• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Savage/Stevens Question, having been dense

Hunt4life

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2011
thinking that I needed to buy a .300RUM Actioned Savage/Steven for my next project it donned on me. Savage LA's all seem to be the same distance between the screws. So that lends me to ask, what changes would I need to make to a Savage/Stevens .300 Winchester to go to the RUM? Bolt size, will the magazine work?

I already have a 26" 1-10 Bull Barrel in .300 rum and a brake on the way.

If true the project just got even less expensive as there are a bunch of .300Win Mags out there but not many Rums anymore.

Re: Savage/Stevens Question, having been dense

All LA have the same screw spacing 5.062" as I remember...but your concern is shank size...what size shank does your RUM barrel have...as I recall it should Large shank...with a 1.115" to 1.200" thread diameter..dont recall that I've ever seen a small shank 300RUM...so your action choice is LA Large Shank. Several stock makers out there support the LA Savage...not as many as the SA or a Remmy but enough to do what your doing...

Also have not seen a Stevens Action in LA LS configuration...I might be wrong but I dont recall ever seeing one...

Capt Beach

bolthead, mag, and you have the barrel on the way

as was pointed out... make sure the shank size matches... if you get a large shank barrel, it can be recut and threaded to a small shank

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptBeach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All LA have the same screw spacing 5.062" as I remember...but your concern is shank size...what size shank does your RUM barrel have...as I recall it should Large shank...with a 1.115" to 1.200" thread diameter..dont recall that I've ever seen a small shank 300RUM...so your action choice is LA Large Shank. Several stock makers out there support the LA Savage...not as many as the SA or a Remmy but enough to do what your doing...

Also have not seen a Stevens Action in LA LS configuration...I might be wrong but I dont recall ever seeing one...

Capt Beach</div></div>

Thanks, so I will need a large shank, which rules out the Stevens. That is what I was looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bolthead, mag, and you have the barrel on the way</div></div>

So, I will need a larger bolt head and new magazine for the Large Shank I would buy?

Thanks,

H4L

I just measured the threads at 1.05" on the barrel I have.

I just did some checking...they DO make the RUM in a Small Shank...my screw up...So you CAN get a Stevens action for it...LA...just find a Stevens LA chambered in a MAGNUM caliber and you will be in like flint...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptBeach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just did some checking...they DO make the RUM in a Small Shank...my screw up...So you CAN get a Stevens action for it...LA...just find a Stevens LA chambered in a MAGNUM caliber and you will be in like flint... </div></div>

Thanks, now the bolt heads are back ordered at Midway but I got one on order anyway. Thinking I will put it in an XLR.

Ironic, that is where the barrel came from. Guess I should have checked.

RUM's on Savages do not "need" to be large shank. They work just fine and within acceptable limits of a standard small shank action.

All you need is to swap the barrel if you are starting with a 300win Stevens.

The magazine will be too short, you'll have to run it single shot. You can run an aftermarket DBM, but you'll still be limited to a fairly short magazine for a RUM.

You will also have to open up the barrel channel of the Stevens stock. Better yet, throw it away and get a good stock for it.