• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Setting up for reloading

Ferryman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2009
UK
I am about to start reloading for 3 calibres.
.308/7.62
.300WM

What would the recomendations be for a basic setup

I figure, Press, Dies,Scale, Powder Trickler. case length trimmer.

My choices are.

Dillon
RCBS
Redding

I want to buy once cry once.

Re: Setting up for reloading

Please look hard at a Forster Co-Ax press, I perfer Redding Type S dies, Redding Comp seater but the Forster micrometer work the same, Redding numbers are easier to read, Lyman VLD inside chamfer and rocket outside Chamfer tool, Lyman flash hole deburr tool, primer pocket uniform tool.

Presses:
I have (9) presses and I have worked on (3) other models that other people own. Almost any press will do. Some benchrest guys use Partner presses with extra clearance around the ram. Here is what I have and how much I use them:

Use all the time:
Bonanza co-ax press
Forster co-ax press
RCBS partner press

Use sometimes:
(3) Lee reloader presses
RCBS rockchucker press

Never use:
Lyman All American Press with shell holder adapter
Dillon 550B set up for 9mm and 223
------------------
Dies:
I tend to use:
1) Lee decapping die
2) Lee collet neck die
3) Forster seating die with sliding sleeve.

I tend not to use my other dies:
Wilson seater
Wilson bushing neck die
Redding "S" die
RCBS die sets
RCBS neck dies
RCBS decapping die
Lee RGB die sets
--------------------------------
My RCBS and Dillon scales are made by Ohaus and are the same good scale.
My Redding scales are not as nice or I am not as used to them, but good enough for anything.
-----------------------
I never use my RCBS powder trickler, but I have modified the handle and the base for more rotation speeds and more stability.

What I do use in Lee powder dippers and tap them with my finger to trickle more powder into the scale.
--------------------------------
I do not use my RCBS case trimmer.
I do not use my Wilson case trimmer.

I have few Forster case trimmers and one I modified to be vertical mount and a door knob for a handle, gets used sometimes.

I never use the Lee trimmer stuff, and I have all they make, except the Lee lock stud gets used sometimes.
I sometimes put the Lee lock stud in the mill vise and the RCBS Trim Pro 3-Way Cutter in the mill spindle.

You did not mention what type of shooting you would do, or the volume of shooting. If you are new to reloading, I would start out with a single stage (esp. for rifle)

Single Stage: Forster Co-Ax: Best designed, best built SS press available.

Progressive: Hornady LNL AP: most versatile progressive.

Andy

Andy.

All of my shooting is bolt action rifle at targets not hunting.

I am looking to find the "Sweet Spot" for each rifle at given distance.

Plus I have plenty of time to load but not as much trigger time.

My idea is load up 12 rnds for each test load, that will give 2 sighters then 2X5 shot groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ferryman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am about to start reloading for 3 calibres.
.308/7.62
.300WM

What would the recomendations be for a basic setup

I figure, Press, Dies,Scale, Powder Trickler. case length trimmer.

My choices are.

Dillon
RCBS
Redding

I want to buy once cry once. </div></div>

Press: I recommend a unconventional choice:

CH4D No. 444 - 4-Station 'H' Press; Link CH Tool and Die

Since you not doing any case forming or heavy resizing this is a fast press, without the drawbacks of a turret (head wobble), Not as fast a true progessive i.e. Dillon but you have much more control.

I have used an older three hole CH "H" press for more than 20 years, and it's held up well. But I do not strain it, and do my heavy reloading chores like case forming on a RCBS A-4 press. But with the standard cases and calibers you are using, I don't see any need for heavy duty.

Dies: Plenty of good one's, but three I can recommend are Forster's Ultra Micrometer FL Die sets, and the standard Redding Competition FL Die set, or the RCBS Compettion FL Die Set for all three calibers. None are these are busing die set, the standards work just fine.

Then add a standard Neck Die, from any of the three above, a Lee Universal Decapping die, and a Lee Factory Crimp Die for all three calibers.

I use the Lee universal Decapper for all my rounds. Then I clean my cases. So I never use the FL or Nk die to decap, only to resize, so no dirty case get in to be resized. This die is cheap under $15.

You may never need a factory crimp die, but I found them very useful at times, and since they are under $15. each, it's a cheap investment.

For a scale I like the Lyman 1500 XP, but there are many good electronics now available.

Since I did not recommend a full powder electronic powder thrower, you will need one of those. I have used a RCBS Uniflow for years, but if I was to buy a new one tomorrow, I would buy a Redding BR3 powder measure.

Tricklers? They all work, buy the one you like.

Case Trimmer: I used a Forster Classic trimmer for more than 25 years, and never needed another one.

IMHO and YMMV,

Bob