• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage mark ii tr accuracy/ammo issues

HMRamateur

Will work for powder
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2019
I recently bought a savage mark ii tr with the Boyd's tacticool stock to get some cheap trigger time with. I bought 10 different types of ammo to test which it liked most, and surprisingly it liked cheap Winchester super x the most, with Eley sport a very close second. After I found the ammo it liked, I started playing with action torque values, as I've seen videos of people having better groups with different torque settings. I bought a thicker bottom metal so there isn't as much force in one area, as I have no bedded the stock, and I don't plan on it either. Once I changed the bottom metal, it did not like the super x anymore. Groups were all over the place. So I changed it back to the thinner bottom metal with a lower torque value, and the one group I shot was tighter again. I went out again today to see how it shot between 20, 25, and 30 inch pounds. 25 shot about 1 moa at 100, 30 opened up so I loosened the screws, tightened back up at 25, and they were all over the place again. Does this have to do with inconsistent torque on a laminate stock with no pillars? Maybe the ammo has been inconsistent the whole time, with a few good groups? I'm going to try the Eley again and see how that works, wish I brought more with me today but I was expecting the super x to shoot the same. The first picture is the first time shooting the super x at 50 yds, and the second picture is at 40 inch pounds at 50 yds. No point showing what the group looks like now as it's probably a 3-4 moa spread
20190411_191530.jpg
20190415_102341.jpg

Get 500 rounds down the barrel first. Inspect the muzzle crown, some aren't even finished.
Keep the chamber clean and don't let a carbon ring build up. Clean the bore when accuracy drops.
Try some CCI SV 0035 and SK Standard Plus.

For the price of the gun that 50 yd target isn't terrible, especially with Winchester ammo. I don't even bother testing their rimfire ammo.

.22lr exploits the shooter's technique as much as anything IMO, and is definitely effected by wind. Also set your trigger as light as possible. With my Savage Bmag I turned the spring adjuster "slight" past it's natural stop point and ended up with a decent 1.5-1.75lb trigger.

Get 500 rounds down the barrel first. Inspect the muzzle crown, some aren't even finished.
Keep the chamber clean and don't let a carbon ring build up. Clean the bore when accuracy drops.
Try some CCI SV 0035 and SK Standard Plus.

For the price of the gun that 50 yd target isn't terrible, especially with Winchester ammo. I don't even bother testing their rimfire ammo.

.22lr exploits the shooter's technique as much as anything IMO, and is definitely effected by wind. Also set your trigger as light as possible. With my Savage Bmag I turned the spring adjuster "slight" past it's natural stop point and ended up with a decent 1.5-1.75lb trigger.
I've got around that many through the barrel now, I wanted to use up most of what I already bought with ammo testing. It also gets a clean after every couple hundred rounds, I get extraction issues if I don't. I had a case get stuck a few days ago and had to use a rod to get it out. Builds up wax pretty easily it seems. I tried a bunch of different CCI, didn't like any of them either oddly enough. I'm going to try the Eley club and sport again, as they worked good previously as well, and I can buy them in bulk

I've got around that many through the barrel now, I wanted to use up most of what I already bought with ammo testing. It also gets a clean after every couple hundred rounds, I get extraction issues if I don't. I had a case get stuck a few days ago and had to use a rod to get it out. Builds up wax pretty easily it seems. I tried a bunch of different CCI, didn't like any of them either oddly enough. I'm going to try the Eley club and sport again, as they worked good previously as well, and I can buy them in bulk
Specifically CCi SV 0035, my Vudoo shoots it well at 50/100/200yds, it seems many guns will perform above average with it. 10K rds for $250 is hard to beat.