• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Safran/ Vectronix Terrapin-X *** Update***

I was going to get a Terrapin X but the more I looked into it the more it seems it is really a Leica with different software. I would rather pay $1000 more and have a real rangefinder like the real vectronix. Ranging a deer at 2000 plus yards is child's play for the real McCoy. I bet this Terrapin X isn't going to do that. Leica still make great rangefinders but they are no Vectronix .Personally I think Vectronix is making a mistake here unless it ranges at least as good as the original terrapin and it doesn't sound like it is even in the same league when it comes to ranging. First, an etched reticle is a must for ranging distant targets.Big fat circles or squares are practically useless trying to range coyotes at 1000 yards. This is why I bought Vectronix in the first place.They also under promised and over delivered big time which is what I loved about my vectronix. They claimed 3000 meters for the model I had and it would do over 6000 meters with ease. Maybe I am wrong but I am very skeptical at this point.

Last edited:
I was going to get a Terrapin X but the more I looked into it the more it seems it is really a Leica with different software. I would rather pay $1000 more and have a real rangefinder like the real vectronix. Ranging a deer at 2000 plus yards is child's play for the real McCoy. I bet this Terrapin X isn't going to do that. Leica still make great rangefinders but they are no Vectronix .Personally I think Vectronix is making a mistake here unless it ranges at least as good as the original terrapin and it doesn't sound like it is even in the same league when it comes to ranging. First, an etched reticle is a must for ranging distant targets.Big fat circles or squares are practically useless trying to range coyotes at 1000 yards. This is why I bought Vectronix in the first place.They also under promised and over delivered big time which is what I loved about my vectronix. They claimed 3000 meters for the model I had and it would do over 6000 meters with ease. Maybe I am wrong but I am very skeptical at this point.

Unless I read it wrong, according to Frank's initial review it seems to be on par with the original Terrapin as far as ranging capability. Other than not having an etched reticle how is it not "a real vectronix"? I was skeptical until I read Frank's review which points to the fact that it ranges as well as the old Terrapin and has new features such as bluetooth as well as more magnification than the original. No Leica that I am aware of ranges anywhere to close to the original Terrapin.

Last edited:
Reactions: SRSDriver
Unless I read it wrong, according to Frank's initial review it seems to be on par with the original Terrapin as far as ranging capability. Other than not having an etched reticle how is it not "a real vectronix"? I was skeptical until I read Frank's review which points to the fact that it ranges as well as the old Terrapin and has new features such as bluetooth as well as more magnification than the original. No Leica that I am aware of ranges anywhere to close to the original Terrapin.

It's made in the Leica factory using (I don't know how many) Leica parts and built to Safran's specs. That's what the article about it said that I read. Said that's how the cost is kept down. Also says they retained their design and quality. I'm guessing they saw their factory and what they had available regarding parts and went from there. I bet teaming up was profitable for both of them. If it makes a quality, no-shit 3000y LRF for $1800 then hey, cool, because usually cost per meter is $1 on long range models.

Where does it go for repair though, does it go to Leica or Safran/Vectronix?

Thanks, I learn something new here every day...

Does the Garmin Foretrex 701 interface with the TerrapinX also? I know you need a temperature sensor for it to get the temp automatically, so wondering if the terrapinX can interface directly to it.

Reactions: skierhs
I have been trying it will connect to Bike stuff, Heartbeat monitor, but I cannot find a way to connect the Terrapin X at least nothing is obviously showing up that I can connect it.

I am in the "Connect" dialog and been trying most of the morning, nothing

I may write them, but so far, no

Was anybody else under the assumption that this new TerrapinX had ballistic software built into it and was a self-contained unit like the Sig Kilo2400 or the G7 and could provide a firing solution without the need of a Kestrel being connected to it? I am not knocking it I just didn’t realize it wasn’t. Frank just schooled me on it via YouTube.

Was anybody else under the assumption that this new TerrapinX had ballistic software built into it and was a self-contained unit like the Sig Kilo2400 or the G7 and could provide a firing solution without the need of a Kestrel being connected to it? I am not knocking it I just didn’t realize it wasn’t. Frank just schooled me on it via YouTube.

I always knew it was only an LRF. Their website was pretty clear relative to the features and capabilities

I have been trying it will connect to Bike stuff, Heartbeat monitor, but I cannot find a way to connect the Terrapin X at least nothing is obviously showing up that I can connect it.

I am in the "Connect" dialog and been trying most of the morning, nothing

I may write them, but so far, no

We need to ask Doc ... as TerrapinX to the Garmin would be great.

As of today's state of ballistic technology and tech price points....I personally would rather have the two functions of solver and laser in two separate devices.

The tech moves too quickly for both, you find yourself with an obsolete laser/solver before it's time, due to the design/function compromises that are made to integrate both functions in one device.

Ask yourself....Where will laser/ballistic solver tech likely be in 5 years?

Reactions: gunlove
As of today's state of ballistic technology and tech price points....I personally would rather have the two functions of solver and laser in two separate devices.

The tech moves too quickly for both, you find yourself with an obsolete laser/solver before it's time, due to the design/function compromises that are made to integrate both functions in one device.

Ask yourself....Where will laser/ballistic solver tech likely be in 5 years?
Yea I hear what you’re saying that’s how I feel about the Revic scope, but I do like the 2400 being able to instantly give me a firing solution in real time without having to go to my Kestrel and then manually input the range. Sometimes seconds do count when your shooting a (insert trophy game animal here) and not a static target that is going to give you all the time you want. For me I personally don’t need a LRF that will range to the moon and back.

Last edited:
Yea I hear what you’re saying that’s how I feel about the Revic scope, but I do like the 2400 being able to instantly give me a firing solution in real time without having to go to my Kestrel and then manually input the range. Sometimes seconds do count when your shooting a (insert trophy game animal here) and not a static target that is going to give you all the time you want. For me I personally don’t need a LRF that will range to the moon and back.

? I like my SK2400AB for exactly what your talking about. After putting wind in it, I still feel like the Tubbs reticle system with a proficient shooter is about the quickest system out there. His baboon hunt videos are worth looking up if you haven't seen them.

Sorry for the derail, back to original thread.

Frank I hope you get the chance to test it on everyday objects just to see how far the X will Go, ?

It's made in the Leica factory using (I don't know how many) Leica parts and built to Safran's specs. That's what the article about it said that I read. Said that's how the cost is kept down. Also says they retained their design and quality. I'm guessing they saw their factory and what they had available regarding parts and went from there. I bet teaming up was profitable for both of them. If it makes a quality, no-shit 3000y LRF for $1800 then hey, cool, because usually cost per meter is $1 on long range models.

Where does it go for repair though, does it go to Leica or Safran/Vectronix?

Guys - all repairs etc will come directly to us -- Terp-X WARRANTY

Guys - all repairs etc will come directly to us -- Terp-X WARRANTY

Thanks Jason @jb1000br

Here's a tougher question, not meant to be argumentative, but it needs asking, because EuroOptic will be in the middle of it all.

For example sake, say the BT module no longer connects to a Kestrel or an app. It's within the 36 month period, and I've registered via the app.

I send you my faulty device...now what happens?

Are there "spares"? Does it cross the pond to get repaired? Is the customer's faulty device swapped for a functional one? What should the customers expectation be in terms of timing for turnaround/repair in the above scenario?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Thanks Jason @jb1000br

Here's a tougher question, not meant to be argumentative, but it needs asking, because EuroOptic will be in the middle of it all.

For example sake, say the BT module no longer connects to a Kestrel or an app. It's within the 36 month period, and I've registered via the app.

I send you my faulty device...now what happens?

Are there "spares"? Does it cross the pond to get repaired? Is the customer's faulty device swapped for a functional one? What should the customers expectation be in terms of timing for turnaround/repair in the above scenario?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Popcorn in hand. Suspect answer may differ from what I was told when pre-ordering. Also Frank said we might be behind military . I am surprised to see that this unit meets criteria for use by the Military? i suspect that they will continue to get the premium models.

Popcorn in hand. Suspect answer may differ from what I was told when pre-ordering. Also Frank said we might be behind military . I am surprised to see that this unit meets criteria for use by the Military? i suspect that they will continue to get the premium models.
I don't think he meant the Terrapin-X necessarily meets the criteria for use by the military, but rather that most resources when it comes to repairing/fixing would be devoted to military units first.

Finnaccuracy guys did some practical sized target testing and it seems Terrapin-X meets the expectations

https://finnaccuracy.com/blogs/fa-news/terrapinx-premiere-performance-review
Damn Finns. They already have Nokia. Now they have they have the Vectronix X before us!

That seems like respectable performance. I'm certainly not poo-poo'ing the VX, but does anyone feel like that write-up shows it not quite meeting the original Terrapin's performance? If so, hopefully the field conditions played a role. Or am I just inflating the original to mythical status?

Last edited:
Reactions: gunlove
Damn Finns. They already have Nokia. Now they have they have the Vectronix X before us!

That seems like respectable performance. I'm certainly not poo-poo'ing the VX, but does anyone feel like that write-up shows it not quite meeting the original Terrapin's performance? If so, hopefully the field conditions played a role. Or am I just inflated the original to mythical status?
Well it’s half the price of the original sooooo there is that. So far it seems to meet expectations. Time will tell but I’ll wait a year and see what issues pop up before jumping in the bandwagon.

Reactions: Stpilot12
Finnaccuracy used small targets so preformance is still realy great.

Last edited:
Well it’s half the price of the original sooooo there is that. So far it seems to meet expectations. Time will tell but I’ll wait a year and see what issues pop up before jumping in the bandwagon.
It's roughly the same price. You could usually pick up the original for around $1800; $2k if you didn't shop around.

Finn accuracy used small targets so preformance is still realy great.
I was thinking about the treelines, but I agree about the reflecitve targets. It's good, no doubt, but I feel like my older Terrapin could do a little better. Frank says the two are comparable, so that's encouraging. I'm sure the side-by-side tests will start to roll in once EuroOptic starts shipping.

Lets just say i consider FinnAccuracy more unbiased even tought they are retailing the stuff .

Have seen far to much sales pitch like hype accompanying most new product presentations/tests on SH .

Last edited:
My terrapin would range anything at 2km. Every time. And most things at 3km. Some things at 4km.

Hoping this outperforms the Finnaccuracy review.

Reactions: secondofangle2
Spent the weekend with the Terrapin X at the SHTC in Colville, Report to follow, hit up the Everyday Sniper Podcast for details sooner

edb286e6-38c6-4929-b159-b19ce0c1c9a8.JPG

I'm guessing enough to wager that you guys are going to be disappointed in the ranging of this thing.

Is it coincidence that the new Leica 2700 has the same advertised range as the X, and they admittedly use some amount of Leica internals?

I can tell you the Leica 2700 unit sucks compared to a Terrapin. It would not range consistently a sloping hill in past 1 mile. Stop it with the barns and windmills. If you're shooting at a plate or a deer or whatever, you need to be able to range, if not the object itself, the ground around it if it is on a sloping terrain. I can just about guarandamntee that side by side, this new Terrapin is not like an old terrapin.

As the guy above said his Real Terrapin would range to 3000 over and over and over. Until some consistent 3000 yard readings from the X, I'm not buying it. Literally and figuratively.

This is from the original Terrapin spec sheet:

Range capability 20 m to > 2400 m
(1.8 km on NATO target)

Original Terrapin outperformed it's stated spec by a long shot. At least the one I had would, and that seems to be the norm.

If the Terrapin X will deliver on the 2000m performance spec, I think it will still out range anything else on the market in the price range. It might not be quite as good as the original, but still very good for the price. I'm eager to read Lowlight's updated report.

Ya,

I ranged a house a 3200 yards at MHSA, so it can hit a House, but that is not what we are talking about

If you range at night i am sure you can get it to range farther

What we need now is a Terrapin X binocular.

This is from the original Terrapin spec sheet:

Range capability 20 m to > 2400 m
(1.8 km on NATO target)

What's the size of a "NATO target"?

From the new Terrapin X spec sheet:
"Range Capability" 20m to 3,000m
"Specified Performance" 2,000m at 2.4m x 2.2m target... detection probability >90%

What's the size of a "NATO target"?

From the new Terrapin X spec sheet:
"Range Capability" 20m to 3,000m
"Specified Performance" 2,000m at 2.4m x 2.2m target... detection probability >90%

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's 2.3m x 2.3m.

I'm sure the "X" is a great rangefinder. That is not my concern.

My concern is: Some of us in the ELR community still have PLRF5 PLRF10 PLRF15 etc. We are wondering if we should dump our "old" units onto the used for sale market to get the new model. Before we do that, if we have opportunities to routinely shoot past 2000 yards, we want to know if the "X" model is a suitable replacement for what we have, as the "old" models will get increasingly hard to replace if we make a mistake by selling it.

I am *very* worried that if we expect performance in the 2000-3000 yard range that is equal to the performance of our "older" PLRF units, that we will *not* be satisfied with the "X" model.

Thus I'm holding on to my PLRF15 until the Jury returns a verdict.

I think I know what that verdict is going to be.

Reactions: DaCoach
So "NATO E-Type Silhouette"

google says there are a shit ton of "NATO" standard targets

NATO target most often referenced in regards to optics and LRFs measures 2.3x2.3m , while following is writen on their tech sheet , 2.4x2.2m

Specified performance :
2,000m at 2.4m×2.2m
target visibility: 30km
albedo: 0.6

detection probability >90%

If the new X performs well at 2-3K the older units will be toast for re-sale value.

If the X does not perform on the same level as the 10/15’s the old units will gain in value for the ELR market.

I would expect you will keep your 15 and it will perform superbly for years to come. I had 2 and they were fabulous.

I sold my PLRF’s because I would like superb ranging ability with the BT AB interface 500-1500 yards and expect my new X to do just that.

I understand that there will be more Vectronix critics pouring out wrath upon these rf’s but the way I view this issue of unit failure is analogous to taking a trip into the wilderness.

Regardless of how much $$ you pay for the experience you cannot recover your funds, when the trip is over, you are done. All you have are memories and the fulfillment of doing something grand that the majority have not experienced.

It is similar shooting in ELR. It is expensive. I liked what little I did successfully. I have photos and memories. In this sport using the concept of “justified expense” is irrelevant.

I cannot recover the $$ spent riding a motorcycle 130-150 mph or the 70 Mph mountain wind ripping across my body @ 10,000’ but I also will never recover from the visceral experience gained. So it is when hitting steel that you cannot even see with the naked eye.

I would not call this an ELR Laser by any stretch,

There is a reason the 10s/15s are over $3000 and this unit is $1800 we all know we get what we pay for in this space. Trying to squeeze the extra out of it will not work consistently.

This is a commercial unit and not a military crossover. The 05 or original Terrapin lost them money per unit as it was more aligned with the 10s. It was supposed to sell for $2500+, and the $1999 price tag is what killed it.

The other units were rated far better at 3k and beyond, this is rated for 2k, when you add in the light conditions you are on the edge. The benefit is the connectivity as this unit will be a connected unit solution vs a self-contained ballistic solver, in other words, their goal is to connect.

If you plan on shooting ELR stick with the other units as this is not the one for you.