• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up shooting at manatee gun range, Florida

Re: shooting at manatee gun range, Florida

Hey look who's back! Haha! Sorry guys I've been busy with the new house and my new unit (and the new girl, haha!). I hope everybody had a great Christmas and New Years.

My 260 from SAC is almost done and I'm ordering a PST 4-16 FFP so everything should be showing up in a month or so. On top of all that I need to set up to reload in 260. I will be back on my feet again here in a little bit.

QQ, how's your PST treating you?

Take care everyone.

Both PST's are fantastic Joey! Good to see you are still among the vertical; You don't post, you don't write...

laugh.gif

I have to get some more loads done!

See you there James.

Hope everyone is off to a Happy New Year.

Im dying to get down there with you guys.
Finishing up a BFPU AK just need to send it off to get
cut down and pinned and she is good to go.
I cant wait to take the AK out as far as possible and see what
she can really do.
That and order more ammo for my MA-Ten

AL

Al, You should have come out today. It was an awesome day to smash the living shiz out of the steel today!

QQ and James, Im glad you guys came out! It made the day that much more fun! I was glad to get some F-ing payback on my steels today!

Hurry up and get your shiz in gear Hotfizzle!!! Get your azz out here and smash some steel!

How about Sunday Feb 5th for the next get together?

Laters!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Al, You should have come out today. It was an awesome day to smash the living shiz out of the steel today!

QQ and James, Im glad you guys came out! It made the day that much more fun! I was glad to get some F-ing payback on my steels today!

Hurry up and get your shiz in gear Hotfizzle!!! Get your azz out here and smash some steel!

<span style="font-weight: bold">How about Sunday Feb 5th for the next get together?</span>

Laters!!!!

</div></div>

Im in!!!
I will be there on the 5th regardless

AL

Been to Manatee twice now great range, would like to know what size are the 1000 yard targets? Thanks

Hogrider. The gongs at 1k are various sizes. I think they start and 7 inches and the biggest in the center being 20. Im not sure tho.

In case you guys aren't Football fans, there is some kind of game scheduled on either side of a lame concert of tired medleys by some hag named Madonna on the 5th.

Of course that won't start til 6:30 or whenever the NFL assholes calculate the highest probability of non football fan viewers will be watching.

For the commercials, the hag and what else....Something else occurs.................Oh yeah a football game.

I have family in town that weekend so I won't be able to join you guys and shoot the chains, brackets, posts or other target supports!

laugh.gif

Then who's going to break stuff if your not there.

what the hell I guess i'll have to give it ago

Made it out there from New Port Richey for the first time last Thurs. I was amazed at the number of shooters there for a weekday, in the middle of nowhere! Not packed, but pretty busy.

Our first foray past the 200M we normally shoot at Hernando.
Unfortunately, it was windy as hell, gusty at better than 15. Fortunately it was at most 1/4 value, sometimes closer to 12:00 so it wasn't too frustrating.

The RO's told me it's frequently windy there, which sucks. Is there a pattern to when/when not to go? I guess this time of year with fronts coming and going is worst, and the dog-days sweat your ass off summer months the best...

The mirage was wicked as the sun heated up the sand. The real downside to this place is that you can't bring your own steel, and they don't have any until the 565 mark.

We found paper at 300 was it. Any further, couldn't see shit from the mirage- no way to see your hits, so what would be the point?

They need to place appropriate sized steel targets at least at 400 and 500 yards.

I like the place, and we'll definitely be back, but no steel until 565 sucks, in my opinion.

Does anyone know why you can't bring your own steel here- I can see not allowing any inside 300 yards if they want to be ultra conservative, but come on...from 300 on out, what's the risk?

Anyway, done bitching...
The facility is phenomenal, and the RO's, and everyone else there, is just as polite and helpful as can be. The golf carts are pretty cool too- but I could see how there could be a shortage on busy days...

Who told you that you could not bring your own steel out?

I only ask because Ren just brought his out the last time we met up

I think he means you cannot put steel any closer than the 565 line. The RO's frown on that. Ever see the video of the 50 cal coming back and knocking the shooter on his ass. Thats why they wont allow it.

Sorry you had so many problems and needed to vent it out. Most of the time we have the opposite problem... we want to put the steel out further than the 500m and 600m line. There are larger plates on the right burm now at the 500m line. I think they are two 8 inch plates and a square.

If you think the mirage is bad now, wait till summer! I usually run around 10-12x on my optic and I havent had any real problems with mirage, and we can pretty much always spot our hits/misses at 500m.

I have put clays on the 300y burm, the little one on the left, and we usually put clays on the 400m burm as well. I dont know what else to tell ya other than 500m isnt really that far.

The wind is what it is. Most of the time its from the right, but it does shift from behind to the right quite a bit. Its great practice learning to read it and adjusting for it.

Start going more often, dial down your magnification, and learn to read the wind, and those pescally steels at 500m will start to regret you showing up!

Thanks for the comments Ren.
Yeah, on the one hand- we were a bit bummed by the wind given that it was our first long range outing...and naturally, a 14 year old wants hits on every shot!

As you noted, and as I explained to them- you only learn, by doing- and we need to begin getting the experience of doping the wind, and forget about the frustration of misses.

ACTUALLY, we all did well on the 565 gong. This was our very first time needing to dial windage and elevation, and the Strelok program on my Droid did the job well. Believe it or not I don't have a Chrony yet (haven't needed one for 200M), but that's on the list to get things nailed down. My estimations for MV based on the load tables was pretty much spot on.

I found out the damn Nitrex scope I just put on my 14 year old's Savage didn't even have enough internal adjustment to get to 600, so I just got in a 20 MOA base that should do it. I need to do some more load development too. Like I said, haven't really needed to load for velocity because we've been shooting at "short" range, but now that's changed. He's been running 43.5 grains of Varget in this .308 and it gives great accuracy, I just need to find another node a bit hotter that'll deliver.

I was proud of the fucker...despite his scope not being able to handle it, he held off, and after me spotting him the first few rounds, delivered consistent hits on the gong. Both me-with my Mosin Nagant sporter- and my older son with his 6.5 Grendel, also had decent success at that range, given our first time out with the wind howling pretty good.

You are correct, the RO did say we could bring our own steel (after they inspect it) and place it on the berm behind the gongs at 565. I didn't drive down there to see it- is it 600?

Actually, I like the idea of putting the steel plate directly on the berm. As beginners, it's easier to spot the hit precisely that way. I have 12" and 6" AR500 plates I'll bring next time.

I never really considered the fact that there could be a ricochet danger from that distance. Hell, at Hernando you can put up any steel you want at pretty much any reasonable distance on the 200M range.

I'm looking forward to the next trip. I did this one on Thursday (they were both out of school on break)figuring I'd avoid any weekend crowding (and I did) but coming back up I-75 through New Tampa was the usual rush hour nightmare.

Fortunately we can always dial down our 20X scopes, but we'll certainly need to become more proficient with lower magnification when summer arrives.

One question...

Since we're going to start going there on weekends, is one day better than the other (crowd-wise), and is there ever a problem where it gets too crowded to get a bench? It would suck to do four hours of driving, and not be able to shoot.

Yes it is tough teaching patience when to the younger guys when they are so used to instant gratification with everything else they do. My wife (before our son) used to come with me quite a bit and was doing pretty good when we were going regularly. Thats the key... go ... alot... thats the only way your going to learn.

You will more than likely need some kind of stands for your steel. They will not want it laying on the burm where it will cause the rounds to glance off and go out of the range area. Thats why I like the new plates they put on the 500m burm. Its alot easier to see your misses now. You can also put some clays on the burm to get your dope right as well. Take a look on page 17 of this thread to see the steels and stands I bring.

QQ will disagree...as his loads are kinda hot in my opinion. 45gns o' Varget. As far as your 43.5 load, thats perfect in my book. My load for my other rifles..FN SPR's was 43.7 under a 178amax and I could make solid hits out to 800 and 900 yards when we were allowed to put steel out that far. My current load is a cushy 42.5 varget 178amax, it takes 4.1 mills to get to 500m ( my 43.7 load was 3.8, but a longer barrel helps too). If you have the load, learn the dope, your already there. My other load is a 43 gn of RL-15 and a 175smk. Both work well and smash steel. I didnt crono either, yeah... not doing my homework like I should, but I got the dope down and Im crushing steel and clays out as far as the RO's will let us shoot.

The 600y mark is the little notch in the right side just before the long ditch starts down to 1000.

Sometimes you smash the shit out of it, and sometimes you go home frustrated. You just have to learn from it and adapt.

Im trying to get out there once a month, usually the first Sunday so maybee we can all get into a routine. The next time I will be going will be on the 5th of Feb. They key is to try and get there early. Hard with a 4 hour drive, but right now its silly season with the snow birds...so its busy during the week and weekends.

Oh.. and as far as 20x. Id dial that down. TDR ususally shoots at max magnification at 25, but I cant read wind when the whole target fills the scope. To each their own.

Ren,

On our last trip, my 178 Hornady HPBT loads were 44.5 grains of Varget. I typically go 44.8 to 45 grains under 175s (SMK, Nosler HPBT), depending on brass brand.

Wanna,

It's crap shoot on the weekends as there are matches on both Saturdays and Sundays. In the past, when I have gotten there too late to get a bench at the big range, they put me on the bench rest range , west of the long berm. It goes to 200 yards.

I think the holidays explain the large crowd you experienced on that Thursday as I have been there on Thursdays and Fridays when it was very sparsely populated.

Hell, I took my oldest Daughter to WAC in St. Pete on the 30th and it was a mad house!

As to mirage, summer is when it really roils but even then, my understanding is that it pales in comparison to what the guys out in the desert southwest experience.

As to wind, Ren and I were out there in November when it was a full 20+ MPH and our wind reading was spot on: Our elevation sucked ass... But we didn't learn that until we gave up and went to fetch his targets! We had shot the shit out of his target post for three range cycles thinking we were missing right and left!

All in all, Manatee is worth every penny and I just wish I could get there more often!

If you want to save about 15 miles in travel, you can take a quick exit off 75 at Moccasin Wallow road (Exit 329?).
Go 7 miles east until you hit 301.
Go south about 1.5 miles to County road 675 and,
Go ~11 miles to the south east til you hit SR 64. Then it's about 6 -7 miles to Logue road.

A real pretty drive through some nice farm country.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ren,

On our last trip, my 178 Hornady HPBT loads were 44.5 grains of Varget. I typically go 44.8 to 45 grains under 175s (SMK, Nosler HPBT), depending on brass brand.

</div></div>

That right! I forgot they were a little cooler. I have tested...and they do very well, some 44.5 varget in Hornady brass with a 175 smk.

Thanks again for letting me test some of those "blem" 178's.
smile.gif

Im going to start using some of my RL-17 I picked up last year. On my next order im going to pick up some 190 smk's. They used to hammer out of my FN's.

Sorry you wont be there on the 5th brudda!

Thanks for the tip on saving some drive time...every bit helps!

Gives me an excuse to get my 19 year old home from UCF for the weekend once a month to send some lead with dear old Dad...
I'll make sure to drag their azzes out of bed early enough to make it down there close to opening time !

The wind there was pretty inconsistent in speed and direction, I guess the berms get things pretty "confused". I plugged in 15 mph and the direction and it gave me something like 1-1/4 minutes... which worked great some times, and others, well- it depended on what the wind was doing.

Sure, we watch the flagging...

But if it's gusting inconsistently in direction, and speed, is it better to just leave the windage alone, and hold-off based on your judgement of what the wind speed and direction is at the time you're ready to break the shot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The wind there was pretty inconsistent in speed and direction, I guess the berms get things pretty "confused". I plugged in 15 mph and the direction and it gave me something like 1-1/4 minutes... which worked great some times, and others, well- it depended on what the wind was doing.

Sure, we watch the flagging...

But if it's gusting inconsistently in direction, and speed, is it better to just leave the windage alone, and hold-off based on your judgement of what the wind speed and direction is at the time you're ready to break the shot? </div></div>

Thats why I dial down my magnification... so I can try and see what the wind is doing from myself all the way down to my target and make a hold and or dial. Sometimes I dial, most of the time I hold. Just depends on whats happening at the time....and sometimes...for me at least, its straight voodoo.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamesz71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys are we still on for Sunday the 5th? </div></div>

Yep...Im ready! I dont think QQ will be attending tho.

I loaded up 100 more 178gr amax,still have 50 more to load.But i just droped off my 308 to Jeff at CDI Presicion.To have the scope base holes on the action drilled straight with my 20moa base.

see if i can beat up the steal at 1000yards
if not,at least have enough elevation to shoot at 600yards without needing to hold over with a Quadraplex reticle

I will be there also and i think the wife is going to bring my son(age 7)out so he can shoot for the first time

Good to see you guys there yesterday! Thanks for letting me shoot the MA-TEN! That thing is a machine!

How does Sunday March 4th work for everybody for the next get together?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good to see you guys there yesterday! Thanks for letting me shoot the MA-TEN! That thing is a machine!

How does Sunday March 4th work for everybody for the next get together?

</div></div>

I had a blast. Good to see you too.
No problem glad you enjoyed the Drive
Thanks for letting me take a leisurely Ride in
the park with yours......smoooth

James nice to meet you brother...damn that thing has a kick. I liked it.

Im in for the 4th

AL

And I found myself cruising the classifieds when I got home.

Greetings FL members, I need a favor from someone who can get to Lehigh Acres without too much trouble. PM me if you or friends/family are in that area.

Almost ready to shoot again. Still waiting for my scope and rings and maybe a little load development before streching her out. Here's a little preview of my new baby.

260 built by Mark Gordon at SAC

SAC.jpg

Is anybody local interested in purchasing a custom FN SPR A2? Here are some pics. Full details will be on the for sale section.

IMG_3251.jpg

IMG_3255.jpg

IMG_3248.jpg

I can't wait to smack some steel with you old farts, uhmmm I mean gentlemans again.

Hey Joey... Good talking to you today. Man she is looking good!!!!! Glad you'll be back to smashing some steel mang!!!!

I wouldnt be in such a hurry to sell your FN. If I remember right that damn thing was a hammer!

Same here bud. I know I'm going to miss my FN but I dont need two bolt guns right now. Besides I need to save for that S&B right?
wink.gif

Here's some better pics:
IMG_3440a.jpg

IMG_3452a.jpg

IMG_3431a.jpg

Whipper snapper...Stay off my lawn!

Sad to see that one go Joey as I well recall spotting your many and several misses with that beautiful rifle, Sniff,
cry.gif

Anybody coming out today? Looks like my youngun is committed to being at the Sarasota rowing venue all f-ing day! It's only 23 miles or so from Manatee...And I have all my gear in the truck so...

Looking forward to seeing youz guyz soon!

not this weekend heading of to work,also oncall

hope to see you out there some other time

I know QQ I'll miss her but I've seen the light with the 6.5's. I can't wait to get going again. I know I'm going to suck big time. I've been shooting pistol a lot lately though.

I don't think I'll make March 4th. Powder Valley hasn't shipped my booolets yet on top of that I'm still waiting on my scope.

When would be the next outing Dale?

Hi Guys,

Its looking like im not going to make it on the 4th. Ive got too many things up in the air right now.

If the stars line up.... maybee March 25... ugggg...

SHieze... I cant make the 25th either. Dang it... I dont know when Ill be able to go next. Probably early April.
frown.gif
mad.gif

I was thinking about heading out on the 4th. What time do you usually get out there?

Between 9:30-10:00,have to have my Sunday morning breakfast with the wife.
Also should have the grendel totally finished(pst,prs and some other goodies)

I'll be down there for sure on the 4th.
Going to setup on the right again.
Bang steel get up walk 3 spots over and shoot the AK and pistol. That was perfect.

Going to try and setup like that again from the get go this time.
Then Ill be able really get some quality practice time with all my girls on Sunday.

AL

James if you are going to be there this Sunday Ill bring
you another ammo box. If you want one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Guys,

Its looking like im not going to make it on the 4th. Ive got too many things up in the air right now.

If the stars line up.... maybee March 25... ugggg...

SHieze... I cant make the 25th either. Dang it... I dont know when Ill be able to go next. Probably early April.
frown.gif
mad.gif

</div></div>

Thats kind of a bummer.
On the brightside it gives you time to put together a Semi....
cool.gif

AL