• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Shooting with both eyes open?

Wheres-Waldo

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2008
Unknown
I read about this in Guns Magazine (I think) and have been putting it into FOV a non-issue in high mag. optics.

The author made a point that the both eyes open aproach would also lend itself to a higher degree of cosistancy, due to your musclesnot having to contract repeatedly. Also, for peering through the scope for long periods for observation on the target, it sure is alot more comfortable.

Anyone else shooting with both eyes open for precision work?

Re: Shooting with both eyes open?

Yes.

It's a training issue, that's all, and is a great advantage for many reasons.

(1) It eases eye strain. Keeping one eye open and one closed is stressful.

(2) It allows better situational awareness.

(3) It allows faster transitions between targets, because you can spot the new target with the off-scope eye, roughly line the barrel up with it, and then find it through the scope.

Precision rifle, carbine, pistol - all same-same. Shoot with both eyes open.

Yup.

And when I use my scope for observation.

And when I shoulder the rifle.

And when I locate a target.

And when I adjust knobs.

And when I run the bolt.

And when I reload.

But I still squint when I shoot pistol.

I do. It seems to help me when mirage is a problem too.

I didn't know that there was any other way than both eyes open.
crazy.gif

David

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg264</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't know that there was any other way than both eyes open.
crazy.gif
</div></div>There is. You can close your non shooting eye, like this:
wink.gif

Of course, some pople close their shooting eye, and it shows. So, don't blink.

I will sometimes close my non-dominant eye to prevent getting confused by information, especially when shooting from the weak shoulder. I shouldn't do that, but I do.

Knowing what it is that you do, and what you want to change by training differently, is half the battle.

Any thoughts on right hand and left eye dominance combination.

If your talking about through a scope...there shouldn't be any thought...dont do it. You can get away with being right handed and using your left eye if it is dominant....but most "experts" will tell you that you can only get so quick and so accurate that way. If you are right handed...shouldn't be any problem using your right eye when looking through any non-open sight system. Even with both eyes open...just takes some getting use to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any thoughts on right hand and left eye dominance combination. </div></div>Practice shooting from both shoulders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone else shooting with both eyes open for precision work? </div></div>

Yep.

For precision, CQB, Shotgun and pistol.

I even do it when I am using a spotting scope or binos.
wink.gif

I shoot my rifle with one eye closed, but I shoot my .45 with both eyes open. I like the idea of having more field of view with both eyes open with handguns. Rifles not so sure of, I guess I'll have to try it out and see what happens.

Both eyes open always ..I want to be able to see a big F'n spider trying to get me while prone.

I was first taught to use both eyes open years ago by Jeff Cooper when using his "Scout Rifle". That really is the only way to use that concept. Since then I find myself using both eyes open with maybe just a bit of squint when shooting traditional scoped rifles.

scout1

I am left eye dominant and right handed.

For pistol, I shoot with my left eye squinting.

For LR rifle, I have a scope cap rigged to flip at about 10 o'clock. I put a little dab of hot glue on the stopping surface to get the cap to stick straight out. It perfectly obscures my left relative to my right's scope field of view.

Maybe I should train otherwise, but this works well for me.

Pistol, both open. Carbine with red dot or irons, both open. Precision rfile, non dominant closed. I have had trouble in the past with wandering impacts with both open so I stoped. Now that everything I own is topped with good quality optics maybe I should try again. I never figured out why that was by the way.

Shane

Some of us grew up being taught to shoot rifle and pistol with the weak eye closed. With practice and conciense effort I am able to shoot pistol, carbine, rifle with both eyes open and I experience much less eye strain. Rifle is proving the hardest to break the habit of one eye closed.

I do not have much difficulty with my right hand / left eye dominance when shooting a pistol or rifle when situational awareness is not an issue. Closing my dominant left eye works fine. It seems to be more of a problem when situational awareness is needed or when shooting trap or skeet when depth of field / tracking fast moving targets comes into play. I do agree that practice and concentration can help overcome these issues.

I always did this with shotgun and handgun. About a year ago I tried it with scoped rifles. Works very well, and doesn't take long to adjust.

Both eyes open can be very important in archery.
Dominate eye is looking through the peep and sight.
If target is coming from non-side, how can you see where it is?
By using both eyes, you get more complete picture.
It takes both eyes to get a good depth perception.
Try driving with an eye-patch over your weak eye.
Just let us know, so we won't be around.

TC

Well when it comes to the right hand shooter with the left eye dominance I tend to draw my pistol towards the left while I pivot my body right to compensate for the difference between eye to hand. But keeping both eyes open that is. You've got to have your awareness, its key. For the long rifle, I've tried many different ways to shoot right handed, but I can't do it. I trained my self to hold left and shoot left so my dominate eye has the benefit of straight line targeting. Keeping both eyes open as well. Just how I overcame the left eye dominance problem.

i was just about to post this because i always shoot with both eyes open and someone was asking me the other day why? I simply said thats how it works for me, i like having both eyes open for situational awareness... i seem to get a better view of impact with both eyes open too... but i also shoot left or right handed although right is dominant.

i do and its great for tactical comps

The military told me to keep them both open. years later I took a defense handgun course at front sight and they told me to close my support side eye. I thought they were crazy. But the proof was in the target. I was ten times as fast and ten times more accurate when I closed my support side eye.

When I tell people this they give me grief. A common, and very stupid response, is "but you loose your field of vision...what about other hostiles? You won't see them with one eye closed!"

The answer is obvious. You only close your support side eye when pointing in and firing. It takes a fraction of a second to do, and another to fire a controlled pair, by which time he is falling and you are doing your after action drills wih both eyes open again to snap out of your tunnel vision and to scan for more hostiles. So it is not like you're walking around all day with one eye closed. You do it only when you commit to fire, and only long enough to finsih firing your controlled pair, or at most a third shot...the head shot (in the real world it might be more like half a magazine but you get my point).

For rifles, with peep sights I find it helps as well. Once you add a red dot or a scope the dominant eye no longer needs help taking over...in my experience...so it is not as much of an issue. You eye might react differently though.

There is of course, a totally different school of thought on this. I am only telling you what works for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalCity</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> years later I took a defense handgun course at front sight and they told me to close my support side eye. I thought they were crazy. </div></div>

They are crazy. Any competitive handgunner keeps both eyes open. Get your money back.

I shoot with one open and I hope anyone shooting at me shoots with both eyes closed.

Shotgun...(clays or game) both eyes open so I can see the target at the earliest.

Scoped Rifle....for me it depends on the power of the scope....on higher x10+ scopes I can't get to feeling comfortable with both eyes open, even though I understand it is better for a variety of reasons already stated (CQB Situational Awareness is not an issue for me....but wind direction is). But on a RedDot or lower powered scope (x4) it seems easier with both open.

Iron Sights....I find it hard enough to see the target and hold the sight picture with one eye open....both eyes and I'd be totally scr3wed!

But it is like all things...practice, practice, practice until it becomes second nature.

Wikipedia explains it well:

<span style="font-style: italic">"The sensory pathway (rod or cone, bipolar, ganglion) is linked with its counterpart in the other eye by a partial crossover of each eye's fibers. This renders the effect in one eye carry over to the other.

The pupil gets wider in the dark but narrower in light. When narrow, the diameter is three to four millimeters. In the dark it will be the same at
first, but will approach the maximum distance for a wide pupil 4 to 5 mm... when only one eye is stimulated, both eyes contract equally. The constriction of the pupil and near vision are closely tied. In bright light, the pupils constrict to prevent aberrations of light rays and thus attain their expected acuity; in the dark this is not necessary, so it is chiefly concerned with admitting sufficient light into the eye."</span>

When one eye is closed it receives less light and dilates. Because the pupils dilate and contract together, the open eye dilates as well. Since both eyes are not functioning with the same ambient light, the open eye cannot focus properly. This causes the eye strain mentioned by others in the above posts.

Hope that helps.

Nathan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigNate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I fire shotgun, rifle, and bow with both eyes open. Only time I close is for short duration if there is glare/sun in the non-shooting eye.

BN </div></div>

+1 here. I shoot everything with both open. Just grew up shooting that way.

Pistol, shotgun and my AR I have always shot both eyes open. My Trijicon 1.25-4 accu-point really helped with the concept of both eyes open on a scoped rifle. I am slowly transitioning to both eyes open on my precision rifle. I am still learning, but getting quicker and better as I practice.

I think that having the capacity to shoot both ways can be a benefit.

Both eyes open, and I can see that big f'n spider (as stated previously). If I am in a hurry and the shot needs to count right now, I can shoot non-dominant closed as I am more trained that way.

Ogre

I grew up shooting a shotgun open sighted, and have never shot a high powered pistol. But the problem i have is my left eye is dominant over my right and i'm right handed. Sure it can break with training, but it takes some strain to focus with my right eye when looking through a scope. I also grew up shooting and being taught to close my left eye when shooting a precision rifle. I plan on breaking most of that when i get my Aimpoint in for my AR got to imply the bindon aiming concept.

Also when you all shoot can you see your round or your hits through the optic? I always blink when the rifle goes off and miss the shot hitting target. I do flinch a tad bit but it doesn't stop me from exhaling and making a correct trigger pull, just surprises me when the gun goes off and i don't see my shot or splash. At least not with my .308. I can do it with a 22-250 or 223 almost. I don't shoot as much as i used to due to college.

Interesting concept. Next time out to the range I will investigate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalCity</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The military told me to keep them both open. years later I took a defense handgun course at front sight and they told me to close my support side eye. I thought they were crazy. But the proof was in the target. I was ten times as fast and ten times more accurate when I closed my support side eye.

When I tell people this they give me grief. A common, and very stupid response, is "but you loose your field of vision...what about other hostiles? You won't see them with one eye closed!"

The answer is obvious. You only close your support side eye when pointing in and firing. It takes a fraction of a second to do, and another to fire a controlled pair, by which time he is falling and you are doing your after action drills wih both eyes open again to snap out of your tunnel vision and to scan for more hostiles. So it is not like you're walking around all day with one eye closed. You do it only when you commit to fire, and only long enough to finsih firing your controlled pair, or at most a third shot...the head shot (in the real world it might be more like half a magazine but you get my point).

For rifles, with peep sights I find it helps as well. Once you add a red dot or a scope the dominant eye no longer needs help taking over...in my experience...so it is not as much of an issue. You eye might react differently though.

There is of course, a totally different school of thought on this. I am only telling you what works for me. </div></div>

Those folks at Front Sight are a total fucking idiots. I've been shooting USPSA / IPSC for over 20 years and believe me if you want to shoot a handgun worth anything you better keep both eyes open. I'm right handed and left eye dominant and don't do anything goofy like squinting, moving to the dominant side etc. Just practice and work on the visual aspects of shooting.

Thank you Nathan, the science behind it make sense. Guess I need practice with both eyes open