• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing scope mounting screw removal

eddybo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
MS
I was just trying to pull some of those little junk screws remington blocks off the scope mounting screws with. The little bugger just spins and spins and did I mention spins without coming up enough for me to grab it at all.

I have had several of those little screws do this in the past but always was able to get them up enough to extract them with neddle nose pliers. I do not see any hope of that with this one.

I decided I would drill a little hole in it and then be able to pull up on it with a little tap threaded in the hole. No dice the drill just spins the whole screw.

If it were the hole over the front action screw I could get it out, but of course this is the blind hole over the barrel shank. I hate to pull a barrel just to get the damn thing out, any suggestions advice for geting it out?

Re: scope mounting screw removal

Let me guess...... Same story?

Please take photos.

The dealer I bought mine from was great working with me. He shipped me a replacement yesterday and I dropped off my "old" one at my FFL to be shipped back. Now I am out of pocket shipping back to my dealer (not his fault) plus I have to pay another FFL fee.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1042009#Post1042009

edit- my recommendation is that we find Mr. Tommy Millner (CEO Remington) and let him read through what is leaving his factories, and the thoughts of those buying his products.

One of my friends is in the market to purchase a Remington or Marlin 30/30... he was bouncing between which one to purchase. I will let you guess what he is going to pick up today after hearing/seeing my story.

if it spins easly then just use a small dab of super glue on the screw driver to hold on to it.

worst case , use a little bit of locktite , so that it will seap down into the screw hole , let it setup then drill and use a small easy out to get a bite on it , heat it up and back it out.

Thanks James....the superglue idea should work. If I could get a good grip even with my fingernails I could get it out. If not I have resigned myself to pulling the barrel and coming through the botton with an allen wrench to put some upward pressure on it while I unscrew it. I just wanted to avoid pulling the barrel I screwed on the action.
I am building a 300WSM for my buddies preacher so I want to do a good job. You never know he may say a prayer for me that will tip that scale.
Your going to have to send me something to chamber. My work is getting pretty good IMO. Don is even saying "there aint nothing wrong with that" when I bring stuff down for inspection.
I have lost count now but am right around 20 rifles built. I am holding myself to Don's guarantee except for the lake part. Bedding has been the biggest challenge thus far. I am improving, but not at the speed I would like.
I have a buddy with the coolest laser engraver I have ever seen. He has been doing some stuff on barrels and bolts. We think we have worked out a way to use the rotary table in his machine and are going to try either lightning bolts or barbed wire wrapped around the barrel from chamber to muzzle only on short barrels as the rotary has a 20 inch limit. If you want something laser engraved just bring it up....it is cheap. Five bucks per setup to put anything you want on stainless aluminum wood glass or plastic.

I wish that I had cleaned the gun up a bit more before I took the pic, but the owner has been shooting 1/2 MOA 800 yard groups with a 10X scope and is tickled so I guess it doesn't matter. I do not know if your a drinker, do you recognize the modified Jack Danial's logo?

cam016.jpg

Get one of those magnetizer thinga ma jigs at the hardware store and magnetise your screwdriver tip.

Just another excuse to open to 8x40s..

Be sure that the super glue doesn't get into the threads of the screw. How about grinding a cheapo small screwdriver blade to wedge fit into the slot?

Dan,
There is no problems turning the screw it turns freely....thus the reason I have not already drilled it. I tried a left hand bit and a right hand bit, the screw just spins with the bit.

XS
I did not strip the screw head, I used one of the brownells gunsmithing screwdrivers that I ground specifically for removing those little buggers. Only the threads are stripped.

Still laughing about the solution. I super glued the papaer stick out of a q-tip to the screw and screwed it right out. Thanks James. That was frustrating at 11 o'clock at night, semed a little clearer in the light of day.
I chased the threads and finished the gun. Now if I just had some new brass I would go break in the barrel. On second thought I have put to many late nights in this week with my hobby. I am gonna hang in the house and get some sleep before I break something.

Thanks all for the advice.