• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Seekins HAVAK Precision Rifle

Regarding the reporting of the "tight" bolt; has anyone tried a little lapping compound on the bolt mating surfaces??
It seems to my non-gunsmithing mind that this would make for a little smoother action after some working of the bolt while, say, watching a movie at home. Don't shoot me, just an idea .....

My HP1 wasn't what I would call 'tight' or 'gritty', but it most definitely wasn't 'buttery smooth' either.

Now it is 'smooth'. My secret sauce in getting it there, about 150 rounds. ymmv.

Reactions: Alarka
Anyone using a hard case for their storage/transport use?? How about a soft case? Seems as this stick needs a long Pelican case to fit properly and be protected. Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions.

I have a Pelican, 2 Boyt, Sportlock and a few Plano’s and would rate them in the same order. The Pelican, Boyt and Plano’s are ABS plastic but the Pelican and Boyt (6 lock holes) are really good to go for TSA handling as I bought from a friend that flew twice with them. The Plano I wouldn’t trust as much. The Sportlock is covered in Black diamond plate type aluminum and is heavy built for sure, and I wish it had all four latches with padlock loops but has two on the center most latches and I haven’t TSA’d it, but it would be gtg IMO a heavy duffle bag crusher for sure. All have pluckable foam for customizing for each gun/accessories.

Pelican is what I was expecting to be at the top. Wasn't sure what other experiences people had with other brands. Guess I need to figure out if a larger double case would suit me. I just want to use it for more than just a single rifle and accessories.

Using a PH1 rifle and looking for info about scope objective lens size and scope ring height: If using a 56mm OBJ scope what ring height are you using? If using a 50mm OBJ scope what ring height are you using??

Using a PH1 rifle and looking for info about scope objective lens size and scope ring height: If using a 56mm OBJ scope what ring height are you using? If using a 50mm OBJ scope what ring height are you using??
seekins.jpgi have the vx6HD with 52mm objective with seekins 34mm low rings.

I have the ARC M10 rings in .94 (low) with a Athlon Cronus with a 56mm OBJ.

Attachments

• F215857E-0963-453B-B339-69434F2F5C1D.jpeg
    F215857E-0963-453B-B339-69434F2F5C1D.jpeg
    629.7 KB · Views: 183
Reactions: HeavyAssault
OK how do you take the damn bolt apart?

And that bolt handle is glued in place I think. Even with heat and channel locks it's not twisting off.

@RFREY91: So those are the .92" rings correct? Nice setup for sure! I'm hoping to be able to buy once for the optics setup.

Reactions: RFREY91
OK how do you take the damn bolt apart?

And that bolt handle is glued in place I think. Even with heat and channel locks it's not twisting off.

I haven't tried to take the bolt apart yet, but I'm sure it's the same as most others.

Pretty sure they dabbed a touch of LocTite on there....It's a bugger for sure.

I haven't tried to take the bolt apart yet, but I'm sure it's the same as most others.

Pretty sure they dabbed a touch of LocTite on there....It's a bugger for sure.

Mine was too loose. It kept coming loose when I didn't want it to. It's got thread locker on it now.

I suck and my .308 still shoots well. ?

Every ladder I run seems to shoot fine.

25373B59-A98F-433C-B55B-F95240259E47.jpeg

Don't be afraid to hit a little harder than you think you need to with the heat. Mine was really tight too. As I explained in an earlier post, don't be surprised when you see the bolt knob with the male thread, not the bolt handle............
I had a male to male extension made to fit a Remington style knob, the extended (steel) part is just a hair shy of 3/4".
20181206_202915.jpg20181206_203053.jpg

Well, I drank some koolaid and just ordered a 28 Nosler I found in stock months ago. Should be here by the end of the week. I’m going to try factory 175 gr and 160 gr Nosler Ammo since I’m about to spend 9 months on an all expense paid trip with our Uncle Sam and don’t have time to get multiple range trips in for load data. If I like it, it will get a full paint job at CGC, we shall see.

Reactions: TheMammoth
I wonder.... Which Foundation Stock Action Inlet best fits the Havak action?

That doesn't look like the bolt handle in the video.

I'm happy Glen and the shop upgraded the production class rifle to the krg from the magpull. Now i have a serious debate between the havak vs hancock.

Pelican is what I was expecting to be at the top. Wasn't sure what other experiences people had with other brands. Guess I need to figure out if a larger double case would suit me. I just want to use it for more than just a single rifle and accessories.

I’ve got several Pelicans, and have given even more of them away. The ONLY time I use one is if I’m flying. They’re far too large and cumbersome. I don’t care about protecting my rifles for daily usage. They get thrown around in the truck and side by side and keep working just fine.

I'm going to hunt around for a soft case as well for the range days. The Pelican would serve as a long drive carry case when I have extended trips to other locations.

Reactions: Aescobar17
I'm going to hunt around for a soft case as well for the range days. The Pelican would serve as a long drive carry case when I have extended trips to other locations.
That would be the best route IMO. The double soft cases can be quite handy for normal usage.

The SKB double rifle case is my favorite for hauling big rifles around. It won't handle the longest barrels, but it's great for 26" bbls with a couple inches of muzzle brake.

Might’ve missed it somewhere, but can anyone guess as to what contour these are running from the factory? What is the muzzle diameter as well?

I am planning on building a similar rifle on an FN action, debating between a light palma or a Bartlien 3b at 20”, .308, 1-10 twist. Will have an A3 stock and a hinged floorplate.

Thanks, I now saw where a #4 was very similar, sounds like a light palma is in order for my build.

Thank you.

Regarding the reporting of the "tight" bolt; has anyone tried a little lapping compound on the bolt mating surfaces??
It seems to my non-gunsmithing mind that this would make for a little smoother action after some working of the bolt while, say, watching a movie at home. Don't shoot me, just an idea .....

I posted earlier in this thread on this, but it’s a long thread to keep up on and I’ve since remedied my issues to my satisfaction.

Commenting on the 'tight lock-up':

First, there's a fair amount of cock-on-close with this action. Some people really hate any cock-on-close in their actions. I'm undecided at this point. I like the idea of spreading the cocking effort out for an overall lighter bolt manipulation... and the bolt lift is indeed, light.

Second, and more importantly, on one of my Havak 6.5 PRC’s the factory head-space was only about 0.001" over virgin brass so there was bolt binding/brass contact on bolt close. I don’t shoot factory ammo, so once the issue was discovered, it became a non-issue for me. I ran the virgin brass through my FL sizer die and bumped the shoulder another 0.001”. From there, bolt close was just slightly more than other comparable actions, due to the cock-on-close, but not ‘tight on lock-up’. No more effort to close on an empty chamber, than on a round.

First picture below if of a piece of brass fired 3X, neck-sized only:

D17006EF-DEA2-4ACB-A040-D5A9893785BB.jpeg

The next picture is of a piece of virgin brass:

07A1D377-2C18-4C90-8AEC-0A1EF7E9B394.jpeg

Reactions: Dooby
Just got a call from Seekins about my 300 WM. They duplicated my accuracy issues, maybe to a slightly lesser extent based on what they said on the phone.

Anyway, they will be rebarreling and rebedding my rifle or sending me a new one with a proof target grouping. Early on I was a bit pessimistic about customer service, largely because their responses started going to my junk email folder and I thought they weren't responding. They have handled the situation as well as can be asked for. I still have my concerns about the deep spiral flutes on a 300 WM but hopefully those concerns are removed with the next barrel or rifle.

I will update again once I get the rifle back out on the range.

So I received my Havak in 6 Creedmoor last week. Took it to the lease last weekend, but didn’t get a chance to put anything down with it. It was wearing a PST II 3-15 while my glass came in.

I took a box of ammo to the range yesterday with it still wearing the PST, and was able to keep a sub 5” 3 shot group with my last 3 rounds at 1020. The rest of the box had been confirming dope from 300-770. This is the first rifle I’ve shot factory ammo from in a long time (and bought it specifically for that reason). I’m very pleased with the way it shoots. Just got it topped with an ATACR 4-16 MILC this afternoon, so now I need to get back to the range.8D390B02-26A5-4E68-9530-8D0EE919DEF9.jpeg

I just picked up a Havak PH1 in 6.5 Creedmoor today. Impressions so far are very positive. Fit and finish are excellent; it’s well machined. The stock is on par with any McMillan or Manners I’ve owned. It’s also very light....much lighter and better balanced in hand than I expected. The action has a heavy bolt lift and doesn’t cycle super smooth, but I suspect this will improve over time and round count.

I’ll run it through it’s paces tomorrow to zero and establish mechanical accuracy. I expect good things.

Well, I took the 28 Nosler out and shot some factory ammo through it in order to harvest the brass. It shot 160 Nosler Ammo descent, .53” average over 9 rounds in 3 x 3 rd groups. It shot 175’s like smashed ass hole at 100 (1.5” average) but pretty descent at 823 yards. I had 4 rds left and remembered I had a piece of steel that was still fresh since the last time I was home. I shot twice, (the left two) my father in law and my wife shot the other two with a different windhold, off the back of my truck cover. Sub MOA group with three different people shooting isn’t too bad considering.

I’ll be charging up some 180 Berger hybrids this week when I get home and see how it does. So far though, not bad for a factory rig with factory Ammo.

Anyone slap an APA or PVA Brake on one of these? I’m not sure there is enough meat on the shoulder on it for one of these. I used as seamless brake off my wife’s 7RM in the interim.
3C05B929-95C3-47BE-8B2E-242F926A6AF6.jpeg
0A557C1A-D412-4624-9535-EC231B3278C0.jpeg

Well, I took the 28 Nosler out and shot some factory ammo through it in order to harvest the brass. It shot 160 Nosler Ammo descent, .53” average over 9 rounds in 3 x 3 rd groups. It shot 175’s like smashed ass hole at 100 (1.5” average) but pretty descent at 823 yards. I had 4 rds left and remembered I had a piece of steel that was still fresh since the last time I was home. I shot twice, (the left two) my father in law and my wife shot the other two with a different windhold, off the back of my truck cover. Sub MOA group with three different people shooting isn’t too bad considering.

I’ll be charging up some 180 Berger hybrids this week when I get home and see how it does. So far though, not bad for a factory rig with factory Ammo.

Anyone slap an APA or PVA Brake on one of these? I’m not sure there is enough meat on the shoulder on it for one of these. I used as seamless brake off my wife’s 7RM in the interim. View attachment 6991957View attachment 6991958

Keep us updated on that 28. I think in 19’ I’m either building a 28 or buying a Havak in 28. Right now I’m leaning towards the build, but I haven’t ruled out the Havak. I sure am liking my 6 Creed Havak.

Keep us updated on that 28. I think in 19’ I’m either building a 28 or buying a Havak in 28. Right now I’m leaning towards the build, but I haven’t ruled out the Havak. I sure am liking my 6 Creed Havak.

@Aescobar17 how accurate is your 6 creed Havak? I am debating on buying one in 6 creed; there just isn’t a lot of reports on the Havak in that caliber. Thanks

@Aescobar17 how accurate is your 6 creed Havak? I am debating on buying one in 6 creed; there just isn’t a lot of reports on the Havak in that caliber. Thanks

I’ve only had mine roughly two weeks, and have made it out twice briefly to put a few rounds through it. Once to sight it in, and the other to confirm dope before heading to the lease. I’ve put a couple hundred rounds through another Havak in 6 though, and it loved the Hornady 108 factory loads, so I snagged a case to try in mine. I was able to get it dialed in then shot a 1/2” 5 shot group. Good enough for me, and called it a day. Then last week I took a box and briefly ran out to the range over lunch to confirm velocity and dope to 730ish. My rifle was tracking right along from 310-730, so the last 4 I ran out to 1020. Took one sighter as I miscalled my wind. Next 3 landed within 5” at 1020.

Heading out Friday for 4 days to my lease, and will probably put some good time behind it then.

Reactions: rookie7
Anyone slap an APA or PVA Brake on one of these? I’m not sure there is enough meat on the shoulder on it for one of these. I used as seamless brake off my wife’s 7RM in the interim.

The area 419 hellfire and seekins atc brakes work fine on the 300wm so I assume the same for the 28.

The area 419 hellfire and seekins atc brakes work fine on the 300wm so I assume the same for the 28.

Do you have a pic of the hellfire on the havak? I was really wanting to go APA LB for aesthetics, but will ultimately rock whatever I have too.

ETA: Called APA and they said it has less shoulder than they recommend, but if I use loctite it will be okay. Ordered a LB Gen 2.

Last edited:
So I got a KRG Bravo and mounted it up today but AICS mags won't seat. Anyone run into this?

Get a small punch and push out the silver pin that holds the mag catch latch. Be careful of the spring as you remove the latch. Take a file and shave down the top of the latch a little at a time until the mag will lock in place. Mine took about 11 passes over my file, you should only have to shave a few thousandths off.

Also AI AW mags will work way better as the lugs can pass between the wider lips. If you use AICS mags after you get the mag to seat you may need to trim down the feed lips on the mags a little to avoid contact with the bolt lugs. It’s definitely not hard, but just an added step of adjustment.

Well it took 0.060" to get the mags to catch, definitely a hell of a lot more than 11 passes. Seemed excessive. I was wondering if there was a known issue of some type.

Anyone run a can on the Havak ph1 6.5 creed? I put my Silencerco Hybrid on today and it changed my zero quite a bit. It was 6 inches low and 2 inches right at 100 yards. With no can its right on at 100. Is that normal? The can is pretty heavy for that size of barrel i feel. Any advice on this?

Seekins gets Rem 700 inletted Bravo's from us but their action isn't totally a Rem 700 pattern so they cut the mag catches down a bit. I don't know what that cut is off hand but they might have missed one. On the other hand, AW mags require a bit higher mag catch height than AICS so you could try using one of those.
Justin

I sure wish they had options on barrel length.....it would make the 6.5prc decision a lot harder to choose a bighorn origin with a 26" rock creek and a seekins precision with a 26" barrel as both can have replaceable bolt heads and easy to install switch barrel type setups.

Anyone run a can on the Havak ph1 6.5 creed? I put my Silencerco Hybrid on today and it changed my zero quite a bit. It was 6 inches low and 2 inches right at 100 yards. With no can its right on at 100. Is that normal? The can is pretty heavy for that size of barrel i feel. Any advice on this?

Why not just zero with the can on and not worry about?

Are you running the can direct thread or ASR? Direct thread should have very minimal shift, but I’ve seen a ton of shift out of some ASR mounts.

You just hung a heavy weight from your barrel. Unless you're running an MTU contour or something you'll see a pretty good change in POI.

Reactions: TheMammoth