• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Shooting bags filler media?

WARDOG

Mountain Man
Minuteman
May 27, 2009
Elk City, Idaho
I used to use sand, ultra fine white to coarse grit.
Now that lead shot is $30 a pound, what clever filling media have you found that works well with shooting bags? (Canvas and Nylon lead sled bags)
I have been looking at some kind of dense bean or grain at the health food store.
Since a Sh!tbag drunk driver gave me a permanent spine injury, I use several bags strategically placed to take the pressure off of my lower spine while shooting prone.
Since I use about 7 bags I would need a 4x4 cart to haul them all around due to weight.
I did a search but couldn't find if this has already been asked and answered.

Re: Shooting bags filler media?

I use popcorn and rice. Separate bags for each. Rice may do the trick for you since it is a bit denser. A mix maybe even best. Worse comes to worse you can eat it.
crazy.gif

Sam's Club and Costco have pretty big bags of either for not so much $.

Hope this helps!

I starve beavers.

Lan Astaslem

While in the Floral section at a local Arts and Crafts store,(yeah girlfriend, but what're you gonna do)I discovered plastic cyclindrical beads used for flower arrangments. $5 for a 1 to 2 pound bag. They are water proof and dont rattle.

Reactions: AKMarty

Your search-fu is WEAK, Grasshopper!!!!
wink.gif

There have been several threads over the last couple months about alternatives for media to fill bags with. Here is one from a few weeks ago with numerous responses:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2317099

Personally, poly pellets (small, #7 or so-shot-sized polymer stuffed animal stuffing) available from your local Wally-World, Arts & Crafts stores, etc. are the most lightweight, water resistant filler out there and my personal preference.

Reactions: Speed

Plastic pellets that are shipped in bulk for making all things plastic. About the same size and shape as rice, water proof, not real heavy, and they don't break down with use. Get them around here by the railcar and by truck. There is always some left in the railcar or truck that gets cleaned out and discarded. If there are any "blow molding" businesses in your area they will have them.

Poly pellets or also known as doll fill. It;s smaller than air soft BBs so if conforms better. You can find them online or at arts and crafts stores or even at Walmarts sometimes. Looks like this
http://www.wards5and10.com/fa32ozpopest.html

Beans, kitty litter and all that are fine until you actually use them in the field. Once they get wet, tell me how you like 'em....

There are so many well designed rear bags out there for relatively cheap that its SO much easier just to get one that's R&D's for the shooting you do. RedTac, TAB, Specialized Dynamics, jsut to name a few all have great gear (and support our hobby/sport).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WARDOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to use sand, ultra fine white to coarse grit.
Now that lead shot is $30 a pound, what clever filling media have you found that works well with shooting bags? (Canvas and Nylon lead sled bags)
</div></div>

Nevermind-you're talking about bench sled BS....

Fish tank sand from the pet store.

...even comes in pretty colors...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreever</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the untreated walnut media or corn cob media used for polishing brass. Much lighter than sand.

Danny </div></div>

I did the same.

Good luck,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beans, kitty litter and all that are fine until you actually use them in the field. Once they get wet, tell me how you like 'em....

There are so many well designed rear bags out there for relatively cheap that its SO much easier just to get one that's R&D's for the shooting you do. RedTac, TAB, Specialized Dynamics, jsut to name a few all have great gear (and support our hobby/sport). </div></div>

+1 on bag fill. Don't use anything that will take on moisture. Poly pellets are best.
I have prefilled bags from Triad Tactical and they work great in all conditions. You would just need to go to his web site and see if they fit your needs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Nevermind-you're talking about bench sled BS.... </div></div>
NOPE... I should clarify that. I use the Caldwell sled bags of varying thicknesses to get the height I need, but I don't shoot from a sled.
The doll stuffing stuff, and others are something I never thought of.

I must not be using the search feature correctly on this site, because I still can't search and find topics like this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WARDOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I must not be using the search feature correctly on this site, because I still can't search and find topics like this. </div></div>

Try using the Hide Google search engine linked to in my sig line below. I have found it to work better for me in many instances compared to the forum software search.

Good luck!!

I've used poly beads with great success. Orignally bought a bag at Walmart. Then got a friend that works at an injection molding plant to scoop a couple of jug fulls from a silo for me.

Reading the responses I see one that says go buy the right one. The OP already has one so that answer is invalid. OP wants to know what to put in his/her, already in possession, bag.. One suggestion was kitty litter and it was poh pohed because it might get wet. I would agree with the rice or beans, but kittly litter is designed to get wet and if you had the clumping variety, it would protect your equipment from water. But even better is put the kitty litter inside a plastic bag that fills the shooting bag.

I bought a bag that is shaped like a Cube. A local Kydex holster make was trying to find a way to use his discarded materials. Ground up Kydex doesn't slip and slide like beads.

If it’s not sand, lead or some variety of plastic, skip it. You don’t want it absorbing a gal dagum lick o’ rain.

Lead... stable as f*ck, heavy as f*ck
Sand... cheap as f*ck, will retain water for a while.
Plastics... cheap, various density, inert, non-absorbent.

A sealed plastic bag of anything, wont absorb anything. Just make sure to use a sealed bag.

The owner of Bull Bags said kitty litter...I argued and he said kitty litter.

No, I'm not using it out in the rain hunting....or competition. But I did fill my Bull Bag with kitty litter and it works well and doesn't weight too much.

If it gets wet, clumps, and I can't break it up....I'll buy more kitty litter.

Rear bags have plastic beads.....called nurdles in the plastics industry. Didn't know that and just recently tripped upon that trivia.

I spent some bucks and filled my bags with airsoft BB's. Water resistant, relatively dense, squeezes OK, not a ton to lug around.; but they could be cheaper.

Greg

i would avoid anything that could retain moisture such as rice or corn. if moisture gets in, it would likely mildew.

Freeze dried liberal tears.

Light weight, plenty around.

Reactions: 105gr