• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Semi Auto Precision Suggestions

Patbower9

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2013
Southern California
I'm back with another project, and this time I'm looking to build a semi auto precision rifle, sticking to the lines of a DMR (Designated Marksman Rifle). Before anyone asks, I'm very attached to my 308 Win caliber so yes I'm looking for something in 7.62 NATO/308 Win. I'm NOT looking to build from scratch but off of a platform. So far I've felt around with pricing and performance with the FN Scar 17s, the Springfield M1A either full size or the 20" SOCOM II, and an assortment of AR10s. The final obstacle for this is that....well, I live in CA. Needless to say, it has to be CA legal. Any suggestions?

Put in an order for a GAP10 I think they have a 6-7 month wait time right now. It'll be about SCAR priced and they will sell it with a couple 10rd mags and a bullet button. Just read the range reports they all seem to be very accurate rifles.

Whatever you get do it soon the CA Senate just approved a ton of new gun laws that are very draconian and with a Democrat Assembly and Governor I think most, if not all will make it through unedited. So if you want something semi-auto get it NOW.

BCP is spot on. If you can afford it, maybe a JP to keep you busy in the mean time. GAPs rock. Start saving for a scope.

Good luck.

Whatever you decide I wouldn't wait too long for the reasons BCP mentioned. If SB 47 or 374 pass the assembly and don't get vetoed you'll have until 1/1/14 to purchase what you're considering-- and if one or both of those bills pass I'd expect a run on semi-auto anything from panic-buying CA residents and things will either be out of stock or at sky-high prices. The bills are already on the floor and I'm already seeing an increase in "anxious" California buyers expecting the worst.

I'm planning on ordering a JP LRP-07 shortly myself; I want to compare one head to head with my GAP-10. If either of those bills pass I'll need one in my hands before 1/1/2014 or I won't be owning one until I move out of California.

If you have the funding I'd hedge your bets and purchase what you want sooner rather than later.

Having gone down both the M1A route and the AR route I'd steer you towards an AR. Easier and cheaper to get the accuracy, easier to maintain the level of accuracy, better optics mounting options, and should you decide to try something besides the .308 in the future it's an easier caliber swap-- either rebarrel your upper or buy a second upper. I enjoy my Ted Brown LRB M25 build but my previous Aero Precision Armalite-pattern AR10 build and now the GAP10 will both run circles around it in the ergonomics, optics mounting, and accuracy departments. The only advantage the M1A/M25 has for me being a CA resident is I can run 20 round detachable mags without resorting to a "featureless" build as I would with the AR's.

Last edited:
Since the concusses so far is GAP, which I completely agree, what configuration rifle would suit your needs best? 20" or longer barrel? Optics and mounts? Trigger? Bipod?

Once you have decided on the gun, you must think of accessories, right?

JP Enterprise LRP-07 or GAP-10 will do the job the best. JP wait time believe it or not is not that bad 3-4 months @ most last time I checked. I have shot both and both are very accurate, JP is lighter and a little more expensive but these 2 are cream of the crop.

Last edited:
I just submitted a build and mailed the 50% deposit off for an LRP-07 today-- when JP contacts me I'll get an estimated lead time from them.

Looking forward to shooting the GAP10 and the future LRP-07 side by side; I'm already trying to decide if I should sell one or keep both. I have a feeling it's going to be a tough decision.