• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Rugged Obsidian 45 ordered....mistake?

lennyo3034

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2010
USA
I just ordered a rugged obsidian 45 yesterday. Will be shot mostly with 9mm but have an HK45 I would occasionally use it on as well.

My friends that own the same suppressor tell me I’ve made a mistake because they are very loud with 9mm. I will try to go to range with them this week but they have no reason to lie.

Since I only ordered yesterday and none of the paperwork has started, I may be able to change the order. Any recommendations on a 45 suppressor that is also very quiet with 9mm subs? I don’t need anything modular.

1.5 db louder than a dedicated 9mm obsidian doesn't sound too bad to me.

2165465161.JPG

I have both an obsidian 9 and 45. I tried a test on my 9mm and while the 9mm is quieter on a 9, the 45 wasn't bad. I wouldn't fret over it, you can still shoot a 45 which is really nice to have. Save up and get a 9mm when funds allow cause you'll love that too. I guess it depends what is important to you, more calibers or ultimate quiet. I love my obsidians and plan to get more.

Reactions: lennyo3034
This is a fantastic can and a gold standard. No, it’s not Hollywood quiet. Use the appropriate ammo and have realistic expectations.

Reactions: JohnCarter17
It’s my only 9mm/45 can. Honestly didn’t think it sounded too loud.

Have one. Absolutely not true. Very quiet on carbines and pistolS with both end caps.
You’ll be happy I promise.

Just to be clear: they are both very happy with performance in 45 pistols. It was the performance shooting 9mm through the Obsidian 45 that they were disappointed in.

It's rated for 44 mag and 45/70 too, which is pretty sweet. Especially since it's user serviceable and therefore cast lead friendly.

I have the obsidian 9 and want the 45 too.
I use my 9 for PCCs, Glocks, and my 357 Henry model X (my favorite close range gun).

You'll find tons of uses for that can if you go through with it.

Reactions: lennyo3034
I’m happy with the 9mm performance out of mine. I use it on my DT54 MP5 clone and it’s great.

Suppressed 9mm pistols need the right loads, as lots of 9mms go supersonic.

I prefer vv n320 or titegroup with 147s.
Nice, quiet load.

It's rated for 44 mag and 45/70 too, which is pretty sweet. Especially since it's user serviceable and therefore cast lead friendly.

I have the obsidian 9 and want the 45 too.
I use my 9 for PCCs, Glocks, and my 357 Henry model X (my favorite close range gun).

You'll find tons of uses for that can if you go through with it.
That’s a good point. My county is allowing straight walled rifle cartridges for hunting so that would work nicely. My other rifle cans are 5.56 and .308.

I use mine on 9mm pistols and a carbine and it sounds good (well the carbine has a lot of port pop, but thats not the cans fault). It also sounds very good on my Ruger 77/44 with subs. Do some searches on meter tests with the Obsidian 45 and other pistol cans, as someone above said, it's a little louder than 9mm cans on 9mm hosts, but the difference isn't very big.

LOL Ive been running a Rugged Obsidian 45 since it was released. I have 3 buddies that all run an Obsidian 45 and all of us are extremely happy. My 9mm subs are stupid quite and most that hear them for the first time compare them to 22LR subsonic. I shoot 9mm out of a G19, P229 and AR9. Stupid quite. IDK what your buddies are talking about but stupid quite here.

Heres my son shoot the Obsidian 45 on my AR9 with subs... Video never does it justice but you can barely hear the gun, just hear the bullet hitting the steel.

Here it is on my G19 letting some random guy at the range shoot it in the K config with subs.

Thanks. I ended up keeping the order. If it’s not to my liking, I’ll order a dedicated 9mm suppressor.

As an update, I had a conjugal visit with obsidian. Met a friend at range with TiRant 9.

Obsidian has 45 end cap on it still so I was not expecting it to be as quiet as TiRant. Not sure how much difference it will make.

Was not even close. TiRant was way way quieter. Ammo used was 147 grain handloads and 147 freedom hush. Both subsonic.

Plan is to keep the obsidian for PCC or something like a 350 legend and then a dedicated 9mm can. Does not have to be TiRant but definitely strictly 9mm.

Shooting .45 out of a 9mm can doesn’t work very well. So if you want to shoot .45 get a .45 can. It will also allow you to shoot 9mm. You can get a dedicated 9mm can later if you feel you still need it.

The drawback to the .45 Obsidian is it is bigger than the 9mm version.

I have an Obsidian .45 and think it is one of the best pistol cans. I don’t feel the need to get the 9mm version.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
No pics of the can (will post later), but shot my Obsidian 45 alongside my old AAC TiRant 45 today and loved it!

if anything, it’s a bit quieter than the AAC…and that’s saying a lot! The TiRant 45 is one of the best designs out there for pistol rounds. The baffle stacks look similar, so no surprise they sound similar too.

Shot it off a pistol with the regular thread-on piston, and also on a 3-lug mount on my 45 caliber PCC with a 10.5” barrel. Worked great in that role too!

8B406F2A-7722-43C2-B19F-456DF7A6DAAE.jpeg

ignore all the holes around there on the back target…was zeroing in a new optic, and used several different POAs as I walked the POI to the target.

i think the rugged obsidian is the best pistol suppressor <currently> out there

FIFY

as mentioned above, I still think my old AAC is the best one I’ve ever shot, but of the cans currently in the market, 1000% concur. I love my .22 cans, and my Odessa, as well as a (second gen) Wolfman Ti 9mm can, but that Rugged Obsidian is the best for noise reduction so far.

The Wolfman is probably my most versatile can…use it on everything 9mm on down, but the Obsidian just kills it in the pistol suppression role.

Edit: The “pistol“ can collection:

FEC3FC1F-5653-4449-B112-DDE8BE601973.jpeg

I put the word “pistol” in quotes, because almost all of them except for the .45s also see a lot of use on rifles; with solid spacers in place of the piston springs (unless using a tri-lug mount) of course.

Last edited:
I've got both a Obsidian 9 and 45 inbound as soon as my SOT kicks in (July 1st). A side-by-side comparison should happen shortly thereafter.

With regards to ammo, I've found that some of the factory 147gr loads will go supersonic, even from the 4.25" barrel of my 509C. It's kinda weird when it's only happening with a few rounds per magazine - pop, pop, pop, CRACK.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
I've got both a Obsidian 9 and 45 inbound as soon as my SOT kicks in (July 1st). A side-by-side comparison should happen shortly thereafter.

Pewscience comparison between the rugged obsidian 45 and cgs mod 9 is interesting.

Shows that to the shooter at ear the obsidian is quieter due to less port pop.

Reactions: BigBlastin300win