• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Scope to help TRG 42 be more balanced

Surffshr

Beach Bum
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2009
SoTX
I have a TRG 42 in 300 wm that I have been shooting as my "big" LR rifle as well as a long range hunting rifle. I really like how the rifle feels and balances with no scope, but with the scope (bushnell ers 4.5-30) it feels very top heavy. From a bipod I never noticed, but offhand or simply carrying I notice the unbalanced feel. The badger 20 MOA rail and rings plus a tall scope surely didn't help, and there was probably a 1/2 inch of clearance between scope bell and barrel. I'd really like to get the center of gravity down closer to the barrel and keep a scope on the rifle that still has 20x at a minimum on the high side. I'm thinking a new mount and scope, but I'd like the hear from folks that might have solved this problem already. Thanks.

The 3 'tactical lightweights' that are highly acclaimed for having excellent glass, durability, and weigh in around 22 oz are:

Leupold Mk 6 3-18x44
Premier LT 3-15x50
March 3-24x42

These all would have good balance and feel when mounted low on the mighty TRG, and would be a bit of an improvement in glass too. The Bushy ERS is a great scope and not too heavy (listed as 24 oz for the 30mm model, 37 oz for the XRS 4.5-30x50 34mm model). You have the 30mm model right? Mounting a smaller objective scope Like the March or Leupold as low as possible and in light weight rings would help the balance greatly. A set of 7075 T6 billet rings like Seekins would be quite a bit lighter than steel rings.

The Mk6 can be had with the very cool low profile M5C2 turrets with Zerolock.

If you want to go crazy lightweight and still have stellar glass and build quality, check out the Swaro Z5 w/ ballistic turret:Swarovski 3.5-18x44 Z5 Riflescope 15.9 oz!

Last edited:
The 3 'tactical lightweights' that are highly acclaimed for having excellent glass, durability, and weigh in around 22 oz are:

Leupold Mk 6 3-18x44
Premier LT 3-15x50
March 3-24x42

These all would have good balance and feel when mounted low on the mighty TRG, and would be a bit of an improvement in glass too. The Bushy ERS is a great scope and not too heavy (listed as 24 oz for the 30mm model, 37 oz for the XRS 4.5-30x50 34mm model). You have the 30mm model right? Mounting a smaller objective scope Like the March or Leupold as low as possible and in light weight rings would help the balance greatly. A set of 7075 T6 billet rings like Seekins would be quite a bit lighter than steel rings.

The Mk6 can be had with the very cool low profile M5C2 turrets with Zerolock.

If you want to go crazy lightweight and still have stellar glass and build quality, check out the Swaro Z5 w/ ballistic turret:Swarovski 3.5-18x44 Z5 Riflescope 15.9 oz!

LT doesnt have enough ele for 300.

march eyebox sucks

mk6 would work well out of that list

march eyebox sucks

Good call on the LT, had .308 on the brain.

I haven't really had an issue with the March eye box, but I guess I have read several complaints about it.

Overall, for light weight tactical scopes, I find myself coming back to Leupold, despite their somewhat tarnished reputation the last few years.

I had a Zeiss Victory on my TRG42 until recently. It sat up high as you describe and I wasnt fond of that. SO........

I ordered a 45MOA base from Near Mfg. (to replace the Badger 20MOA). Bought some Seekins Low 35mm rings and put a Vortex Razor 5-20x50 in there. The end of the bell of the Vortex sunshade (with objective flip open cap) is a couple millimeters from the top of the barrel. I used a scope clearance worksheet somewhere on the web that someone linked me to figure out how low I could go with rings and that 45moa base with the sunshade on. Although, the Vortex is NOT a lightweight scope.

OK that was easy to find
Scope Ring Height and Clearance Calculator

helped quite a bit to get this scope as low as possible which I think is what you are looking to do.

good luck

(edit - If I think about it when I get home I can post a pic.....at work right now)

Last edited:
Take a look at the Spuhr mount that fit the TRG integral receiver rail. Then I would talke a hard look at the new March 3-24x52 scope. You'll save a lot of weight and get a much better balanced rifle.

13201006-origpic-dd0281.jpg

Spuhr - ST-3701 Scope Mount 30 mm TRG

You can also use original Tikka T3 Optilock steel ringmounts that fit straight into the TRG milled reveiver rail. Then the objective bell on a March 3-24x42 will "kiss" the barrel.

Optilock Scope Mounts for Tikka T3 Rifles (Must use Tikka ringmount, NOT Sako!)

Scope weight has a huge impact in performance in off hand shooting.

Last edited:

march eyebox sucks

This is exactly what I was thinking. Plenty of reticle options as well. And if you like Horus the H-59 is now available on the MK6

OK that was easy to find
Scope Ring Heightitelt and Clearance Calculator

helped quite a bit to get this scope as low as possible which I think is what you are looking to do.

Calculator? Holy shizzle that would have helped me so many times in the past. Thank you. I'd like to see a pic for sure. Getting the scope close to the barrel should help and definitely reducing weight.

Spuhr and the march might be the ticket. Agree that getting the scope weight down is key. The bushy weighed in at 37 ounces and had very tall turrets. March seems to be low profile in general.

Take a look at the Spuhr mount that fit the TRG integral receiver rail. Then I would talke a hard look at the new March 3-24x52 scope. You'll save a lot of weight and get a much better balanced rifle.

13201006-origpic-dd0281.jpg

Spuhr - ST-3701 Scope Mount 30 mm TRG

You can also use original Tikka T3 Optilock steel ringmounts that fit straight into the TRG milled reveiver rail. Then the objective bell on a March 3-24x42 will "kiss" the barrel.

Optilock Scope Mounts for Tikka T3 Rifles (Must use Tikka ringmount, NOT Sako!)

Scope weight has a huge impact in performance in off hand shooting.

Thanks guys.

Yeah that calculator is awesome. Was dead on for my combo. If you put in all the variables accurately...helps to have the scope in hand too for some of the measurements. I'll get a pic this morning and put it up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

have you tried the sale 3 ring mount, i loved mine (still lying around the safe) until i had it rebarreled with a 30" thicker contour and the scope bell touched. picked up a Near Mfg base a few screw and locktite, and nightforce rings. down so low that i cannot even use the NF bikini covers because i cant squeeze them under. cant get much lower than that. if that still doesnt work for you might be time for a fixed power scope...or go to the gym LOL.