooth as ever.

Lilja has posted a barrel coming soon. I sure would like to see Federson do one. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. Great barrel maker.

I haven't had an extraction problem with mine yet with match ammo or CCI SV. Smooth as ever.

Lilja has posted a barrel coming soon. I sure would like to see Federson do one. I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. Great barrel maker.

My issues could just be me not cycling the bolt properly. Though it’s happening a fair amount and I never have any issue with centerfire.

My issues could just be me not cycling the bolt properly. Though it’s happening a fair amount and I never have any issue with centerfire.

I took out the 1st clip so it cycles like a centerfire rifle. Slow you roll a bit on cycling the bolt and see what happens. You don't need to go snails pace, just be smooth. You'll have plenty of things to keep your mind occupied on follow up shots anyway so no real reason hurry too much.

10 shot groups at 50 off bipod on a card table. Gusty crosswind also. I had several types of ammo, cci sv, eley edge, eley target, wolf match target,aguila target and sk magazine. I think there is potential in this rifle.

Attachments

• 2018-05-11 16.37.57-1.jpg
    2018-05-11 16.37.57-1.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 2018-05-11 16.38.12-1.jpg
    2018-05-11 16.38.12-1.jpg
    489.1 KB · Views: 143
Reactions: Hardpan
Pre-ordered 1 from Brownells a while ago.....No ETA given...
Anyone got the top secret knowledge of possible ship dates?

Well called ruger .Told them about my issues .
They said send it back . I said NO NO NO .
Send me new parts . So they will send me a spring and extractor .
I have dealt with this problem before Rim thickness .
I worked for kel tec for 20 years in different areas over the years .
Had related problems with extraction .

YES I AM RETIRED WOOHOO.
ENJOY SHOOTING ALL THE TIME ALL 22LR

Well called ruger .Told them about my issues .
They said send it back . I said NO NO NO .
Send me new parts . So they will send me a spring and extractor .
I have dealt with this problem before Rim thickness .
I worked for kel tec for 20 years in different areas over the years .
Had related problems with extraction .

I've been having the same issues since I got my RPRF back in Jan. I've tried modifying the spring (which helped, just a little) and even exchanging the spring and extractor from my Ruger American rimfire (which improved it quite a lot, but still not very consistent extraction). So, I've been thinking about giving Ruger a call and wasn't sure what they might do to fix it. So, I'm go to call them and have them do the same in sending me a new spring an extractor and hopefully Ruger as made adjustments in these parts to solve this problem . . . for all of us.

Thanks for your report. Please let us know how the new part work for you and I'll do the same.

ALSO a retired and shooting 22LR a lot.

Just wanted to post this pic. Federal auto match bulk ammo. Paid $15 for 325 rounds. This was 10 rounds at 50 yards. Tried 100 yards a couple days ago but the tailwinds were blowing from 3.6-8.9 mph and was totally throwing the bullets around. I would much rather shoot in crosswinds but it was still a great learning experience. Love the rifle. It makes a great trainer.

Attachments

• FB4B6A6F-78BF-41B6-AB74-AA35B655F72A.jpeg
    FB4B6A6F-78BF-41B6-AB74-AA35B655F72A.jpeg
    532.7 KB · Views: 188
Was out this morning . Windy after a 50 meter zero went to 200 meters 30 moa elevation then 12 1/4 clicks to hit a 4" gong .
Had a good time fighting the WIND .
Using cci sv .

Oh i figured out the feeding problems .
IT"S THE MAGS .
I have 10 mags that are 10 rounders some work some don't .
But if you put upward pressure when you cycle the bolt it works all the time

Found one in stock locally and put it on layaway for my boy till his birthday. Now to get another scope :)
I am still hoping someone comes out with a lightweight barrel . With one it would be the perfect set up for teaching kids how to shoot.

Looking pretty heavy into this. Was thinking of upgrading an old varmint 17 Savage into a trainer but thinking this may be the way to go. Dig all of the info in this thread. Thanks to all that post

Cases sticking in chamber with cci sv .
I guess you must clean the chamber after 150 rounds.
Had the same problem with my charger and exemplar .
Bolt gyns no biggie .
But my charger is a takedown so so bad either .

The 10/22 and it's beginning to seem like the RPR rimfire are magazine sensitive. The way the bullet feeds out of the mag and into the chamber may be changing the round. Whether that is bending the way the bullet seats into the case and therefore chamber or if it is deforming the nose of the bullet it is making a change and maybe round to round. One of the big claims to fame of a very accurate rifle, the Vudoo, is the way the mag and action handle the bullet when chambering.

Keep your mags clean, try different spring tension settings when you reassymble them. Try different mags. Number your mags and keep a record until you figure out what is working best. Above all try to keep it simple and once you find out what works stay with it.

The 10/22 and it's beginning to seem like the RPR rimfire are magazine sensitive. The way the bullet feeds out of the mag and into the chamber may be changing the round. Whether that is bending the way the bullet seats into the case and therefore chamber or if it is deforming the nose of the bullet it is making a change and maybe round to round. One of the big claims to fame of a very accurate rifle, the Vudoo, is the way the mag and action handle the bullet when chambering.

Keep your mags clean, try different spring tension settings when you reassymble them. Try different mags. Number your mags and keep a record until you figure out what is working best. Above all try to keep it simple and once you find out what works stay with it.

I have three mags 2 15rd and 1 10rd. All are Ruger mags and so far I have not had any feeding or extraction issues. Knock on wood..

I have three mags 2 15rd and 1 10rd. All are Ruger mags and so far I have not had any feeding or extraction issues. Knock on wood..

I'm not talking about feeding or extraction in general but the accuracy changes based on how the bullet is fed into the chamber. I can use 2 separate mags that both feed and extract the same and go from near 1moa to a definite 2 Moa or more with all other factors being the same.

I'm not talking about feeding or extraction in general but the accuracy changes based on how the bullet is fed into the chamber. I can use 2 separate mags that both feed and extract the same and go from near 1moa to a definite 2 Moa or more with all other factors being the same.
PLEASE continue - not being a dick

PLEASE continue - not being a dick

Many of us that shoot 10/22's in the NRL22 matches have found them to not only be ammo sensitive but also mag sensitive. Several of us have found the same thing with the RPR. The 15 round mag that came with my RPR was terrible for accuracy. I ran 6 or 7 10 round mags through my RPR and chose the best one. It now stays with that rifle. Same thing with 3 other 10/22's we have. 2 are full Kidd rifles and the other is an modified Ruger target rifle. You can read about the same thing on several rimfire forums.

Many of us that shoot 10/22's in the NRL22 matches have found them to not only be ammo sensitive but also mag sensitive. Several of us have found the same thing with the RPR. The 15 round mag that came with my RPR was terrible for accuracy. I ran 6 or 7 10 round mags through my RPR and chose the best one. It now stays with that rifle. Same thing with 3 other 10/22's we have. 2 are full Kidd rifles and the other is an modified Ruger target rifle. You can read about the same thing on several rimfire forums.
Thank you.. I can't tell any difference on my Vudoo mags and only had 10 rounders on the RPR-rim I had for a short time.

But I have a buddy that is having issues with the 15 rounders.. I'll pass on the word that it might be worth trying the 10 rounders - Thanks

I was considering the 10 rounders vs the 15 for precision type matches, but had some concern the mag might not drop free or sit far enough below the Magwell to easily grasp for a mag change on the timer (since they are significantly shorter than the 15s)
Does anyone have a close up picture they can post with the 10rounder in the magwell?

Well cleaned the chamber ran 250 rounds today .
All cci sv ammo no problems extraction .

I don't think I've ever heard of this. It's great to know and something to watch out for. Thanks!

Thank you.. I can't tell any difference on my Vudoo mags and only had 10 rounders on the RPR-rim I had for a short time.

But I have a buddy that is having issues with the 15 rounders.. I'll pass on the word that it might be worth trying the 10 rounders - Thanks

Vudoo made a major design improvement in how they pickup and feed rounds into the chamber. I believe that one of the reasons that contributes to the accuracy of the Vudoo is that the cartridges aren't damaged when being loaded and when the bullet meets the lands it is properly aligned with the bore consistently.

Last edited:
Picked up a new RPR yesterday, cleaned the barrel, inspected the trigger mechanism, mounted a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16 BDC, installed my Axion suppressor and hit the range today.

What the bore was like out of the box. It got the solvent, brush, patch solvent, brush, patch, Iosso brushed, and numerous patches to get it clean.
i-BMVgVGj-L.jpg

Also found an E-clip was missing from the sear pin, after reinstalling the trigger in the receiver I understand why. :rolleyes:
The rear action take down screw wouldn't accept a standard allen wrench, had to use a ball head wrench to get it loose, then swapped it out with a new screw.

Ready for duty.
i-pCPBKnw-M.jpg

Bore sighted it the old fashion way on a target at 25 yds, first 5 shots using SK Std+
i-sFCcdrp-L.jpg

Went to 50 yds and the next five rounds got me excited.
i-d7Pf2CF-L.jpg

That was the best as the next 18 5-shot groups didn't hit that .255" center to center group, but it delivered numerous .5" cc groups. I started trying to make it shoot after that first group and was tensing up and influencing the rifle too much, the 9" bipod is too tall for bench shooting requiring too much finicking with the rear bag which didn't help either.

The trigger pull started increasing from my measured 2.5 lb. pull, it probably went up to 4.5 lbs. after group 12 so I ran the adjuster all the way in and backed it out. The first shot on after that I touched off prematurely, the trigger was very light. Checked it when I got home and I was surprised.
i-KRCD5VW-L.jpg

All and all I was very pleased with the rifles ergonomics and function other that the ejector would leave a round laying on top of the magazine if the bolt isn't pulled back with speed. My RAR Target in .17HMR will eject a case easily going slow, so I need to investigate. No extraction issues and solid consistent firing pin strikes.

As dirty as the bore was, I ran two dry patch after the first 30 rounds and the second one was surprisingly clean, after the next 70 (50 of CCI SV) I ran another dry patch which wasn't as dirty as the first and flipped it over and ran it through again and it only had a light trace of residue.

My goal for this gun is to convert it to .17 Mach 2 for digger squirrel eradication in an orchard, now I'm thinking buying another one might not be a bad idea. LOL!

All said, I'm very happy with the gun for the first range trip.

Well just got off the phone with RUGER C.S .
Told them i have a RPR With mag problems and extraction .
They said NO PROBLEM .
We will send you a new CHASSIS .
How about them APPLES .

Took the gun apart for a good cleaning .
When i looked at the mag area things were real sloppy .
My 77/22 ,10/22 and charger are aluminum .
RPR is same as the chassis with no support .

Last edited:
Reactions: Sieg
I really like my RPRR. It shoots one ragged hole at 50 yds. Constant hits on 12in steel at 300 yards (except when the wind puffs up). Mine loves Federal Ultra Match and Norma Match22. Excellent training tool for long range precision.

Reactions: mrt949
I have an RPRR and it shoots great. I also went with a Vudoo so I could use a Huber 2 stage trigger and matching chassis to my match gun.

That said, if I had an RPR centerfire maybe the RPRR would be a better choice.

In general my Vudoo with glass is at around 4500. That’s about 6.5x what my RPRR cost with a cheap Athlon FFP.

The Vudoo shoots almost all super high end match ammo great, the RPRR is super ammo finicky. But when you find the ammo the RPRR likes is shoots lights out too.

I love my Vudoo, but dange it is hard knock what the Ruger does at the price..

My buddy in Georgia just bought one and changed his mind after two range trips. He likes a 223 better. He has is RPRR up for sale hoping for about $380

Honestly, the 22LR trainer concept is not for everyone, but I love it.

Well today received my chassis for my RPR .
All together mag fits nice and snug .
Like all my other Ruger's will see when we get to the range this week.

BEING RETIRED IS TOUGH EVERY DAY IS SATURDAY .

Reactions: FO876 and GTMANN
Here’s a video I made yesterday at 100yards shooting an 11” gong. He group averaged 2” with a couple fliers due to an 11Mph wind. Apologies for the video being upside down at the end.

Here’s a video I made yesterday at 100yards shooting an 11” gong. He group averaged 2” with a couple fliers due to an 11Mph wind. Apologies for the video being upside down at the end.

Nice ... but 11mph??? Maybe on a hill under a venturi effect, or a singular gust, not shown in camera .. but not at all across the board

Nice ... but 11mph??? Maybe on a hill under a venturi effect, or a singular gust, not shown in camera .. but not at all across the board

That’s what my phones weather app stated, most likely that was what it could of been up too at a certain point that day. The range is pretty sheltered at most times with the trees on the right side.

Reactions: Diver160651
Well just got off the phone with RUGER C.S .
Told them i have a RPR With mag problems and extraction .
They said NO PROBLEM .
We will send you a new CHASSIS .
How about them APPLES .

Took the gun apart for a good cleaning .
When i looked at the mag area things were real sloppy .
My 77/22 ,10/22 and charger are aluminum .
RPR is same as the chassis with no support .
Couple of questions:
Is this a one for one chassis swap or are they just giving you a new one?
Shooting wise how dose your rifle perform otherwise?

Told them the problems i was having .
Remember the chassis has the block that beds the action and the mag position.
As preform it is a great gun .
They sent me a new chassis you must use all your parts to complete assembly .

Told them the problems i was having .
Remember the chassis has the block that beds the action and the mag position.
As preform it is a great gun .
They sent me a new chassis you must use all your parts to complete assembly .
Did they want the old chassis back; or do you get to keep it?

IT'S YOURS TO KEEP .
I had to modify the extractor to make it reliable

What ammo were you using ?

Just took the plunge and picked up one of these rifles. Tore it apart and cleaned everything up. Cleaned up all the rough machining. Cleaned up the crown. About to start breaking the rifle in. Plan to get about 500 rounds through it before I start shooting for groups.

Reactions: Hardpan and mrt949
Has anyone found a 0 moa mount ?
The 30 moa is great but i have rings that are 20 moa from other scopes

What scope mounts / rings is everyone using for a 50mm diameter objective / 30mm tube scope ?
My rifle came in yesterday and I need to order some rings or a mount.

Has anyone found a 0 moa mount ?
The 30 moa is great but i have rings that are 20 moa from other scopes

Talked to Ruger in Nc yesterday, long story short , they have one coming my way. Ruger customer service ROCKS! Extremely pleasant and very professional, customer and brand appear to be their focus. This was my first Ruger but now looking to grow the family.

Reactions: mrt949