• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage's Rifling

Bonestorm

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2012
Madison, WI
I'm looking to buy a savage in .308 soon, however I'm a little confused on the rifling. If I am to understand correctly 5r rifling seems to be the way to go (Correct me if I'm wrong). Savage's site doesn't say what rifling each of their barrels have.

Does anyone on here know which models have the 5r rifling or know of a place that would go through that? I tried doing a search to no avail.

Thanks

Re: Savage's Rifling

If you goto Browse Models on Savage's website it will tell you the twist rates/barrel lengths of various models.

I believe 5R is a Remington thing tho.

It does say the twist and length but it doesn't say if it is 5R or not.

From what I have read, Savage does have 5R.

I don't believe Savage makes a barrel with 5r rifling (I could definitely be wrong). However, the actual benefit of 5r rifling is debateable.

Don't let the lack of 5r prevent you from buying a Savage. I have seen more than one stock out of the box Savage, with a little handload work, put 5 shots into a single ragged hole.

If I was buying an off the shelf rifle, I would buy Savage every time unless something changes with them.

Savage makes limited numbers of 5R rifled barrels on their tactical models. If it's 5R it says so, but you don't see many of them. Their regular rifles are button rifled with conventional lands and grooves and they shoot just as awesome as anybody's rifle. In my experience the only advantage to a 5R is it is easier to clean and doesn't pick up as much fouling when new. I've owned a Rem 700 5R and now shoot a Savage. The Savage was a copper fouling monster until it had 150 rounds through it, but shoots as well as the 5R ever did. Now that the Savage is broken in it's no different than any othe rifle for cleaning.

I have a savage 10 in 308 with 5r rifling. If you are interested I bought mine off of budsgunshop.com.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411540367/Savage+308+24+5R+THREAD+BL

I could never find my gun on Savages website or any where else for that matter. But they have come close it with with the Savage 10-SR. My rifle has the 5r rifling and 1-11.25 twist rate and threaded barrel as compared to the SR only has a 1-10 twist rate. PM me if you are looking for any more details.

According to many, the 5R is a gimmick anyway. Best to just get whatever rifle you like and shoot it. If it shoots well for you, then good. If not, you can always upgrade to a custom barrel later on. I'll take a quality match barrel of a factory magical 5R anytime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">According to many, the 5R is a gimmick anyway. Best to just get whatever rifle you like and shoot it. If it shoots well for you, then good. If not, you can always upgrade to a custom barrel later on. I'll take a quality match barrel of a factory magical 5R anytime. </div></div>

I would have to agree with you on this one. The reason I bought the Savage was to do a little competition between it and a buddies Remington 700 with a standard barrel. The 5r barrel makes no difference IMHO.

As far as I know the 5R Savage guns are Acusport exclusives so have your dealer check and see what they have in stock.

I would not worry about what kind of rifling they had and just buy one that has the features you want and go shoot

I say just buy the Savage and don't worry if its 5R or not, it wont make much of a difference if any and Savage rifles are already incredibly accurate without it.

FYI Thompson Center Icons have 5R barrels as well...I'd image there are others out there as well.

Thanks guys, one more question to narrow down my decision between two. Is a fluted barrel worth ~$40 price increase? Otherwise the same specs? eg: 10 FP-SR vs 10 FCP-K

There are things saying it helps with the rigidity of the barrel and helps with heat dispersal (more surface area makes sense)

I am taking the price of a compensator into the price consideration from the FCP-K.

I did see that the FP-SR doesn't come with an accustock but I am going to be getting a XLR evo chassis anyway so...

There are various opinions on the benefit of fluting. I would only consider it a weight reduction since everything else is specualtion or opinion. Just my opinion though...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bonestorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It does say the twist and length but it doesn't say if it is 5R or not.

From what I have read, Savage does have 5R. </div></div>
Yes and so does TC Arms.