• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Shooter Ballistics app now for iPhone

BryanLitz

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
The developer of the 'Shooter' ballistics app has just released the iOS version of this awesome program. You can see details, screenshots, etc here:

http://itunes.apple.com/app/shooter-ballistics-calculator/id478462401?mt=8

Here are some screenshots:
mzl.ydvuvagj.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.nlbexxhk.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.quhpbwvk.320x480-75.jpg

The iOS (apple) version of Shooter has all the same functionality as the android version including the same point mass ballistic solver and library of measured G7 BC's which makes it a highly accurate predictive tool.

The original (android) version of this program was actively developed with heavy input from this forum, and the resulting interface is very flexible and easy to use.

The Shooter app for android and iPhone is only $9.99.

Good shooting,
-Bryan

Re: Shooter Ballistics app now for iPhone

I've been waiting for this one since I switched to an iPhone....thanks for getting it done. Great program.

How does this compare to Ballistics FTE?

Are the BCs in "Shooter Ballistics" more accurate?

I suppose the next evolution of these programs is to have the same ballistic rigour but adapt the output to personal scope calibrations. Or are there programs that do that already?

I may be wrong, but I don't believe Ballistic FTE has Litz' BCs. I just checked a couple offhand that I know and they showed the manufacturer's numbers, not his. So it would be fair to say that the ballistics are more accurate. As for Ballistic's algorithms, if you use the JBM engine that would be as good as it gets...and I'm sure Shooter's rivals that.

Unfortunately, having only a 2nd gen. iPod Touch, I found Shooter is not available to me. Oh well, you can only go so far back in terms of support while keeping the features you want. :-(

I do not know about the bullet library in Ballistic FTE, or anything else about that program. The bullet library in Shooter includes my measured G7 BC's, and is the most accurate library.

Regarding solvers, JBM uses a different solver than mine (which is used in Shooter). However, both JBM and my solvers are properly written, and thus return practically the same outputs for a given input set (within round-off error).

Chanory,
Shooter does have a 'correction factor' input which allows you to account for your scope (or reticles) degree of off-calibration. The calibration factor is applied to the fire solution internally and you can take it right to the turret.

-Bryan

I have used both Bullet Flight and FTE on my iPhone. I downloaded Shooter today and have had a chance to work through it.

Shooter is easier to use than FTE and looks to be just what I was looking for in an iPhone app. Thanks.

QUESTION: Bryan- You show a G7 BC of .287 (for the Berger 185 LRBT) in your Shooter bullet library. Is this correct or is it still .283?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used both Bullet Flight and FTE on my iPhone. I downloaded Shooter today and have had a chance to work through it.

Shooter is easier to use than FTE and looks to be just what I was looking for in an iPhone app. Thanks.

QUESTION: Bryan- You show a G7 BC of .287 (for the Berger 185 LRBT) in your Shooter bullet library. Is this correct or is it still .283? </div></div>

.283 is the correct G7 BC for that bullet.

I bought it for iPhone and it seems like to good program, and the lay-out with both mils and moa is good. I will have to test it out to see its accuracy, but with Bryan's calculated BCs it has got to be good.

There is however a bug in your program. After you input all the information and you get your ballistics information, if you press the "shooter" button to go back, it kicks you out of the program.

I've been using Shooter for a little over a year now on my Android phone and finally got to give it a real test this weekend.

Did some 100 yard load development with my new Armalite 300 SAUM with the 210 Bergers. Never been past 100yds before. Only took a 2 shot average for mv, let the program auto-populate everything but the wind. Lucky enough to only have about a 3-4mph breeze from 5-7 o'clock so I ignored wind.

Cranked that turret out to 1105 yds and sent 3 shots to verify velocity with a long range drop test. All three were sub MOA and the center of the group was about 1/2 MOA high.

VERY acceptable since I let everything auto-populate from my GPS location. That's 3 first round coyote kills at 1100 yds if I had to make it happen.

(btw Brian. Thanks for the suggestion about the "BulletProofSamples" site. Tried 3 different charges 61.5, 62, 62.5 of RL17 with the 185 Bergers and all three were sub .6 MOA at 100)
I would have never even tested these bullets if I had to buy an entire box, but now that I know how well they shot...I'll probably be picking up some more.)

This is the best program I've used. I'll be glad to also have it on my iPad now.

Thanks Bryan!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan Litz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used both Bullet Flight and FTE on my iPhone. I downloaded Shooter today and have had a chance to work through it.

QUESTION: Bryan- You show a G7 BC of .287 (for the Berger 185 LRBT) in your Shooter bullet library. Is this correct or is it still .283? </div></div>

.283 is the correct G7 BC for that bullet.</div></div>

Thank you.

A "big-screen" version for iPad would be super...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nimzoblanca</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does Shooter work with Density Altitude input? </div></div>

Yes it does

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is however a bug in your program. After you input all the information and you get your ballistics information, if you press the "shooter" button to go back, it kicks you out of the program.</div></div>
I noticed this on some devices. It is fixed in the update that is pending approval by Apple.

Does Shooter support stepped (G7) BC? If so - how many? FTE and Bullet Flight have five slots for BC, but only four can be used. Also, if it supports stepped BC - does it take BC banded (average for e.g., a velocity band from 1500fps to 2000fps), or at-the-point (e.g., BC at 2000fps)?

And can I configure what units to have the output in? Because in my case I don't care to see adjustments in IPHY or MOA, so I'd prefer those not to clutter my screen...

Tnx!

Mouse,
You can input as many stepped BC's as you like, G1, G7, etc. You input a BC that's valid down to a min velocity, then give it another BC and lower velocity pair. The last BC always goes down to 0 fps. Also you have your choice of output units.
-Bryan

I downloaded this yesterday, & am still playing with it, but so far all I can say is awesome! My only complaint is having to change the number screen to get to the decimal for entering pressure. That's it. I'm going to read the manual again to see what I missed, but Shooter has just replaced my PDA & FFS that I payed 10X the $ for years ago.

Oh yeah. I'd REALY like to see Hornady's 30 cal 225gr HPBT in the bullet data base with a Litz BC...Hint. Hint.
wink.gif

Ive been using FTE w/JBM using Density Altitude. I downloaded the new Shooter and turned on the density altitude setting. Inputting the same data into both programs, using the G7 in FTE and Litz's in Shooter, I come up with some significant variations. Using my 6.5 load with the Berger 130's, (BC of .552) at 2,902fps, it shows a .89 mil difference in drop at 750yds (4.01mil FTE & 4.9mil Shooter). Now, I'm not sure which one to go by, and more so, I'm not sure why they are showing different values.

The BC in FTE for the 130 Berger VLD shows .552......where is the BC listed at in Shooter.

Any opinions?

I use this app for my 5.56 14.5 Noveske, works pretty well.

First round cold bore hit (i'm more of a cold shooter believer, tho) at 571m. Target was a painted 8" white dot on AR500.
App called for 20.8 MOA, I dialed 21 and hit the bottom edge of the 8" dot. Ya, no pics but tomorrow (friday) I'm gonna go shoot some more and post back.

-edit
shooting M855 under the "Gov't 62.0gr M855" bullet data, fwiw
great app tho

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan Litz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mouse,
You can input as many stepped BC's as you like, G1, G7, etc. You input a BC that's valid down to a min velocity, then give it another BC and lower velocity pair. The last BC always goes down to 0 fps. Also you have your choice of output units.
-Bryan</div></div>
This program provides the best BC input capability that I've seen so far.

Semi-related: Bryan, what do you think of BC's computed by http://www.border-barrels.com/drag.htm? I tried it for Berger Hybrid - got a striking match to what your book says, plus it extends the predictions to below Mach 1.3 (actually all the way to Mach 0.5)? <span style="font-style: italic">When the Web site works, that is.
mad.gif
</span>

I tried JBM drag calculator - but it seemed too far from what you measured for Berger Hybrid (and his inputs don't seem to allow for hybrid tangent-secant nose shape), nor for Hornady .308 AMAX 178gr. On the other hand, JBM calculator seems to take into account the barrel twist - could this impact the G7 BC computations/values?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dzlfarmboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had Shooter for my Droid phone and thought it was better than the curret Ballistic FTE on my I phone, might switch back now</div></div>
There are some advantages to FTE, like the ability to produce graphs, to mark PBR, etc. So I won't delete it from my iPod yet.

But Shooter definitely earned a place there, and will stay. Great and convenient program!

Arrrgggh. For some reason its not even showing up available for download in the App Store for me. My 32GB iPod Touch must be too old, or need an updated iOS?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Arrrgggh. For some reason its not even showing up available for download in the App Store for me. My 32GB iPod Touch must be too old, or need an updated iOS?</div></div>

Wouldn't load on my I pod, I touch either

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dagsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Arrrgggh. For some reason its not even showing up available for download in the App Store for me. My 32GB iPod Touch must be too old, or need an updated iOS?</div></div>

Wouldn't load on my I pod, I touch either</div></div>
I run it on iTouch 4, currently under iOS 5.0.1. I'd say you should consider an OS update.

Anyone experiencing a crash back to home when going back ("shooter" button) from the computed table/solution screen?

Mine is. It's not erasing anything per se, it's just a matter of relaunching the app and re-selecting the firearm, ammo and solving again.

I did the whole clearing from multitasking and relaunching rain-dance...still sent me back to the homescreen.

ver. 4.2.8 JB'D <----Maybe it's my version that's effing me up?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seankndy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is however a bug in your program. After you input all the information and you get your ballistics information, if you press the "shooter" button to go back, it kicks you out of the program.</div></div>
I noticed this on some devices. It is fixed in the update that is pending approval by Apple. </div></div>

First off I want to say thanks for an awesome app, I have it for Android and it's great. Very easy to use and plug in different loads and weapons.

I have a suggestion, and don't know how big a pita it would be, so if it's unholy difficult just disregard. Rather than degrees on a clock for windage input, something like a few of the lesser known (and more clunky and less refined) apps have done is provide the face of a clock for the windage reference. Put the hand where the wind is coming from and the solver uses that to reference wind angle.

IMO, its very simple and user friendly. Just a thought, thanks again for a great app!

Rich

blush.gif
^^ thanks ^^

(I swear it wasn't there the first time I read every post
whistle.gif
)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive been using FTE w/JBM using Density Altitude. I downloaded the new Shooter and turned on the density altitude setting. Inputting the same data into both programs, using the G7 in FTE and Litz's in Shooter, I come up with some significant variations. Using my 6.5 load with the Berger 130's, (BC of .552) at 2,902fps, it shows a .89 mil difference in drop at 750yds (4.01mil FTE & 4.9mil Shooter). Now, I'm not sure which one to go by, and more so, I'm not sure why they are showing different values.

The BC in FTE for the 130 Berger VLD shows .552......where is the BC listed at in Shooter.

Any opinions? </div></div>

In berger 130 vld bullet choice it is at the bottom of ammunition data. .2820 for G7 , which is what you should be using.
and you should be set on ICAO for bergers. If you use Litz's it doesn't show.
What is your actual shooting data? Try an entry that you already have verified
in the field and see how it matches up.

I just downloaded this app. As an FYI to everyone, the online user manual says in order to set preferences, use the Preferences button at the bottom right of the screen after you fire up Shooter. This is incorrect. You access the preferences via the iPhone Settings app. Scroll down to Shooter and select it. Then you can set a whole bunch of stuff including Density Altitude input.

So far so good, looks like a cool app.

Sean,

Would it be possible to add Maximum Ordinate output?

Ideally - as an optional extra column in the table, the value says how high above the LOS the bullet would climb at this distance given the computed adjustments for this distance.

If that's too complicated - perhaps as a per-trajectory value for the maximum range (and at what distance the bullet reaches that maximum height)?

Thanks!

Nimzoblanca, Thanks for helping me set the Preferences. I've been tinkering with that for a couple of days and couldn't figure that out.

Sean, I'm going to like this one. It is very well done. Thank you.

this has me back on the iphone band wagon for awhile

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Will Fennell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bryan,
I was an early adopter of "Shooter" for my AndriodX, and I am totally sold. I am now very happy I can run the same program on my Ipad.

Can I migrate my saved data on my Driod phone to my Ipad? </div></div>

If you register and sync your data to the website you may be able to sync it back
to the ipad. Let us know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A "big-screen" version for iPad would be super... </div></div>
Does it look like small Iphone sized window centered on Ipad screen with black area around?
I have an Ipad and worry about it too... It is sad Appstore doesn`t offer 15min free testing before purchase.

Just checked. It runs as "small-screen" version on Ipad2.

Look at your lower-right corner on the display after installing the app, and you'll see a "2x" button. Touching the button doubles the display size, practically filling your screen (on both my iPad & my wife's iPad2).

Yes, I see "2x" button, but scaled up picture is terrible
smile.gif

Any case it is better than nothing.

Did anybody manage to get <span style="font-style: italic">Graph</span> option to work (iTouch 4 running iOS 5.0.1)?

<span style="font-style: italic">Graph</span> just gives me a white (blank) screen. <span style="font-style: italic">Table</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">Solution</span> both work beautifully.

I noticed Shooter on iOS shows different gyroscopic stability factor than Shooter/Android and JBM Ballistic. Conditions/paramaters are the same. For Scenar 6.5mm 139gr, 1005hPa, +4C, 840 m/s stability factor should be 1.42, iOS version shows 1.47. It is supposely the reason why windage correction differs too between Android and iOS versions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did anybody manage to get <span style="font-style: italic">Graph</span> option to work (iTouch 4 running iOS 5.0.1)?

<span style="font-style: italic">Graph</span> just gives me a white (blank) screen. <span style="font-style: italic">Table</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">Solution</span> both work beautifully. </div></div>
The same problem on iPad2 running iOS 5.0.1.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anri</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did anybody manage to get <span style="font-style: italic">Graph</span> option to work (iTouch 4 running iOS 5.0.1)?

<span style="font-style: italic">Graph</span> just gives me a white (blank) screen. <span style="font-style: italic">Table</span> and <span style="font-style: italic">Solution</span> both work beautifully. </div></div>
The same problem on iPad2 running iOS 5.0.1. </div></div>

I've been in touch with Sean, the 1.1.1 update under apple review right now
should fix it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I noticed Shooter on iOS shows different gyroscopic stability factor than Shooter/Android and JBM Ballistic. Conditions/paramaters are the same. For Scenar 6.5mm 139gr, 1005hPa, +4C, 840 m/s stability factor should be 1.42, iOS version shows 1.47. It is supposely the reason why windage correction differs too between Android and iOS versions. </div></div>
I'm trying to reproduce this, but can't. Can you let me know if you're entering an altitude? Station pressure? What twist rate?