• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Scope bases, to bed or not to bed?

StogieC

The Eternal Pogue
Minuteman
The last time I had to ask myself whether or not to bed (insert noun), I was a young single man.

Resigned to the fact that factory rifle actions are not usually micrometer true, I sat down in front of my new .308 Remington 700P with the new scope base rail, thin feeler gauges, some paper, paydoh, kiwi polish, JB Weld, and a torque driver ready to get to work bedding the base.

Snugged down the front of the base, and nothing fit under the back. Dang it, going to have to bed the front and loose a little bit of my 20 MOA... Right?

So I pulled the front screws and snugged down the back of the rail. Neither paper nor my smallest gauge would go under the front either.

Could it be true? The receiver is completely true?

So I just torqued all of the screws down to spec, payed with my playdoh for a while, shined some neglected boots, and put everything else back in the tool box.

Did I miss something?

Last edited:
Lucky! I just got my base in today, i thought i was in the clear until i tried sliding the paper in from the side, time to bed. Looks like i'll be ordering some Devcon. Its ok tho i need to bed some flush cups and maybe do i little texturing while I'm at it.

Could it be true? The receiver is completely true?

Did I miss something?

I had the exact same experience two weeks ago with with my Rem 700 AAC-SD. I had all my stuff laid out, lightly tightened down the front of my Badger rail, and had the same reaction as you. Your post made me chuckle. Undoing the front and snugging down the rear had the same result. I guess you get a good one every once in a while....