• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short Barrel .308 question

pappy83

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2008
michigan
I have a velocity question, I put together a .308 rifle for daughter, she is small and the type of competing she does she has to move and carry the rifle. The rifle is a Savage Precision Carbine 1 in 10 twist, 14.5 inch with a fixed brake. The rifle shoots great groups with 168SMK, and 168Barnes triple shocks. I use 45.0 grains of RE-15, Magnum primer, and winchester brass, no pressure signs and 3 shot groups average .5 to .75 inch at 100yds the SMK have shot groups that measure .320 and .450. The velocity spread for the SMK is 2590 to 2610, and the barnes actually run a little faster. These were on 50 to 60 degree days. I lost on average 90 to 100fps over the barrel at 20inch stock but rifle shoots better actually now.. My question is do I have enough velocity with these bullets for her to shoot 700yds, we have a tactical shoot at old runway with 1000 yard range. The farthest she will have to shoot is 700 yards, or should I swith to 155's. here is a picture of rifle. thanks for any help.
Picture056.jpg

Re: Short Barrel .308 question

700yds will be no problem. Should even crowd 900yds.

Very nice... can't wait for my daughter to get a little older.

Thanks I was hoping they would. She has been going through our training since she was 11 now is 13, can run a glock, and M4 well enough to beat alot of grown men at tactical shoots in our area, shotgun slows her down or she might be beating alot more. Not to many 13 year olds do malfunction drills every sunday. Thanks for the response, guess I will go out next weekend and see how it goes.

Hay pappy what break did you go with? I have a 10fp I had cut back to 19" with a vortex but like the size of your better. This gives me a great reason to build another rifle.

It is a Williams Gun Sight brake, 31 hole, cut recoil down good enough my 90 pound daughter can shoot it from any position without discomfort. They are great people to deal with, and good pricing. Gun is loud though.

did you get it installed by williams? or buy the break and have it installed by someone else? Sorry for all the questions I love the size of that rifle

They installed it, had to be silver soldered because of barrel length.

last question I promise how long was the turn around time?