• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage 308 COL question

jmtyndall

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2010
Washington
I have a quick question. I am using the cleaning rod method to figure out max OAL to the lands. With a 155 sierra I get 2.914" max length when the bullet touches the lands. Max that fits in my mag is 2.855" so that's fine. I also looked up where some other people were and 2.915" seems reasonable. However, I loaded a 175 smk to 2.855 and go to chamber it, won't go. Measure the OAL with the cleaning rod again, with this bullet I'm showing 2.806 when it hits the lands. If I'm not mistaken, 2.800 is max OAL for a .308, so this number seems REALLY short to be hitting the lands. Is this common? I seem to be seeing a lot more people in the 2.9XX than in the 2.8XX region.

Re: Savage 308 COL question

It also has to do with the Ogive of the bullet the difference between the 155 and 175. It would seem that you have a really short chamber, and no 2.800 is not max unless (like in your case) the chamber is short. In my Remmy 700 SPS Tac the chamber is really long and it allow me to load them way out there.

Sorry but I don't follow the logic here. The 155 (2155 or 2156?) allows you to go beyond mag length but the 175 does not? Clearly the difference in the ogive will affect the overall length but this does not account for the dramatic difference you detail.

Are you sure the case you loaded the 175 in is properly resized? Will it chamber without the bullet loaded. You say the max length to jam is 2.806 with that bullet. Is there a numerical transposition in what you wrote?

Never mind I read the statement wrong 2.806 yes it seems out of line if this is a factory barrel, and even if its a upgraded barrel. I was reading 2.860 but even that would be a little short for factory barrels

here is some info.
308 Winchester (SAAMI) Gauges

GO - 1.6300"
NOGO - 1.6340"
FIELD - 1.6380"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It also has to do with the Ogive of the bullet the difference between the 155 and 175. It would seem that you have a really short chamber, and no 2.800 is not max unless (like in your case) the chamber is short. In my Remmy 700 SPS Tac the chamber is really long and it allow me to load them way out there. </div></div>
I should have specified book max. People can and do load beyond it all the time, just as I intended to, which is why I'm measuring where my bullets hit the lands. Sorry if I worded it poorly.

I understand the 155s(2156) will be different. I looked up where other people are hitting the land with the same bullets and I'm in the same ballpark, which would seem to rule out an exceptionally short chambering.

However, I have used two different brand cases, 3 bullets and two methods to measure with the 175's, and am coming up with 2.806"-2.810" as my extreme spread, which compared to where other people are loading these, is very short. Cases chamber without a bullet. Cases chamber loaded at 2.800. Colored with sharpie isn't showing lands hitting the bullet at that length. And so we can verify that I'm not being dyslexic:
IMAG0137-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never mind I read the statement wrong 2.806 yes it seems out of line if this is a factory barrel, and even if its a upgraded barrel. I was reading 2.860 but even that would be a little short for factory barrels

here is some info.
308 Winchester (SAAMI) Gauges

GO - 1.6300"
NOGO - 1.6340"
FIELD - 1.6380" </div></div>

When we rebarreled we ended up with headspace between .001 and .002 over min. IE, it closes on a guage .001 over GO, and does not on a guage .002 over min.

I get it now. So what is max OAl of the 175 load? Head to meplat?

I just got the Stoney Point gauge and the comparator but haven't used them yet! Any chance the cleaning rod method is giving you some imprecision?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I get it now. So what is max OAl of the 175 load? Head to meplat?

I just got the Stoney Point gauge and the comparator but haven't used them yet! Any chance the cleaning rod method is giving you some imprecision? </div></div>
Meplat to case head at 2.800" chambers fine, 2.810 is hard to close, I presume because it's hitting the lands. There could be some imprecision in the method, but I got the same length using a cut case and pushing into the lands that way.

Have you tried talking with the barrel maker and see what they say ? to me that seems a tad bit out of line. You should have a little more room than that. The last time i measured mine it was in the 2.9xx region.

I haven't it's a factory savage barrel, so I was expecting...well certainly a lot more than that. If it was a custom chamber I could see the lands being that close.

However I don't think the measurement is wrong. I marked on the bullet where the comparator sits, which should be about where the lands contact the bullet, and measured the difference in length from the meplat to that mark on each bullet. I'm coming up with about .10, which is pretty near the difference of where the 155's hit the lands(2.914) and where the 175's hit the lands (2.806).

Think I'll load the 155's to 2.850" so they are as long as the mag allows, then I'll throw the 175's at 2.790" and go run some tests

Bummer.

Is it possible the chamber is reamed for a specific bullet?

I have a Savage I'd like to replace barrels on. Just waiting for funds to become a little more regular but visit the Savage Shooters forum to see what Northland supply has on hand.

It looks so easy!

the way i just measured mine is I have a factory federal case that i pulled the bullet from and took a 175 smk and just pressured it on into the case neck enough to sit there without falling off. Then i put the round into the chamber and closed the bolt then pulled the round out and i came out with 2.945. I think my chamber is a little longer then most but the dam rifle is accurate.

Possible. Though, the person I bought it off re-barreled at 0 rounds to a different cartridge, don't think he would have spent the time and money.

The process was super easy, though I just watched while the experienced person did all the work. Compared to the way he showed me a remington has to be done, it was a cake walk.

What savage do you have? I have a stock 10 fcp-k .308 and mine is 2.818 to the lands with the 175 SMK. split case measurement.

I too have a Savage 10FCP.

The total coal to lands is 2.850" with the 175 SMK and 2.930" with the 155 (2156).

Measured with the Hornady lock and load OAL gauge and the bullet run well into the breach. jammed if you will!

That's a relieving number to see. Mine is a 10FP. Barrel is off of a savage 10 of some make.