• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sheep hunt scope

Wake_907

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2020
Hey guys, so I’m putting together a rifle to take on a sheep hunt and am looking for a solid scope to throw on a browning x-bolt something under $1300, capped turrets, good glass, durable, and in the realm of 16x max. I’ve had multiple leuapold scopes and have had issues with them holding up on long hunts, I have a vortex diamondback and I don’t like it at all. Burris seems like they make some good stuff and so does maven and swaro.

I'd look at the Zeiss 4x16 conquest with capped turrets. Just mounted one yesterday, better glass than my vx6.

I'd look at the Zeiss 4x16 conquest with capped turrets. Just mounted one yesterday, better glass than my vx6.
Not the VX-6HD. Maybe to VX6. I own both of these. The Zeiss V4 does not have high quality glass. They are wonderful scopes, but this is their entry level scopes. Leupold VX-6HD 2-12x44 or 3-18x44 are better choices.

Reactions: Whhood
Not the VX-6HD. Maybe to VX6. I own both of these. The Zeiss V4 does not have high quality glass. They are wonderful scopes, but this is their entry level scopes. Leupold VX-6HD 2-12x44 or 3-18x44 are better choices.
Well, our eyes are different, this is my vx6hd. It's glass is not on par with the zeiss I mounted yesterday.
20221003_073604.jpg

The Leica Aimplus looks nice if you want SFP. I think I'd try and up your budget and find a Nightforce ATACR 4-16 if you want FFP.
On a sheep rifle?, it's a fine scope, but not my choice to carry around for a couple weeks at altitude.

I run a vx5hd 3-15, And have dialed out to 650 with it and returns to zero every time. Don’t think you can go wrong with the nightforce. But I haven’t had any issues with my Leupolds tracking either. I would personally dial out to 4-500 yards with the Leupold a dozen times at the range or so and see what it does. If it returns to zero I’d keep rocking the leupold.

I have done 17 sheep hunts in North America and a couple in Asia.

There is really no need for a lot of power. I realize it is popular but not at all needed. Nor are large objectives.
For me a simple tough scope is all that is required. I used a fixed 3X Leupold for years then a fixed Zeiss 6X. Later a 1.5-5 Leupold. All were fine.

Today I would use a NF 2.5-10X 24 or a NF 1-8X 24. Not for the variable power. It's not needed. I would choose these for light weight, rugged constriction and compact size. Set the scope in a simple, light weight, low set of rings and you're GTG.

If you are planning a sheep hunt, I would think a scope budget would not be much of a factor. Tiny part of the overall cost of a trip.

Assuming you have a spotter to ID legal rams, the SWFQ 6x MQ is plenty of scope for shooting the ram. Good reticle, crisp and accurate knobs.

NOT heavy, 100% reliable.

Well, our eyes are different, this is my vx6hd. It's glass is not on par with the zeiss I mounted yesterday.
View attachment 7968849

What do you know about glass? 🤣

OP is in Alaska, so sheep hunting for a resident is a little different there than other places.

@Wake_907 - having been guided along by @abn31c more than once on shooting stuff, I trust his info damn well.
He has a LOT of sheep experience, and not just the velcro mitt kind. 🤣

I keep going back to Leupold for hunting because they weigh less in almost every application.

I would be thinking a 2-10, 3-15 at most.

I have done 17 sheep hunts in North America and a couple in Asia.

There is really no need for a lot of power. I realize it is popular but not at all needed. Nor are large objectives.
For me a simple tough scope is all that is required. I used a fixed 3X Leupold for years then a fixed Zeiss 6X. Later a 1.5-5 Leupold. All were fine.

Today I would use a NF 2.5-10X 24 or a NF 1-8X 24. Not for the variable power. It's not needed. I would choose these for light weight, rugged constriction and compact size. Set the scope in a simple, light weight, low set of rings and you're GTG.

If you are planning a sheep hunt, I would think a scope budget would not be much of a factor. Tiny part of the overall cost of a trip.
As a Alaska resident a over the counter sheep hunt isn’t too expensive I like your philosophy on smaller lower power scopes which is the same stance my dad has I prefer a 40-50 mil scope and some extra magnification if needed even though 6x is usually where I take my shots and usually inside 300 sheep is a new challenge for me and the common theme of sheep hunts is good glass in scopes binos and spotters.

Spend the money on the best spotter. That way you don't wear yourself out walking to get a better look when you could have zoomed in for a better look.

I spent a lot of my youth wandering around after sheep in Alaska before someone saved me with a quality spotter on a quality tripod.

It's already hard. Don't make it harder by getting a heavy or subpar spotter.

Spend the money on the best spotter. That way you don't wear yourself out walking to get a better look when you could have zoomed in for a better look.

I spent a lot of my youth wandering around after sheep in Alaska before someone saved me with a quality spotter on a quality tripod.

It's already hard. Don't make it harder by getting a heavy or subpar spotter.
Thoughts on a pair of 15x binos on a tripod over a spotter?

Thoughts on a pair of 15x binos on a tripod over a spotter?

What’s the goal?

Counting annuli rings I’d go spotter.. for finding game Binos

Two buddies of mine shot Rams this year.one a 6 year old full curl, and the other an 8 year old 7/8th. Both basically road system hunts. Can’t say either run scopes or rifles I consider ideal, but both shot rams.

Op

I’ll echo David’s comment. Run a rugged reliable setup way before fretting weight or “glass”.. as you probably know plenty of sheep died with a 3-9 vx-2.build out from that baseline ie rugged reliability.

Reactions: Wake_907
What’s the goal?

Counting annuli rings I’d go spotter.. for finding game Binos

Two buddies of mine shot Rams this year.one a 6 year old full curl, and the other an 8 year old 7/8th. Both basically road system hunts. Can’t say either run scopes or rifles I consider ideal, but both shot rams.

Op

I’ll echo David’s comment. Run a rugged reliable setup way before fretting weight or “glass”.. as you probably know plenty of sheep died with a 3-9 vx-2.build out from that baseline ie rugged reliability.
Not really trying to count annuli just looking for full curl the identification process definitely seems like the biggest challenge for me.

The difference between a good tahr (12”)and a great tahr (14”) is why I switched to spotters if I can..

zero interest in shooting a 5 year old 11” tahr. Shot heaps of them tho.

get good at judging at rams aka counting rings. Especially if ur going in off the road system.

My .02.

Do what ya want with it.

Dalls are easy to spot. Take a really good spotter and a SOLID tripod. Tripod is almost as important as the spotter. Forget the 15s you will hate the weight for no benefit.

I’d say 3.5-10 leupold for glass but even being a fanboy they haven’t been that reliable.

One of the 2.5-10 nightforce would be pretty fall and rock proof.

I really like my nxs 2.5-10x42. I've had too many leupolds fail on me to trust them. I've also had some vortex fail. So I started spending more money on optics and mounts and can't see going back. Especially if you have such a big commitment for a hunt.

Thank you, one of my first choices also. Tell us more about that rifle, it's gotta be lightweight with the Manners UC and proof barrel?
If not the PMII 10x42, if you want second focal plane spend a little more for the NXS 2.5-10x42 or the SHV 3-10x42
Its a Manners MCS-T, 26" 300 Norma. 9lbs loaded with 3rds.

Reactions: XTREM HTR16
Hey guys, so I’m putting together a rifle to take on a sheep hunt and am looking for a solid scope to throw on a browning x-bolt something under $1300, capped turrets, good glass, durable, and in the realm of 16x max. I’ve had multiple leuapold scopes and have had issues with them holding up on long hunts, I have a vortex diamondback and I don’t like it at all. Burris seems like they make some good stuff and so does maven and swaro.
Leupold Mark 5HD. If you had issues, I wasn’t a Mark 5.

Probably going to ruffle some feathers but…..

Been plenty happy with my Swaro Z3 3-10x42. Great glass. Holds zero. Uber light. Keeping shots 400 and in knowing mpbr and drops, don’t care it’s not up to precision rifle standards.

Shooting sheep isn’t as big of a distance problem as everyone thinks. Judging them correctly is, and should be priority 1. Only been on 7 sheep hunts and live in Alaska so what do I know though.

Yes I know I know, do more push ups….. consider an airplane drop off with nothing but a back pack and rifle for 12-16 days. Fact of the matter is clothing and food are way more important to be taking up weight and space. Have to get to the shot first and foremost.

Yes I do shoot precision rifle. I tell guys I’m a shooter first and hunter second but have yet to be around a ram that needed a precision rifle. Some could easily of been done with irons.

YMMV.

Best of luck.

Edited, 7 forgot one

Last edited:
Probably going to ruffle some feathers but…..

Been plenty happy with my Swaro Z3 3-10x42. Great glass. Holds zero. Uber light. Keeping shots 400 and in knowing mpbr and drops, don’t care it’s not up to precision rifle standards.

Shooting sheep isn’t as big of a distance problem as everyone thinks. Judging them correctly is, and should be priority 1. Only been on 6 sheep hunts and live in Alaska so what do I know though.

Yes I know I know, do more push ups….. consider an airplane drop off with nothing but a back pack and rifle for 12-16 days. Fact of the matter is clothing and food are way more important to be taking up weight and space. Have to get to the shot first and foremost.

Yes I do shoot precision rifle. I tell guys I’m a shooter first and hunter second but have yet to be around a ram that needed a precision rifle. Some could easily of been done with irons.

YMMV.

Best of luck.
^^^ This. Another Alaskan, sheep hunter. Capped turrets isn’t a big deal, a bit of electrical tape around them takes care of that. Glass quality is great but tracking and durability are absolutes for me. Had a Zeiss v4 shift zero on my last sheep hunt, luckily I found out on a coyote instead of a ram. Might be the rings, still diagnosing. RedHawks rifles sells demo Zeiss optics for a decent savings. I’m currently waiting on a trijicon accupoint 3-9x40 to get here, might be my perfect idea for a hunting optic. 13 oz’s, mil-dot reticle, capped turrets, battery-less illumination, small optic.

Take the spotter, it will save you miles and elevation. Bino’s are great for determining if a sheep is worthy enough to drop packs, dig out the spotter/tripod, etc…

Reactions: abn31c