• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG / TRG-S M995 Thread **Sticky??**

Question for the M995 owners. I have just ordered a McMillan A5 with their bottom metal for my M995 300WM. I have heard that you can modify a TRG-42 magazine by notching the front of it for the front release on the M995 and it will work. Has anyone done this? I want some confirmation before I ruin a $200 mag.
Also, does anyone know for sure if the Sako 75 single set trigger will fit the M995?

Silvan I did searches on the internet for a couple months before I found mine. I could not find a 26" 308. There were 338s in 27" and 308s in 20" You will probably have to buy the 26" 308 kit :-(

Silvan I did searches on the internet for a couple months before I found mine. I could not find a 26" 308. There were 338s in 27" and 308s in 20" You will probably have to buy the 26" 308 kit :-(

I was told the same. I have to buy a 26" barrel separately.

Hello fellow TRG guys. I am hoping some of you can help me out with this. I currently have a TRG42 in 300 WM but would like to make this into a switch barrel rifle. I am looking at switching to 338 Lapua but know that I would need a barrel, bolt body, and mags. I think I would also need all the parts for the bolt body. Would I be better off with a 338 Edge or maybe 338 RUM and use the same bolt? Would I then need a 338 Lapua magazine? How about going the other way as well? Something else with a .540 case head size like a 223 WSSM?

Have you considered 7MM/300? Same bolt and magazine. ULR capable.
**EDIT** Before I make suggestions, I should ask what you will use it for. Paper, critters or both?

Last edited:
I haven't looked at the 7/300. I will check it out. I will be using it for both critters and target shooting. I want something to shoot steel a little further than my 300WM. Something on par with the 338LM. Also looking at something cheaper to shoot at 600yds. but use my same rifle. (Hence switching barrels) as I can shoot right off my deck to 600. I may end up just getting another rifle for that though.

Hey guys we just posted up an interesting TRG article that will entertain and inform you as TRG aficionados (we hope). It's an in depth analysis of the TRG in the same vein as, "The Bolt Action" by Stuart Otteson. It is pretty detailed. If we are missing anything, certainly let me know. If you go here: https://kineticresearchgroup.com/intel/ and click on, "KRG Published Resources", you will see it.

I hope you guys like it. The research for this article is one thing that helped in the development of our new SOTIC rifle. Anyway, let me know if you have feedback. Thank you,
Justin

Any recommendations for a case? Ive been looking for a nice hard case for my trg 22 but cant really decide what i want. Any suggestions?

Hey guys we just posted up an interesting TRG article that will entertain and inform you as TRG aficionados (we hope). It's an in depth analysis of the TRG in the same vein as, "The Bolt Action" by Stuart Otteson. It is pretty detailed. If we are missing anything, certainly let me know. If you go here: https://kineticresearchgroup.com/intel/ and click on, "KRG Published Resources", you will see it.

I hope you guys like it. The research for this article is one thing that helped in the development of our new SOTIC rifle. Anyway, let me know if you have feedback. Thank you,
Justin
Great article!! Thanks a lot, Justin, and KRG team.

michiman I am going through the same decision process. I have found 3 possibilities: Explorer Of Italy case at EuroOptic, not ideal and kind of expensive. Sako Transit Case, not available in this country but you could order it through Finnaccuracy. Last a Storm 3300 with custom foam cut. I found a local place that will cut foam for me. I also found a place on the Internet. Google Georgia custom sase Sako TRG and look at images. Hope this helps.

Hello

As we are talking TRG; I have a TRG 42 338LM and was contemplating installing the KRG folding stock. Anyone has one and what are your impressions, solid construction, comfortable, adjustments?

Tango down, I have the KRG folder on my TRG 42. I have yet to shoot the rifle with it attached but I will say it is a very nice piece. The lockup is great as are the adjustments.. can't really comment on how comfortable it is to shoot other than that is has a nice recoil pad on it.

I heard that Sako is going to release M10 in 260Rem during Shot Show 2018. I will be there and hope can check the rumors.

Is the M995 and TRG-S and TRG42/22 actions any different from each other?? Any similarities/differences with those vs the Sako 75 and 85 actions?

Is the M995 and TRG-S and TRG42/22 actions any different from each other?? Any similarities/differences with those vs the Sako 75 and 85 actions?

The TRG-S (M995) is the same action as the TRG-42. The TRG-42 bolt fits in the TRG-S and the TRG-S bolt fits in the TRG-42. The TRG-22 is short action so the bolt won't fit in either the TRG-S or TRG-42.

The only difference I see between my TRG-S in 6.5x55 and TRG-42 in 338LM action is that the TRG-42 is a closed receiver with TRG dovetail for the scope. The TRG-S is an open receiver with traditional Sako rifle TRG dovetails that works with optilock rings.

In fact, the TRG-S magazines are identical at the feed lips. The only difference is that the TRG-S mags are shorter holding only 3-5 rounds of whatever it is chambered in. Plus, the magazine catch is on the front vs. the TRG-42 magazines where the hole for the magazine catch is at the rear. In theory, you could modify a TRG-42 magazine and it would fit the TRG-S but I'm not sure why you'd want to do that unless you really wanted the capacity.

These actions are much different than the Sako 75 and 85 actions. I do not have as much experience with the 785/85, but I don't think the TRG parts would fit in them based on what I've seen first hand.

The TRG is a very accurate and strong action. Mine is in 6.5x55 and while a little heavy for such a light caliber, it's just as accurate as my full size and much heavier TRGs. Hope that helps.

Here are some info and pictures of my TRG. I just rebarreled it to 6.5 Creedmoor, with a 26” 1:8 Bartlein medium palma. I have made about 5 laminated riflestocks now, and this is my latest. Baltic birch core with outer layers of zebrawood. Still uses the TRG chassis and trigger, and the stock serves as the magwell.

The last two pictures show initial load development, Lapua brass neck turned to .014”, H4350, CCI450, Nosler RDF 140, 2.885 OAL. 42.4gr looks very promising.

Attachments

• photo82316.jpg
    photo82316.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 191
  • photo82314.jpg
    photo82314.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 148
  • photo82313.jpg
    photo82313.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 124
  • photo82317.jpg
    photo82317.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 149
Reactions: Genin
Why does Sako insist on making the 260 Remington with a 20-inch barrel? Drives me insane. I love my 42 and would own a 22 in a heartbeat. I just can not get over the 20-inch barrel.

My TRG in 308 with TBAC 30BA suppressor, NXS in Spuhr 24 MOA mount and BT mono pod. Still my favorite long range rifle.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/m5zLQ7x.jpg?1"}[/IMG2]

Wow- what a gem! Can you enlighten us on the paint job (who did it and what pattern)? Really nice

Wow- what a gem! Can you enlighten us on the paint job (who did it and what pattern)? Really nice

Thanks, I bought the rifle from EuroOptic and they called the pattern "Digital Woodland", if I recall correctly they told me someone local to them painted it.

image_83727.jpg
Finally! Mine is ready.
TRG 22 folder,
6.5 Creedmoor, 26/5R/8 Bartlein in the TRG contour. Many thanks to West Texas Ordnance.

Last edited:
Fits perfectly 40 inch drag bag
A scope will be the Atacr f1 5-25x56 Mil-C.

image_83728.jpg

Last edited:
M995 in .300 Win Mag owner here. What are the realistic stock options out there for both factory barrel and a new heavier match barrel?

Here’s my TRG and my TRG-S. The TRG-22 is a 6.5x47. It has the KRG backbone and spigot. This is its 2d 6.5 barrel and this is a Hawk Hill installed by PVA. I got it several years ago as part of a special order run that EuroOptics did. The original TRG mags didn’t work with the short 6.5x47 and I got a lot of nose dives. I got the KRG AI mag backbone when they were still making it and it has run just fine since. It is over 16# but balances great.

The TRG-S is a 338WM. It uses either a modified TRG-42 mag or the original TRG-S mags. It has a McM Game Scout stock and a Bartlein barrel. All the ‘Smith work on it was done by Crescent Customs.

I had this paint job done by a friend last year.

Attachments

• photo85845.jpg
    photo85845.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 245
Very nice rigs, TRG65! I will get this next week, .308 from a fellow SH member - never fired, 2 mags scope/spuhr/spigot/pic rail on the bottom, whole enchilada.

C4304257-7835-4B8E-8A11-3884E3D899D0.jpeg

Attachments

• 9C6D68A5-3EF4-4572-93B1-49ED438F9D5B.jpeg
    9C6D68A5-3EF4-4572-93B1-49ED438F9D5B.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Reactions: Genin
I don't know how long I can hold myself from buying a Cadex strike stock for my TRG-42.
I really don't need one
Help

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The original TRG mags didn’t work with the short 6.5x47 and I got a lot of nose dives. I got the KRG AI mag backbone when they were still making it and it has run just fine since. It is over 16# but balances great.

This has got me worried. I am awaiting delivery of my TRG22 in 6.5X47. I just hope I don’t have the same issues.

Every once in a while the KRG AI conversion backbones come up for sale. I’d recommend grabbing one if you get a chance. I’ve actually thought about having it rechambered to 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 Addiction just to get away from the short 6.5x47 in that gun when I get my next barrel. I’ve met guys with 6.5 Creedmoor and 260 TRGs, they seem to run just fine. I don’t know anyone else that has run the 6.5x47. So I don’t know if it’s just my gun or a quirk of the geometry. I have the same problem if I run an AI mag that doesn’t have the front spacer.

I don't know how long I can hold myself from buying a Cadex strike stock for my TRG-42.
I really don't need one
Help

This ... is an issue I am dealing with as well!

I really don't need one
Help

You don't need it :) lol.
Factory folding stock and ITRS M08 will do the same job.

I will get this next week, .308 from a fellow SH member - never fired, 2 mags scope/spuhr/spigot/pic rail on the bottom, whole enchilada.

Congrats. Welcome to the club!
P.S. I saw that adv on the forum. Good deal and sweet price for this set.

Congrats. Welcome to the club!
P.S. I saw that adv on the forum. Good deal and sweet price for this set.

Thanks! I am looking forward to getting it this week. I really like the SAKO green.

Planning on making it a fairly lightweight setup, so will put a smaller, lighter scope on it and sell the NF ATACR and SPUHR

Is the KRG folder a good setup? Heavy?

I load for my 300 Norma and 338 Lapua, but will most likely begin with factory ammo on this one. I welcome any advice!

Thanks! I am looking forward to getting it this week. I really like the SAKO green.

Planning on making it a fairly lightweight setup, so will put a smaller, lighter scope on it and sell the NF ATACR and SPUHR

Is the KRG folder a good setup? Heavy?

I load for my 300 Norma and 338 Lapua, but will most likely begin with factory ammo on this one. I welcome any advice!

A factory buttstock weighs 32.9oz, the folding KRG stock - 47oz. Yes, KRG’s is good and less expensive than a factory f/s.

Just picked this gem up. Sako trg with 24" broughton 260 barrel. Originally from eurooptic who sent them to APA for rebarrel. She's used a little bit, but I'm excited! Does anyone else have one?

I also have a 20" 308 barrel that came with it. Doubt I will keep it.

Attachments

• IMG_2293.JPG
    IMG_2293.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_2294.JPG
    IMG_2294.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 136
You don't need it :) lol.
Factory folding stock and ITRS M08 will do the same job.
I think that a Factory stock and ITRS08 will cost the same as a Cadex stock and won't be as sexy

Do you still have the ability to adjust the cheek piece laterally?

Someone was selling the long version (M-08)of the ITRS rail. I can't seem to find it under accessories anymore. Not sure if it sold. Anyone have G2?

20180116_102644.jpg20180116_102657.jpg 20180114_114752.jpg

Took a magazine with 10 rounds and did break-in of a new barrel last Sunday, as well as adjusted a scope. So, not too bad for the first time, 2 groups .44 MOA and .48 MOA (Hornady ELD-X 140 gr).

Last edited:
Someone was selling the long version (M-08)of the ITRS rail. I can't seem to find it under accessories anymore. Not sure if it sold. Anyone have G2?

I was selling. Yes, it's gone.

Sako TRG 42 338LM, NF NXS 5.5X22X56 NPR2 Scope

Reloading

Last edited: