• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG / TRG-S M995 Thread **Sticky??**

I did a couple tweaks to the -22. First some paint, Custom Coatings did a great job. Second and more important I put in an adjustable cheekpiece made by Terje. I cannot recommend his work enough. He did an awesome job. Being able to dial in the cheekpiece height really made a difference to my consistency. I still need to have it painted.

Attachments

• photo60439.jpg
    photo60439.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 173
  • photo60440.jpg
    photo60440.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 174
  • photo60441.jpg
    photo60441.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Reactions: lambsey
I also finally got around to doing some load development. Holy S**** Short Action Customs did a great job on the barrel and action truing. It LOVES 123 Scenars with 42.6 grains of H4350. The 2 fliers were me not the rifle. Also worked up a load with Berger 140 VLDs with 42.4 grains of H4350. CCI BR2 primers and Norma brass in both. 123s

Attachments

• photo60442.jpg
    photo60442.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 84
  • photo60443.jpg
    photo60443.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 93
M10 Range report 2.
I took it out with the 26" .308 barrel. I wanted to get the ergonomics right and do some load development. I shot bipod/bench at 100 and 200 yards.

It took some tinkering to get the ergo stuff worked out. With the TRG I could loosten the buttplate adjustments and see where my body wanted things.

After a few hours on the gun the cheekpiece and buttplate are a bit less comfortable than the TRG.

Initially I was not seeing the accuracy I was expecting. Once I dialed in the ergo stuff the groups tightened up. (Picture attached, fliers are on me.)

The Federal 7.62 (MK319) was the most accurate factory ammo. It clocked at 2770 with a SD of 12.2.

The magic recipe for handloads is Lapua brass, CCI BR2s, 43.4 grains of Varget and Berger 185 Juggernauts. I seated long, about 006 from the lands. COAL was 2.940. Amazingly this still fit in the magazine (just barely) and fed fine. Sako did a great job with the M10 mags. Almost worth the price. ;-)
I clocked the bullets at 2740 with an SD of 18.3. There were no pressure signs.
I want to re-check the crono numbers next time I go out.

I took the barrel off and reinstalled it a couple times. It gave me a bit less than 1 MOA POI shift. This was repeatable.

I tested the 338 barrel on a previous trip. It was amazingly comfortable to shoot. Switching between 308 and 338 gave me a 4 moa POI shift. That was repeatable. This seems like a lot.
I cleaned the barrel extension thoroughly. I am hoping that will reduce the shift. I'll post a follow up after I test.

LRI is making barrels for the M10 so oddball calibers are a possibility.

All in all, I really like the M10.

Attachments

• photo63213.jpg
    photo63213.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 58
TRG-42 in 338. Schmidt & Bender, TBAC 338 Ultra.

Attachments

• photo63288.jpg
    photo63288.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 204
  • photo63289.jpg
    photo63289.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Reactions: 81sfo
cheekpiece is just a sleeping pad and gorilla tape. Made a good cheek weld without having to remove cheekpiece to get the bolt out. Fore end is just a homemade skid plate made out of thin foam gorilla tape and velcro. it looks ghetto but it works. Rifle has a ton of rounds through it but it still shoots.

Joined the 1,000 yd club a few days ago with my 22 in .308

Lased range was 998 w/ 11 degrees of upslope. Kestrel called peak wind of 2 mph in direction of fire. Elevation from shooting location is 8500 ft.

Calculated holdover was 27.68 MOA for elevation and 1.3 MOA for wind. Actual holdover was 25 MOA based on previous shots at 615 and 900. Couldn't be bothered with wind.

Pushing 178 ELD-M in 4th firing Lapua with Fed 210 primer and 44.1 of Varget

Rifle: post-13 TRG 22 in .308 26" barrel with about 850 rounds down the pipe, Vortex Viper PST 4-16 in Vortex match rings, Harris and Little Bastard Break. Can't remember what the bipod adapter is.

Was aiming for slight crack in the rock face. Shot on the right is mine (pulled at last second) and left one is my fathers after I talked him into it. POA and POI were dead on for his shot.

Truthfully was not a difficult shot to make given the conditions and the always amazing quality of the TRG. Hardest part was just shooting off a rickety ass table with only a bipod and no rear rest - still was cake. 1.jpg
2.jpg
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Swadger
Side tangent since JustBC somehow has the coin for one :rolleyes: but I got to fondle a M10 at dealer in Denver the other day.

Very TRG-like rifle in its qualities to a degree. Fit and finish seemed nice, but for the money, it leaves something to be desired.

If the price wasn't so damn ridiculous on them, I would consider it. Or if a guy could get the three barrels and rifle for $9k-ish it would be reasonable I think. But $10.5 for factory rifle with single barrel and no extra goodies is a no-go in my book all day.

Super sexy rifle though ;)

A .375 CheyTac set up like the FinnAccuracy guys have going would be one serious rig though. Maybe one day.

Congrats on the 1K club.

On item 2, I got a screaming deal.

I was going to go with the AI-AXMC because of cost and aftermarket accessories.

By chance I came across a dealer with a new M10 for an insane price. It was way below list and, as it turns out, below cost.
I had never heard of this dealer so I wasn't about to buy it sight unseen.
Eurooptic will match a valid quote. I've dealt with EO for a long time, I like them, I trust them. They were willing to do the deal.

A couple days later I checked back at the other dealer. They had raised the price around $1200. I think they got their butts kicked for selling below cost.

If you want an M10 you need to be patient. There are dealers out there who can't move them because the price is so high. They are willing to take a loss.
Every once in awhile you'll find one at the right price. :)

BTW, The more I shoot the M10 the more I like it.

Some crappy pics of my TRG-22 in 6.5 Creedmoor. I will post better ones when I can. Specs:
Action trued and barreled by SAC. Bartlein 24" Sendero with spiral fluting, little bastard brake. LOP adjuster by Terje. Badger 35 MOA rail with Badger 1" rings. Flatline Ops articulated anti cant with Sniper tools Cosine indicator. Harris bipod with ARMS #32 throw lever. I can't remember the brand of fore end rail for the bipod. It is topped by an S&B PMII 5x25 with H59 reticle. It is a dream to shoot.

Nice, was this originally a stock Sako trg 22 in 6.5 creedmoor?

Does anyone know what the rear stock section weighs as a whole? Cheek piece, butt pad, the whole thing? I have a KRG folder and thinking I may ditch it for the factory stock if it shaves enough weight off the rifle.

Does anyone know what the rear stock section weighs as a whole? Cheek piece, butt pad, the whole thing? I have a KRG folder and thinking I may ditch it for the factory stock if it shaves enough weight off the rifle.

I can get you an exact weight tonight.

I made the switch to the whole KRG chassis so I've got a complete TRG stock and chassis sitting in the corner.

TRG22 W3Gen5 by X Ring, on Flickr

I did a couple tweaks to the -22. First some paint, Custom Coatings did a great job. Second and more important I put in an adjustable cheekpiece made by Terje. I cannot recommend his work enough. He did an awesome job. Being able to dial in the cheekpiece height really made a difference to my consistency. I still need to have it painted.

Nice looking 22. I bet it shoots as well as it looks!

Did you use the Custom Gun Coating in North Kansas City? Is the pattern their 3-color Standard GAP? I am thinking of doing the same.

Finally got to shoot my rifle, and oh boy is it accurate...

Im trying to lighten the trigger on it and I know the directions say to loosen the screw that is in front of the trigger but not to loosen it too much or remove it. How far can I back it out. I've included a picture of the screw so you can see how far out it is.

Attachments

• photo70934.png
    photo70934.png
    170.2 KB · Views: 62
michiman if you have the newer version of the trigger (polymer guard) there is an Allen screw that limits the amount you can back it out. If you have the older version there is no limiter. If you back it out too much it would be bad. (Might need to be sent to Beretta to be fixed.)

In theory the trigger weight for the newer trigger is between 2.9 to 5LBs. I *think* the older version is 2 to 4LBs Mine (TRG 22, old trigger and M10, new trigger) are both set at 2.2LBs.

I would recommend backing it out 1/4 turn at a time and check the weight with a trigger pull gauge. I wouldn't bring it below 2.2. If you start to feel resistance when you are backing the screw out stop.

michiman if you have the newer version of the trigger (polymer guard) there is an Allen screw that limits the amount you can back it out. If you have the older version there is no limiter. If you back it out too much it would be bad. (Might need to be sent to Beretta to be fixed.)

In theory the trigger weight for the newer trigger is between 2.9 to 5LBs. I *think* the older version is 2 to 4LBs Mine (TRG 22, old trigger and M10, new trigger) are both set at 2.2LBs.

I would recommend backing it out 1/4 turn at a time and check the weight with a trigger pull gauge. I wouldn't bring it below 2.2. If you start to feel resistance when you are backing the screw out stop.

Thanks for the response. I have a metal trigger guard but I also have an Allen screw limiter. I know the rifle is a new production as it was just released in the 6.5 creedmor caliber. So I'm not sure. I guess it could be that they've started to make the trigger guards metal again?

Or I was wrong and only the M10 has a plastic trigger guard. What weight did you dial it down to?

Unfortunately I don't have a way to measure it. It feels like it's about 2.5-2.75. A little bit heavier than my Timney trigger in my Remington and my sako 85 trigger.

I would recommend getting a trigger pull gauge. You can get a cheap one that works for about $25.00 on Amazon.

My 22 just shipped to Mark at SAC for a 6.5 Creedmoor rebarrel. Looking forward to the results. Wish I could swing the Cadex chassis but not at the moment. Will post pics when it gets home.

Got some 600 yard data on the Elk Smasher. 215 Berger Hybrids right around 2950 feet per second.

Attachments

• photo72876.jpg
    photo72876.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 80
Hello

As we are talking TRG; I have a TRG 42 338LM and was contemplating installing the KRG folding stock. Anyone has one and what are your impressions, solid construction, comfortable, adjustments?

Hello

As we are talking TRG; I have a TRG 42 338LM and was contemplating installing the KRG folding stock. Anyone has one and what are your impressions, solid construction, comfortable, adjustments?

I have one of the early models and love it. The only downside I can think of is the added weight. My folding stock takes tools to adjust, but I believe they are 100% tool less adjustable now days. They may have also reduced the bulk and weight on them as well. Lock up is solid.

I have one of the early models and love it. The only downside I can think of is the added weight. My folding stock takes tools to adjust, but I believe they are 100% tool less adjustable now days. They may have also reduced the bulk and weight on them as well. Lock up is solid.

Thanks JBM_DC; still gathering info on these.I like bulletproof systems and as both my TRG are shooters, want to make sure that system is a plus and not a PITA in a long run. I like the adjustments possibilities and the shorter signature for transportation. Wish there was a good recent video on that TRG KRG folding stock.

I had a KRG f/s and eventually replaced it on a factory TRG gen 2. I'd say that original one is better but price....even street price of used gen 2 is high.

My 22 just shipped to Mark at SAC for a 6.5 Creedmoor rebarrel. Looking forward to the results. Wish I could swing the Cadex chassis but not at the moment. Will post pics when it gets home.

Mark did an awesome job on mine. I couldn't be happier.

My first 'precision rifle' was a TRG22/308. I've owned a couple of custom rigs, and shot quite a few more, but in the end, its really hard to beat a TRG22. Here is my favorite....its a 20"308, with KRG folding buttstock. I prefer and use the ATLAS bipod, NEAR base, and it still wears a well used NF NXS-F1. It really likes the 185gr Berger juggernaut, but it still shoots Hornady 178gr BTHP's really well, and have a few thousand left to shoot up. The Wilson Combat Whisper suppressor isn't the lightest, but it is a solid can, and I have a suppressor mount for it, that matches the metric threads of the TRG. This rifle is consistently very accurate, very dependable, and for my uses so far, very durable.

Attachments

• photo74774.jpg
    photo74774.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 160

SAC turned it around remarkably quick ... here are the pics they sent over. I will repaint the stock (probably DuraCoat) as soon as I get it. Looks great to me. Thanks to Mark and Sara at SAC!

23m85Kd.jpg

ZrWl5Z1.jpg

lUtiiOd.jpg

NIfhABs.jpg

WrKyayH.jpg

EB70C3EB-C7BA-4406-A7D9-98305FAC9D83.jpeg I am likening the colour combination. I have just had my older TRG 22 barrelled in 6.5X47. I think I will copy the green. Ignore the bolt knob it was put on but the previous owner. I have the original back in place now.

This topic deserves to be a sticky. The TRG is a true classic and holds its own against any custom on the market.

Reactions: lambsey
I will repaint the stock (probably DuraCoat) as soon as I get it. Looks great to me. Thanks to Mark and Sara at SAC!

23m85Kd.jpg

ZrWl5Z1.jpg

lUtiiOd.jpg

NIfhABs.jpg

WrKyayH.jpg

Custom Gun Coatings did a great job for me on the paint. Can you post some groups for the 6.5CM? Also, what barrel specs?

I'll post groups as soon as I get it back and set up. Barrel is a Bartlein 8 twist Varmint plus 1" contour at 24 inches. SiCo brake for my can.

How's the ejection on these things? Also, if you convert to run AICS mags, do they run well or are they finicky? Would you chose one over a TL3?

The ejection is great on Sakos in general and TRGs in particular. A very common upgrade to other brands is "Sako style ejector"
To my knowledge there aren't conversion kits available for AICS mags. KRG made one for awhile but stopped. There are some chassis that may accept AICS.
If you are talking about a choice between Tikka T3 and a TRG I would say TRG hands down. They are a lot more money but are a better rifle IMHO. The two stage trigger on the TRG is fantastic.
Having said that there is nothing wrong with a T3. They are well made and accurate out of the box. They have a single stage trigger but it is pretty nice. There are a lot of aftermarket parts for Tikka available. That is not true for the TRG. You buy Sako, you use Sako.

The ejection is great on Sakos in general and TRGs in particular. A very common upgrade to other brands is "Sako style ejector"
To my knowledge there aren't conversion kits available for AICS mags. KRG made one for awhile but stopped. There are some chassis that may accept AICS.
If you are talking about a choice between Tikka T3 and a TRG I would say TRG hands down. They are a lot more money but are a better rifle IMHO. The two stage trigger on the TRG is fantastic.
Having said that there is nothing wrong with a T3. They are well made and accurate out of the box. They have a single stage trigger but it is pretty nice. There are a lot of aftermarket parts for Tikka available. That is not true for the TRG. You buy Sako, you use Sako.

Thanks. I'm referring to a bighorn TL3 though, not the Tikka. I guess at this point though I'm really just torn between the TRG and the AI AT. I don't do well with pistol grip chassis and want a hard use factory rifle so that leaves one option....

My TRG in 308 with TBAC 30BA suppressor, NXS in Spuhr 24 MOA mount and BT mono pod. Still my favorite long range rifle.

m5zLQ7x.jpg

Last edited:
Soooo, I just picked up one of the new M10s. I got a great deal that I just could not resist. It is black and I have a 26" 308 barrel and a 27" 338 barrel. I should be able to do a range report next week. I will post pics as well. My initial impressions are VERY positive. Beautiful fit and finish and of course the trigger is superb :)

Are there any other deals like you got? :)
I am looking for the coyote (frankly, any color) M10 with 26" 308 barrel and what I have found is the offer from Eurooptic for the black one with 20" barrel for $10.5k. That’s all there is on the market.
Thanks.

Last edited: