• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Shipping a rifle???

acidone

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2010
Chicago, Il
Does anyone know if ups or anyone will allow for a rifle to be shipped in just a locked pelican case. I'm having a really hard time finding cardboard boxes to fit a 1750 rifle case and i have no idea what to do
frown.gif

Any info would greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Re: Shipping a rifle???

I have seen them shipped thru usps in just a locked hard case. if you can stick the sticker on it it will more than likly ship.

Yes, locked Pelican is fine. Lock it, tape all the way around it and the latches in those 4 places too.

I'd stick the clear UPS label pouch on there with the return address and shipping address printed on a piece of paper with the tracking number too. Then let UPS stick there sticky mailing label too.

And, be sure to put an address label with "shipped to and from" inside the case as well. FEDEX has shipped them for me several times. I put nylon ties on the case through the lock holes and cinch them down as well as taping the latches with heavy duct tape. JMHO

I'm getting ready to ship mine to a smith by Fedex. I was told it would be like 120.00 to ship it overnight, cause thats the only way fedex ships them. Does that price sound about right ?

I just make boxes out of bulk cardboard, cut, bend and tape, it may not look pretty but it does the job

120 is way out, UPS is as low as 17, up to 50 for 48 states

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truckman11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm getting ready to ship mine to a smith by Fedex. I was told it would be like 120.00 to ship it overnight, cause thats the only way fedex ships them. Does that price sound about right ?</div></div>

no, only pistols ship overnight.

I use UPS. Rifles can go ground with signature required and no ammo. Usually costs around $30

I have shipped a rifle before in a case like that. I also put a couple of small padlocks on the case. Then taped the locks up very well. Then just sent the keys ahead in a separate envelope. This pretty well assures no opening of your package. It doesn't stop theft, but cuts down on any fooling around with your weapon.

I do not know who told you Fed-Ex will only ship overnight. I have shipped over a dozen rifles in the last year with Fed-Ex. Average cost was lower than UPS prices. And in the low 20's as far as a price is concerned. And yes Fed-Ex will accept that package. I have done it before.

Most shippers do recommend a box, or wrapping in colored paoer. Simply because your rifle case basically tells a crook to "STEAL ME". Tom.

My experience has been that they seemed to be more concerned about it going to an FFL than what it is shipped in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Truckman11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm getting ready to ship mine to a smith by Fedex. I was told it would be like 120.00 to ship it overnight, cause thats the only way fedex ships them. Does that price sound about right ? </div></div>

Not at all right. If it is a rifle it doesn't have to ship over night. It can ship ground and should arrive in about three days. It should cost around $20-$30 depending on how much you insure it for.

I work for FedEx. Our rules are: Anyting going on the Express side must go Priority Overnight (which can get pricey depending on destination and size/weight of the pkg.) Rifles and only rifles can go ground. Our ground shipements are generally cheaper and faster than UPS. And either the shipper or recipiant must be an FFL. Its pretty simple.

It is pretty simple. I ship rifles all the time and use Fedex exclusively. My company uses Fedex too. You are correct in that they are usually faster than UPS.
I like the folks at my local hub. They treat customers with much more respect than UPS and always smile.