• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Shooter Ballistics app now for iPhone

Re: Shooter Ballistics app now for iPhone

Sean,

Is there any hope of running Shooter on a 2nd gen iPod Touch? I must be in the same boat as those guys on the first page of the thread; Shooter is downloaded but won't sync to my device. FWIW, I'm running the current version 4.2.1 update on this iPod. Thanks!

I downloaded Shooter to night for my IPhone 3 Gs but having some problems with it.

1. I shoot the 123gr Lapua Scenar in my 260 rem, I want to use G7 BC but when I change from G1 to G7 BC and try to save I get a message saying "Ballistic coefficients must be from .01 - 2."
(I enter 0.263 that I Got from Lapua) Min vel is set at 0.0.

2. I can't get atmospheric data from the GPS, all I got is temp and it's way off.
(positioning service is on and working)

Any one seen this?

Can't help you with the BC. The atmosphere, however: open your settings app then scroll down to Shooter and click on it. Under "Auto-populate atmosphere" make sure all the variables you want populated are set to "on".

Then go order a Kestrel so you can enter accurate atmospheric conditions. LOL

I got the BC part to work, had to write 0,263 not 0.263 (, vs.)

I got everything ON for the Auto atmospher but still no go.
I don't know where it gets it's data from (living in Sweden) but TFE works great
for weather data including altitude, temp, baro etc.

Did they change this ap recently? I just had to do a phone reset, & after I restored everything it's giving me slightly different solutions. Don't know why.

it only works on ios5 it looks like.. my gen 2 ipod touch wont even down load it..

looks like u need a gen 3/4 touch to run... that blows
frown.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

FTE can be "tricky" with some of the info you put in, and it will mess with your data. ive been using it for 2+ years along with FAC.. if shooter would run in my touch, i would buy it now... it dont..

I think it is set up to get the weather from our national weather service. It states
it in the user pdf iirc. I use DA off the kestrel so I haven't paid too much attention
to it's weather data entry. I don't understand the , vs . thing. Something to do with
a Euro i phone maybe?

Ring, Sean may be working on it. He stated the last update included some older
device compatibility. Maybe it just didn't pan out yet. I have a gen 2 sitting and
waiting as well. But up and running on the wifeys gen 3.

Great App, after putting in the same data from my Horus Kestrel everything matches up within 1% of the data inputed. Over all it is pretty spot on for data in comparison to Atrag. Although I haven't quite figured a way to out put in meters yet.

Go into settings in general settings. The choice is there for meters or yards.

Doh!
blush.gif
Tricky smart phones. Thanks

Is there a way to set a zero other than 100 yards? I zero at 250 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xr650rRider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a way to set a zero other than 100 yards? I zero at 250 yards.</div></div>
yes...

editammoprofile2.png

Found it after posting that. Seems like I chose Litz G7 and it skipped the rest of the ammmo setup page.

I received the same error as Ring, except that I downloaded the app on my computer so I didn't find out it was incompatible with my Gen 2 iPod Touch (iOS 4.2.1) until I tried to sync up the new software. I saw the iTunes note saying that Shooter would only work on Gen 3&4 iPods, but when it also said that it needs iOS 3.1 or later I thought I might get lucky.

Hopefully we'll get some older version compatibility soon...

Isnipe is a super program. On my other forum, a member had Shooter and Isnipe. He prefered Isnipe.

For $5.99 it might be worth a try. For all the good reviews that Shooter was getting around here I was gonna try it. Now not so sure......

I just discovered another thing Im not sure what to set, I use a NF with MLR reticle which is mil based. In the Shooter app I must specify which Mil-Dot type my reticle has, USMC or Army. What should I use to get it right with MLR?
Can't find the info in the NF reticle manual.

The TMR Johan H is referring to does not have dots so it wouldn't really matter unless you are measuring with the reticle. Then you don't want to use Army with a Nightforce which is based upon the USMC figure.

But then depending upon how the software converts from drop to mil adjustment, it might actually matter for more than just measuring.

USMC - 360 degrees = 6283 Milliradians
Army - 360 degrees = 6400 Milliradians

Thanks for answering. I do use it for measuring a lot in field target competitions but I also se that I get different adjustments depending on if I chose USMC or Army. For example at 1000m with USMC gives me 10.3 mil and with Army 10.5 mil, small difference but anyway.

Beginning to loose faith in the software before actually used it for one single shot yet. :-(

in the manual..

Mildot Spec - If you have a scope which uses Mils, you can specify what mildot spec it uses. 1 USMC Mil = 3.438 MOA; 1 Army Mil = 3.375 MOA. This may be in your scope's manual or you could contact the manufacturer and ask them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johan H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Beginning to loose faith in the software before actually used it for one single shot yet. :-( </div></div>

Don't loose faith, it's working just like it should. You just need to make sure all the input is good. Garbage in garbage out.

Keep asking if you have any more questions.

There are differences in the mil dots however. The Marine mil dot is stamped on wire and the dot is 1/4 mil length or longwise. The Army dot is etched on glass and is 3/4 of a minute of angle or .22 mil. While the Marine dot can be easily broken down into 1/8th increments the Army dot can be easily broken down into 1/10 increments. This is very accurate and breaking the mils smaller then 1/8 or 1/10, when ranging with mils, is asking for a disaster and a miss at longer ranges. The mils are easily broken down to 1/4 mil increments for leads, wind calls, and holds for elevation or missed shot correction. None of our students have had any real problems with misidentification of 1/4 and 3/4 mil increments. It is called training.

For the whole article.
http://www.snipercountry.com/articles/RealTruthAboutMilDots.asp

Question regarding muzzle velocity. Is there a way to calculate actual MV based off of chrony measurements taken 10' from muzzle? For those who use chronograph, do you just use your recorded velocities in ballistic calculators or figure actual MV?

Thanks, David M

Thanks! Quick follow up, is there a general rule of thumb to get you in the ballpark without accessing the link you provided. Is there a percentage of velocity that is generally lost over the first 10'?

David M

not much, could be 10 to 30fps, but add to the fact that chronos arnt 100% accurate and you can see why the "math" way is more accurate..

the basic "math" is
known good BC
"average FPS"
= drop

now go out to 3 or 400y and get "real world" drop..
compare that to you predicted drop..
adjust FPS up or down to match ...

played with a friends Shooter on iPhone, trying to help him set it up. However, unlike the Android version, the iPhone version does not let you copy ammo between 'Rifles' so you have to basically dupe everything. Be nice if you could dupe stuff in both versions equally.

Makes sense...Thanks!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not much, could be 10 to 30fps, but add to the fact that chronos arnt 100% accurate and you can see why the "math" way is more accurate..

the basic "math" is
known good BC
"average FPS"
= drop

now go out to 3 or 400y and get "real world" drop..
compare that to you predicted drop..
adjust FPS up or down to match ... </div></div>

Purchased. We'll see how it works in a few weeks at 950 yards. =]

Will there be capability for bluetooth connection to a Kestrel in the future?

Anyone having this issue?

87e09421.jpg

As you can see, in the solution screen, the windage corrections are actually in the elevation layout area. There is no information in the windage area except for the main correction by unit.

I found another problem/bug in the software.

Last weekend I zeroed a load for colder temp, the temp was -10 celcius.

Going in under ammo and typing in all the data including powder temp and Velocity Variation (took the V0 from warmer temp and calculated for the V0 I got now, just shot thru chrono)

Now I should have the Powder Temperature option in the main screen but I dont. BUT, if I change tho Powder Temp from -10 c in the Ammo screen to 1 c (plus that is) the Powder Temperature option is shown in the main screen. This means that you cant zero a rifle in colder weather then +1 c and get the Powder Temp correction to work.

Beside this the Automatic Weather data does not work at all here in Sweden. And when typing in a BC (for exampel 0.263) for typing . in Shooter I have to put a , which the software retypes to a . very confusing when a error message is shown but no explanation to what is wrong.

I LOVE the idea of both Powder Temp and the Velocity Calibration (wich works good) but with all the bugs I have found so far I cant say it even should been released for the iPhone yet.

I have used ExBall for years, FTE, iStrelok, JBM and so on so it´s not that I cant input the right data. The software is not ready and stabel. In time I think Shooter for iPhone will be great but I feel it´s not ready yet.

Where can one download the manual for Shooter?
I also tried both the Litz G1 and G7 settings for the Sierra 155 Palma and got 4 mils less to 1000 yds with G7 and it was too flat to believe. The G1 provides with Exbal more or less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spr1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where can one download the manual for Shooter?
I also tried both the Litz G1 and G7 settings for the Sierra 155 Palma and got 4 mils less to 1000 yds with G7 and it was too flat to believe. The G1 provides with Exbal more or less.</div></div>

http://shooterapp.net/

top of the page

have you shot to 1k to confirm witch is right?

1st.. look at your chart.. at what distance does your round hit 1350fps?

if 223 or 308 that will "probably" 600 to 900y
if 260/6.5 that may be 1200+

get some 3x3 cardboard or "small targets" like clays... set them up at 600y 700 800 900 1000 get REAL world dope for your gun at those distances if 6.5, you may want dope to 1300 and that real info on this page

IMG_0374.PNG

u r now good 2 go..

this takes your "real life" and matches the data to the "predicted" to give you a more true curve..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ring</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spr1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where can one download the manual for Shooter?
I also tried both the Litz G1 and G7 settings for the Sierra 155 Palma and got 4 mils less to 1000 yds with G7 and it was too flat to believe. The G1 provides with Exbal more or less.</div></div>

http://shooterapp.net/

top of the page

have you shot to 1k to confirm witch is right? </div></div>

Thanks. No shooting yet, but I was having a hard time thinking that with 16" barrel velocities I could get to 1000 with 7 mils.....

do u have correct MV for your gun?
7mil is 24moa, ya.. sounds a bit flat for a 308,

168 fed @ 100 zero is about 12 mil,

a .308 155gr Hornady A-Max
G7 BC, @ 2780 fps 200y zero

is 1000 12.4 moa / 3.6mil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TAC308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Will there be capability for bluetooth connection to a Kestrel in the future? </div></div>

Please provide a response to the question I asked above.

Also, I have looked high and low (and I've read through the manual) for a way to access the Velocity Calibration and I have found nothing. Please help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TAC308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TAC308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Will there be capability for bluetooth connection to a Kestrel in the future? </div></div>

Also, I have looked high and low (and I've read through the manual) for a way to access the Velocity Calibration and I have found nothing. Please help.</div></div>

Within the Trajectory Table you can invoke the Muzzle Velocity Tool (Velocity Calibration in iOS)

so, when on this screen

IMG_0349.PNG

did u try that?

on that screen the arrow at the top right of the screen. You should see the option there

Thanks guys. That worked. I wish the instructions were in the manual...

So, do you let the program calculate then input the actual adjustments to get on target? And if so, does that then re-calibrate the program to better match the rifle?

Kestrel uses a serial port profile that apple doesn't support. Nothing that Kestrel or Shooter can do about it, it's up to apple. Unless Kestrel could
add another data system in their new products that is compatible. I have no
idea what that would involve for them cost wise though.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3647

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TAC308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TAC308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Also, I have looked high and low (and I've read through the manual) for a way to access the Velocity Calibration and I have found nothing. Please help. </div></div>