• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Scar-17 tips/tricks and ammo recommendations?

I have a Ford Mini-van and its weighs similar to a Corvette, so its just as good.........

Right, I forgot the SCAR is made of titanium and lubed with unicorn tears...

And I guarantee your minivan isn't as light as a Corvette either. :)

Last edited:
You and 99.9999999% of civilians could not even AFFORD to destroy a quality optic with a SCAR. Unless you are talking about old, unharded shit that breaks on any other gun as well.

If anything the SCAR has created MUCH better quality optics in recent years. It forced optic and laser companies to step up their game and design their products to be more rugged. XPS and EXPS exist because of the SCAR.

Wrong I shoot three gun and also train for work as a LEO I shoot thousands of rounds a year. Don't make assumptions it makes you look like an ass. The reality is competitive shooters shoot a lot more rounds than anyone in the military. I have had to check and change my zero constantly with the SCAR using a few different optics. First a Nightforce 2.5-10 in a Larue mount. Then a TR24 in a Warne mount. Now I am trying a Vortex 1-6 in a Bobro mount.

The AR series is definitely not better in all aspects to be considered more "well rounded" then the scar. The 5.56 ARs lack the power of the scar. The AR10 series rifles are very well known for being tempermental and thus unreliable. Sure advancements have come a ways from the AR10 market but even with those, one thing that hasnt gone away is the weight of those systems. SR25s with scope and bipod are easily pushing 14lbs. A scar with similar setup is closer to 11-12lbs. A reciprocating charging handle is not a deficiency. Its something you have to work around yes... but so is the muzzle. Dont wanna get bit by the charging handle? Im sure you dont want to get shot either... avoid the point that can cause harm. AK owners dont seem to bitch about the reciprocation. M1As, etc. And ya sure i bet you can blow out lenses on quality brand optics such as sun optics, barska, NC star. Ive read lots on how the scar is so hard on optics but have yet to see ANY hard evidence other then elcans and their uber shitty ARMS throw levers coming lose. I have zero issue with my vortex razor hd 1-6. It took me 6 months to decide on what optic to run.

The AR series is better. More accuracy more versatile more options etc. More proven. As for the .308 Try a Larue Predator same weight class. On the charging handle sure if you are just a FUD shooter plinking at the range at TV sets its no problem to keep your thumb out of the way. Not try actively shooting in training or in a match from around barricades and other akward positions where you have to change your hand position on the rifle and lean around and under things. Now its not so easy. This is the real world not your video game kid.

The AR series is better. More accuracy more versatile more options etc. More proven. As for the .308 Try a Larue Predator same weight class. On the charging handle sure if you are just a FUD shooter plinking at the range at TV sets its no problem to keep your thumb out of the way. Not try actively shooting in training or in a match from around barricades and other akward positions where you have to change your hand position on the rifle and lean around and under things. Now its not so easy. This is the real world not your video game kid.

More Accurate? No, equally accurate. The scar has proven to be a MOA gun. Shoots just as well as most other 308 AR series platforms, outshot the LWRC reaper on video. AR10s are more versatile huh? How so. Theyre longer, heavier, less reliable, and dirtier. What options are you talking about? How many of those options are truly necessary? None? Thought so. If you think you "need" more options then a pic rail for a scope, bipod and flashlight youre fooling yourself. Other then two of those, almost nothing else is necessary in a "match" like you seem to be so concerned with.

Were not turning this isn't a Larue thread. If the scar is so bad then why do you still own one? Why are you still attempting to put money into one? I didn't realize you had to be in matches to run barricade drills or simply fall to the ground and shoot from a position. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, quit being the dumbass at the match that gets a booboo on his thumb because he cant figure out where to hide it other then his posterior.

Kid? Lets not go there. Your signature says enough about you to show us you haven't been anything significant in this world. Only managed to keep breathing and exist a few days longer then me. Move along troll.

Sorry BS. I have several AR's and a SCAR and the SCAR is at best a 1.5 moa gun give or take with match reloads. These people talking SUB moa are always posting one 3 shot group not an average of several 5 shot groups. I have done a lot of load development and testing.
Feel free to look.
SCAR 17 Targets Photos by 355sigfan | Photobucket

As for my signature I have been a officer for 15 years and a firearms instructor for 13 of those years. I also shoot competitively and recently won the state championship 3 gun match up here in my division. So go play your video games kid and leave this thread for the adults. Also you are clearly the troll looking at your posts in the short couple of years you have been here on the Hide. I never said the SCAR was useless or a bad gun but its not without its problems and its not perfect nor does it deserve worship like you seem to think. You sound like a kid who has picked his one true sword while playing D&D in your moms basement.
Pat

Last edited:
Sorry BS. I have several AR's and a SCAR and the SCAR is at best a 1.5 moa gun give or take with match reloads. These people talking SUB moa are always posting one 3 shot group not an average of several 5 shot groups. I have done a lot of load development and testing.
Feel free to look.
SCAR 17 Targets Photos by 355sigfan | Photobucket

As for my signature I have been a officer for 15 years and a firearms instructor for 13 of those years. I also shoot competitively and recently won the state championship 3 gun match up here in my division. So go screw yourself kid. Also you are clearly the troll looking at your posts in the short couple of years you have been here on the Hide. I never said the SCAR was useless or a bad gun but its not without its problems and its not perfect nor does it deserve worship like you seem to think. You sound like a Kid who has picked his one true sword while playing D&D in your moms basement.
Pat

Suddenly we jumped to sub-moa groups again huh? I said MOA friend, you keep putting super low power optics on it and then complaining that it cant shoot groups of a 5-20 razor on your bolt guns. Gee, try something higher then 2.5-10? Operator error again. Youre the one that wanted to start the personal attacks. Not I. How am I worshipping and youre not? Honestly you keep whining about the scar being nothing when compared to the AR10 but youre not worshipping?. I never said it didn't have its downfalls and the downfalls are minimal, I said it was most well-rounded, which it is and that one of your complaints is simply your fault.

You chose to ignore 95% of my post on how its so much worse and go into chest thumping. Sounds par for the course with todays "peace officers". Your verbal judo sucks in de-escalating a situation, you must be great at your job as well. lol.

My scar is not my favorite rifle, its maybe 2nd or third. You came in here whining about the trigger, that you fixed and everyone is aware of, then moved to optics and only said its hard on them never stating anything that you know could be helpful to the post. Youre the troll.

Youre 40 and still using phrases like "moms basement" and "dungeons and dragons." True professionalism. Clearly age changes things? Moms basement is 550+ miles from my condo. My one paycheck is your months salary.

Another SCAR thread has gone to shit. What is it about this rifle that is so polarizing .

Another SCAR thread has gone to shit. What is it about this rifle that is so polarizing .

Right? Im sorry to have shit on the thread, I tried contributing to it properly before Farva had to make it personal.

EDIT: To answer your question, I think its that people get their hopes up so high when they finally drop 3k on it expecting it to be the only rifle needed in the safe. They expect no recoil, 1/4" groups, 8lbs loaded, not a single negative aspect and then they get it and realize its simply just a tool and designed to be useful in many situations, not all.

Then they go to bash it because of their own unattainable expectations. I wanted a relatively accurate, lightweight 308 semi auto that didn't have much for kick, honestly I feel I got that. Its not so lightweight once a 2lb razor is put on it and a 2.2lb mag is inserted but its still the hammer it was built to be.

Accuracy is to be determined with me as I just got the scope and haven't stopped working long enough to get to the range to really try it out. I don't expect 3/4" groups with my 1-6 vortex... I expect 1.25-1.5moa. With a 6-24x id expect better. I had a couple 2moa groups with irons and a couple that were better and worse. One was just over an inch. Fluke? probably. That's with the same super heavy but clean breaking trigger it came with.

Last edited:
Shooting good groups has nothing to do with magnification a good shooter knows that. I can shoot just as we'll with a 6 do scope Vs a 20 power one. So long as the target is clearly visible. Magnification helps you see better not shoot better kid. Also now we are comparing net worth like that has something to do with your flawed argument. But I grossed 70 k last year so if your making 140 k great I'm happy for you but you sound like a kid in his moms basement. The scar is not a moa rifle and it is easily out shot by the ar10 in the accuracy department

Your Salary Is Public Knowledge Chief.

I Dont Believe A Higher Power Scope Will Make A Gun More Accuate. It Allows The Shooter To Be More Accuate. Why Dont You Go Put An Aimpoint On Your Bolt Guns? Magnification Isnt Necessary Right?

Im Sure A Good Shooter Like You Can Still Do 1/4" Groups.

Im Done Responding To Your Child Like Responses.

First off I am not a chief and our pay scale is public knowledge not our actual take home. Regardless you still sound like a kid with no training or experience.

You put high magnification scopes on guns that you intend to shoot at distance where you can not see the target or on small targets that are also hard to see. Magnification does not make you more accurate it simply allows you to see the target. If you can do that with less magnification you will shoot just as well. I have actually tested this for some rifle classes I have taught using the same rifle using 2 scopes one a 1 to 6 Swarovski and the other my vortex razor 5 to 20. Most inexperienced shooters tend to over magnify because they think like you. But again a 40 x scope will not turn a Sks into a precision rifle

I hope the moderator comes through and cleans this up. Removes all the useless junk that this thread is now full of. If you don't like the SCAR go bitch somewhere else. This thread is for people who are using the SCAR and enjoy it. Useful information only. If you have a bone to pick do it through your available PMs. I don't care for M1As I don't go shitting all over the M1As threads just because someone is looking to better there use of one and they enjoy it. Come on here. Do you consider yourself a professional....? Then act like one! What a joke some of the responses are.

I am sure I am a rookie in firearms compared to many here and I have learned incredible amounts of info from the hide and it's people. I can tell you one of the most annoying things about reading any thread on any forum is sorting through the dog shit comments that are worthless and have no value to a specific thread. It's frustrating to say the least. Common courtesy people. Use your head. Don't be a uneducated fool.

Last edited:
Wrong I shoot three gun and also train for work as a LEO I shoot thousands of rounds a year. Don't make assumptions it makes you look like an ass. The reality is competitive shooters shoot a lot more rounds than anyone in the military. I have had to check and change my zero constantly with the SCAR using a few different optics. First a Nightforce 2.5-10 in a Larue mount. Then a TR24 in a Warne mount. Now I am trying a Vortex 1-6 in a Bobro mount.
Yet you do not even come close to the amount of rounds someone issues a mk17 will shoot nor will you be doing it on auto(which is where the issue comes from). Also sounds like you need to use a google machine and find out what a torque wrench is.

Some think its the greatest .30 caliber rifle ever made while others see it as just another rifle with different capabilities.
Imply to a Scar fan-boys that their rifle is not the best ever then enjoys the drama.

the rifle was most likely designed for NATO ball. what is it 1x11 twist . close to standard m1a twist rates.

Cobra uter I shoot more than most soldiers outside of the AMU as do nearly all serious completion shooters. Don't assume it makes you look like an ass. The scar is an ok rifle with some good and bad characteristics. It's not the best or worst

As an armorer I am quite familiar with a torque wrench and don't need google. Now for a kid with no experience outside of video games I am sure google is a great tool for you. Lol

Such a shame that a thread designed to elicit meaningful insights and suggestions on how to make the SCAR 17 a better tool gets high-jacked by A$$-holes showboating their inferiority complexes.
Skip

As an armorer I am quite familiar with a torque wrench and don't need google. Now for a kid with no experience outside of video games I am sure google is a great tool for you. Lol

Yea, DID play a ton of Halo 2 tourney's while I wasn't fixing and wrenching on 16's, 4's, 203's 9's,249's, 2's, 19's, our shotties and other assigned weapons durring OIF. Some of us were ACTUALY armorers in the military/deployed.

I guess the little picture under my name is some sort of video game tag, right? Oh you took a Colt or a Glock civilian course..........I guess your Larry Vickers now.

Must be fun ripping of ignorant students who think you operator tier 1 beacuse you trained with some dounut munching poleeeece department. Do you wear 5.11 pants , a riggers belt and a shemagh? "let me tell you about this one time where I was knee deep in hand grenade pins and .50cal shells, they ran out of grape jelly filled, it was like being on a mountian in afg......"

Last edited:
Oh and 26 posts in 10+ years? Looks like you already made your yearly quota troll.

Yea, DID play a ton of Halo 2 tourney's while I wasn't fixing and wrenching on 16's, 4's, 203's 9's,249's, 2's, 19's, our shotties and other assigned weapons durring OIF. Some of us were ACTUALY armorers in the military/deployed.

I guess the little picture under my name is some sort of video game tag, right? Oh you took a Colt or a Glock civilian course..........I guess your Larry Vickers now.

Must be fun ripping of ignorant students who think you operator tier 1 beacuse you trained with some dounut munching poleeeece department. Do you wear 5.11 pants , a riggers belt and a shemagh? "let me tell you about this one time where I was knee deep in hand grenade pins and .50cal shells, they ran out of grape jelly filled, it was like being on a mountian in afg......"
Tell you what I bet this donut munching police officer can clean your clock at the range. Have a nice life kid you are not worth my time.
Pat

The very best tha is.

Attachments

• IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    795.9 KB · Views: 41
Cool! How did you get the PRS on there?

There are stock adapters.

That is a sweet looking rig, minus the larue mount :) Steel levers that are known to wander out of spec vs an alluminum reciever............what could go wrong.

The very best tha is.

What does that weigh set up like that?

I'd be interested to see a picture of a SCAR with the adapter and a CTR or something like that...what's the stock/adapter weight combination in comparison to the OEM stock?

Last edited:
There are stock adapters.

That is a sweet looking rig, minus the larue mount :) Steel levers that are known to wander out of spec vs an alluminum reciever............what could go wrong.

Yes, but which one? I am looking hard at the Vltor adapter since it provides height adjustment and allows for using a carbine stock, but one that allows for a rifle stock like a Luth-ar might do the trick nicely.

The stock adapter is Lovell Precision ($150). I had to have one that had a round hole instead of the round+rail like the positional stock adapters. As far as weight....15.6 as it is with the mini sure fire on opposite side, full(25) round magazine and the M82 carry handle that wasn't in the first pics. Not toooo bad, really. As far as the scope mount from LaRue, no problems yet. 1000 rounds. A week ago I received the new SightMark Pinnacle Scope with the .308 reticle. Fresh off the boat from Japan. Not sure if they are selling yet. I'm a NF guy all the way, but this pinnacle is a quality piece. I'm gonna try it out in a couple days. I have a AGM-MFG. mount for it. I just took out a Timney 3.5 single stage which I love and put in the SuperScar 2 stage yesterday. Haven't tried it yet. Will keep both. I'll try to answer y'all's questions guys. I'm just a cowboy hick in East TEXAS who enjoys the finer things in life to go with my fried crappie and sweet-tea.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 47
The stock adapter is Lovell Precision ($150). I had to have one that had a round hole instead of the round+rail like the positional stock adapters. As far as weight....15.6 as it is with the mini sure fire on opposite side, full(25) round magazine and the M82 carry handle that wasn't in the first pics. Not toooo bad, really. As far as the scope mount from LaRue, no problems yet. 1000 rounds. A week ago I received the new SightMark Pinnacle Scope with the .308 reticle. Fresh off the boat from Japan. Not sure if they are selling yet. I'm a NF guy all the way, but this pinnacle is a quality piece. I'm gonna try it out in a couple days. I have a AGM-MFG. mount for it. I just took out a Timney 3.5 single stage which I love and put in the SuperScar 2 stage yesterday. Haven't tried it yet. Will keep both. I'll try to answer y'all's questions guys. I'm just a cowboy hick in East TEXAS who enjoys the finer things in life to go with my fried crappie and sweet-tea.

15.6, wow. I imagine it is stable to shoot at least.

It's an extremely stable platform and a mild kick. Easy to remain on target with fast consecutive rounds. I'm ditching the muzzle break when my can arrives because it's so damn loud. But the break is extremely effective on this particular platform as far as countering muzzle rise. I'm gonna spray paint the whole thing when it comes in. I have many colors of Duracoat and have done many weapons, but I can't bring myself to do this one yet. So just spray paint for now. Only thing I might do in the future is get the shorter PRS stock and hook it to a folding mechanism. Not sure yet. I know this is more info than you were curious about Skeld1, just discussing the gun.

I've been wondering if that mount is gonna work loose or not. Ive heard of them coming loose on aluminum receivers but for some freak of nature....they seem to be working fine on the 17's. Matter of fact, i didn't even tighten the lock nut on the levers when i mounted it. i was kindav expecting it to come loose already. I have some other mounts ready to replace it if works loose. I shot 125 rounds at DFW gun range last week and that SOB is still holding zero after 1000 rounds. Ive even had it on and off a dozen times. we'll see.

You need to just keep an eye on the rail surfaces at your mounting locations. Larue mounts can and will cause damage to them which can lead to lack of alignment. I thought that was internet lore until I got my first and last Larue mount for a T-1. One lock, gouged rail...

It's all ADM or GDI for my QD mounts now.

So I took the SCAR out to the range today with the new geissele trigger installed and my first set of hand loads worked up for it plus some nosler match 175gr ammo. Shooting off cheap bags front and rear at 100yds.
10pnfcl.jpg

I have learned that the gun likes to be used aggressively now, meaning lean into it. Harder, much harder then you'd expect but it tightened all of my groups up and when I was consistent with my cheek weld, my strong hand grip and my eye alignment, the gun performed very well. (When you're consistent, so are your tools.)
1pcc1s.jpg

I personally only do 3shot groups (bash away) but afterwards I simply mark where all the rounds hit from my aiming point (Pics to follow). I then can average groups and total rounds into one figure.

I loaded 45 cases, 9rds per powder amount starting from 42gr varget and working up .3-.4grains.

I first shot the box of 20 noslers and the entire box (5, 3rd groups and 1, 5rd group) averaged 1.083" the 4th group of 3 shots averaged .619", the 5th group did .973" and the last group, the 5 shot group did 1.559" (if not for one round that group would have been well under an inch)

The first hand loaded group started out extremely promising at .470" center to center. The remaining two 3shot groups did 1.012 and 1.572

The black dots indicate where the other rounds from the other groups of the same powder charge hit, for a total of 9.
2n7f9jn.jpg

I believe my best set of groups for the day was from my last set of hand loads. All 9 rounds measured at 1.332", between the 3 groups, the average was 1.184" and the entire series of groups was right on top of point of aim.
wspid4.jpg

All in All, of the 45 hand loaded rounds I fired the average group size was 1.167" and the average among the entire day was 1.125". And that was with only my first attempt of hand loading for a 308. Velocity was averaged at 2394fps with my last group which was my preferred load after seeing all this data.

More work needs to be done but its elk season and im off with a bow and arrow for the next week and a half. My only complaint of the rifle itself is the possibility of a wandering zero from recoil (still to be confirmed) and the cheek riser beats the living piss out of the cheek bone from recoil due to its angle.

NOT BAD FOR A BATTLE RIFLE.

the rifle was most likely designed for NATO ball. what is it 1x11 twist . close to standard m1a twist rates.

Are you sure about that? My understanding it was design to shoot the 175gr that we have in inventory. Mine likes the 178gr AMAX with RL15 and Lapua brass. I am getting 1/25 MOA group at 100 and hitting IPSC target at 600 with this load all day.

Last edited:
The twist rate is 1 in 12 which one would think is a bit slow for a heavy grain bullet but it shoots them better then the 150gr fmjs

Bobro Engineering will be coming out with a new scope mount for the Scar in the near future. I think it will be compatible (mounting wise) with the Nightforce 2.5-10x42 NXS scope, some mounts like the ADM Delta mount are not. Also Midwest Industries now has a new keymod hand guard for the FN Scar that might give some users more options.

https://www.facebook.com/bobroengineering

NEW Keymod handguard for the FN Scar

As for the practical accuracy of the Scar 17, the guy in the following vid link seems to be doing okay with his out at 805 yds with his 10x scope in the GDI QD mount. IMHO, *one* of the things in getting the most consistent accuracy from your Scar 17, is the scope mount, so choose wisely, because one that you think is good enough, might not be good enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEVzl0n5Hsk

Last edited:
I just wish they were a little more accurate.

You haven't shot a type of ammo that your gun likes. I haven't seeing one that does not shoot really well even though it is not a floating barrel. The SCAR 17 is very, very accurate. Mine shoots 178gr or 175gr really well.

I have tested a few types of bullets but here are a couple of options if you want to try on yours...

Attachments

• FN SCAR 17 S group Hornady 178gr.JPG
    FN SCAR 17 S group Hornady 178gr.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Scar group 110gr 2,900 fps.JPG
    Scar group 110gr 2,900 fps.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 41
What load did you work up for that group? That's pretty impressive.

please dont cry and throw rocks at me ......one of the first mods and save money is this .....SCAR25 | Handl Defense this was NOT out when i was looking at another semi-auto 308 platform ....

That's some fine shooting right there, especially from a battle rifle platform. It looks like you've got a load dialed in for that 17. Nice!

please dont cry and throw rocks at me ......one of the first mods and save money is this .....SCAR25 | Handl Defense this was NOT out when i was looking at another semi-auto 308 platform ....
I've heard some not so good things about this lower. Maybe check out the Stryker lower if your going to replace the FN lower.

I've heard some not so good things about this lower. Maybe check out the Stryker lower if your going to replace the FN lower.
Take this for what it's worth from me. I don't own a SCAR 17 yet. I'm picking up one next month when I get home, and have been reading a metric fuck-ton on it in preparation. What else can I do from south Asia, right?

Handl had a early batch that was out of spec, and they were taken care of. Score one for the customer service. They've gone through a considerable amount of testing throughout the program with both civilian and SOF elements, and seem to be doing well now after tightening up on the QA/QC side of the house.

On the Stryker "S.E.A.L."... Two years since announcement and still vaporware. I heard they're shipping at the same time as the S&B 1-8x PMII.

In all my online research I've come to one conclusion for sure: fnforum makes ARFCOM look mature and unbiased. Moderating of contradicting points of view seems to be VERY alive and well there. Way to grow guys, way to grow. Stalin wants his website back.

For me though? I'm going OEM after Brownells ran a $50 off >$300 purchase deal. Bought seven FN mags for $275 shipped and still came in cheaper than either of the copy lowers. And I have a dozen PMags and a couple KAC from my other rifles even. Can't wait to get the SCAR and beat the shit out of it in testing.

I don't know about your factory trigger, but on mine I can actually pull the trigger a millimeter or two rearward and it will just stick there if I relax my finger. That's pretty bad!

My 17S trigger was exactly the same plus a measured 8.1 lb trigger pull. I really liked the SCAR 17'S light weight and tried to get it to shoot consistent 100 yard 5 shot groups. I tried Varget, W748, 4064 and 4895 with 168 and 175 SMK's. Worked the loads in 0.2 grain increments weighing every charge. Some times I would get groups slightly under 1 moa, my best was one 0.766 moa group. Most of the groups were between 1.25 and 1.75 moa. usually i'd get 3 shots well under 1 moa and 2 that would open the groups up. After a year of working the loads I finally gave up and sold it during the frenzy. I thought about putting a Geissele in the 17S. I did that with my 16S which help the groups slightly. From pretty consistent 1.3 moa on average to just over 1moa. I chose not to because of the inconsistency of the 17S groups. I never had the same inconsistent group problems with either my LMT MWS, POF P-308 or HK MR762. In hind sight perhaps I should have tried the Geissele trigger since the heavy trigger really gave me problems.

Last edited: