• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up shooting at manatee gun range, Florida

Re: shooting at manatee gun range, Florida

wow jeff, thanks for the heads up that this thread was here
smirk.gif

how about a meet up on Friday the 16th? i dislike going to manatee on Saturdays, to many mall ninja's.

scrambler: i was planing on making the FSN shoot, but my father was kind enough to give me the plague. don't think i could take the MG noise without suckstarting my S&W to end the pain. only another 3 months or so till the next one anyway.

When were you going to tell me what the hell this means???

☻/
/▌
/ \

I thought I mentioned it to you at WAC last week i.e., REN, TDR, and the unbelievably young and modest, JoeyHotFizzle.

Frankly, I was wondering why you were holding back! Too busy on the hot girlfriends thread?

Hope you're feeling better.

☻/
/▌
/ \

post it in html and it should come out like this:

bobho.jpg

but alas, this forum is UBB and it sucks the nutz.

i recall you mentioning shooting with a couple of guys down at manatee. but you failed to mention where you met them or the significance of said meeting. since you tend to ramble, i just chalked it up to some inside intel you forgot to mention. since i have a narrower interest than you in area's of this forum, i had not thought to check this subforum for intel. had i not seen another thread pop up in the preview bar that caught my interest, i might never have known that a group of hide members was planing on having regular meetings at my favorite range. next time, give a guy a heads up
shocked.gif

grin.gif

Is that some cryptic type of aerobics / dance beacon?

laugh.gif

What about the story about how the Lyman rear peep sight, originally bought for my model 94 Win. .45 colt,( but lacked the balls to drill and tap), turned out to fit dead nuts on my .30-30 Winchester. I thought it was very succinctly told!

Honestly Jason, I thought you were holding back on this thread. It's not like these were PM's afterall!

it's bob. and he is waiving, not dancing.

you did in fat tell the story of your lyman sight. not to me, but to the kid and his girlfriend at the pistol line. had i not been wearing my electronic ears, i'd have likely missed that info as well.

i generally check FSN for group meet ups, i honestly never thought to check for it here on the hide. like i said, i only really monitor a few sections of this forum, reloading, smithing, S2, bear pit, and maggie's. beyond those, i'll only see it if i find myself with little else to do.

but hey, i found the thread (no thanks to you). so how about next friday? it's more fun busting your balls in person than online anyway
laugh.gif

Friday may work out well, though it turns out I'll be driving past there midweek on business!

With my exciting new 20 MOA base, I'll look forward to wasting 175 grain bullets, over my weak Varget load, in my too short barrel, that won't reach the 1000 yard targets...

I presume you will no longer be "Typhoid Jason" by that time?

i have the bubonic plague, it's retro. typhoid was soooo last century :p
i'll either be better, or dead. any way you slice it, you shouldn't contract anything if that's your concern
laugh.gif

as for the weak varget load, why not add a grain to 50 rounds or so? just in case
wink.gif

From 44.9 grains to 45.9 grains is still woefully below Mit's load of 47.5 grains under the 175 SMK.
crazy.gif

The fact is, even with my wholly inadequate scope base, I was still making some hits at 1000 using my present load (44.9 gr of Varget, BR2, 175 SMK, 1XF win case, 2.815" COAL).

I'll bump up .5 grains as I believe there is safe margin for that, but my main object is to shoot it with the improved scope adjustment tolerance I now posess, as I believe the 175 at that load remains super sonic, and is more accurate than my ability to shoot it!

Wow... 47.5 grains under the 175 SMK? That is ridiculous!

Me and my Pops are going to be there tomorrow at around 0830. Hope you guys can make. Maybe "Gramps" can teach me a thing or two about long range shooting
wink.gif

Can't make it manana. Next Friday is looking favorable though.

I can teach you carpentry, epecially finish work and of course door and hardware mastery. Humility prevents me from offering to teach my ability to thrill women, but my vulger utterances, ability to spit long distances (with considerable accuracy too!), loud whistling and observations about the human condition, are available for a low fee!

Wish I read this earlier I could have gotten Sunday off and come out and shot some.
But I am working at the Gun Show in Palm-ghetto. 9-4

Next time. COOKIE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best thing you can do is dont do what Mit does..I have seen those guys do some dumb ass shit.. </div></div>

Trust me Jeff, I make my own decisions! I thought the old deaf, codger was crazy as a loon when he told me his Varget load for 175! He's an affable guy and is obviously salty, but I'll keep plodding along, gutlessly looking to shoot safe loads...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't make it manana. Next Friday is looking favorable though.

I can teach you carpentry, epecially finish work and of course door and hardware mastery. Humility prevents me from offering to teach my ability to thrill women, but my vulger utterances, ability to spit long distances (with considerable accuracy too!), loud whistling and observations about the human condition, are available for a low fee! </div></div>

Gramps you missed out, the wind was only blowing around 3 knots today although mirage was pretty bad at around 1100. You would have been proud to see me connect 4 shots at 1000 yards and 5 shots at 500 meters with my measly 308 load.

You are right about them damn snowbirds and rednecks on the weekends. Two guys started shooting their "Dragunovs" to my left and started hitting my face with hot brass flying at about 50mph. Thank God we started shooting early, we had at least 2 hours of good shooting. And of course there were those two pretty boys with their DTA 338 LM and all their high tech low drag gear. Took them 2 hours to zero the damn thing... They even pulled out a Kestrel to measure the non existent wind.
confused.gif

Moral lesson of my rambling: Listen to your elders because they are right almost 99% of the time. Never on a weekend again...

PS: I thought spitting accurately at a distance will attract the opposite sex??? Damn! I got schooled again.
grin.gif

The only thing that is going to suck more than being at our ranges on weekends leading up to hunting season, is being in the woods later on when the mainiacs are shooting at snapping twigs and fleeting shadows!

So what about Friday? Jason might make it if he survives the plague! Speaking of whom, I have seen no posts from him today...

Did you have a good time with Mr. HotFizzle Sr.? I got up about 5:30 and thought about going in spite of the suspected (Now confirmed) crowd. But I had door and frame "hardening" to do here, as there have been break in's in the neighborhood and I needed to address some issues.

Is it any drier down there at the 1000 yard racks? The last 100 yards were swamp two weeks ago. Made for careful traversing to avoid going shin deep! Why do you note mirage at 1100? Were you launching rounds into the Duette preserve?

queequeg So what about Friday? Jason might make it if he survives the plague! Speaking of whom said:
blush.gif

sorry dear, did you miss me?
grin.gif

I'm definitely in for Friday. just finished loading up a few hundred for the occasion. nice thing about the plague, nobody wants to hang out with you, so you can actually get sh** done.

BTW, figured out why my .40S&W and 9mm were shooting low. i load the 180grTC .40 and the 124grRN 9mm with the same powder bushing for 6.1gr AA#5. unfortunately this time i used the bushing for my sisters 38spl, having forgotten that it was the last item loaded with that measure (which is normally reserved for 9 and 40) and ended up with only 5.5gr AA#5. so i'll have to aim high for 500 rounds of each as i'm disinclined to pull them down and rebuild.

I will try and make it Friday. Looks like they expect a cold front coming thru about then so we will see about the rain. I actualy like the rain . Drives the vermin away. If it rains the hunters and snowbirds will stay home.

Train Hot, Train Wet, Train Cold, Always train in the worst possible conditions so a nice day is a really Good Day. Besides the fact you will have the range to yourself or share it with another dedicated shooter like you.

Great range! I am about a 3.5 hr drive so I only make it there about 5-6 times a year. Next time I go I need to get together with some of you guys. Please PM me next time you go and if you are in the Fort Lauderdale area maybe we can car pool??

I always go on Saturdays and have never had to wait. FYI

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TDR911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will try and make it Friday. Looks like they expect a cold front coming thru about then so we will see about the rain. I actualy like the rain . Drives the vermin away. If it rains the hunters and snowbirds will stay home.

Train Hot, Train Wet, Train Cold, Always train in the worst possible conditions so a nice day is a really Good Day. Besides the fact you will have the range to yourself or share it with another dedicated shooter like you. </div></div>

rain just means you can see the trace easier
smile.gif
hope to meet you on friday.

You guys that are able to go during the week all SUCK !!!!!

smile.gif

I wish I could go during the week but Ive got to sell my soul to be able afford my habit!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys that are able to go during the week all SUCK !!!!!

smile.gif

I wish I could go during the week but Ive got to sell my soul to be able afford my habit!

</div></div>

I tried hypnosis on you last week. There is a lot of flu going around... Just saying.

Talking about flu... I was tested for H1N1 today because I've been having a mild fever and flu for four days now. I'm glad it's a different strain of flu virus... So I was forced to stay home for at least three days - no complaints there.

Gramps (well you're really not that old but it's easier to type than queequeg or Jeff
grin.gif
), the range was pretty dry and was freshly mowed when I went Sunday. I had a great time. Your load is pretty impressive over a dozen hits at 1000 yards? Holy crap that's some mad skillz right there. I think I only hit the 20" target maybe 10 times out of 40 rounds, I was testing three different Scenar loads. The 565 was a little easier but not much. What rifle do you shoot? I don't think I've seen your set-up here on the hide.

I have duty again this Friday and all weekend long so no go for me. You guys have fun and take care. Don't let them snowbirds ruin your day... I swear one "Cold Range" we had was 30 minutes long...

My most capable .308 is a mildly customized REM SPS tac with a 20" barrel. TDR and I were spotting for each other a couple weeks ago and when I made hits on the steel it was very enjoyable.

I still have another 100 rounds of the same load with 175 SMKs and 200 of a similar Varget load with 178 AMAXs. I want to run some 155 SMKs too but may not have time before Friday with all the extra work I'm getting due to the crime wave in my neighborhood...

But I look forward to seeing what my scope elevation range is now with a 20 MOA scope base on it now!

Jason,

I cut the length of the base down and put the low rings back on per your derisive suggestion! Glad you're feeling better. Having just had the Flu yourself, is it possible Mr. Hot Fizzle's fugue will still be on him by Friday? He wouldn't want to infect his co workers would he?
shocked.gif

That would be less than considerate of their well being...
wink.gif

Hey queequeg,
Hope to get together with you again at Manatee.
You should be able to range out to 1500 yards wit the 20 moa base. I ran out of adjustment at 89.5 moa last weekend at 1500 yards. My S&B has 93 moa total. Still made a few hits there and did some great grouping at 1,000 yards. Absoulutly no wind and super fricking hot.
I hope to be going to Manatee early Saturday.
Still working on my reloads but I am getting real close.
queequeg What load are you shooting now? Looks like you are using Varget?

So, anyone coming out later this morning? It was great yesterday, not many people at all and clear, dry and only a light breeze.

Weather should be changing with a high probability of rain later, but still good for a day with few bone brains on the line!

Hope to see you there.

Anyone going this weekend??
I can't wait to try out my new 338 Lapua. I bought Rens 338 last week. Wow the muzzle brake sure does work.

I would go... but Im going to be exercising Das Boat !!!!

Yea.. the APA fat bastard works very,very well!

Can't make it this weekend Tony. Tampa Catholic rows the Mighty Hillsborough River tomorrow in the season's first head race regatta, and I will be there embarrassing, er, ah, I mean, cheering for, my youngest girl.

Reloading on Sunday as there will be nothing better for Tampons to do; unless watching the Patriots kick the shit out of the Bucs, (in freakin England for God's sake!) is considered a useful expenditure of one's time...

OK, I should be making it next weekend at Manatee. I need to load some more rounds myself. Been doing lots of prone dot drills at 100 yards. Just trying to get the basics fine tuned. Hope to see you next week.

Good luck at the regatta. This week I am in my own regatta. Floating down the peace river with friends, some good music & a captain morgan in hand. Last warm weekend to do so?? Hope not.

I hear that!! I didnt even make it out of the house. We ate at IHop last night and my stomach has been Screwed sense. Im still taking it easy, feels like really, really, bad seasickness. Sucks man...

Ill be good to go for next weekend though. Other than having to come back a little early for Holloween!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TDR911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good luck at the regatta. This week I am in my own regatta. Floating down the peace river with friends, some good music & a captain morgan in hand. Last warm weekend to do so?? Hope not.
</div></div>

By next weekend, does that mean Sunday 11/01? I am committed on the 31st for another crew regatta on Saturday.

Friday may be possible though.

My plans are early Saturday and leave early so I can finish setting up for Holloween.
The river was great , water a little cool but fine once you are in. We ate at the Navigator on the way home.

anyone going to be out next sunday 11/01 im going to be there so let me know

Hey jamesz71,
I can't make Sunday as I already have plans. I will be there Saturday early.
Did you finaly get your rifle back??

got it back to gether,but i work on saturdays
so i can only get out on sundays

No can do...Might get there Friday if I don't get to start a project I bid. I might be priced a touch high!

Committed this weekend as it turns out.

TDR you still going tomarrow??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TDR911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey jamesz71,
I can't make Sunday as I already have plans. I will be there Saturday early.
Did you finaly get your rifle back?? </div></div>

Keep me posted on when and what the shoots about? Coming from Ft. Lauderdale. What are the specs on the range? Bolt or auto. I can only shoot 100 yards down here at the local county park.

Hey gnfiter3,

I used to live in Pompano and shoot at Markham. The range at Manatee is not even a comparison. Well worth the drive.
They have multiple ranges form pistol . The main range has berms and varing distances all the way to 1,000 yards with gongs at 465 and 1,000. You can place targets anywhere out to 465 and then at longer distances as well.
Keep an eye on this post as we do go there quiet often.
I am not sure on this upcoming weekend which is the 21st/22nd.
You can shoot any caliber up to and including 50 BMG and Anzio shows up and shoots a 20mm.

Quee:
Other than the hot range call, Manatee seems like the place to be. You hear how people feel about Markham Park range here. I've been shooting at Markham for years, and watched it change. They have a reason for their tight control. Several accidental discharges that hit the building, shot out windows in the ladies room; all because the rules of safe gun handling were ignored by the patrons. Taking a hot gun off the line to the back bench and clearing it by pulling the trigger.

Guns are no longer allowed on the back bench, where I use to clean between rifle changes. The front rest are concrete so you have to be extra careful if you want to run a patch, not to ding your rifle. There is a method to their madness. You never could do rapid fire there. Like anything else, the headspace and timing of the patrons, dictates the restictions. The only thing that makes no sense, no smoking. All that gunsmoke but no tobacco. Yes, the AK shoot and bangers are there too. They have to go somewhere.

Wednesday as I was concentrating on that .516 .223 group, some guy started shooting some awfull smoking revolver. The powder had my eyes burning and watering. So between the smoke and the skeeters, it was time to go.