• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Impulse

Oh yeah, there's also the more recent issue of them not replacing barrel reamers frequently enough and many 6.5 Creedmoor barrels having short chambers that won't properly chamber Hornady factory ammo...experienced that one myself.

Somewhat similar concept to my 130 year old Steyr Carbine, only with the Steyr, you don’t have to lift the bolt....much faster and perhaps will help keep the rifle closer to target alignment, on fast repeat shots! memtb

Oh yeah, there's also the more recent issue of them not replacing barrel reamers frequently enough and many 6.5 Creedmoor barrels having short chambers that won't properly chamber Hornady factory ammo...experienced that one myself.

and they're ugly

Reactions: bigwatchpilot
Finally a less expensive Fortner-ish Straight Pull! Ha I saw Savage and didn't even click on this link until a few minutes ago.

Hmm, somebody at Savage has been reading my posts....good on them. You guys know I've been pushing this type of action now for 7 years.

Doesn't make sense financially for Savage but I sure wish they or someone else would make a super short SP with thumb push and Fortner lever for the 6mmBR cases. Of course high cap mags too!

I sure hope they dialed in feeding, extraction, and ejection, because that would suck if they half assed it!

I'll never forget nearly breaking a tooth when keeping my head on the stock and ejecting a case in a K31. I had crept up on the stock without realizing it. Wouldn't be an issue running a modern chassis with cheek rest but in general with the straight pull rifles I've played with there is no gently ejecting a spent case. You pull until you overcome the force needed to unlock the bolt and then it's moving 100 mph until it hits the bolt stop. Maybe this one is smoother/softer. It definitely has some neat features and I'm excited to see how they work out.

But for all of savages quirks, they are still a company while Remington is nothing now
B20F4EB2-764A-4410-B003-0046A4892B20.jpeg

Very true!

My savage had weak ejection all its life and fed poorly in factory stock.
Chassis and AI mags got it to feed.
At past 10k the ejector finally died completely and I updated the ejector and extractor.

I’m curious at to the build quality as this new rifle is priced well above my lowly 11XP

Last edited:
I'll never forget nearly breaking a tooth when keeping my head on the stock and ejecting a case in a K31. I had crept up on the stock without realizing it. Wouldn't be an issue running a modern chassis with cheek rest but in general with the straight pull rifles I've played with there is no gently ejecting a spent case. You pull until you overcome the force needed to unlock the bolt and then it's moving 100 mph until it hits the bolt stop. Maybe this one is smoother/softer. It definitely has some neat features and I'm excited to see how they work out.

Possible victim at 0:15:

I know very well Blaser, Heym and Haenel straight pull action rifles. It's quite demanding in terms of machining, tolerances and culture of craftmanship to produce a reliable and safe straight action rifle. Everybody knows Lutz's research on Blaser R93.
Having said that I have to compliment Savage on their new design. Looks like safe platform by design. The big question is the smoothiness of the action. I hate Blaser but their action is smooth. In der Beschränkung zeigt sich erst der Meister. We'll see soon. MSRP is promising.

But for all of savages quirks, they are still a company while Remington is nothing now
Turns out the Axis rifles at least shoot decently, even if they still feel/operate like a cheap rifle. The Remington 783's that tried to compete with Savage shot worse than any other rifle's I've tried, including cheap AR's.

I'm excited to check these out when they finally hit shelves in stores, I've never even fiddled with a straight-pull rifle before.

Kind of hard to tell if the action is stiff from being new, or just naturally a stiff design. It sure seems like that guy had to really pull on it. Hmmm....
I like how the first advantage he lists is that you can keep your head on the stock and eyes through the scope, and then proceeds to do neither for the next 3 minutes.
As to the 3 rounds on a 3" plate at 700 yards..
Video or it didn't happen.

I like how the first advantage he lists is that you can keep your head on the stock and eyes through the scope, and then proceeds to do neither for the next 3 minutes.
Maybe he meant 3 MOA haha. Definitely need video evidence of that

Yeah, I noticed that as well. :D

I used to subscribe to Outdoor Life...and finally I gave it up after reading too many articles clearly written by someone who had barely an inkling of what they were talking about. Hell, I even look at some of my own old articles and cringe...

The lightest of the three models is still a pretty chonky 8.4lbs... How did Savage pull that off on a hunting rifle with an aluminum action?

I'm down for any company making new stuff. I think the Q Fix, Daniel defense Delta 5, Sig Cross are all good for the sport. This one will have teething problems like the rest, but folks figure it out.
Freedom of choice people!!!

I’ve wanted a Lynx or Blaser for a while. This is very interesting to me.
Still looks like a savage but as long as it shoots like one and I hope they also offer it in a short/mini action.

Nevermind. Just saw it in a video. My favorite rifle configuration is a left bolt right port. This could be awesome. I am a Savage hater but I might buy one. The predator version has a threaded muzzle, takes AICS mags, and has a 20 MOA rail from the factory. They hit a home run with that spec list.

Looks like a new barrel nut design?
Torn between a 6.5CM or 300WSM Big Game.
I love the 300WSM I built in an Oryx using a Savage action. But it is not the most comfortable thing to carry for hunting weighing in at 13.7 pounds. I was kind of hoping for a 7mm-08, but that didn't happen. Maybe I'll get the 6.5CM and rebarrel it. I'm sure I could sell the barrel.

Looks a lot like a Swiss K-31 design as well. Kind of a Heym-Swiss hybrid.

Hopefully (if they have half a brain between all the executives) they will retain the inlet and barrel dimensions already in use by the after market, to drive the sales of their rifle.

That being said, I still remember when their first long range rifle came out...with proprietary magazines. When asked (at SHOT) why they didn't use the common AICS mag, I got a dumbfounded, blank look. Smdh...
Now can it shoot like my K31

Reactions: Davo308
Haha I thought the same thing . Maybe he’s just to use to movement of a regular bolt action, but definitely actions didn’t line up with words. And off hand 3” @700yards? I don’t know him but I have a meter pegging at bs with that. (Unless video)

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
Haha I thought the same thing . Maybe he’s just to use to movement of a regular bolt action, but definitely actions didn’t line up with words. And off hand 3” @700yards? I don’t know him but I have a meter pegging at bs with that. (Unless video)
Typically when you see that, it means they don't shoot multiple targets much (or movers).

It's kinda like watching a newbie working a bolt gun, versus a veteran NRL/PRS guy running a bolt as muscle memory, instead of a conscious act. Economy of movement.

It would be sweet if they make a version of the 516 with this action and make it left hand eject with maybe a 2 round internal box magazine.

If it turns out to be a good action drop it in a McM or a Manners or [insert chassis], put on the barrel you want and run it.

Maybe at $1500ish it becomes the rock star of PRS factory division. 😱

Reactions: Winkmeister
Having shot a Fortner and regular turn bolt in an NRL comp, there’s no real discernible advantage to the straight pull

Sort of want. The follow up should be a precision rimfire.

Now THIS I could get behind. Straight pull makes more sense in a rimfire. Should be a smoother pull due to not needing to overcome as much pressure to open bolt, and no risk of broken teeth.

Having shot a Fortner and regular turn bolt in an NRL comp, there’s no real discernible advantage to the straight pull

I beg to differ because I can definitely attest that I've won stages and consequently NRL22 matches because of the Fortner action.
It doesn't take but a few points here and there to win and some extra speed helps on occasion. Not having to come off the scope in difficult positions has been a benefit.
The only thing I wish for is more weight on my 1827F.

Last edited:
Now THIS I could get behind. Straight pull makes more sense in a rimfire. Should be a smoother pull due to not needing to overcome as much pressure to open bolt, and no risk of broken teeth.

So lets do it.

A snick-snick action.

Middle, ring, and pinkie operate the action.

Thumb grasps the stock.

Pointer pulls.

Bolt action accuracy with near semi auto rate of fire.

Also, was the 6mm lee not an american made rifle?

How well did the PWS/VQ Smmmit or Browning T bolt sell?

I only know a couple people who even know what either of those are, lol. If Savage did this they would be on the shelves in big box stores and would get better exposure.

How well did the PWS/VQ Smmmit or Browning T bolt sell?

That. Is a valid question.

But how many Americans have ever purchased a straighr pull?

Outside of my pair of k31s I have never seen one in the wild.

That. Is a valid question.

But how many Americans have ever purchased a straighr pull?

Outside of my pair of k31s I have never seen one in the wild.
You're making my point. Two, recent made, US market, straight pull rimfire rifles that have not sold in enough quantity to gain traction.
I always saw Browning T-bolts in my local box stores. No one ever bought them though.