• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Say good bye to your gas range.

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    In our experience, the ONLY thing that beats our gas cooktop, is 'induction cooking'. That really REALLY works well. Except for the fact that you're absolutely dependent on THEIR power supply. (Battery back-up doesn't quite cut it. Neither is the longevity of a generator)

God's stove.

1673334371257.png

Has the media been down to Obama's Vineyard home for comment after he buried two ten thousand gallon propane tanks in his yard? Wondering if it fires his cook top.

Maybe they are on their way but it will take awhile because they don't want to exceed the ocean speed limit dementia man is proposing.

Worried about asthma while mandating heart attacks. I guess it doesn't have to make sense.

In our experience, the ONLY thing that beats our gas cooktop, is 'induction cooking'. That really REALLY works well. Except for the fact that you're absolutely dependent on THEIR power supply. (Battery back-up doesn't quite cut it. Neither is the longevity of a generator)
    Correct. A good quality electric cook top is excellent. But they pull up to 3000-3500 watts alone. Definitely not feasible for most.

You what's funny about this?

Fukkem, that's what's funny.

I'm sure that they'll cut off new range sales as their means to enforce, however there are way too many poors out here who are running gas and won't be "upgrading". Add in the fact that power outages out here last several times longer than in the city, and it'll be a hard "no". It'll just be a lucrative repair market for old ranges in this neck of the woods. My friends and I all have gas ranges specifically for the power outage reason.

As mentioned above, our grids can't support their electric fairy tale dreams as it is right now. No way are we becoming more reliant on them for basic necessities in the future.

Reactions: hkguns and Maggot
    Well, electricity is the most efficient way to cook food or heat a home. No wasted energy unlike with gas. The main problem with electricity is the cost of it. I see talks of power outages being an issue which is true if you're living in some natural disaster ridden area, but the truth is the average home is never gonna experience a power outage in excess of an hour. I recently bought an electric kettle and it is by far the fastest way I've ever boiled water. I don't like using a microwave to boil water because I'm not ghetto and I don't like the stovetop because I hate racing to the kitchen to shut up the whistling kettle. Electric appliances are awesome, but I get everyone's point here that they don't like something forced upon them. I'm a Libertarian remember. :)

I miss having a gas stove. The electric stove kind of sucks but I'm not a chef so it doesn't bother me a great deal.

The cost of an all electric house hurts almost as bad as having a pineapple shoved up your ass.

• Haha
    Reactions: Maggot
    Have to get everyone on the same page, using electric heat electric stoves electric cars. That way it will be easier to control and nationalize the electric industry. (With total control over where all gas, oil, coal resources go). I didn’t used to be one of “those guys” but I’m certainly heading that way.

Reactions: atomic41
    Well, electricity is the most efficient way to cook food or heat a home. No wasted energy unlike with gas. The main problem with electricity is the cost of it. I see talks of power outages being an issue which is true if you're living in some natural disaster ridden area, but the truth is the average home is never gonna experience a power outage in excess of an hour. I recently bought an electric kettle and it is by far the fastest way I've ever boiled water. I don't like using a microwave to boil water because I'm not ghetto and I don't like the stovetop because I hate racing to the kitchen to shut up the whistling kettle. Electric appliances are awesome, but I get everyone's point here that they don't like something forced upon them. I'm a Libertarian remember. :)

No wasted energy? I think you might want to re think that.

What so many of what I call "all in electricity" people forget or choose to ignore is the generation of the little electrical pixies. And there is no free lunch there. The so called green methods are not really green. Look what is in a solar cell, heavy metals and they don't last forever or generate all that much for what has to go into them. Same with wind.

The answer that no one wants to admit is everything. We need to use everything we have, and have what we use in the places where it makes sense. Never happen.

Reactions: BurtG and NoDopes
    Not a refined process in those locations. Generally they just set the entire building on fire.

It is "mostly peaceful" cooking.
    That method does clear up the cockroach problem. Temporarily.

The byproduct of burning natural gas?

Water vapor
    Carbon dioxide (same as human breath!)

What's the problem here?

Those male children of cannines will have a serous, serious SERIOUS fight on their hands when they try to take my gas stove.

Cooked on electric stoves, wood stoves and gas/propane stoves. Wood is great, but gas/propane is the best. Electric is the pits. Yes, a fellow or lady can make edible food on an electric but it is a mess waiting to happen.

As far as carbon monoxide. Have a detector in our kitchen for years, the only time we ever hear it is when the battery needs to be changed.

Reactions: z987k
    Those male children of cannines will have a serous, serious SERIOUS fight on their hands when they try to take my gas stove.

Cooked on electric stoves, wood stoves and gas/propane stoves. Wood is great, but gas/propane is the best. Electric is the pits. Yes, a fellow or lady can make edible food on an electric but it is a mess waiting to happen.

As far as carbon monoxide. Have a detector in our kitchen for years, the only time we ever hear it is when the battery needs to be changed.
    They wont take your They'll just make it illegal to produce new ones, then cut off the gas supplies to homes, save it all for industry and power generation.

So the storm that knocked out power in my area for 9 days didn't happen?
    I was out for 14 days after an ice storm. Feeding a gas gen every 8 hrs to keep the fridge, freezers and furnace blower running sucked.

Amazing how I only needed to power a blower motor, I was nice and warm. Neighbors with all electric did not do so well.....but electric is the future right.

I was out for 14 days after an ice storm. Feeding a gas gen every 8 hrs to keep the fridge, freezers and furnace blower running sucked.

Amazing how I only needed to power a blower motor, I was nice and warm. Neighbors with all electric did not do so well.....but electric is the future right.
    Real solution is to have a whole home generator, with a battery pack to back it up. Nice if you had a small personal windmill to recharge the battery pack. In Kansas, where they have plentiful wind, home windmills are fairly common and work.

Problem is, if they cut off the gas, guess what is going to power the home generator? The government always has answers to questions that were never asked, solutions to problems that never existed. But then, government seems to exist to empower itself. Oh for the days when George and John were President. Neither perfect, but at least both knew when it was time to go home.

Reactions: BurtG
    Carbon monoxide poisoning has been linked to dimentia.
    Carbon Dioxide + Water

Only gives off carbon monoxide if something is wrong with the burner. Are they going to ban gas fireplaces and gas water heaters too?

Gives off all kinds of intermediary combustion byproducts. BTW the combustion of CO is the largest contribution to the heat in a NG flame.

Real solution is to have a whole home generator, with a battery pack to back it up. Nice if you had a small personal windmill to recharge the battery pack. In Kansas, where they have plentiful wind, home windmills are fairly common and work.

Problem is, if they cut off the gas, guess what is going to power the home generator? The government always has answers to questions that were never asked, solutions to problems that never existed. But then, government seems to exist to empower itself. Oh for the days when George and John were President. Neither perfect, but at least both knew when it was time to go home.

I am in MO, so yea I know how often the wind blows. We now have a whole house gen, 10kw. It runs on propane and we have only needed it for a few hours here and there. Living in the country you are usually at the end of some line somewhere.

Currently I am building a solar/wind/battery backup for the house. Going a bit slow as this stuff is a bit expensive, but plan is to have the ability to turn off the gen and save the propane when we can. My system is currently too small for anything but the furnace, so I will loose the food if it is warm-er outside, but baby steps I guess. Plus I am learning a great deal along the way. One reason I wanted to do it myself.

It will work for this, but again we have months were we see very little sun around this time of year. But it will help.....need more batteries.

I know some things I have done is "wrong" or not the most efficient, but it is the most available, 12v stuff for example. I can do lead acid as well as lifepo batteries, so I can have things covered there as well. If the spam does hit the fan we will not have fuel, but I can get batteries out of a dozen vehicles of all kinds and run something.

Reactions: NoDopes

That’s the stupidest title, I see electric kettles being used everywhere

Reactions: AZLONGRIDER
    Since natural gas is used to generate electricity followed by coal aren't they polluting the air causing health problems on a massive scale. If THEY use natural gas why can't WE use it .......

Carbon Dioxide + Water

Only gives off carbon monoxide if something is wrong with the burner. Are they going to ban gas fireplaces and gas water heaters too?
    Yep. We need all that gas for electrical generation so you can charge your electric car. Until we turn your electricity off. Because:

Fuck you serf.

No wasted energy? I think you might want to re think that.

What so many of what I call "all in electricity" people forget or choose to ignore is the generation of the little electrical pixies. And there is no free lunch there. The so called green methods are not really green. Look what is in a solar cell, heavy metals and they don't last forever or generate all that much for what has to go into them. Same with wind.

The answer that no one wants to admit is everything. We need to use everything we have, and have what we use in the places where it makes sense. Never happen.
    Exactamundo!

So many disregard what goes into the generation of those magical "electrical pixies," just as you mention. Just because the loss from outlet to appliance output is minimal, does not mean there might not be enormous loss in the generation and throughout the distribution network of that electricity, and the energy/material of the equipment used to generate/distribute; it all factors in.

Just like that stupid "hoorah" of the lasers doing the fusion..."Ooooh, it generated more energy than the laser output!!!" and the energy to power the damn lasers was ignored, which was 100x the laser output. Morons.

but the truth is the average home is never gonna experience a power outage in excess of an hour.

Um no, you are pretty wrong about that and I'm surprised you haven't seen what goes on sometimes in your own state.

Just a couple months back I had the power out to my house for like 10 hours when something went wrong with the local transformer.
    I had to go fire up the grill and cook my breakfast by gas.

Last month some of my friend were losing power nearby for the better part of a day at a time.

I'd say chances are a lot of the country houses have a time where they might lose power for a couple hours or more at least every couple years.

Even with wood you either have to own the land and cut, haul, split, store, the wood , or buy the wood which isnt cheap any more, and load the stove. And its dirty.

I grew up with and lived the first half of my life with wood heat. Now, given the opportunity, I'd prefer to turn a thermostat and hear that instant, comforting "Whoof" of the propane heater with an underground 1000 gallon tank, coming on. Maybe wood as a backup.