• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SCOPE for an AR with a 16 inch barrel (5.56)

scorpio 25

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2005
Looking for a scope under 1K with at least 20x right now. the vortex pst gen 1 2.5x10 is not cutting it. time to upgrade i looked at the ARKEN just not sure about those saw a bushnell elite tact with the h59 ret and it was a 3.5x21 then there is burris just not sure what to get .But i also need something to get me out to 800yds with no problem also.any recomendations would be great.I have BEEN through all the threads and still cant decide.If its a little over 1K fine just in that price range though.wondering about the NF NX8 line not too many people on board with those

Looking for a scope under 1K with at least 20x right now. the vortex pst gen 1 2.5x10 is not cutting it. time to upgrade i looked at the ARKEN just not sure about those saw a bushnell elite tact with the h59 ret and it was a 3.5x21 then there is burris just not sure what to get .But i also need something to get me out to 800yds with no problem also.any recomendations would be great.I have BEEN through all the threads and still cant decide.If its a little over 1K fine just in that price range though.wondering about the NF NX8 line not too many people on board with those
I feel you man. Just took mine out with my new pst gen 2 2.5-10x32 and Idk if I'm the biggest fan of it. I'm hoping the NXS 2-10x42 will be better for my Mod 0 clone but I'm skeptical.

I feel you man. Just took mine out with my new pst gen 2 2.5-10x32 and Idk if I'm the biggest fan of it. I'm hoping the NXS 2-10x42 will be better for my Mod 0 clone but I'm skeptical.
The 10x is not cutting it for me anymore

That seems something to consider but then alot of guys are saying in the ARKEN thread that they would get the arken over the vortex anyday so what to do?
I haven't seen the thread. Are they referencing the Razor, PST, Strike Eagle, or Venom?

That seems something to consider but then alot of guys are saying in the ARKEN thread that they would get the arken over the vortex anyday so what to do?
I hope to be able to compare the Arken to the Vortex on saturday.
So far the Arken glass appears to have a better image that brighter and clearer.
Whether it will return to zero or hold zero will be the test.

Both scopes mounted on AR10's.

I hope to be able to compare the Arken to the Vortex on saturday.
So far the Arken glass appears to have a better image that brighter and clearer.
Whether it will return to zero or hold zero will be the test.

Both scopes mounted on AR10's.
Let me know how it goes

Reactions: MadDuner
Just curious why you are trying to hit 800yds with a 16" barrel?

To me a 16" is fast and light, 20x and 800 yards would be in 20-24" varmint barrel territory to me.

It's a little more, but the Vortex Razor LHT 4,5-22x50 open box model fits the bill

And to think, Gilliland made a kill at 1376 yards with a 10X scope.
Yep, magnification must be the problem.
eyes are not what they used to be 10x does not cut it anymore so yes magnification is a problem for me

No personal experience with the XTR3, but that's what I would try. The Bushnell Elite tacticals are nice, the 4.5-18 is in your budget, so is the used DMR2. Those 3 have good reticles, significantly more mag than the 10x you currently have and all 3 are known to be reliable scopes.

No personal experience with the XTR3, but that's what I would try. The Bushnell Elite tacticals are nice, the 4.5-18 is in your budget, so is the used DMR2. Those 3 have good reticles, significantly more mag than the 10x you currently have and all 3 are known to be reliable scopes.
thanks will check those out

whats your take on the bushnell xtreme tactical HDMR2 / 3x21x50 with the H59 ret.

whats your take on the bushnell xtreme tactical HDMR2 / 3x21x50 with the H59 ret.
I have that scope on my 18 inch gas gun. The H59 is a BUSY reticle. I’d you have issues with your eyes, I’d say go with another reticle option.

Other than that, the scope is good. I’ve shot it out to 500 many times.

Reactions: scorpio 25
Arken sells direct, so they offer a refund option if you're unsatisfied with your purchase. Their customer service is very on-point. They also offer a lifetime warrant and precision tracking guarantee. Seems like a win-win to me? If you don't like it, you can get a full refund (or sell it). If you like it, you get a great scope at a good price.

Arken sells direct, so they offer a refund option if you're unsatisfied with your purchase. Their customer service is very on-point. They also offer a lifetime warrant and precision tracking guarantee. Seems like a win-win to me? If you don't like it, you can get a full refund (or sell it). If you like it, you get a great scope at a good price.
25% off sale right now at Arken.

I hope it works as well as my Vortex PST.

25% off sale right now at Arken.

I hope it works as well as my Vortex PST.
If you got an EP5, the glass will be just as good. My EP5's glass is better (to my eyes) than my Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C. I like both scopes, but the ED glass does have a slight clarity edge to it.

If you got an EP5, the glass will be just as good. My EP5's glass is better (to my eyes) than my Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C. I like both scopes, but the ED glass does have a slight clarity edge to it.

So are you saying the EP5 glass is about equal to the PST Gen2? Thinking about getting a 22lr rifle, but considering another PST Gen2 (I have 2 from Europtic) or an Arken EP5.

So are you saying the EP5 glass is about equal to the PST Gen2? Thinking about getting a 22lr rifle, but considering another PST Gen2 (I have 2 from Europtic) or an Arken EP5.
Well, everyone's eyes are different, so some folks will think it's better, some will think it's worse, and some will SAY the PST is better simply because it costs more, and they feel the need to validate their spent money. It is what it is. I used to sell optics back in the day, and we sold everything from Tasco to NF to Swaro, Zeiss, Kahles, and S&B. I've even shot through a few Hensoldt scopes before (not mine). I've spent tons of time selling, mounting, sighting-in, and zeroing and shooting through these brands back then. And customers ranged from podunk hunters all the way up to true optics snobs, SF snipers, ritzy lawyers and doctors, and some who were just snobs in general. LOL

I've seen it all. I've seen people who thought every scope under $2,500 (probably closer to $3,500 today) was trash, and I've seen folks try to justify their Leupold VX2 against a Zeiss simply because they couldn't afford the Zeiss, so they talked shit about it. It's childish, and low-IQ, but there's lots of those folks out there.

And based on all my experience, I've discovered some very unpopular truths and developed some very unpopular personal opinions about alpha-tier optics that most folks don't like. And I'll keep those to myself for this thread so not to derail it.

I've only experienced comparing a couple of Arken EP5's, and only one PST Gen2 5-25x50 that I got to look through at the range helping a guy sight his rifle in. IMO (thought my eyes), the glass of the EP5 was nearly identical, but I think it was slightly brighter. Which I think is partly due to the 34mm tube of the Arken vs. the 30mm tube of the PST Gen2. Also, the ED glass is very clear with minimal CA. The PST had pretty good glass, but it had nearly the same CA and clarity as the EP5. The owner of the PST Gen2 looked through it and said, "Damn! I wished I'd seen one of these before buying the Vortex, I could have saved some money!" So, I guess his eyes were similar to mine?

Reactions: GhostFace
Meopta Optika6, 3-18x50, has a number of good reticles to choose from. The glass is exceptional, on par with my Athlon Cronus BTR Gen II 4.5-29x56 (Japanese glass) at half the price. I know it's not quite 20X but blind testing, you'd never notice the additional reach of 20X over 18X. Very happy with it and I'm using one with the MRAD1 reticle: https://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/...ositoryDoc/Root/Reticles/reticle-MRad1-RD.pdf

My only nit picks would be the windage adjustment as it's a bit stiff and it's easy to get 2-3 clicks when you want just one. It's also larger than it needs to be but I never noticed that in isolation. Wasn't until I got the Cronus 4.5-29 in which is ever so slightly smaller in overall length.

Mounted on a POF Revolution DI.

Here it is next to a Primary Arms 3-18 which is more compact but zero comparison in glass quality and the Meopta reticle is better for precision shooting.

If you shop around, you can find a deal on them. I believe they have .223 reticles available as well

Well, everyone's eyes are different, so some folks will think it's better, some will think it's worse, and some will SAY the PST is better simply because it costs more, and they feel the need to validate their spent money. It is what it is. I used to sell optics back in the day, and we sold everything from Tasco to NF to Swaro, Zeiss, Kahles, and S&B. I've even shot through a few Hensoldt scopes before (not mine). I've spent tons of time selling, mounting, sighting-in, and zeroing and shooting through these brands back then. And customers ranged from podunk hunters all the way up to true optics snobs, SF snipers, ritzy lawyers and doctors, and some who were just snobs in general. LOL

I've seen it all. I've seen people who thought every scope under $2,500 (probably closer to $3,500 today) was trash, and I've seen folks try to justify their Leupold VX2 against a Zeiss simply because they couldn't afford the Zeiss, so they talked shit about it. It's childish, and low-IQ, but there's lots of those folks out there.

And based on all my experience, I've discovered some very unpopular truths and developed some very unpopular personal opinions about alpha-tier optics that most folks don't like. And I'll keep those to myself for this thread so not to derail it.

I've only experienced comparing a couple of Arken EP5's, and only one PST Gen2 5-25x50 that I got to look through at the range helping a guy sight his rifle in. IMO (thought my eyes), the glass of the EP5 was nearly identical, but I think it was slightly brighter. Which I think is partly due to the 34mm tube of the Arken vs. the 30mm tube of the PST Gen2. Also, the ED glass is very clear with minimal CA. The PST had pretty good glass, but it had nearly the same CA and clarity as the EP5. The owner of the PST Gen2 looked through it and said, "Damn! I wished I'd seen one of these before buying the Vortex, I could have saved some money!" So, I guess his eyes were similar to mine?
Don't tease us, what's your opinion on the alpha scopes? Most people don't live next to Europtics or mile high so purchases are made on community feedback... Let's hear it!

Meopta Optika6, 3-18x50, has a number of good reticles to choose from. The glass is exceptional, on par with my Athlon Cronus BTR Gen II 4.5-29x56 (Japanese glass) at half the price. I know it's not quite 20X but blind testing, you'd never notice the additional reach of 20X over 18X. Very happy with it and I'm using one with the MRAD1 reticle: https://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/...ositoryDoc/Root/Reticles/reticle-MRad1-RD.pdf

My only nit picks would be the windage adjustment as it's a bit stiff and it's easy to get 2-3 clicks when you want just one. It's also larger than it needs to be but I never noticed that in isolation. Wasn't until I got the Cronus 4.5-29 in which is ever so slightly smaller in overall length.

Mounted on a POF Revolution DI.

Here it is next to a Primary Arms 3-18 which is more compact but zero comparison in glass quality and the Meopta reticle is better for precision shooting.

If you shop around, you can find a deal on them. I believe they have .223 reticles available as well
never thought of meopta before looks intresting

(snip)

When I see someone crediting the bigger main tube for increased brightness, I get confused. I just don't understand how that's even possible for riflescope like these, given that the EP5 has 32MIL of elevation adjustment range compared to the 20MIL of elevation for the PST Gen2.

On the other hand, comparing the PST Gen2 5-25X with a 50mm objective to the EP5 5-25X with its 56mm objective, will most probably show that the EP5 is going to be noticeably brighter at equivalent magnifications.

Reactions: leendertp
When I see someone crediting the bigger main tube for increased brightness, I get confused. I just don't understand how that's even possible for riflescope like these, given that the EP5 has 32MIL of elevation adjustment range compared to the 20MIL of elevation for the PST Gen2.

On the other hand, comparing the PST Gen2 5-25X with a 50mm objective to the EP5 5-25X with its 56mm objective, will most probably show that the EP5 is going to be noticeably brighter at equivalent magnifications.
Not only does the larger tube allow for more adjustment, but it houses larger lenses. Larger lenses means more light can be transferred…Same with objective lenses (50mm vs. 56mm) and ocular lenses.

maybe trying an ARKEN might not be bad

Not only does the larger tube allow for more adjustment, but it houses larger lenses. Larger lenses means more light can be transferred…Same with objective lenses (50mm vs. 56mm) and ocular lenses.
I disagree: A larger tube is a 3-way switch: 1- Larger internal lenses OR 2- more adjustment OR thicker tube wall. It's not a combination of 2 or more of those, we are talking minuscule here. The erector tube is usually pretty standard in size, around 19mm OD. I still say that the reason for increased brightness is due to the difference between a 50mm objective and a 56mm objective.

i also need something to get me out to 800yds with no problem also.

I just clicked on this thread and that's the first thing that jumped out to me.

I ran my 16" AR for years with a 1-4x optic. With that setup I was able to hit an 800 yard plate with boring regularity.

I will leave it up to others for specific recommendations. A lot of people here are more knowledgeable about specific optics than I am.

The Arkens are pretty heavy for a 16" AR...

Crimson Trace 6-24

This a good option. As best I can tell, these are the Scopes Nikon sold as their top of the line model. Should be in the 24-26 oz range.

Otherwise, the aforementioned Sightron S3 is a good, light option, ~23 oz. Cough cough, I have one for sale.

Beyond that, the Razor LHT FFP is very nice and ~22.5 oz. Liberty had these for an amazing price for their anniversary. Maybe wait for a sale to bring it close/in your range.

If you're good with the 30 oz range, the XTR3 3.3-18 is great option.

If you're good with the Arkens weight, the older Bushnell XRS2's often sell used in your price range. They're great optics.

Edit: the Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18 can be had used for 700ish. Good glass and weighs in at 27.4 oz.

I disagree: A larger tube is a 3-way switch: 1- Larger internal lenses OR 2- more adjustment OR thicker tube wall. It's not a combination of 2 or more of those, we are talking minuscule here. The erector tube is usually pretty standard in size, around 19mm OD. I still say that the reason for increased brightness is due to the difference between a 50mm objective and a 56mm objective.
My final thought on the "this or that" possibilities... We can argue about it all day long, or you can do like the rest of us did, and buy one and see for yourself and compare it to other optics you own. 🤷🏼

My final thought on the "this or that" possibilities... We can argue about it all day long, or you can do like the rest of us did, and buy one and see for yourself and compare it to other optics you own. 🤷🏼
true there are so many its hard to decide

The Arkens are pretty heavy for a 16" AR...

Crimson Trace 6-24

This a good option. As best I can tell, these are the Scopes Nikon sold as their top of the line model. Should be in the 24-26 oz range.

Otherwise, the aforementioned Sightron S3 is a good, light option, ~23 oz. Cough cough, I have one for sale.

Beyond that, the Razor LHT FFP is very nice and ~22.5 oz. Liberty had these for an amazing price for their anniversary. Maybe wait for a sale to bring it close/in your range.

If you're good with the 30 oz range, the XTR3 3.3-18 is great option.

If you're good with the Arkens weight, the older Bushnell XRS2's often sell used in your price range. They're great optics.

Edit: the Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18 can be had used for 700ish. Good glass and weighs in at 27.4 oz.
Whats your take on the HORUS VISION with the TREMOR 5

I just clicked on this thread and that's the first thing that jumped out to me.

I ran my 16" AR for years with a 1-4x optic. With that setup I was able to hit an 800 yard plate with boring regularity.

I will leave it up to others for specific recommendations. A lot of people here are more knowledgeable about specific optics than I am.
Yea on our KD ranges I would regularly swap from my m110 and m4 with acog at 800. Like you said boring until a flock of turkeys decided to traverse the range lol. With that being said I love my xtr3 on my 16”. But different builds for different situations. I’m want to shoot minute of angle now at distance. With the acog it was minute of man at distance. Both did great.