• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage Markll FV-SR Help

Tinbendur

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2010
TN, USA
Me and my brother are planning on getting us a couple of the Savage FVSR' s in 22lr to do some backyard plinking. I was wondering about everyone's experiences with these. And got some questions.
Does the base that comes with it have the rise to help with 100 yard shots? Or will we need to get the DIP base?
I have heard the stocks are slick plastic so can we add texture and paint?
I will be using a Tasco SS 16x40 but my brother will need a cheaper scope. He is on a bare bones budget.
What rings should we US?

Just a couple of questions to get this topic going while we wait on our local gunship to give us the call.

Thanks for the help.

Recoil flex, caused by that inexpensive injection molded stock,
will ruin any chance you have of bragging rights at any distance beyond 25 yards.
Plan on replacing the stock as soon as possible, or buy a better setup now.

You shouldn't need a 20 or 25 MOA scope base to shoot 100 yards, regardless of what base it comes with. You are most likely looking at one inch rings I believe (don't know for certain) with the base it comes with. Perhaps someone will confirm this.

Recoil flex, caused by that inexpensive injection molded stock,
will ruin any chance you have of bragging rights at any distance beyond 25 yards.
Plan on replacing the stock as soon as possible, or buy a better setup now.

Absolutely not true. While it is a terrible stock you just have to know how to shoot a tupperware stock. Dont put any pressure on the forearm and it shoots just fine. Ive got 1.5" groups at 100 on a good day but it consistently does 2" with cci sv and an inch at 50.

Mine is a bit more tricked out than the plastic stocked version (stock, scope, trigger kit), but with a bit of understanding it will shoot fine from the factory. The comment about the pressure on the fore-end is correct, this stock is so flimsy that pressure in that spot will affect the barrel & your shot. Use your rest back closer to the action and don't put a lot of pressure on it. As far as a 100 yard shooter, you can expect to group at 1 1/2" with CCI standard velocity ammunition, perhaps better if you practice and shoot a lot. At 50 yards and on a good day 3/4" will be possible. Remember, you will have to run a brick or so through the barrel before it settles down and begins to shoot well, unless you're very lucky.

With a 50 yard "0" you will be almost exactly 7" low at 100 yards with standard velocity ammo (CCI-SV, 1060 fps). You can use the plex cross-hairs to figure out your hold-over with no trouble for a 100 yard shot. My Pentax scope happens to be right on at 100 yards, if I hold over with the fat part of the plex line on target for a 100 yard shot. I "0" at 50 yards, and just adjust with the cross-hairs for 100 and it works perfectly. Start with a 50 yard 0 and just figure out the hold-over you need to make your shots.

1yst.jpg

The plex has 4 lines below the cross-hairs. Zero at 50 yards & 100 yard zero is the fat line below the 4 lines. This is 7" at 100 yards at 24x. Yours will be different, but it will still work the same way for you with a different scope.

Last edited:
I stand by my original comment.
My Savage never shot well until I replaced the stock.
Too much play between the receiver and the stock,
too much movement when the trigger was pulled.
No way to properly bed or pillar the stock as epoxy kept peeling away.

However, you don't need to agree with my comment,
as I'm sure you will have opportunity enough to learn on your own.
Very hard to keep thermoplastic rigid, which is what is needed for accuracy.
It's the reason it's called a tupperware stock...too flexible.

Thank you guys for your help. I really want to replace mine with the AICS Well G96 airsoft stock. And we will figure something else for my brother. We will just have to see when they come in.
What's a good inexpensive scope for my brother? 100 or less.

I must be lucky as mine in the plastic stock shooting cheap thunderbolt ammo will consistantly shoot 10 rd groups I can't put my finger in at my 65 yard range. Using the cheap 3x9x40 scope that came in the package deal from Dicks when they opened a new store I paid $169 scoped & bore sighted after A $100 off coupon. I use stick on targets on sheet metal ductwork. I do support the front closer to the action than the end. I have bought a laminated stock because I love the look & a better scope but I'm almost afraid to change anything as well as it shoots.

Take a look at the Pentax Game seeker II line. They aren't the best scopes ever made, but the 3-9 or 4-12 will still be less than $100 with shipping and for a 22 will be fine to work with. They aren't as good as Nikon in general (contrast, brightness & clarity) but for the money, they will provide a good look at whatever you're shooting at and have good enough adjustments to work well. For a budget scope it will be fine.

Thank you guys for your help. I really want to replace mine with the AICS Well G96 airsoft stock. And we will figure something else for my brother. We will just have to see when they come in.
What's a good inexpensive scope for my brother? 100 or less.

I don't think I want the AICS stock. Probably something more like what it has but more solid.