• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage Precision Carbine shoot M193 worth a crap?

wahoowad

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2012
Virginia
I'm thinking of getting a Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine in 5.56, mostly for shooting steel at the range or busting a groundhog out to 300 yards. If I do this I will want to shoot cheap M193 and already have a cache of recent Federal Lake City.

How well will a Model 10 PC shoot Fed M193? Is this stuff capable of 2 MOA? 3? I had some 30 year Malaysian M193 that shot 3 MOA so am hoping modern Lake City will do better.

Thanks!

Re: Savage Precision Carbine shoot M193 worth a crap?

I have a Model 10 Precision Carbine in 308 win and it shoots very well!
photo4.jpg

100 yd
296749_2300228192694_1458865262_32543636_7606231_n.jpg

200M
Both are 5 shot groups.

The Savage is .223 not 5.56, says so right on their website.

Don't know why you would buy a "precision carbine" then run ball ammo through it.

If you really want to shoot it, you should have a wylde chamber reamer run in it.

Savage tends to chamber to minimum SAAMI spec, unlike remington.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Savage is .223 not 5.56, says so right on their website. </div></div>

Yes, thanks for clarifying. I still would like to shoot it enough that I'd want to shoot bulk ammo. What about the Federal bulk 223 or PMC? I would expect the rifle to shoot better with better ammo but willing to accept less accuracy from the bulk ammo. I'm just curious if someone else has any experience doing this with this bulk ammo? 2 MOA is OK for clanging steel.

FWIW:

My Savage 12FV will shoot put 10 rounds of UMC 55gr Metal Case into about 1.5" @ 100yd.

I know my Dad has bought several of the 100 round federal "bulk" packs from Wally World (about 40 bucks if memory serves). He reported surprisingly good accuracy.

I like the PMC .223 load, but it is definitely "ball ammo accuracy" from my sps tactical. I only shot a few rounds to see what accuracy potential it had. I quit shooting it in my SPS and relegated it to the AR, where it belongs.

If you want a low cost, reasonably accurate load. Go to the wideners website and order a battlepack of the Prvi Partizan 75 grain "match" load. It is not true match, but it is more accurate than "ball" ammo and is also a very good hog killer.
It costs more than M193, but less than match ammo.
Another good alternative is the Winchester white box, 40 round boxes of 45 grain varmint loads, sometimes available from wally world. That shit shoots VERY well, better than it should for the price, and if you want to shoot varmints, you'd be hard pressed to find something better.
I don't recommend the Prvi 69 grain load, it shot very poorly in my rifle.

Which of the 'cheaper' 223 ammos have the better reputation for accuracy? I'm used to shooting higher end varmint ammo in my bolt guns that is pricey so not too in tune with the lower end offerings Again, I'm just shooting steel from 100 to 300 yards.

I'm not an expert on this but shooting 5.56 in a tight .223 could be troublesome.

i have a savage 10PC in 223
i love it
did some ammo testing with handloads and factory stuff
it will shoot anything i fed it within 1,5 MOA even some fmj handloads i slapped together in a hurry with thrown charges that wont shoot for shit in my ar (about3moa)
it did very well with 69 grain S&B match shooting well under moa more than 10 rounds
the UMC FMJ stuff is also 1,5moa, just like some sako and RWS 55 grain loads i tried.
whith initial load developent, it liked especially the nosler 60 grain varmint bullets, the sierra 60 grain HP varmint and 53grain HP matchkings, around half MOA. i used VV135 powder and around 24.5 to 25 grain seemed the be the sweetspot for mine in rem cases and with cci small rifle magnum primers. i loaded all bullets so they would fit to an AR mag. im sure with further case prep and tweaking i can get it to improve some more.

no problem shooting ball out of the savage.
its build like a tank and and its capable of handling 338 lapua so 223 over spec pressure wont harm

Internet is saturated with reports of non issues with 556 in bolt guns chambered in 223.
I have not tried it, yet.
I have used some Remington 'value pack' 223 55gr. ball breaking in a 24" 5r and it held 1.25"@ 100 bipod / body, tough factory trigger.
Not sure I would try them on critters that large though. Ballistic tips I would hit them with personally.

I would use some hollowpoint or VMAX 223 if I shot at a groundhog.