• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Sako TRG 22 rebarrel

Re: Sako TRG 22 rebarrel

Haven't had to rebarrel mine (just got it in December) but as far as I have heard it is a simple barrel swap same as any other rifle. Unscrew one, screw on the other. In fact, I think there was an earlier thread on this...

My google-fu is working hard tonight. A little above halfway down the page.

APA rebarrel of TRG

Give Jered at APA a call. He can give you the details.

Josh

Thanks for the info MinorDamage. I read the previous post. I have a 22 with 0 rounds. Thinking crazy thoughts about barreling it in a 260 ackley improved.

Not sure, but I think Terry Cross was shooting the 260AI at one time and is now back at it with a straight 260. Might get you thinking...

Josh

I.D.F.A here on the Hide had GAP rebarrel a brand new 22 in .243.

Nothing "crazy" about doing a switchbarrel on your TRG22. Crazy to limit yourself to the .260 rem when you could go .284 Winchester or maybe even 6.5x55 Ackley Improved.

Pac-Nor did a fine job for me on my TRG42. You can go much heavier barrel profile should you want the weight.

Look at the 6.5x55AI. .005" shorter case than the .284 case; almost 6.5/284 velocity but not a barrel burner. Lapua cases, or Norma Nice long neck. What's not to like?

toygunner,

The max OAL for the 6.5X55 is 3.150, which is a full .2" longer than mag length for the TRG-22. I would not use the 6.5X55 for this reason. The .284 can fit, but as with the 6.5X55 you will lose case capacity by putting the bullet in the case to mag length (just not as much as you will with the 6.5X55). However, the .284 will still maintain around 2900 fps. Personally, I like the .260. Plus, because the parent case is 308, you will not have to modify the magazine to feed the new round properly. By the same token, the 284 is looking quite interesting.

Link

Josh

I can only tell you one thing go shoot it first! I bought my trg-22 last year with the intention of sending it to Jered Joplin to have it trued and rebarreled to a 6.5x47. I couldnt resist shooting it so I did. During my first trip w/ handloads for breakin and sight in the gun was shooting 1/4 moa at 100 yds. I couldne beleve it shot so well and I had not even worked up loads yet. I now have just over 1000 rounds through it and it keeps impressing me. I have had many custom guns from all builders , APA, GAP , Kelblys and more and this thing spanks them all. I would tell you how its shooting now but I dont want some of these guys bashing me and calling me a lier. Just go shoot it. By the way congradulations , you have bought the finest rifle built. Call Richard Near at Near Manfacturing for scope base and rings and muzzle brakes, they are way better than the Sako ones. I load lapua brass, federal 210 gm primers, 42g n-140, and a 168g smk at .010 off, and a 175g smk .015 off (same load). try it

Jbell I have a 42 in 338 Lapua. I would not trade it for anything. Believe it or not I have one 3" group at 1000 yds. (3 shot) with 250 lapua bullets on paper.

I am just fond of the 260 ai with 139 bullets. I will shoot it first. I'm not thrilled with a 308 for long range.

Go for it I just ment I dont have the hart to do it to mine after shooting it. Let me know who does the job and how it turns out, b/c that was my inital intent too.