• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sako TRG / TRG-S M995 Thread **Sticky??**

^^ This...
If you are talking about the TRG then yes absolutely. The TRG-22/42 are among the best rifles you can get short of custom. Right out of the box they are perfect. I also think the TRG trigger is the best in the world.
If you are talking about the M10 that is a slightly different debate. If you want a multi caliber rifle there are pros and cons to the M10. For me it came down to the M10 or the AI AXMC. I ended up buying the M10 because I got a VERY good price break. There is a thread on it here: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/sako-trg-m10-or-ai-ax-mc-torn-between-2-lovers.6409934/

Reactions: Valdy
TRG rifles...simple, reliable and accurate.
For me, they are on the top, even over majority of custom rifles. A trigger and a bolt work perfectly.
My first one was a TRG-21, now a TRG M10 is in hands.
Highly recommended.

Reactions: Novak77
how do you like 6.5PRC?
What the barrel life do you predict?
I have a donor TRG M10 308Win barrel, thinking about 6.5PRC or 6CM.

Happy so far, the long range performance is excellent with 147ELD-M's.
I expect about a 3000rnd barrel life. I plan on cutting the chamber back 2" around 1500rnds or whenever the throat erosion gets excessive.

Reactions: Silvan
Big thanks for all of the assistance with the adjustable cheek piece! Terje was a pleasure to deal with. I started chatting with him, deal done that day, and the next day my unit arrived!! Such a huge difference getting the proper eye relief now.

ag1.JPG

Yes. My wife noticed the difference immediately, worth every penny, and the quality is amazing, and to think this is a 1 minute install. Hard to believe he makes these as a hobby and to help his fellow TRG shooters.

37D196DE-5700-4BAC-944C-58C7D53196E4.jpeg
E7684596-5E97-4D14-9AB9-F1BF41FDD889.jpeg

I have been shooting AI’s the last several years (2 AWs & most recent an AT) they are truly top shelf! But I was missing my old TRG, so I recently traded my AT to a friend for his TRG. It’s a post 2013 where my last was a pre. I think the trigger was a bit lighter on my old one (I never adjusted it), but this is 100% a TRG in all its glory. Damn I love em!!

I’ve always wanted a TRG and found a deal on a nice used one on gunbroker. It’s missing a screw for the picatinny rail, and the top buttpad screw is pulled out. Anyone have any suggestions for replacements?

Attachments

• 73431758-FA53-44CC-AD88-D59D792BC9CA.jpeg
    73431758-FA53-44CC-AD88-D59D792BC9CA.jpeg
    437 KB · Views: 136
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 135
You should try Midwest Gun works for the screws. They have a good selection of parts for TRG.
Failing that try the folks at Beretta USA and see if they can help you.
Worst case, they are regular metric screws. A good hardware store should be able to sort you out.

Reactions: Afkirby
Are the screws on the factory base socket head? They're 3.5x.6mm screws these should work, just double check the length, the screw holes go all the way through the receiver and may interfere with something if the screw is too long.

https://www.mcmaster.com/91290a304

And I believe the one for the buttplate is 6mm, not sure on the length but McMaster Carr should have any length of those you need too.

Jake

Afkirby,
It looks like the plastic that the m5 bolt on the recoilpad trust against is broken.
If so, you can either oder a new recoilpad (get the new softer one) or try to glue it on with tec7 or something similar.

Love my trg. Right now it’s chambered in 6mm creedmoor. Was able to shoot this 5 shot group at 1000 yards prone. Shame I dropped the 5th one way down. I’m still thrilled.

Attachments

• C003CE82-31ED-4C4D-9415-F29A6FE2BA9E.jpeg
    C003CE82-31ED-4C4D-9415-F29A6FE2BA9E.jpeg
    321.9 KB · Views: 211
  • 865EE054-57C6-420D-A5AB-9932C0A45635.jpeg
    865EE054-57C6-420D-A5AB-9932C0A45635.jpeg
    425.4 KB · Views: 225
Unfortunately the brake one now in 6mm doesn’t have the post for the strap. The pic was when it was still 308. If there is no air whatsoever blowing across the barrel it helped more then I thought it would. That was the only group I shot at 1000 so I’d like to see how it does on average. I typically only try to hit clay birds that far. Which is about 50% on a good day.

Took my TRG-42 in 338LM out this weekend for some shooting in South Island, New Zealand. Shot 6 out of 6 on an IPSC target at 1813 yards.

Load is 285gr Hornady running ADI 2217 at 2761fps.

My TRG-42 can do nearly one hole groups in 338LM at 100 yards. It routinely shoots sub 0.25MOA with very consistent velocity. At extended ranges it all adds up and the TRG keeps mechanical errors at a minimum out of the box with no custom work needed.

This post useless without pics.

IMG_5927.jpeg
IMG_5928.jpeg
IMG_5930.jpeg
IMG_5931.jpeg
IMG_5932.jpeg

Hey guys, anyone know if you can lighten the TRG42/M10 trigger by lightening springs or anything. They make it near unservicable and it would void the warranty I'm sure. And yeah I know the TRG triggers are near perfect. The second stage weight of 2.5-3lbs seems huge compared to my AIAX competition trigger, and I want every advantage I can get on an elr rig.

How is the strap held on the pic rail side?

I already had a rail on mine so I Drilled and tapped it for a small Allen that would fit into the loop in the strap. I don’t mind modifying parts that are removable.

Sako TRG-S M995 in 6.5 Swede took a fallow deer for me at 170 yards seated sling supported this weekend. I was helping to cull a herd on a friend's farm. Heart shot animal with 140gr SST ran about 20 yards before tipping over.

The bullet entered breaking the shoulder, pulverized the heart, and exited the other side. The 6.5 Swede is known for high sectional density so entry and exit are common even though the round has very moderate recoil. It is closest in performance to a .260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor. I had never chest shot an animal with this size round before so it was interesting to see the performance. Overall, it did the job without much fanfare or meat damage.

The TRG-S is a TRG-42 with an open top receiver and Sako dovetail mount for the scope. The bolt in the TRG-S is an identical long action bolt to my TRG-42. The bolts in fact swap in each and function normally with the triggers. The only difference is the TRG-S has a smoother running chrome bolt where the TRG-42 has a coating that isn't quite as smooth, but resists rust. Both are smooth of course.

The TRG-S magazine is just a shortened TRG-42 magazine with the magazine retention hole on the opposite side (front vs. rear like on the TRG-42). It has a plastic bottom plate as well which carries comfortably as a balance point.

The trigger is excellent and has many part similarities to the standard TRG-42 trigger (probably more like Tikka which it may swap with), but is not two stage. It has a clean break and no over-travel and is the best I've used on a hunting rifle. The safety has the TRG style bolt locking and firing pin block and is quiet to disengage when on a hunt so you won't spook anything.

The iron sights on this rifle are not common in the states that I've seen. This one is located in New Zealand.

Bare rifle weight is about 7lbs 13ozs. in this caliber. With the Zeiss HD5 scope with locking turrets shown it is a bit over 9lbs. A little heavy for a mountain rifle, but very stable and accurate for field conditions. The rifle has a Mountain Shooter Sling attached to it. This is an excellent sling for fast looping up and makes the rifle extremely stable.

The rifle is very accurate. With hand loads it is 0.5MOA (I don't use match but hunting bullets so maybe it could be improved). The last time I helped cull a fallow on this farm a 200+ yard headshot was used seated with a sling without drama. The rifle points well and is a joy to shoot.

I don't use bipods on my hunting rifles, but one could be attached. The stock is comfortable with a nice comb and smooth texture. There is slight flex in the fore end, but nothing out of the ordinary for a rifle of this weight.

The TRG-S is as accurate as the bigger brothers in my experience and probably just as rugged in terms of action reliability and performance. I will be hunting with this rifle more going forward because it is everything my bigger TRGs are but just a lighter weight.

Below are some photos comparing the TRG-S and TRG-42 bolt, magazines, magazine fit, magazine length for 6.5 swede (talk about loading long!) and a full view of Black Beauty herself.

IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_2947.jpg
IMG_2949.jpg
IMG_2950.jpg
IMG_2953.jpg
IMG_2954.jpg
IMG_4002.jpg

Last edited:
When I saw that TRG in 6.5 Swede in the store I knew it would be coming home with me.

The Swede doesn't have the power of larger calibers, but it seems to do the business with a carefully placed shot. I use 140SST, but also will be trying 140 partitions based on recommendations from Nathan Foster who has shot an immense amount of game with this caliber on the North Island:

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/6.5x55.html

It's not as popular in NZ as 7mm08 or 270, but it has a good following down here as many older Mauser rifles imported in were chambered in this caliber. Most stores stock ammo for it if you don't hand load.

On top of this, the ballistics are extremely close to my TRG in 260 shooting 139 scenars which means my wind calls carry over from comp practice to hunting if I need to extend the range. I've used this rifle out to almost 700 yards on 6" steel rounds without trouble and may actually enter a comp with it just for fun to go up against the heavier rifles.

Last edited:
I already had a rail on mine so I Drilled and tapped it for a small Allen that would fit into the loop in the strap. I don’t mind modifying parts that are removable.
That seems like a good solution for the TRG. I will have to figure something out for the M10. No removable rail. Might be able to do something with the Spuhr mount though.

KRG action wrench, takes 15 min with a barrel vise now.

Hardest part is breaking the factory barrel loose. My smith did that and he still says how hard it was :). once you have a headspaced barrel your good to go. I have a Bartline 260 that almost shot out, factory 308, and my new Rock Creek 260 that was just finished. Local match is limiting us to 308 so factory barrel went back on this weekend.
IMG_8387.JPG

Reactions: Massoud
Hmm, thought I posted this before but it vanished....
I had a chance to go to Shot Show last week. There was nothing really new or interesting for the TRG or M10.
I did however get to speak to one of the product managers at SAKO. I asked about new calibers for the M10. He refused to comment officially but it seems pretty likely they will be doing something in 6.5CM. 300 Norma is also a possibility. (This is the same story from 2018 and there has been no visible progress.)
I also spoke to him about Sako's total lack of support for civilian sales for the M10 in this country. I let him know that AI had been sponsoring people in PRS and had been responsive to that market. As a result AI is selling more rifles. I let him know that PRS created a significant market in the US. I believe he got it. He said he would love to see PRS get started in Europe.
I brought up the idea of selling barrel extensions so US customers could have barrels spun up for our M10s. Oddly, he said I was the first person to suggest that. I am confused because the people at both EuroOptic AND Finnaccuracy have asked Sako about this and have been turned down.
I am going to email him in a couple days to ask again about buying extensions. If anyone has a question or wants me to relay something to the folks at Sako go ahead and respond to this.
Cheers.

Reactions: Statie07
KRG action wrench, takes 15 min with a barrel vise now.

Hardest part is breaking the factory barrel loose. My smith did that and he still says how hard it was :). once you have a headspaced barrel your good to go. I have a Bartline 260 that almost shot out, factory 308, and my new Rock Creek 260 that was just finished. Local match is limiting us to 308 so factory barrel went back on this weekend. View attachment 7013354
Excellent, I had a 6.5CM barrel put on a couple years ago. It is all but shot out now so I need to replace it. I have the KRG wrench but I was afraid to try it. Given it has already been changed once hopefully it won't be too hard.

I had a chance to go to Shot Show last week. There was nothing really new or interesting for the TRG or M10.
I did however get to speak to one of the product managers at SAKO. I asked about new calibers for the M10. He refused to comment officially but it seems pretty likely they will be doing something in 6.5CM. 300 Norma is also a possibility. (This is the same story from 2018 and there has been no visible progress.)
I also spoke to him about Sako's total lack of support for civilian sales for the M10 in this country. I let him know that AI had been sponsoring people in PRS and had been responsive to that market. As a result AI is selling more rifles. I let him know that PRS created a significant market in the US. I believe he got it. He said he would love to see PRS get started in Europe.
I brought up the idea of selling barrel extensions so US customers could have barrels spun up for our M10s. Oddly, he said I was the first person to suggest that. I am confused because the people at both EuroOptic AND Finnaccuracy have asked Sako about this and have been turned down.
I am going to email him in a couple days to ask again about buying extensions. If anyone has a question or wants me to relay something to the folks at Sako go ahead and respond to this.
Cheers.

It’s a shame because the trg Action, trigger, stock and magazine are in my opinion as good as anything. If sako offered a magnum bolt face for the trg-22. A butt stock without the hook on the bottom and sponsored quality shooters I think the trg could have a real presence in the prs scene. I wanted the defiance deviant and arc nucleus to be better but I’ll still take a trg.

Reactions: jbell
Cheers.

I spoke with the Sako R&D Director in 2018 overthere and got a similar answer. He said 300NM in the future and no 6.5s soon.
Also a sales manager mentioned they will be focusing on A1 platform in short action calibers.
So, will see. But I am a pessimistic about the 6.5 future of M10.

P.S. LRI will take the market. Lol

Sako TRG 22A1 rifles in 308Win, 260Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor are in stock.

View attachment 6388911View attachment 6388912 And it's ancestor an old .223 Tikka M595 Master Sporter. 24" 1:12 barrel, CDI bottom metal to accept AICS magazines. Single stage adjustable trigger with spring from Ernie the Gunsmith. Breaks crisp at just over 1 LB. Nightforce 20 MOA rail and Badger 1" rings. Rifle is topped with a Steiner T5xi 5x25 with SCR reticle. This thing is a god damned laser with 52 grain SMKs and 26.5 grains of Varget. I am going to have a Bartlein Sendero 1:8 put on so I can shoot heavier bullets.

Nice rifle... wishing I had not sold mine

Just put my TRG42 in .300win in jail today, 10 more days and I can pick it up :D

A new toy has arrived...
TRG 22A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor; zeroed it with the factory 147 Hornady ammo today....
The first impression is quite positive. As I owned a M10 previously, I like improvements in its chassis/stock, comparing with a legacy folding design. A bolt (short action) is coated and lighter, everything else came from the M10 platform.
As you see, in terms of accuracy, nothing has changed, it shoots pretty well even with a factory ammo...

Attachments

• E1AD418D-D0B2-459D-9FF7-EBFC64751D7A.jpeg
    E1AD418D-D0B2-459D-9FF7-EBFC64751D7A.jpeg
    712.9 KB · Views: 184
  • F8F8F8CD-9836-4104-B81E-E6BB0B6FFDCA.jpeg
    F8F8F8CD-9836-4104-B81E-E6BB0B6FFDCA.jpeg
    447.5 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Got this beauty this weekend! I’ve been dreaming of getting a TRG in 6.5 Creedmoor for my do it all and this thing doesn’t disappoint. It’s 14.3 lbs without ammo in the mag. Smithed by SAC, and I couldn’t be happier

Attachments

• 608C6D90-34FE-4177-B19C-C3DC78147E0B.jpeg
    608C6D90-34FE-4177-B19C-C3DC78147E0B.jpeg
    463.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 796C55B0-4645-43CB-88E3-5C4AC2588490.jpeg
    796C55B0-4645-43CB-88E3-5C4AC2588490.jpeg
    474.9 KB · Views: 139
what aftermarket stocks are available for TRG-S/M995? same footprint as 42

see KRG and McMillan. for TRG-S specifically, would a 42 stock work? XLR has stopped inletting for Sako.

other option would be going flat top and custom I suppose