• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110 elite precision

^Thanks Doug - no bolt issues for me though - smoother than a stock Remmy, but not like a custom Rem or a Tikka - I have the Stealth Evo 223 in the MDT and the plasti-mags feed beautifully, and offers length to spare. I'm still mulling the Elite Precision vs a custom.

Reactions: nikonNUT
wondering....are people still pleased with the savage 110 elite precision? would you recommend them not that you've had the rifle for a while? thanks
Dude I LOVE MINE In 338 lapua! ran great today shooting 2k . Went 7/10 at 2000 yards with a .5moa group.

0772F587-4BD0-456C-BD10-7638B276241D.jpeg
D055281D-3A8C-4DEB-8DBB-0A71CCD7E44B.png

Dude I LOVE MINE In 338 lapua! ran great today shooting 2k . Went 7/10 at 2000 yards with a .5moa group.

View attachment 7309695View attachment 7309696

Nice looking rifle. A 0.5 MOA group is exceptional for 2000 yards, well done!

Is this typical for the rifle, or best group at 2K ever? Wind was cooperating?

I am getting good results with 153 gn Atip bullets in 6.5CM. Pity about the price though.

What group size do you get at 100 yards?

Namib Hunter

Last edited:
Nice looking rifle. A 0.5 MOA group is exceptional for 2000 yards, well done!

Is this typical for the rifle, or best group at 2K ever? Wind was cooperating?

I am getting good results with 153 gn Atip bullets in 6.5CM. Pity about the price though.

What group size do you get at 100 yards?

Namib Hunter
Well this was my first time shooting out to 2000 with the rifle. The wind was good that day for sure, I shot it later in the day and didnt have the same luck.
I havent even done load dev with this rifle yet, I was waiting for the barrel to finish speeding up. I shot this group with an sd of 20, but must have been in an accuracy node.
The few groups I have shot on this rifle have given me .53 moa and .33 moa so far are my best two groups. So far I have been very impressed with the rifle.

They dont offer it in 338 norma, So I will shoot the 338 til its shot out then look at another option, maybe a 37xc or something.
That’s what I’m going to do. What are you shooting in your 338 Lapua? I’m shooting 97.5 g of RL33 but only have 70 rounds So far and it’s just starting to tighten up. Shooting Th at with 300 Berger Hybrid Targets and Norma brass. I have retumbo but am saving that for my 300 PRC I just put together. I do have a couple to few lbs of H1000 as well.

I dont mind the trigger at all. But who makes a good aftermarket trigger for the savage 110?
I have the SAV - 1 on an Axis and it is tuned pretty nice. Not the same as my diamond or specials from triggertech but it is very consistent. I’ve heard the Tinney’s have had problems but don’t know that from my own experience. I believe these are the two options.

View attachment 7309695View attachment 7309696
That’s great! Do you mind sharing your load data? I’m at 97.5 w/RL33 and Berger 300 OTMs and Norma brass (215Ms) but am only at 70 shots so it’s still speeding up. I have Retumbo, H1000 and a few other powders but am not loving my load. To be fair I just pulled it off Alliant’s site and worked up to it so there could be a good node in there somewhere though I’m not going to go any hotter... it’s shooting about 2,900 which is actually faster than I was thinking I’d get out of it.

That’s great! Do you mind sharing your load data? I’m at 97.5 w/RL33 and Berger 300 OTMs and Norma brass (215Ms) but am only at 70 shots so it’s still speeding up. I have Retumbo, H1000 and a few other powders but am not loving my load. To be fair I just pulled it off Alliant’s site and worked up to it so there could be a good node in there somewhere though I’m not going to go any hotter... it’s shooting about 2,900 which is actually faster than I was thinking I’d get out of it.
So I’m using h1000 and the hornady 300gr atips, ive our 2000 rounds through it, from my last round of load dev, it looks like 94.0 grains will be my load for now, and will fine tune it, with seating depth, and check what 93.8 and 94.2 looks like in the rifle as well. but it gave me an sd of 7 which is manageable for now, and a group of .43 moa, 2944 fps.
I got it up to 3000 FPS without any big pressure signs.

So I’m using h1000 and the hornady 300gr atips, ive our 2000 rounds through it, from my last round of load dev, it looks like 94.0 grains will be my load for now, and will fine tune it, with seating depth, and check what 93.8 and 94.2 looks like in the rifle as well. but it gave me an sd of 7 which is manageable for now, and a group of .43 moa, 2944 fps.

Thanks for getting back to me. I actually have a box of A-Tips I haven’t loaded yet and H1000. are you shooting Lapua brass? I’m planning on turning the gun into a 37XC when done but will shoot the barrel out first.
how many loads are you getting out of your brass? I’m jumping .030” but that’s all I’ve tried so far as I’m just trying to get barrel broke in.
With 2,000 rounds on the barrel have you got an idea of barrel life left?
I ended up having to bed my rail as it came loose so that caused a detour but I’m back on this gun now.

i assumed lol thanks for the help
On second thought I might try retumbo as I have 10lbs of it and will save my 1000. Have you tried any retumbo at all with those A-Tips?

About API for Savage ,in that they don't give any info on the rifling [standard or 5-R] or anything about the barrel itself. Also, there are 3 different Accutriggers,Think they would brag if they were using one of the better ones.

Im anxious to hear reports on how it groups and functions as im in the market for a new precision rifle.
I was able to get it to group well under an inch with 3 different types of factory match ammo when I got a hold of one at the end of last year.

I’m bummed I couldn’t keep it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thecelt
I just put one on order at the only place that I could find. It says backorder but the pricing was better than what I was expecting vs their msrp. 1,750 for everything but 338 300WM which was 1,799.00. The chassis alone with a MDT 10 rounder is over 1,200 so you’re getting a blueprinted stainless nitrided action, titanium nitrided bolt, threaded barrel (I’ll swap trigger and probably swap out the barrel depending...) all for $1,750. That’s an absolute no brained for me! Aaron
Are you looking at the ELF replacement trigger? I have one on order right now in 6.5 CM but the lack of aftermarket triggers bothered me at first. The ELF looks like a good replacement although I'd love if there was a trigger tech or other proven aftermarket options.

Are you looking at the ELF replacement trigger? I have one on order right now in 6.5 CM but the lack of aftermarket triggers bothered me at first. The ELF looks like a good replacement although I'd love if there was a trigger tech or other proven aftermarket options.

Timney makes a good drop-in replacement.

I haven’t tried the Elftman 110 trigger yet. I’m on the fence with it as I’ve seen some mixed reviews on it.. I’ve tried the Sav after market triggers as well and they’re just ok. Timney is ok as well. I run Trigger Tech specials or diamonds on most my guns and they’re top tier in my opinion (only problem I’ve ever had was the safety binding up on one diamond which is unfortunate on a $300 trigger). I’d be interested in your thoughts on the Elftman trigger but after watching some videos it seems guys have had to do a fair amount of modifications to them... for $150 I’d expect a trigger to fit. I’m probably being picky but I don’t love the look of them with the trigger “mitt” on the outside but if they work they work...

I haven’t tried the Elftman 110 trigger yet. I’m on the fence with it as I’ve seen some mixed reviews on it.. I’ve tried the Sav after market triggers as well and they’re just ok. Timney is ok as well. I run Trigger Tech specials or diamonds on most my guns and they’re top tier in my opinion (only problem I’ve ever had was the safety binding up on one diamond which is unfortunate on a $300 trigger). I’d be interested in your thoughts on the Elftman trigger but after watching some videos it seems guys have had to do a fair amount of modifications to them... for $150 I’d expect a trigger to fit. I’m probably being picky but I don’t love the look of them with the trigger “mitt” on the outside but if they work they work...

You're hitting on one of the key issues with Savage rifles. You can get a lot of "ok" aftermarket upgrades, but nothing like the top tier stuff. I've got a Savage that I did a fair amount of upgrades to. One of those was a Timney. It's pretty good for the money, but it falls way short of my Triggertech Diamond and I can't even put it in the same sentence as my Bix's.

You're hitting on one of the key issues with Savage rifles. You can get a lot of "ok" aftermarket upgrades, but nothing like the top tier stuff. I've got a Savage that I did a fair amount of upgrades to. One of those was a Timney. It's pretty good for the money, but it falls way short of my Triggertech Diamond and I can't even put it in the same sentence as my Bix's.
I agree with that 100%! I love savages and have many of them but am way more into custom guns now but I had to have this one, and have had a ton of fun shooting w it past a mile. I think this one is going to be a gateway drug for me and an A.I. next year.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci

This is one of my big concerns and reservations about this rifle, I didn't do a lot of research prior to dropping the deposit (idiot impulse buy moment) and I really didn't want to be getting into a rifle that isn't going to have limitations from the get-go, for this reason, I decided to cancel my order on the 110 elite precision.

I did walk out of the store with a Bergara HMR Pro 24" in 6.5 CM, which comes stock with a Trigger Tech Trigger installed, adjusted to the lightest pull 1.5lbs it is by far the nicest trigger I have ever used, and I am not sure if I will need an upgrade anytime soon.

I agree with that 100%! I love savages and have many of them but am way more into custom guns now but I had to have this one, and have had a ton of fun shooting w it past a mile. I think this one is going to be a gateway drug for me and an A.I. next year.

As I mentioned above I decided to go with a different rifle this time around, this being a gun that I want to be able to enhance and improve as time goes on, I decided on the Bergara HMR Pro 6.5 CM.

I am planning on dropping it into an MDT ACC chassis in the future, not sure if that will be sooner or later.

The big decision is to get the MDT chassis and use the SWFA 10x42 scope I have until I can get the Strike Eagle 5x25x56, or just get the Strike eagle now and upgrade the chassis later.

I did walk out of the store with a Bergara HMR Pro 24" in 6.5 CM, which comes stock with a Trigger Tech Trigger installed, adjusted to the lightest pull 1.5lbs it is by far the nicest trigger I have ever used, and I am not sure if I will need an upgrade anytime soon.

So, interestingly, I used to own the same rifle in 6 CM. I still believe the HMR Pro to be one of the better factory rifles out there in that price range. I sold mine not because I didn't like it, but rather that I got my 6 BRA done and the two are too similar in base round performance to keep both.

What you already know about the HMR Pro is that the trigger is excellent, the action smooth (and I love the fluted stainless bolt), and that Bergara barrels, while not Bartlein or Krieger, are some of the better barrels available on a factory product. The only thing that I found that was at issue with the rifle is...

I am planning on dropping it into an MDT ACC chassis in the future, not sure if that will be sooner or later.

This. The stock is good, but never quite felt great for me. But then, I'm a Manners convert, and nothing feels great except those :)

Fortunately, as you mention, you can easily change that to whatever suits your fancy when the time is right.

The big decision is to get the MDT chassis and use the SWFA 10x42 scope I have until I can get the Strike Eagle 5x25x56, or just get the Strike eagle now and upgrade the chassis later.

My advice on both of these is to wait. The existing stock is fine and will get you going while you familiarize yourself with the rifle. Glass is more important. Speaking of that, putting a Strike Eagle on a Bergara is a little bit of a waste. If you're going to be shooting at like 300 yards, then fine, but that's not what this rifle is for. Save up here and get something decent while you use what you've got. Look at getting a used, decent quality optic that has an unlimited warranty to protect yourself. There are many, many acceptable optics in the ~3-18 mag range that you can get used for not a ton more than a Strike Eagle will cost that will suit you 100x better. Pick a budget and start looking. You can get something for mid-100s of dollars used that will be head and shoulders better than the Strike Eagle.

If you get into shooting at anything approaching longer range, your eyes will thank you.

buyer beware, 6CM 110 elite arrived and the bore scope showed a barrel so full of chatter ridges it was unusable so back to Savage, 4 months later a new rifle was sent, and Savage notified BATF of the destruction of the previous receiver, the new barrel is better but still has chatter marks about 8 inches from the muzzle. So just figure on buying new barrel from a third party

I convert all my Savage rifles to factory fat knob bolt handle. It's the ticket for bolt lift. Savage are horrible for that but I like them better than hunter variants with limited palm purchase area. Savage rifles shoot great they just have buick actions🤣

buyer beware, 6CM 110 elite arrived and the bore scope showed a barrel so full of chatter ridges it was unusable so back to Savage, 4 months later a new rifle was sent, and Savage notified BATF of the destruction of the previous receiver, the new barrel is better but still has chatter marks about 8 inches from the muzzle. So just figure on buying new barrel from a third party
😂
That’s normal savage barrels.
You don’t shoot them because they’re pretty.

I convert all my Savage rifles to factory fat knob bolt handle. It's the ticket for bolt lift. Savage are horrible for that but I like them better than hunter variants with limited palm purchase area. Savage rifles shoot great they just have buick actions🤣
I replaced my oem ball with their oem BA tactical knob because I was sick of bending and/or tearing my thumbnail when it hits the throw lever. I switched to a metal Switchview and it still happened too if I got sloppy.

Attachments

• Resized_20210223_101652.jpeg
    Resized_20210223_101652.jpeg
    405.6 KB · Views: 107
I replaced my oem ball with their oem BA tactical knob because I was sick of bending and/or tearing my thumbnail when it hits the throw lever. I switched to a metal Switchview and it still happened too if I got sloppy.
Quit trying to grab it like a monkey.
Lift it like a reverse karate chop, an upward motion off of the index finger then follow through with a rearward motion.
Silky smooth with lots of clearance.

Quit trying to grab it like a monkey.
Lift it like a reverse karate chop, an upward motion off of the index finger then follow through with a rearward motion.
Silky smooth with lots of clearance.
Do you even own a Savage? IF you do "silky smooth" and Savage are like oil and water. I can reverse karate chop and guide it back in with my thumb on my Tikka TAC A1 but my Savage is no bueno because that bolt will bind due to the friction and slop.

Do you even own a Savage? IF you do "silky smooth" and Savage are like oil and water. I can reverse karate chop and guide it back in with my thumb on my Tikka TAC A1 but my Savage is no bueno because that bolt will bind due to the friction and slop.
You are talking to basically the only proud, but still respectable, savage supporter on the forum.

I too have found that doing what Steel says is the best way. Your thumb counteracts the rock much more while you blade the handle with your index finger than just ham fisting it.

• Haha
Reactions: Steel head
FC7E7C9C-579B-46D9-A0C3-E9276C7D581B.jpeg

If you’re fighting friction and slop your being a
A4A45655-DE95-44A6-B852-72CE3140DD51.gif

You are talking to basically the only proud, but still respectable, savage supporter on the forum.

I too have found that doing what Steel says is the best way. Your thumb counteracts the rock much more while you blade the handle with your index finger than just ham fisting it.
386C237F-758C-4714-ACC5-4F5AEDEF026F.gif

• Love
Reactions: spife7980
Curious about this rifle in 300WM.
I bought the 110 Tactical in 300 WinMag. After bedding the stock and loctiting the scope rail screws ive gotten several .29 MOA's after load development with 215g Bergers. I'm sure the upgraded version will shoot just as good.

lol, I could be a close 2nd proud supporter for Savage. I prefer to shoot my Elite Precision over my TAC A1 98% of the time (mainly because of the ACC chassis). I had to bevel my Savage's plunger extractor to feed right. My Savage is better than my TAC A1 on everything except for smoothness of bolt but then again Tikka's are probably the smoothest factory production rifle every made.

IF you and Steel head can use those motions smoothly and fluidly on your Savages that's great. I can't on my Savage or any of my past Savages. I have to pinch the bolt knob to slightly lift it before I can move it forward. My Tikka on the other hand doesn't require anything aggressive. She just slides in and out.

Reactions: spife7980
I've been thinking about building a 300 Win Mag for some time now, and I see sportsmans has these on sale. I don't think you could build the same gun from parts for the price they're asking. Only problem is 300 Win Mag brass seems to be unattainable.

😂
That’s normal savage barrels.
You don’t shoot them because they’re pretty.
Ditto.
They all scare the hell out of me when borescoped. Look like railroad tracks, horrible button chatter- you'd think they couldn't hit shit.
Yet, they shoot well. Never had one that didn't hold min 3/4 minute with time spent on load development.
They do load up on copper quickly, so I strip that after most every range trip.

I don't think you could build the same gun from parts for the price they're asking.

Have a Stealth Evo in .338 Lapua, very capable rifle- and 1/3 of what it would cost me to build one from components from a Defiance or similar, doing all the chambering/fitting work myself.

If you need pretty rifling then spend another $2K and buy pretty rifling that doesn't shoot any better than ugly rifling. My Savage shoots .5 MOA with rifling/chatter that looks like hell. Shoot the fucking gun and see what it does.....bore scoping and lamenting about chatter is useless.

Does it shoot? Mine does...looks like hell but it shoots just fine. Better than me. Use what works.

VooDoo

Maybe I missed it elsewhere in the thread, but it's a must to note that the current ELR, World Record at 2,158 yards is held by Randy Wise with-
none other than a factory Savage .338 LM.

I know it is easy and economical to buy prefit barrels for Small Shank Savage rifles. That is an advantage many Savage owners appreciate.

Who sells prefit barrels for Large Shank Savage receivers?

Last edited:
I know it is easy and economical to buy prefit barrels for Small Shank Savage rifles. That is an advantage many Savage owners appreciate.

But: Who sells prefit barrels for Large Shank Savage receivers?
X-Caliber
McGowen
Krieger

Pretty much anyone that makes a small shank....

Reactions: NamibHunter
Cool paint job!

Josh
Thanks! When I told some friends I was doing yellow they all said no way. But I think it turned out really good. just ordered 2 of your Mlok bag riders for the two rifles i have. can’t wait to get them installed.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
Just curious: What speed, 100 yard group size and SD are you guys getting with the 338 LM version?

Thinking about using this for a budget ELR rifle, shooting the heavies. Does the twist rate work for the 300 gn Berger?