• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sherman 7 MAX

Also i have had some barrels that didn't speed up till 150-200 rounds.

Maybe give N570, RL-33,RL-26 a try? Your running 28 inch? Try a slower powder. I shot some 195 w N570 yesterday evening. Will post some velocity readings this weekend.
I have one pound of reloader 26 but that's why I'm not using it because I only have one pound and other powders unable to find

Also i have had some barrels that didn't speed up till 150-200 rounds.
Usually after virgin brass it seems like everything speeds up alittle then barrel add 50 to 75 feet. But i thought with 183 i would start at 3000 and end up at 3050ish to 3100

Reactions: BCX
Usually after virgin brass it seems like everything speeds up alittle then barrel add 50 to 75 feet. But i thought with 183 i would start at 3000 and end up at 3050ish to 3100
You need some R26 or N565
60ish grains of either gets me 183’s at 2950 easy peasy in my 7 saum.

You need some R26 or N565
60ish grains of either gets me 183’s at 2950 easy peasy in my 7 saum.
That is pretty impressive. Powder Valley said they had some n565 in stock put it in my cart and it was sold out. I used to shoot reloader 26 but it dried up

Last edited:
Shooting now one load 2930 for avg es 8 i think good group but get alittle bolt lift. Other group 2867 avg good group es 9. Got 1 heavier bolt lift. Not sure maybe im messing up on brass it is a nuke action

Shooting now one load 2930 for avg es 8 i think good group but get alittle bolt lift. Other group 2867 avg good group es 9. Got 1 heavier bolt lift. Not sure maybe im messing up on brass it is a nuke action
Tight barrel?
Try a good bit of jump.

Schw15 sent you a Pm

I was getting heavy Bolt lift but i think i wasnt resizing enough. And first nuke harder to see pressure signs or new to me.
My Nuke definitely handled more pressure than my savage.
Tight cases can certainly do it as well.

Yeah, he's running the new brass which i also had some issues with.

Reactions: Schw15
Shoulders are a touch further forward and thinner necks on new brass.

Is a 3 port brake, like APA Lil B* or PVA JetBlast, enough brake for 7 Max?
I am stacking parts :)

I run a Terminator T3 on my 7 MAX but would have no issue running no brake.

Reactions: Tchitcherine
I stayed at roughly the same charges to start with. Imr 7977 65,65.5,66 grains still not great speeds no heavy bolt lift though. Imr 8133 67 speed is lacking but no heavy bolt lift so more powder and fingers crossed.

5 shot group imr 7977 65 grains i shot a group that looked just like it that was 9 shots. Looking at 2900ish

Attachments

• 20210402_100221.jpg
    20210402_100221.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 42
Hi all. Been reading everything about 7 saum, 7 ss, and 7 Max. Can't decide which one to build. Already purchased a Defiance Tenacity long action DM, and 26" Bartlien Sendero 8t barrel. Want to shoot 190gr. Bergers accurately. Have R26, H1000 powders plus others. Will drop barreled action into a chassis for shooting steel and possible hunting. This build will compliment my 300 Norma mag and 37xc for shooting steel at a cost saving. L-R Max, Saum, SS.

The nice thing about the Sherman line of cartridges is none are Sammi, nor are the dies. If I build the saum I think I'd like to order custom reamer with tight tolerances and long freebore. Love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks
20210405_163722.jpg

Hi all. Been reading everything about 7 saum, 7 ss, and 7 Max. Can't decide which one to build. Already purchased a Defiance Tenacity long action DM, and 26" Bartlien Sendero 8t barrel. Want to shoot 190gr. Bergers accurately. Have R26, H1000 powders plus others. Will drop barreled action into a chassis for shooting steel and possible hunting. This build will compliment my 300 Norma mag and 37xc for shooting steel at a cost saving. L-R Max, Saum, SS.

The nice thing about the Sherman line of cartridges is none are Sammi, nor are the dies. If I build the saum I think I'd like to order custom reamer with tight tolerances and long freebore. Love to hear your thoughts.
ThanksView attachment 7598240
Not to throw a wrench in plans but sherman is coming out with a new case holding 6 grains or so more than 7 max like a wsm improved or something. He said planning on summer........ I will be making one og those for sure

I run a 7 MAX w long Freebore.
Is it still a 7mm? I just talked to Rich last week. Didn't mention it.
I believe its that Striker case i posted a few months ago?

Also just put together a 30 SM (300 PRC improved) . Fire forming load w N-570 and Berger 220 is fast.

Reactions: Schw15
Is it still a 7mm? I just talked to Rich last week. Didn't mention it.
Yes 7mm but in sure it will come in all calibers. I talked to him about it he said he hoped that he had brass dies ect by summer or late summer. I will keep my max and just have another barrel made for new case

ThanksView attachment 7598240
Just a standard 7 saum reamer works very well with ADG brass and 190’s are touching at 3.050ish when brand new.
Just cut a new 30” Barrel and I expect 2900 easily with great brass life and R26 or N565.

The 7 max is another option I’d look for but I won’t be leaving 7 saum for it.
I waffled on the same choices but went 7 saum because of die options and that cartridge has been great to me.
If I want more horsepower I’d want a bigger bullet with it.

To Steelhead:
So what I hear you saying is that your so invested already in the saum that another 100 fps doesn't matter because of your great results. But if you were starting fresh, would you still go down the saum road?

To Steelhead:
So what I hear you saying is that your so invested already in the saum that another 100 fps doesn't matter because of your great results. But if you were starting fresh, would you still go down the saum road?
Actually I would.
If I didn’t have something bigger 7 max would be more of a possibility but 2850-2950 ish with 190’s and less than 60 grains of powder is awfully nice.
Another 100 fps or so doesn’t make spotting any easier.

Not sure exactly as I have no accurate way of measuring it. I bought the reamer, sent it in w a dummy round loaded to my specs w jump. My smith throated it out. If I can remember I’m just touching the lands at 3.225 w Berger 195. Have my measurements at the house for the Berger 190 and Hornady 190 A-tip.

Patrick61, these are the numbers i measured @ 0 rounds....

Berger 195 3.225
Hornady A-Tip 3.209
Berger 190 3.213

I should do the math and try to figure it out 😂

Thanks guys. No matter what cartridge I end up with, I don't want to sacrifice case volume with a bullet down lower than it needs to be. Hence the long action to begin with.

Thanks guys. No matter what cartridge I end up with, I don't want to sacrifice case volume with a bullet down lower than it needs to be. Hence the long action to begin with.
Bugholes did mine have to rent the reamer from rich. But i sent in 3 dummy rounds they throated them at my length. I set the 183 smk at 3.245 oal

Thanks Schw15 for the reply. I think 3.2 will be the magic number for cup and core projectiles

With powders like H1000 and 7977 you definitely want a medium or long action.
With R26 or N565 can get good speed and case fill in a short action.

I seem to have a chicken/egg problem:

Have Berger 190 LRHTs and 7 SAUM brass. Brass is Norma because that was available, while Sherman head-stamped 7 Max and ADG 7 SAUM brass are not.

Have barrel on hand and receiver in the transfer process, so soon I can send them out for chambering & fitting.

However, unlike previous custom barrel work, I can't really make a proper dummy round, without a formed 7 Max case, and I can't form a 7 Max case without a chamber in which to fire it.

Any advice on how to get optimal freebore? And how useful/necessary is that, compared to just using the 7 Max standard (whatever that is)?

You can order 6.5 300 or 338 max brass they are all the same and come with 7mm neck. At least you can have 50 brass to have formed and send in. I just ordered another 50 for my 7mm max but had to get the 6.5 max.

You can order 6.5 300 or 338 max brass they are all the same and come with 7mm neck. At least you can have 50 brass to have formed and send in. I just ordered another 50 for my 7mm max but had to get the 6.5 max.
That's great, thanks. Just to be clear: the shoulder is already formed to 7 Max dimensions? I'm an idiot for not realizing they are all the same, except in neck size, which is exactly the neck size I want LOL!

That's great, thanks. Just to be clear: the shoulder is already formed to 7 Max dimensions? I'm an idiot for not realizing they are all the same, except in neck size, which is exactly the neck size I want LOL!
Yeah order the one with *40 and they are already blown out and all come with 7mm neck. I do suggest setting shoulder back alittle mine were tight closing had to set them back but been working great. From what sherman told me there all the same brass just different stamps and have to open up or neck down

Yeah order the one with *40 and they are already blown out and all come with 7mm neck. I do suggest setting shoulder back alittle mine were tight closing had to set them back but been working great. From what sherman told me there all the same brass just different stamps and have to open up or neck down
Copy that, done and inbound. Thanks brother!

FYI u can send in a 7 Saum dummy round for OAL to the lands.

Reactions: Steel head
How much brass are you looking for?

I took a load out to 1 mile wasnt to impressed. Had other loads to test but couldnt, someone showed up and we have certain elr times. so went to main line shot at 813 and 860 yards. Had 183 smk at 813 shoot a 3 shot group the splashes were 2 shots same splash and the 3rd was about 1.5 inch to the left very happy with that. Next 2 shot were off plate to the right because of wind 5 shots prolly would of measured 5 to 6 inches. Had other loads do really well 197 smk.

Tchitcherine:
Call Rich and for the price of postage, he will send you a fired 7Max case

Just a standard 7 saum reamer works very well with ADG brass and 190’s are touching at 3.050ish when brand new.
Just cut a new 30” Barrel and I expect 2900 easily with great brass life and R26 or N565.

The 7 max is another option I’d look for but I won’t be leaving 7 saum for it.
I waffled on the same choices but went 7 saum because of die options and that cartridge has been great to me.
If I want more horsepower I’d want a bigger bullet with it.
Steel head, this is out of a short action...correct?