• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up shooting at manatee gun range, Florida

jamesZ71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2009
Sarasota,FL
looking to get some guys together to meet up and do some shooting at manatee gun range,located about 20mile east of I-75 off SR 64
no date set yet have to wait til CDI get finished with my rifle,but would like to meet up about once a month

Re: shooting at manatee gun range, Florida

Sounds good to me. What days and times?? I also have a friend that will come too. just getting started in long range and was looking to join Manatee range.
We are from Punta Gorda area.

I am ikn Sorrento florida close to Mt Dora. are you still looking to get some guys to shoot? i wonder how far you are from Mt Dora?

I'm ready. Any particular days are good for you???
I am going to PM you my cell so we can get together on what day.

I'll actually be there on Saturday this week (weather and schedule permitting)

I plan to be there in the morning (8-9ish and onward)

If you see a couple of guys shooting TONS AND TONS of shotgun ammo as fast as possible, that's probably me and my friend
smile.gif

Love hot bores in shotguns..... not so much in bolt rifles
smile.gif

I'll have my bolt gun there too to do a final sight-in @ 200. Gonna shoot SLOW.. will have to load up some rounds on Friday Night.
smile.gif

~SN

I've been considering a trip to Manatee for awhile now to get the opportunity to do some longer shots. How busy does the range typically get? If I go to my local range on a Saturday I can expect to get on a waiting list for a lane. I don't want to drive for 3.5 hours to find out that I won't be able to get a lane.

On saturday mornings sometimes they have a 500 yard type match but even with that, i had 1 station for 200yrds, 2 @ 75 yards and 2 at the pistol side for my stuff alone.

It gets full but you rarely have to wait. They've got a few 1000yrd stands, then like 20 500yrd and then 10 75 and now up to like 25 pistol lanes.

You won't be waiting long if at all. They open at 9am but really open the gates earlier than that.

Powder Burns, do you frequent Markham Park in Ft. Lauderdale?

I only ask because of the South Fl location. On sat/sun there's always a 1hr wait at LEAST at Markham... but those guys are asshole range nazis compared to the wonderful people at Manatee. And I've never had a wait like I do consistently at Markham.

I haven't been to Markham Park but its fairly similar to Trail Glades from what I hear. As a matter of a fact, both of those ranges are rumored to get shut down in about a month for lead reclaimation/enviromental bs. But thats why I asked, Markham Park and Trail Glades can be very busy ranges and if I had to drive for 3.5 hours to get to facilities like Markham Park or Trail Glades I'd be upset. To chrono I have to pick oddball times to shoot otherwise neighboring muzzle blast screws up my string data and all these AK guys keep dumping their wolf steel cases on my fancy high gloss walnut stocks.

Thursdays and fridays are by far the best days to shooot at manatee, the early guy gets there around seven, and he'll let you shoot right away...
the wind starts to blow around 9 or so, even on "calm" days

Hey SN13 , Markham is a zoo. and yes they are nazis. I hated shooting there.
I used to have a small gun store in Pompano. Tactical Design & Research.
I now live in Punta Gorda area. Way more relaxed. I used to shoot at Markham a lot.
I belong to a few different ranges over here. One is Desota gun range. Never anyone around. There are days I am the only one there.
As far as Manatee next Wednesday is my first trip there. Not sure as to early or late afternoon. If anyone wants to meet up.
I have some commitments on this Saturday or I would go then.

Bugholes Next Thursday is out for me How about the following week on thursday July 9th?? Early morning is fine for me. Jamesz71 ?? Can you make it??

I'm due to get back there soon! Last time there my brand new Rifle Basix trigger went super heavy. Took it inside to the head guy, Gene, who tuned it down to 10 ounces and there it has stayed for the last 7 weeks.

A great place to shoot, safe but no overwhelming, overbearing, rules committee crap about rapid fire, shooting at steel, bowling pins, assorted junk and crap, etc. I wish I lived closer.

Thursdays and Fridays are the shizzle but I was last there on a Saturday and there was room to for at least 6-7 others to shoot rifles, with no wait.

Thanks Jamesz71 on the Wed thing. I was going to call later this week. Problem Thursday is no go for me. Maybe the following week.

It Looks like July 23rd Thursday for me to shoot at Manatee. Any one else???? or is saturday better????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TDR911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It Looks like July 23rd Thursday for me to shoot at Manatee. Any one else???? or is saturday better???? </div></div>

Can't say you didn't provide adequate advance notice! I'd like to attend if there is no work conflict. Thank the Lord, it seems to be getting a touch busier here.

Sounds like fun.

i work all week and till 12 on saturday now,it really sucks

I can maybe do a Sunday. Saturday is my boating / fishing day so I am usualy beat on Sunday but I could make it work.

This is my first post. Im retired Firefighter,from Cincinnati. I'm now living in Port Charlotte, Florida. I am a member of the Desoto Gun Club in Arcadia. New to the long rang shooting. Have basis rifles, 700 remington sps in both .223 and .308. Willing to listen and learn. Yes, willing to get together most anytime. thanks for your consideration....

Hey fishguter2 . I was born in Western hills Cincinatti and live in the Punta Gorda area. I am also a member and go to the Desoto range. What day or days are good for you to shoot??

OK Manatee on Friday July 24th I will be there in the morning. First trip there. 8:00 am
Anyone else???

what kind of rules does manatee have? do they allow transitions from primary weapon to secondary, rapid fire, speed reloads etc?

Do they have a place to do shoot and move stuff?

Give them a call at 941-322-0055.

They do matches there and are pretty liberal about rate of fire and numbers of targets posted.

I've only been 4 times so I can't answer your question.

I do enjoy the place though and would join if I lived closer. I may anyway!

Man it must be nice to go there in the middle of the week.
laugh.gif

Be sure to give those little gongs at 500m a work out! Im hoping to be there on either the 12th or 13th.

I had two exit devices to install at a project in Arcadia. I've been driving past the range each way, all week! So I put a hump on and knocked out 9 units on Wednesday so I could get done early today, and spend a few hours blasting shit!

Rained quite a bit but had fun shooting at various items of crap as well as those little popper gongs. 4" diameter poppers at 585 yards ( I was shooting pretty diagonally in relation to those little bastards!) equates to roughly 3/4 moa and it felt like it too damnit!

The 7 on the left are all still nice and Yellow for you!

Have fun.

Hey Ren & queequeg
We had a good day, slight to no wind day last Saturday. I worked the same gongs at 585 and then dialed out to the 1,000 yard mark. With my friend spotting 4 th shot and hit the top
1,000 yd gong. 12" gong ?? Felt good.
Great range , I actualy joined as a member and hope to go at least 2 times a month. Got the bug now.
We should be there on the 12th again, Hope to see you there. We usualy set up at the # 12 & 13 benches. I get there about 8 am or so.

The white big gong at 1000 yards is 20" is I'm not mistaken?

Do you guys want to do our own matches? Like FT/R type? 308 or 223 only and must be fired from a bipod in prone (that's right Ren no 338 LM's allowed!)? Target will be posted at the 500 meter berm. That would be the shit!

Me and Ren are in!
grin.gif

And don't worry guys I wont beat you all up........ That bad!
wink.gif

I dont even have my 338 in my grubby little hands yet and your already disqualifying it?...see how you are!

Thanks for leaving some yellow paint on there for me. Im sure after I go they will still have the same amount on them! The last time Joey and I went the wind ( yes I will blame wind) was blowing a gail and I was having a heck of a time hitting anything. I was my first time shooting those distances so I think I was a little excited and probably pulled more shots off target than the wind did.

I cant wait to go back tho! Ill have a new toy to shoot and develop some loads for!
grin.gif

Ill try and get there early... but somebody.. cough(joey) chases ho's all night so he needs to get over his hangovers before he can come out and play.

There is a lot to be said for getting there early! I'll see what I can do to get there on the 12th as well, if there isn't going to be a club match that day.

I'd love to make it out there next saturday if possible...the range here in miami-dade just closed.
cry.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a lot to be said for getting there early! I'll see what I can do to get there on the 12th as well, if there isn't going to be a club match that day. </div></div>

Just called... no match other than some kind of pistol match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ren</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a lot to be said for getting there early! I'll see what I can do to get there on the 12th as well, if there isn't going to be a club match that day. </div></div>

Just called... no match other than some kind of pistol match.

</div></div>

Then it's on like Donkey Kong! Bring your shooting mats guys!

Oh and yeah here's a picture of the rifle that's going to kick YALL's butt!

100_1087.jpg

If you guys want post pictures of the rifle/s that you guys shoot so that we all can recognize each other at the range.

yea....yea.... i hope your scope fogs up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yea....yea.... i hope your scope fogs up!

</div></div>

That's messed up Dale! I hope it's windy so that you'll have an excuse!
wink.gif

So guys who's down for the 12th for a little friendly competition? We'll meet at around 0900?

18 big ones for non members or is it twenty
confused.gif
. Man I'm so sorry my brain is not cooperating with me right now...

It's also a good chance for guys who want to check out different optics. I have a PH 3-15 and Dale has a PH 3-15 as well and a USO SN3. Who's bringing an F1? I really want to look through one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onebadscrambler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a long drive, but who knows what the week will bring. How much for non-members? </div></div>

Hmmm... I wonder if a Coastie can out shoot a Marine?
grin.gif

That right there is a good reason for you to come! Haha!

I am sure you could. I have been out of practice for a little while. Last time I was at Manatee was about 2 years ago this Nov. Met with David Rooney(TacticalRifles.net) and Lakotah(from here on the Hide) down there. Tried out a few of TR's rifles. Interesting thing happened that day. My wife and David were at the line and Lakotah and myself were adjusting the plate at 1k. Well I guess they did not count golf carts because they called a hot range on us. Glad I brought my wife. My range only goes to 200yds. Have not fired rifle for a while. Children only like to shoot the pistols.

Wow that is some scary shit bro!
shocked.gif

And yeah I just talk a lot of crap I cant really shoot that well! Haha! We'll I hope a lot of guys can make it.

They have flashing lights on top of the carts now. Still something that needs to be watched for, as a thouand yards is a long friggin way out there. Especially when it's too wet to get out there and thoroughly hack away all the scrub growth...

I'll try and make it next Saturday. Who knows, maybe this old, low speed, high drag, wood pecker can shoot along side you young pups!

I am out. The wife is good for letting me know of prior obligations also. Some people keep a day planner, I just keep her. I do not have to write things down that way.
smile.gif

Plus this will give me a chance to warm that barrel back up before I come out to play.

I could not tell you if you asked. I grew up here in Lake County and other than occasionally reading about history in the newspaper do not have a clue.